Mobile iPad cloud backup issues

Watkins Laura

Terrarian
my son had an ipad 1 with this app and several worlds and characters. we bought him a new ipad 2 and backed up the old ipad to the cloud. when we restored the new ipad from the cloud backup all of his progress was lost as well as all characters. is there any way to get that all back on the new ipad?

my son had an ipad 1 with this app and several worlds and characters. we bought him a new ipad 2 and backed up the old ipad to the cloud. when we restored the new ipad from the cloud backup all of his progress was lost as well as all characters. is there any way to get that all back on the new ipad?
Hi there @Watkins Laura, welcome to the forums. :)

When you backed up the old iPad to the cloud, did you do it using iTunes or did you do it using the in-game method described here: Mobile Backup Instructions

If you did a backup of the old iPad using iTunes it will save the game of Terraria, but will not save any characters or worlds inside the game. To save the characters and worlds to the cloud it has to be done in the game.

If you still have access to the old iPad and can copy the characters and worlds to the cloud within the game, go ahead and do that. Then see if they are on the new iPad.

If you've already copied the characters and worlds to the cloud within the game on the old iPad and do not see them on the new iPad, here are a few things to try.
  • Make sure the iCloud Drive is enabled on the new iPad, and that the Terraria app shows up in the "Apps using iCloud" list
  • Make sure that you are logged in to the same iCloud id. It's something that is simple, but that can be overlooked easily. Just doublecheck.
  • Log out of iCloud Drive, then log back in.
  • In the game, go to the screen that should have your cloud save slots, if they aren’t there, go back to the main menu, then go to the cloud screen again. Do this slowly, don’t move fast through the menus. And let it sit on the screen where it should show you your saves for awhile before going back to main menu. Sometimes going back and forth can pop them to come up. But go slowly.
If none of that works, the mobile version of Terraria will be receiving a huge update and your saves may be back on the new iPad when that happens (but only if they were moved from the old iPad inside of the game using the instructions that I linked above). There is no estimate of when the new update will come out.

Good luck Laura.

thank you so much for your reply! i have no idea how to back up the game to the cloud. we have never done that. i do have the old ipad with everything on it. how do i back it up?

thank you so much for your reply! i have no idea how to back up the game to the cloud. we have never done that. i do have the old ipad with everything on it. how do i back it up?
See this thread for detailed instructions that include screenshots. :)
Mobile Backup Instructions

And to be safe don’t delete any characters or worlds from the old iPad, even local ones that aren’t saved on the cloud.

ok i figured out most of it. i got the characters saved to the cloud and found them on the new ipad. we saved three worlds but only one shows up. and when i try to save the other two it says no slots are available. any ideas? i logged out of icloud on both devices and back in but that didn’t work.

ok i figured out most of it. i got the characters saved to the cloud and found them on the new ipad. we saved three worlds but only one shows up. and when i try to save the other two it says no slots are available. any ideas? i logged out of icloud on both devices and back in but that didn’t work.
Great news that you got the characters and at least one world on the new iPad.

When you try to save the other two and it says no slots are available, is it saying that on the old iPad or on the new iPad?

Back
Top Bottom