Resolved iPad Mini refusing to update

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthmorf

Treederator
Staff member
Hi,
I'm currently trying to help out a friend - it's not my device.

He cannot update to the latest version of Terraria - in the app store there's an option to update, but when it's clicked nothing happens.
Other apps can update fine, there's plenty of storage, and the device meets all the minimum requirements.
I've tried restarting the tablet and closing the app store and Terraria, but with no luck.

I'm not that versed in apple devices, so if anyone has any suggestions that'd be neat.

Hi,
I'm currently trying to help out a friend - it's not my device.

He cannot update to the latest version of Terraria - in the app store there's an option to update, but when it's clicked nothing happens.
Other apps can update fine, there's plenty of storage, and the device meets all the minimum requirements.
I've tried restarting the tablet and closing the app store and Terraria, but with no luck.

I'm not that versed in apple devices, so if anyone has any suggestions that'd be neat.
Sure darthmorf, "for a friend". :D

This is going to sound like a joke, but open the App Store, then tap on "Updates" 10 times and it will reset the App Store and then try to update again. If that doesn't trick it, then close the App Store completely (swipe it away), then open App Store, tap Updates in bottom right, super super fast tap Update All in top left, but you have to be soooo fast.

If those don't work a couple of things that I can think of off the top of my head...
  • What version of the iPad Mini is it? You can look on the back cover and you'll see numbers such as A1432, A1489, A1599, A1538. Mine is super duper small on the bottom of the back. "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China. Model A1566"
  • Silly thought but have to ask - Is it connected to the internet? Maybe try another wifi connection that's better?
  • What iOS is it on? Settings>General>About>Version
  • Make sure there's no restrictions to installing Apps. Settings>General>Restrictions>Installing Apps set to on

Sure darthmorf, "for a friend". :D

This is going to sound like a joke, but open the App Store, then tap on "Updates" 10 times and it will reset the App Store and then try to update again. If that doesn't trick it, then close the App Store completely (swipe it away), then open App Store, tap Updates in bottom right, super super fast tap Update All in top left, but you have to be soooo fast.

If those don't work a couple of things that I can think of off the top of my head...
  • What version of the iPad Mini is it? You can look on the back cover and you'll see numbers such as A1432, A1489, A1599, A1538. Mine is super duper small on the bottom of the back. "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China. Model A1566"
  • Silly thought but have to ask - Is it connected to the internet? Maybe try another wifi connection that's better?
  • What iOS is it on? Settings>General>About>Version
  • Make sure there's no restrictions to installing Apps. Settings>General>Restrictions>Installing Apps set to on
Sadly refreshing the app store didn't help.
It's a version a1489
It's in the same room as our router, and has a fine connection.
iOS 9.3.4.
It's a family tablet and someone in his family has added a restriction password - he has no idea who and needs to ask around. I suspect that this is the problem, and when he returns home he will ask about who set the password.

I'm remembering now that if the Installing Apps is turned off in the Restrictions that it completely hides the App Store icon from even being there. The fact that you can see the App Store means that Installing Apps is already turned on. So I shouldn't have even mentioned that option.

Two more things came to mind. Make sure the date on the iPad is the current date - sometimes the date is changed by device owners for other games (getting more lives in 30 hours, get a bonus chest in 3 days, etc).

You turned off and on the iPad. Have you tried a hard reset? Kill all apps (swipe away), then hold the Power button and the Home button at the same time for a bit, like 15 seconds. If it shows you the slide for Power Off don't even do that. Keep holding both buttons until you see the Apple logo.

Fixed, nice. What did the trick, or was it a combination of things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom