Is a "Smart" Teleporter System Useful?

Yiphix

Steampunker
Hey guys, it's been a while.

Before I left and throughout my hiatus, I've been thinking about the idea of a "smart" Teleporter system. I know Teleporter systems in general have been done to death, but I was thinking about something besides the smallest, quickest, or largest output Teleporter system. What if some algorithm could guess where you want to go. You could still have all the inputs you want, but one switch/lever could be automatically programmable by the machine. Would anyone use that?

I think I still might try to make it regardless because it would be fun, but in terms of use...

I think if it could get your choice right every single time it might be worth it, but I doubt something that sophisticated could ever be made in Terraria. But even if it had two or three, or even just one suggestion, would it be useful?

Another thing is would muscle memory cause you to use the Teleporter the way you always have, instead of checking the suggestion?

In short, is there any practical reason to include an algorithm to guess where you want to go in a Teleporter system, and if so, how would you approach building it, as well as what metrics would you use?

Is it more important to suggest places you go to often, in hopes that you'll need to go there again soon, or to suggest places you haven't been in a while, in hopes you need to get those supplies, etc. because you're running low.

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

In general, there are not too many spots to teleport to, so a teleporter hub with 48 destinations like this would be enough:
upload_2018-12-30_11-34-47.png

Or even with 93 destinations (you can't add more switches because they would be too far to reach without any accessories):
upload_2018-12-30_11-35-54.png

However, the idea is new and also not difficult to achieve. Although I can't see any practical reason to include this in a teleporter system, it's worth to make it for future.

Do you have a wiring pic for them, I'd be interested in seeing that
Nope. But I can post the techniques that theoretically support these designs.

Teleport to multiple far spots with minimal wiring:
upload_2018-12-30_15-7-14.png

Differ signals from densely put switches:
upload_2018-12-30_15-13-22.png

Decode signals from densely put switches:
upload_2018-12-30_15-10-51.png
upload_2018-12-30_15-22-3.png

Only the middle switch can activate the torch.

Last edited:
I've found a simple 4 way teleporter with 4 switches (1 per color of wire) is all I ever need, and that these massively confusing teleport hubs are always just over the top. Extremely over the top. Generally I put this system point blank to my home base, and I have 1 for hell, 1 for temple, 1 for dungeon, 1 for ocean. If I feel real fancy I can have 8 with 4 colors on either end of the teleporter, this being for a nice cave or a specific arena. But never has it happened that I *need* more than 4, much less 8

I can't find it really useful. I prefer using 4ways teleporters with a "You are here" map above the player, that links to other 4 ways teleporters. The tactics used to encode and decode signals are really interesting nonetheless even if it would become kind of obsolete with a mod letting wire system use integer and string values directly.

That's why we don't consider mod wiring. Mod is so powerful that it makes wiring trivial.

I can understand that,but there are moments, especially when it comes to deciding if something is useful or not, where putting wires and logic gates blocks that take half of the map space can make it instantly near from useless. I was just pointing that, when it comes to such complex structures that adds only a few features, the only use of vanilla wiring in my opinion in that case is feeling good you get when you finally made it work.

where putting wires and logic gates blocks that take half of the map space can make it instantly near from useless.
Yes, we often feel that we need some items to make wiring more convenient. But the thing is that we need to accept a standard on how powerful the items are, or we end up like "I'm gonna make a new mod to achieve this" instead of "I'm gonna think and create a new technic".

Also, the vanilla is updating. We used to only have hoiks and skeletons and some geniuses still made massive devices from them. Then there came the logic gates and dummies and all their achievements are past records. At this point, add even one wire colour and we have to redesign most devices. New features and functions bring new possibilities but also kill technics and thoughts. IMO, for games, thoughts are more important than possibilities. Some people may think vice-versa, depending on individual.

Is it really practical though? Maybe you would have different designs for different functions i.e boss arena, but it seems a lot cleaner and with a lot less headache to just have separate teleport systems for each location. I feel like finding and remembering the specific location of each specific switch/lever would be more time consuming than just placing the wire down regularly.

Yes, we often feel that we need some items to make wiring more convenient. But the thing is that we need to accept a standard on how powerful the items are, or we end up like "I'm gonna make a new mod to achieve this" instead of "I'm gonna think and create a new technic".

Also, the vanilla is updating. We used to only have hoiks and skeletons and some geniuses still made massive devices from them. Then there came the logic gates and dummies and all their achievements are past records. At this point, add even one wire colour and we have to redesign most devices. New features and functions bring new possibilities but also kill technics and thoughts. IMO, for games, thoughts are more important than possibilities. Some people may think vice-versa, depending on individual.

I'm not telling it's bad,nor dumb. It certainly is cool, impressive, and fun. If someone tells me I can build a catapult using only plastic coffee spoons,ci'm the first to go for it. My personnal world is filled with logic doors to store integers among other stuffs. But when it comes to multiplayer, we ended up using mods as those complex vanilla constructs were just too hard to use, especially for non tech poeple, and therefore useless.

when it comes to multiplayer
That makes sense. Wiring in multiplayer is glitchy and annoying. Some of my friends run a server. I told them I could help with wiring, but they said: NO. If a mod fixes wiring issues in multiplayer, please let me know. For complex stuffs in multiplayer, maybe try hoiks and dart-pads, they should work fine. Also afaik, avoid long wires.
[doublepost=1566237080,1566236891][/doublepost]
I feel like finding and remembering the specific location of each specific switch/lever would be more time consuming than just placing the wire down regularly.
You can label the switches with item frames, statues or signs.

Back
Top Bottom