Is anyone else completely unable to handle spiders?

Grand Paladin Tyrux

Empress of Light
I'm not even scared of them in real life (I actually usually find them cute :p) but the Terraria spiders just disturb me. It doesn't matter if its a Blood Crawler or a Wall Creeper or a Black Recluse, they freak me out. I can not handle venturing into a spider biome (still haven't gotten the Stylist, and I'm about to enter hardmode), and thank the spirits of light and dark that I have a Corruption world rather then Crimson. The hardmode jungle is going to be so much fun dealing with... If only Terraria had something like Minecraft's texture packs, so I could make them Slimes.

Basically, does anyone else feel the same way as me? :p

I've actually seen an unusually large number of people have such a crippling fear of spiders that they struggle with games including them.

Myself, I really don't like spiders, but this is leagues beyond my personal experience, and I've seen it on multiple game forums. On TO, there was an extensive thread where people actually requested an alternate game-mode with "non-spider alternatives" replaced the spiders in the game. Since then, the sheer amount of spider content has actually increased to include pets and summon items though.

Lucky for me that they are spiders, since i can handle them. Something completely different would be if they were cockroaches, they would make me quit the game and send re-logic some bomb mail.
Beetles are my number 1 fear that actually physically exist, ladybugs cute, honey bees cute, butterflies cute, cockroaches or assassin beetles, or boxelders? nopenopenope.

I've actually seen an unusually large number of people have such a crippling fear of spiders that they struggle with games including them.

Myself, I really don't like spiders, but this is leagues beyond my personal experience, and I've seen it on multiple game forums. On TO, there was an extensive thread where people actually requested an alternate game-mode with "non-spider alternatives" replaced the spiders in the game. Since then, the sheer amount of spider content has actually increased to include pets and summon items though.
Link to the thread please? I can handle Minecraft spiders for example just fine, but Terraria spiders are just nope. I really dunno what's different about these, even when I was a kid I was able to watch documentaries about giant prehistoric spiders just fine.

I can handle Minecraft spiders for example just fine, but Terraria spiders are just nope. I really dunno what's different about these, even when I was a kid I was able to watch documentaries about giant prehistoric spiders just fine.
They look more realistic, and also a bit more creepy IMO than the ones IRL, not sure, that's the way i see them even though i don't care 'bout them. Minecraft spiders are just like lego spiders, meh.

Well, spiders in this game seem pretty real, they way they move and their behavior. Just because you got Crimson, doesnt mean that there are no spiders. The scariest one for me is the black recluse. Thats a Nope Spider From Nopeville in F*ckthatnopeistan.
Yeah I know, that's what sucks. Spider Nests aren't essential to gameplay, I can run in, talk to the stylist and magic mirror out (I've actually had to mine around like 4 in my hellevator, which ruins the point of a hellevator :p), and I'm lucky enough to have Corruption, but the jungle is an essential part of gameplay, so that's going to be difficult to handle in hardmode.

Who wouldnt? Sure they say im not afraid.....till they get in the water with Great White Sharks in a feeding frenzy

I'd definitely be scared if I was actually in the water with sharks, but most things that could actually happen in real life don't scare me, like animals or heights. Sure I don't like some things like beetles or heights, but its not an enormous phobia. I don't know what it is with spiders in Terraria, like I said I love spiders in real life, but it must be the way they move or something, it just unnerves me.

I'm fine (barely) with most of them, but the black recluse' model freaks me out for some reason. It also bothers me much more when the spider is not climbing on the back wall.

They do look pretty realistic and creepy for a group of pixels... and they are much tougher then normal enemies. Their spawn rate is also ridiculous around spider nests, sometimes you can see dozens of them on screen at once.

At least the existence of cobwebs is finally justified

They really do. It must just be something about the way the sprites look and how they move. Also, seeing so many at once, its bad. I made a new world with the intent to fight the Brain of Cthulhu before entering hardmode on my main world, saw one Blood Creeper and exited fast.

Well its dark, and most of the light is covered by the webs and spiders can move through that to troll you.

Yeah, its really dark. I can look at images of the Terraria spiders just fine, so it has to be something about the way they move and the environment itself. I know there's a mod that replaces them with blobs, but I don't think its updated to the latest version. Ideally it would be nice if a toggle was implemented in-game, to transform them into black/crimson/jungle slimes that clung to the walls, no name change or drop chance, just appearance-wise.

You know you can break the spider nests with a hammer, right?

I know I can, but while doing so I'd be assaulted by spiders, and the ones in my world are pretty big. I tried once, and I wasn't able to stay down there long enough to even get remotely close to done.

Back
Top Bottom