Is anyone else completely unable to handle spiders?

Spiders don't scare me. However, they are pretty tough to fight in confined spaces in the game. They are especially difficult when you're under-geared for them!
Undergearing is the story of all my character's lives. I find a spider nest, I avoid it because usually I'll probably have Ebon/Shadewood armor when I find it. Woo, undergearing!

urgh... not this again.

You know, none of this actually fits any psychological definition of a phobia, or even an aversion.

It is pretty clear that people here are enjoying or getting-off on this made-up aversion... I would suggest therapy, but you will be laughed out of the Psych's office when you try and tell them you aren't really afraid of spiders and that it only applies to a videogame that you play all the time.

This is simply working yourself up to a point of emotional reaction.

Maybe... just... stop.

I don't think this counts as a fear.

I think if people sought some *actual* help for this issue... you would be told the same.

This is rather an insult to people who have real aversions and phobias. They are very limiting for peoples lives.

Try telling someone you have one, but only about animated spiders in a particular videogame... and see their reaction.

Or worse, try telling someone who works in psychology.

You do realise that phobias and aversions are irrational, right? How can people insult other people on the ground of things they do not have control over? People with the form of Tourettes that makes them swear uncontrollably are not considered rude, are they?

What you are stating is that you can't be not afraid of IRL things and be afraid of the same thing in fiction. Which is assuming that the thing in question is portrayed realistically in fiction. Is it that hard to assume that people can be afraid of human-sized, incredibly venomous spiders that attack you on sight (and even before sight), but not of tiny harmless (barring a tiny few) arachnids that you almost never see anyway?

Last edited:
They creep me out quite a bit, but I'm still okay with going in and fighting them. The worst is when you're mining towards a spider nest with a little bit of it illuminated and you can only just see them crawling past...

urgh... not this again.

You know, none of this actually fits any psychological definition of a phobia, or even an aversion.

It is pretty clear that people here are enjoying or getting-off on this made-up aversion... I would suggest therapy, but you will be laughed out of the Psych's office when you try and tell them you aren't really afraid of spiders and that it only applies to a videogame that you play all the time.

Maybe... just... stop.
I'm afraid of blue people on Avatar but not blue people on Destiny.

This is *totally* a real psychological disorder and should be taken as seriously as any other psychological issue.

It is totally not an insult to people who suffer real issues in the world...
I don't think this counts as a fear.

I think if people sought some *actual* help for this issue... you would be told the same.

This is rather an insult to people who have real aversions and phobias. They are very limiting for peoples lives.

Try telling someone you have one, but only about animated spiders in a particular videogame... and see their reaction.

Or worse, try telling someone who works in psychology.

What on Earth are you on about? How can someone even gain any good amount of positive emotion from making up a fear/phobia of something in a video game? No one is handing out buckets of sympathy here and no one is asking for it, either. No one was also comparing themselves to others with 'issues' in the outside world, so it is beyond me why you brought it up. It is just casual discussion.

Also, if a psychologist laughs at someone who has a fear of something as 'petty' as in a video game, then their status as a psychologist needs to be re-evaluated.

Personal attacks and insults are against the rules here. Post with respect or not at all.
urgh... not this again.

Maybe... just... stop.
Or... Maybe... Just... Shave... Your... Neckbeard...

What on Earth are you on about? How can someone even gain any good amount of positive emotion from making up a fear/phobia of something in a video game? No one is handing out buckets of sympathy here and no one is asking for it, either. No one was also comparing themselves to others with 'issues' in the outside world, so it is beyond me why you brought it up. It is just casual discussion.

Also, if a psychologist laughs at someone who has a fear of something as 'petty' as in a video game, then their status as a psychologist needs to be re-evaluated.

No... a psychologist would be quite right to giggle over this one.

An irrational fear or phobia is a complex and serious thing. Being afraid of pixel spiders in a game like Terraria smacks badly of childish attention-seeking.

This is not the first time this laughable subject has been brought up.

Even Sigmund Freud knew there were times where the answer was "Grow the **** up".

An irrational fear or phobia is a complex and serious thing. Being afraid of pixel spiders in a game like Terraria smacks badly of childish attention-seeking.

Even Sigmund Freud knew there were times where the answer was "Grow the **** up".

I really don't understand why this NEEDS to be 'childish' or 'attention speaking'. I'm just legitimately stating that the appearance and movement of Terraria's spiders freaks me out a bit, and the majority of posters have agreed with me. You're the only one acting aggressive, and if you feel so strongly on the matter and how 'childish' it is you'll be mature enough to stop posting these messages here.

You sound really smart and learned until you take a step back and realize there's an entire genre of games and market of gamers playing games meant to scare the player with pixels and all. Being scared of video games is nothing to shame someone over.

I have a fear of the deep ocean, thus the largely educational Wii game, Endless Ocean: Blue World, is impossible for me to play without someone else in the same room. However, I got the same sort of effect on my first ever run through Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Both are equally valid feelings, only one was intentional through design, the other was not. How does that work with your pseudo philosophy bull:red:?

Everyone needs to be a bit more respectful starting immediately, or this thread will go the way it did on TO, as a lock.

There is a lot that both sides here are missing. I'm saying this from the perspective and knowledge of someone with two degrees in psychology and who works in the field of counseling.

1. A phobia is classified as an irrational fear of something, with the caveat that it is having a significant impact on their life due to the things they cannot engage in, or the lengths they go to avoid it. (note that this is not the definition as defined by Wikipedia, but it skirts around that). An intense fear of something that is not having a clinically significant impact on the person's life is likely to NOT be diagnosed as a phobia. This means that a few of spiders as appearing only in the video game Terraria is unlikely to be diagnosed as a phobia, if only because "can't play Terraria" is not a clinically significant impact on one's ability to live. However, it fits the diagnosis in all other ways.

2. A psychologist or counselor worthy of the name wouldn't be "giggling" about it, or laughing at them. They would take the issue seriously, and attempt to propose solutions to the situation, the same way they would address a real phobia, though they might express the point above (that it is not necessarily a significant hindrance). Don't use the threat of "psychologists laughing at you" as a way to demean people who are afraid of the spiders in the game. Its insulting to those who are afraid and its insulting to my profession.

3. While phobias are a serious issue, and not one to be taken lightly, there seems to be a misunderstanding about how they should be handled. In virtually no scenario would a counselor encourage a phobia to be avoided wholesale. One of the scientifically proven elements of phobia reactions is that the fear increases with each subsequent "avoidance" of the fear trigger. Meanwhile, regular exposure to it generally decreases the fear response. To everyone who legitimately has a phobia, not a fear (those who have a phobia can usually tell the difference), I would highly recommend seeking some sort of exposure therapy for it. Seeking to get a mod made to avoid it in the game . . . it will only make the phobia worse. I'm saying this in complete seriousness with many hundreds of hours of studying the subject. It is, of course, your choice what you do, but keep that in mind.

4. Everything else aside, expecting Relogic to change the game to remove the spiders is highly unlikely; if anything, the inclusive of spider content is rising with each update. Something to consider.

No more insults, no more disrespecting people's fears, no more belittling concerns. Discuss the issue, or that will be the end of it.

You are going to need to fit the actual criteria of an aversion or a phobia for it to be clinically recognised and treated.

There are psychs I can find who recognise ''sex addiction'' as a serious illness... and many more who realise their science has been warped for self-serving ends.

You are going to have to go a long way to get this one treated as real... I suspect most of the people here who have this are kids. It's a little like working yourself up over a zombie movie and then telling a clinician that you have a fear of zombies.

After 5 pages of pseudo-crap I think any value this had is gone... please *do* lock this.

I'm not even scared of them in real life (I actually usually find them cute :p) but the Terraria spiders just disturb me. It doesn't matter if its a Blood Crawler or a Wall Creeper or a Black Recluse, they freak me out. I can not handle venturing into a spider biome (still haven't gotten the Stylist, and I'm about to enter hardmode), and thank the spirits of light and dark that I have a Corruption world rather then Crimson. The hardmode jungle is going to be so much fun dealing with... If only Terraria had something like Minecraft's texture packs, so I could make them Slimes.

Basically, does anyone else feel the same way as me? :p
When I first encountered both the Wall Creeper (Crimson), and the Creeper (Spider web biome) it freaked the heck out of me, my face just felt like this at this same time this way combined (o_O :O), I actually screamed a few times seeing these things xD. But that doesn't make me afraid of them in real life. I don't personally mind that I have a spider in my home, but if it were huge. Yes, I might make an idea about this to make them smaller, and more realistic lol.

When I first encountered both the Wall Creeper (Crimson), and the Creeper (Spider web biome) it freaked the heck out of me, my face just felt like this at this same time this way combined (o_O :O), I actually screamed a few times seeing these things xD. But that doesn't make me afraid of them in real life. I don't personally mind that I have a spider in my home, but if it were huge. Yes, I might make an idea about this to make them smaller, and more realistic lol.
Yeah, definitely. I have no problem with spiders that live around me, but if I lived in Australia I can definitely see myself developing a fear.

Yeah, definitely. I have no problem with spiders that live around me, but if I lived in Australia I can definitely see myself developing a fear.
God I could imagine worse.
Living in Miami in a desert, is even worse (Especially the horror of Cinapideas that exist in the darkness of your home, lurking towards you :3.)
But I'm in California (Thank god)
[DOUBLEPOST=1420942269][/DOUBLEPOST]
Everyone needs to be a bit more respectful starting immediately, or this thread will go the way it did on TO, as a lock.

There is a lot that both sides here are missing. I'm saying this from the perspective and knowledge of someone with two degrees in psychology and who works in the field of counseling.

1. A phobia is classified as an irrational fear of something, with the caveat that it is having a significant impact on their life due to the things they cannot engage in, or the lengths they go to avoid it. (note that this is not the definition as defined by Wikipedia, but it skirts around that). An intense fear of something that is not having a clinically significant impact on the person's life is likely to NOT be diagnosed as a phobia. This means that a few of spiders as appearing only in the video game Terraria is unlikely to be diagnosed as a phobia, if only because "can't play Terraria" is not a clinically significant impact on one's ability to live. However, it fits the diagnosis in all other ways.

2. A psychologist or counselor worthy of the name wouldn't be "giggling" about it, or laughing at them. They would take the issue seriously, and attempt to propose solutions to the situation, the same way they would address a real phobia, though they might express the point above (that it is not necessarily a significant hindrance). Don't use the threat of "psychologists laughing at you" as a way to demean people who are afraid of the spiders in the game. Its insulting to those who are afraid and its insulting to my profession.

3. While phobias are a serious issue, and not one to be taken lightly, there seems to be a misunderstanding about how they should be handled. In virtually no scenario would a counselor encourage a phobia to be avoided wholesale. One of the scientifically proven elements of phobia reactions is that the fear increases with each subsequent "avoidance" of the fear trigger. Meanwhile, regular exposure to it generally decreases the fear response. To everyone who legitimately has a phobia, not a fear (those who have a phobia can usually tell the difference), I would highly recommend seeking some sort of exposure therapy for it. Seeking to get a mod made to avoid it in the game . . . it will only make the phobia worse. I'm saying this in complete seriousness with many hundreds of hours of studying the subject. It is, of course, your choice what you do, but keep that in mind.

4. Everything else aside, expecting Relogic to change the game to remove the spiders is highly unlikely; if anything, the inclusive of spider content is rising with each update. Something to consider.

No more insults, no more disrespecting people's fears, no more belittling concerns. Discuss the issue, or that will be the end of it.
So basically lets say you are addicted to play a horror game called Five Nights At Freddy's (A horror inde game), but over time playing it you get really worried it actually exists, become afraid of the dark, start seeing illusions (Something that looks like its there, but really it isn't.) etc. Would you be consedirired to have Phobia in your life if you were really that scared of it?

After 5 pages of pseudo-crap I think any value this had is gone... please *do* lock this.

I'd rather remove problem posters from a thread than lock the thread, if possible.

So basically lets say you are addicted to play a horror game called Five Nights At Freddy's (A horror inde game), but over time playing it you get really worried it actually exists, become afraid of the dark, start seeing illusions (Something that looks like its there, but really it isn't.) etc. Would you be consedirired to have Phobia in your life if you were really that scared of it?

That doesn't exactly fit the definition of a phobia. Not that what you define isn't a serious thing, but its not quite the same . . . closer to a break from reality than a phobia.

I'd rather remove problem posters from a thread than lock the thread, is possible.

That doesn't exactly fit the definition of a phobia. Not that what you define isn't a serious thing, but its not quite the same . . . closer to a break from reality than a phobia.
I never played the game its self, I have watched a video, and that's it. But its been going on for quite awhile since Nov something ._..

I never played the game its self, I have watched a video, and that's it. But its been going on for quite awhile since Nov something ._..

Phobia or not, one of the most common criteria for ANY psychological diagnosis is the following: that it has a clinically significant impact on the ability of the person in question to cope and function in normal life. If you think that it is having such an impact that it is interfering with your life, then please, seek help for it. If not, then I would consider it in a less serious light. (and now back on the topic of spiders)

Phobia or not, one of the most common criteria for ANY psychological diagnosis is the following: that it has a clinically significant impact on the ability of the person in question to cope and function in normal life. If you think that it is having such an impact that it is interfering with your life, then please, seek help for it. If not, then I would consider it in a less serious light. (and now back on the topic of spiders)
Ah ok, thank you.

To be honest, I have no clue why anyone who doesn't get a little scared of them at all would even be posting on this thread. After all, this asks who is scared of them, and saying that you're not doesn't really... add anything, if you know what I mean. Though it's nice to see other's opinions.

I'll never figure out as to why I'm scared of these pixels, but I think that maybe it's the size and the sheer amount of them you see within a spider cave, and partially because I'm afraid of them in real life. They spawn the most out of any other thing... and I kinda support the idea due to the fact I'm not at all scared of Blood Crawlers, which should be even creepier.

The same goes for Minecraft, with Cave Spiders. As a comparison, I didn't really mind them at all until I discovered a Mineshaft, where they'd all spawned at once. They're nearly impossible to defeat if they group on you... and I used to spawn the things all the time in creative before encountering a Mineshaft. And now, ever since I got 'rekt' by them, I've been frightened to enter Mineshafts in general ever since, and even seeing one alone makes me flinch.

The way I see it, it's sort of a fear that I inflicted onto myself, which transferred into my fear for the Wall Crawlers upon them being introduced. The sheer force and all the cobwebs is just similar to what I've already experienced before, so it just kinda... resurfaces.

Though, what the hell, that probably doesn't even come close to being right! ;)

Back
Top Bottom