Is anyone else completely unable to handle spiders?

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/arachnophobes.114280/

Here is another, shorter one with an old link to a mod that turns them to blobs. Not sure if it still works.
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/which-xnb-file-are-the-spiders-in.111697/

What I find odd is that this seems to be the only phobia that shows up and messes with people who play games. Fear of snakes never seems to scare people away from video games, and there are plenty of other fears (claustrophobia seems fitting here), including tons of other insectoid ones, that could really mess with people. But only arachnophobia seems to actively prevent people from playing a game.
Actually, I don't have any phobia's, but these creatures from block story always prevented me from playing the game. dunno why though :/

Yeah, definitely. I have no problem with spiders that live around me, but if I lived in Australia I can definitely see myself developing a fear.

See, since I've been in this topic a lot (outside of TCF/TO), I've done a bit of research about them and their danger to specifically humans. This is taken off the wiki for the Brazillian Wandering spider, known as one of (if not the most) venomous spiders.

What I've written is quite a long read, and does talk about spiders, scorpions and snakes. So I'll dump it in a spoiler. Also in advance, I didn't include any pictures.

Spider mouthparts are adapted to envenom very small prey; they are not well-adapted to attacking large mammals such as humans. Some experts believe that various spiders like Phoneutria can deliver a "dry" bite to purposely conserve their venom, as opposed to a more primitive spider like Atrax that usually delivers a full load.[citation needed] A study in March 2009 suggests that Phoneutria inject venom in approximately one-third of their bites, and only a small quantity in one-third of those cases. Another study similarly suggested that only 2.3 percent of bites (mainly in children) were serious enough to require antivenom.[16]

Despite their reputation as the world's deadliest spiders,[2] there are multiple studies that call into question their capacity for fatal human envenomation, though some of these are labeled with a level of uncertainty, as Phoneutria are often confused with other genera of ctenids, lycosids or other large labidognatha spiders. Of the eight described species,P. nigriventer and P. fera most frequently receive mention in mass-media publications. P. nigriventer is the species responsible for most cases of venom intoxication in Brazil because it is commonly found in highly populated areas of southeastern Brazil, such as the states of São Paulo, Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro and Espírito Santo. The speciesP. fera is native to the northern portion of South America in the Amazon of Brazil, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru and the Guyanas.

And I've talked to some people who have decent knowledge about spiders and scorpions. They aren't as deadly as people make them out to be because their venom is localised; it only affects and spreads slowly on the area of the bite. In the case that antivenom is needed, you actually have a lot more time than you would expect to get it sorted. And most cases, people just get ill for a while and recover back to normal completely.

The seriousness of the case also depends strongly on where the bite occurred. The most likely bites are on the limbs, where people put their feet in boots/shoes or try to reach out to some dark areas of their house with their hands. These cases, since the bite is way too far away from any organs or other important parts of the body, is almost, if not completely, an impossibility to be fatal. It will be very painful and uncomfortable, but far from life threatening.

Where deaths can occur is with small children (because, well, they're small) and when the bite occurs on important areas, namely the chest where the heart is or on the head. Both cases are very, very unlikely to happen. There was a documentary I watched before about a woman militant getting stung by the third most venomous scorpion in Afghanistan. It was a race before brain damage and death could occur, but eventually they got the antivenom to her and all was well.

This is another well-known spider (especially in Australia) that I have got information about (since I had to deal with them while living in the United Arab Emirates):

The redback is one of the few spider species that can be seriously harmful to humans, and its preferred habitat has led it to being responsible for the large majority of serious spider bites in Australia. Predominantly neurotoxic to vertebrates, the venom gives rise to the syndrome of latrodectism in humans; this starts with pain around the bite site, which typically becomes severe and progresses up the bitten limb and persists for over 24 hours. Sweating in localised patches of skin occasionally occurs and is highly indicative of latrodectism. Generalised symptoms of nausea, vomiting, headache, and agitation may also occur and indicate severe poisoning. An antivenom has been available since 1956, and there have been no deaths directly due to redback bites since its introduction.

The very last part of that paragraph is key. Now, why am I saying all of this? It's mainly because people develop a fear of spiders because of their danger, when there are far more fatal lurkers that definitely can kill. These are, of course, snakes. This example I will post is not the most venomous, but one of the 'Big four' in India which bites; the Common Krait

Kraits are nocturnal, so seldom encounter humans during daylight hours; incidents occur mainly at night. Frequently, little or no pain occurs from a krait bite, and this can provide false reassurance to the victim. Typically, victims complain of severe abdominal cramps, accompanied by progressive paralysis. Once bitten, the absorption of the venom into the victim can be considerably delayed by applying a pressure bandage to the bite site (using about the same tension as one uses for a sprained ankle) and immobilising the area. This allows for gentle transport to medical facilities, where the venom can be treated when the bandage is removed. As no local symptoms present, a patient should be carefully observed for signs of paralysis (e.g., the onset of ptosis) and treated urgently with antivenom.

It is also possible to support bite victims by mechanical ventilation, using equipment of the type generally available at hospitals. Such support should be provided until the venom is metabolised and the victim can breathe unaided. If death occurs, it takes place about four to eight hours after the krait bite. Cause of death is general respiratory failure, i.e. suffocation.[7]

Often during the rainy season, the snakes come out of their hiding places and find refuge inside dry houses. If bitten by a krait while sleeping, a victim may not realize he has been bitten, as the bite feels like of an ant or mosquito. The victim may die without waking up. Krait bites are significant for eliciting minimal amounts of local inflammation/swelling. This may help in species identification if the snake has not been seen.

The few symptoms of the bite include: tightening of the facial muscles in one to two hours of the bite; inability of the bite victim to see or talk, and, if left untreated, the patient may die from respiratory paralysis within four to five hours. A clinical toxicology study gives an untreated mortality rate of 70-80%.

Again, the last paragraph is key. I'm trying to compare spiders, which rarely kill, to a snake which kills when it bites 75% of the time on untreated victims. So, if anything, what people rightly need to fear when going to somewhere in Australia is snakes.

Now, I don't want to scare anyone here, I'm just giving a damn tonne of clarification (which I hope is correct by all means). The reason for all of the deaths in India by snakes is largely due to how the majority of the population have insufficient means to prevent snakes from simply slithering into their house and biting. Simple things like a raised bed and at the very least a door to a house would slice the amount of deaths considerably. And since most of Australia's citizens are much better off than the lower class of citizens in India, it is still a rare thing to be expect.

I'm also not trying to say people's irrational fear is stupid because of the greater dangers in the world, as I completely understand the topic of irrational fear in itself. This wall of text is mainly meant to be informing, not disproving or ridiculing. There is a lot of misleading information in the world that exaggerates the dangers of something and as a result causes some unjustified fears of them which would otherwise not occur if the person fully understood the danger.

Edit: Fixed quoting by adding more quotes, as putting quotes in a spoiler disables the ability to scroll down the quote for some reason.

For some reason, the spiders never bothered me until the Black Recluses. I'm not arachnophobic, I was just terrified of them because they killed me in like two seconds.

I'm not scared of the spiders in Terraria, but they have been known to make me spooked if I'm not looking or they catch me off-guard.

Everyone else seems to have serious issues with spiders... In current playthrough, house has a cave that leads into spider nest. First thing I do after I kill the WoF... is to kill it again, get the CaR, and grind spiders (for a summoner friend).

IMO they're not that strong... was in Necro Armor and was completely fine.

They scare me, but I can handle them, and when I was building my hellevator and saw my first spider next while I was digging I freaked out.

To everyone it concerns, I've dabbled in a lot of mental engineering in my time. That's not to say I have one of those fancy degrees but one thing I can tell you is that avoiding your fears will only make you more susceptible to fear. This is why I have a problem with shelter culture. Sheltering yourself from bad things only lets the bad things keep their power over you. When you say "I'm afraid of spiders, please remove them from the game!" What I hear is "I refuse to better my own mind." A game is the best place to start on your path to beating your fear.

Caveat: Not fearing spiders doesn't mean you should go touch every spider you come across. Spiders can be dangerous. But the trick is to be aware of the spiders, not fear the spiders.

#NECROING

I am scared of spiders IRL and in-game. Their creepy long and skinny legs moving are just BLASFkjaloidyjthf;auhsdfoiausdfo me.

Beside the psychological effects, I hate the way they appear out of nowhere and have amazing mobility, so they have a decent chance of killing you.

First time I went into underground crimson (my first time in 1.2) I was in the dark, and I suddenly got attacked a Blood crawler. That's the only jumpscare ive ever had besides dungeon guardian.

To everyone it concerns, I've dabbled in a lot of mental engineering in my time. That's not to say I have one of those fancy degrees but one thing I can tell you is that avoiding your fears will only make you more susceptible to fear. This is why I have a problem with shelter culture. Sheltering yourself from bad things only lets the bad things keep their power over you. When you say "I'm afraid of spiders, please remove them from the game!" What I hear is "I refuse to better my own mind." A game is the best place to start on your path to beating your fear.

Caveat: Not fearing spiders doesn't mean you should go touch every spider you come across. Spiders can be dangerous. But the trick is to be aware of the spiders, not fear the spiders.
You`re like a motivational speaker man.

Back
Top Bottom