Is anyone else sad that the Hallow isn't "good?"

ShadowTiger

Duke Fishron
When I first saw the Hallow in the spoilers and previews for patch 1.1, you should've seen how bright my face lit up. I was honestly tremendously excited for something that I could consider to be the wholesome natural counter to the world evil of the corruption (or later, the crimson.)

The Hallow had had Unicorns and Pixies in them! Those are generally good, wholesome, uplifting things! Rainbows and multicolor trees! The background music was SO UPLIFTING! Oh my god, I just wanted to revel in it.

Then everything attacked me. I was so confused. Like... I just unleashed all of you. I am actively spreading the Hallow to make more of you. I am clearly fighting your enemies. Why are you all attacking me? o_O

Am I the only one that feels this way? I don't want to kill any of the cool hallowed creatures in there, and I certainly don't want to feel targeted by anything "goodly." I can't even bring myself to play an evil character in an RPG without mentally apologizing until the end of days!

I like how the hallow actually becomes a completely passive biome if you bring it into a prehardmode world. It makes me think that perhaps it IS good after all, just angered that you happened to break the seal and release eldritch beasts into the world (even if that includes itself).

It makes me wonder... Was the hallow voluntarily sealed for the "greater good"? Perhaps it sat nicely in whatever alternate plane/limbo it was caged in as opposed to the Crimson/Corruption, whose chaotic nature could have been constantly trying to escape, eventually cracking the seal and seeping through?

Either way, it's somehow always made sense in my head. :p

The Hallow is good, but the player simply isn't. The player keeps putting their nose in areas where they should not be.
If you build a house from wood and do nothing but live on the surface, there's no problem, apart from some creatures trying to eat your face, but that's the same in real life.
But nope, you keep digging deeper, trying to sate your curiosity, digesting crystals, receiving unnatural health boosts, awakening horrors from the past, and eventually unleashing a forgotten curse through a sacrifice.

The Hallow pops up to stabilize the world, to counter the influx of Corruption, not to help the player. The player is the cause of all this damage, so why would the Hallow help the player?

Edit: I found my old post where I explain why the player is the worst thing to happen to the planet:

Last edited:
The Hallow is good, but the player simply isn't. The player keeps putting their nose in areas where they should not be.
If you build a house from wood and do nothing but live on the surface, there's no problem, apart from some creatures trying to eat your face, but that's the same in real life.
But nope, you keep digging deeper, trying to sate your curiosity, digesting crystals, receiving unnatural health boosts, awakening horrors from the past, and eventually unleashing a forgotten curse through a sacrifice.

The Hallow pops up to stabilize the world, to counter the influx of Corruption, not to help the player. The player is the cause of all this damage, so why would the Hallow help the player?

Edit: I found my old post where I explain why the player is the worst thing to happen to the planet:
Wow. That's just, wow

I don't think the player is evil, just a victim of colossally bad luck. Literally everything about the guide voodoo doll happens entirely on accident, and therefore the wall of flesh does too (which means that, at least on your first playthrough, it's self defense). Also, there isn't really any indication hell is even down there, how is the player not supposed to find it eventually?

People who have played the game before and know what they're doing are definitely heartless spawn of satan, though :p

In short, it entirely is up to the player's choices as to whether they're good, evil, or just trying to survive.

On my first playthrough, I didn't actually realize there were bosses, so I didn't end up fighting any bosses until Wall of Flesh (and yes, I did end up killing him with ancient shadow armor (gained through extreme luck from the few eaters I had killed) and a diamond staff). The only reason I even did find the underworld is because I just wanted to fill in my map, and I tended to avoid combat unless absolutely necessary. The old "voodoo demon over lava" happened, and... well... I thought I was being attacked unprovoked. I ended up killing the wall first try (even though I can't seem to replicate killing him with that gear again... I think I just really overprepared as far as potions)

I ended up killing the eye on the first night of hardmode. I guess that was when my journey to being an evil force with intentions of doom truly began. ;)

Last edited:
I don't think the player is evil, just a victim of colossally bad luck.
Yeah, I don't think I've specifically said that the player is evil. They're more like a blundering idiot, sticking their nose in places where they shouldn't and causing a lot of damage because of it. Nevertheless, the player's stupidity isn't a reason for the Hallow to spare them. Ignorance is not a get out of jail for free card.

Anyway, to each their own game lore of course! This game having no lore makes it all the more fun to come up with your own stuff.
(And no, that pitiful excuse for "official lore" doesn't count. I love Re-Logic, but sorry guys, that stuff is horrible.)

Back
Top Bottom