Other Is Cross-Platform Terraria a thing?

TheLonelyPixel

Terrarian
Its been almost 6 years since Terraria mobile and console was released. Since then, Terraria fans have been desperately wanting a culmative update for Terraria that would unite all versions of Terraria. People have been constantly asking about when such an update might come. Originally the "cross-platform update" was set to release in late 2016. As of writing this it is late 2019, 1.4 is soon to release, and we have yet to see this update. I tried searching the web for an answer on if we would even get this, and I was unable to find a definitive answer. So I will ask right now, will there be an update to unite Terraria PC, mobile and console, or not.

I'm pretty sure we're never gonna see cross platform, it would mess too much with the modding community. They might make the current version a PC version just for mods and then a brand new cross platform version (like with Minecraft's Java version and Bedrock/Windows 10 Edition), but that seems very unlikely given the amount of work it would take and given how long it takes them to release even normal updates. Personally, I would buy a brand new version of Terraria for full game price (60$) if they released a cross platform version, but they seem to have other priorities. To be honest, I feel like they sold themselves short only asking for 20$ per copy of the game, as I have four console copies, two mobile copies, which is even less expensive, and a steam version for PC. I gladly would have paid more as I'm a huge fan of Terraria.

/Edit:
The reason I have so many console copies is because I used to spend so much time playing Terraria that my parents would take away my disc, and then I'd just go buy another copy. When I turned 18 I got all my copies back so now I have a ton lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Cross-platform between mobile and pc might be a thing some time in the future when both are at the same version (presumably 1.4). For consoles the future looks bleaker, both Sony and MS forbids breaking out of the 'walled garden' for most games (there are some exceptions). MS allows cross-play between pc and console if both uses Xbox Live to communicate, and/or uses dedicated servers.

Fun fact, if you somehow manage to get Terraria back to 1.3.0.7 you'll realize that Cross platform play is definitely a thing.
1569967495665.png

1569967511339.png

Given the fact that PC runs on the Microsoft XNA framework, and the others ported by pipeworks and 505 run Unity, I don't think there will be.

Also the above post needs more evidence to support your claim.

If we were to see a cross platform, it'd be probably the same way Microsoft did it, by porting the mobile to PC rather than the other way, as unity is a newer and more suitable framework, and it runs all of the other devices terraria runs on.

Cross platform between PC and mobile has been hinted quite a few times, and the current mobile version has assets somewhat compatible with PC software like older versions of TEdit and TShock... so it may not be a dream anymore.

Also many of the PC bugs have found their way into mobile, meaning the physics are identical. Take the fact you can in both versions walk through walls with staircases.

Here is a post on reddit explaining how to crossplay with the Mobile Version. I could even show you the full Discord conversation of the guy looking at another crossplay pic, thinking it's a fake, and then finding out by his surprise that it is possible.

Huh! That's really cool, also reaffirming my suspicions that such would be possible... Quite likely this was planned since 1.3 and that's why it works, and you have to rollback version just to have the same version as on mobile. Since 1.4 is the final update (Aside from bug fixes obviously with patches), That will mean that in 1.4 yes, there will be a final working cross platform multiplayer... Crazy how hard it must've been to get XNA and Unity to play nice.

is a post on reddit explaining how to crossplay with the Mobile Version. I could even show you the full Discord conversation of the guy looking at another crossplay pic, thinking it's a fake, and then finding out by his surprise that it is possible.
Yes... YES. This is amazing news. It makes sense too, considering the whole "One Terraria" idea doesn't really make sense without this.

I meant turning console edition into tmodloader with selected mods (for example, thorium or calamity), and have that crossplatform with tmodloader on pc. TModloader i believe can still play vanilla, albeit currently outdated( i play switch, sorry if im wrong) and other platforms. Both tmodloader and console are currently on 1.3.5, and if they update together that means easy cross platform(besides unity, idk how that would work lol)

I meant turning console edition into tmodloader with selected mods (for example, thorium or calamity), and have that crossplatform with tmodloader on pc. TModloader i believe can still play vanilla, albeit currently outdated( i play switch, sorry if im wrong) and other platforms. Both tmodloader and console are currently on 1.3.5, and if they update together that means easy cross platform(besides unity, idk how that would work lol)
Mods aren't coming to console. People have been asking for years and the answer has never changed.

Back
Top Bottom