Is Medusa bugged or just overpowered?

Puppetmaster

Terrarian
I've fought three medusa in the last hour and they've all done the same thing. They start doing their attack animation, then it instantly cancels and I instantly get stoned. Are they not supposed to have to scream at you for about a second for you to get stoned and instakilled?

Some monsters have to be annoying in order to make game harder/more interesting. Medusa was getting on my nerves too but finally I made it to accomodate to her behavior and deal with her.

So the solution is just run away? If I'm going to get instantly killed I don't see why the enemy is even in the game.

i'd like her not to drop you out of minecarts and already attached hooks, other than that she seems fine.

they fixed stoning from off screen, they fixed line of sight, they make noise and light and you have to be facing them. so mostly just don't jump around like a jackass in marble biomes ;)

i'd like her not to drop you out of minecarts and already attached hooks, other than that she seems fine.

they fixed stoning from off screen, they fixed line of sight, they make noise and light and you have to be facing them. so mostly just don't jump around like a jackass in marble biomes ;)
They spawn outside of marble biomes, and they can still stone you from off screen if you're not at the maximum resolution.

Medusa is OP if you aren't using max resolution
since i'm stuck with 1366x768 i've gone

The way of the mods! GASP! I have started using tModloader in conjunction with the Quality of Life mod for tModloader 1.3.07 to make the blindfold/ankh/ankh shield prevent blindness

i hate medusas so much its unreal. Theyve killed me at the absolute worst times, like when a hallowed mimic randomly spawns, or when ive just settled in to farm souls. I agree with @Pseudoname about not dropping out of hooks. since she can kill any player with any gear simply by stoning you in the air.
What would also make sense, would be that while stoned, you would gain a little defence while stoned. so its harder to get killed while stoned, and you get a chance to survive and counter.

i hate medusas so much its unreal. Theyve killed me at the absolute worst times, like when a hallowed mimic randomly spawns, or when ive just settled in to farm souls. I agree with @Pseudoname about not dropping out of hooks. since she can kill any player with any gear simply by stoning you in the air.
What would also make sense, would be that while stoned, you would gain a little defence while stoned. so its harder to get killed while stoned, and you get a chance to survive and counter.
I do not mean any of this as an insult to the Devs, and I respect their decision to leave her as is.

Shame there isn't much point in saying these things because after 28+ pages of complaints, suggestions, balance fix ideas the devs have gone the way of the brick, and stated "NO THIS ISN'T WHAT WE INTEND" so as it stands they won't change anything because even though it ruins it for people who don't have 1920x1280p resolution or whatever the max is, they feel that it is fine as is, and i'm too tired to keep trying. :sigh:

I've generally chosen not to participate in the Medusa discussions because they've been so heated and argumentative (also, I've had zero problems with Medusa myself, other than momentary annoyance), but if it were up to me and I had my 'druthers, I feel much the same as @PulseFox: While turned to stone, players should gain a lot of defense.

Also, enemies should stop trying to attack the player while turned to stone. After all, they've become an unmoving statue.

Furthermore I don't believe stoning should work unless there's enough ambient or artificial light to actually see the Medusa's face, but I doubt Terraria's scripting engine would support such a feature.

Of course, none of this will prevent you falling to your death if stoned (heh heh, double entendre), but that's acceptable. Bring a horseshoe, horseshoe balloon, or wings when digging if you want to ensure you don't die from falling.

I've generally chosen not to participate in the Medusa discussions because they've been so heated and argumentative (also, I've had zero problems with Medusa myself, other than momentary annoyance), but if it were up to me and I had my 'druthers, I feel much the same as @PulseFox: While turned to stone, players should gain a lot of defense.

Also, enemies should stop trying to attack the player while turned to stone. After all, they've become an unmoving statue.

Furthermore I don't believe stoning should work unless there's enough ambient or artificial light to actually see the Medusa's face, but I doubt Terraria's scripting engine would support such a feature.

Of course, none of this will prevent you falling to your death if stoned (heh heh, double entendre), but that's acceptable. Bring a horseshoe, horseshoe balloon, or wings when digging if you want to ensure you don't die from falling.

1. While turned to stone, the player would become much more brittle and fragile, which is also why fall damage is increased.
2. I'd like to see mobs ignore stoned players, although that kind of defeats the point of Medusa being a mob, since then their primary attack would be killing the player via fall damage, rather than by stoning them in order to get close enough for them and other mobs to attack the player undisturbed.
3. As Zalminen pointed out, fall damage due to being stoned cannot be prevented with any of those accessories. (I'm not certain if the maximum height before taking fall damage is affected though, by accessories such as the frog leg.)

I've been informed that the falling to death, despite having fall prevention accessories, is expected functionality and is working as intended. In my experience, instances of "not dying" are a result of taking damage and having invincibility frames upon impact (saving you from the fall damage).

On another note, here's Cenx's response to a similar thread from a while ago:
Post #636 (quoting is inconvenient since the thread's been locked):
https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...rf-the-medusa-enemy.23145/page-32#post-626943

Honestly, this matter's been beaten to death by now.

Come on, guys. Medusa has been incredibly nerfed already. I was farming for a rod of discord last night and there was marble nearby, so occasionally Medusa came looking for me. Killed her countless of times, only dying once due to her petrifying me while I was in the air and not paying attention.
You can see her face light up and it takes a second or two before she petrifies you. All you have to do is look into the other direction while Medusa is charging up to avoid being petrified and you have plenty of time to do it.

That'd turn something dangerous into something mildly annoying. Enemies should definitely keep attacking you when you're petrified or there's no danger to it.

Thankfully Medusa fixes this problem herself since her face lights up pretty clearly before she petrifies you.

Any kind of fall damage preventing accessory is canceled out while petrified.

Come on, guys. Medusa has been incredibly nerfed already.

I have no desire to see Medusa nerfed. That was merely my personal take on how the mechanics ought to work. I have no expectation that the developers should read it or take it into consideration.

I do think people should be allowed to state their opinion once or twice without receiving a lecture. :p

That'd turn something dangerous into something mildly annoying.

I didn't say it should make the player invincible, but only increase their defense. Since players aren't allowed to do anything at all while stoned, such as defend themselves, I reckon that's still dangerous.

Enemies should definitely keep attacking you when you're petrified or there's no danger to it.

Certainly there would be some danger to it. The number one complaint about Medusa, from what I've seen, is sudden death by falling. Having said that, in my scenario it would make sense if Medusa herself continued to attack the player.

Any kind of fall damage preventing accessory is canceled out while petrified.

I didn't know this because I've never been killed by Medusa before through any means, before or after the nerfs (hence why I'm not "demanding it be nerfed" or whatever someone might assume; not that I would anyway; I've never called for any nerfs of anything).

I do think people should be allowed to state their opinion once or twice without receiving a lecture. :p
I'm not giving lectures, I'm just a bit tired of yet another topic about this. We've been heard by the devs and they toned down Medusa massively. She can no longer cheap shot you when you're far out of visual range and she gives a visual and audable warning that she's about to attack. Further more, you can simply look the other way when she's attacking you to escape her sight.
If people still get killed over and over by medusae then they're not paying attention to what they're doing.
Also, as far as I know the devs have stated that Medusa won't be changed further and I'm happy about that. Reducing anything dangerous to the level of a green slime would make the game a bore.

I didn't say it should make the player invincible, but only increase their defense. Since players aren't allowed to do anything at all while stoned, such as defend themselves, I reckon that's still dangerous.
I didn't quote your bit about increased defense. ;) I'm neutral about that. On one hand stone is hard so it would make you tougher, on the other hand, stone can break, which would lead to fatal injuries.

Certainly there would be some danger to it. The number one complaint about Medusa, from what I've seen, is sudden death by falling. Having said that, in my scenario it would make sense if Medusa herself continued to attack the player.
If people keep an eye and ear out for Medusa's light and sound effect then fall damage would be a non-issue. The biggest danger with Medusa is being petrified when surrounded by enemies, but removing this danger simply makes Medusa a laughable enemy since her own psychical attack is rather poor because most of the times she won't even be able to reach you before you turn to flesh again.

Medusa is fine now imo.
Just be careful underground is all it comes down to.

I only play expert mode now and medusa is actually the least of my problems underground, bats are the worst.
I don't play at max res, I actually watch anime at the same time as I play, screen take up only half of my screen, and no audio at all.
I've simply adapted to be careful, not jumping around like an idiot all over the place, trying to stay on the ground most the time, boxing myself in when I see ore/chests I want.

I die a lot, I'm by no means any good at all, but most of my deaths are bats. xP
The amount times I've been killed by medusa is fairly small, and I do farm her for the weapon.
Any weapon you can lob is a life saver against her, so save up on those grenades, they are very useful against her.
Instant deaths from her is due to carelessness.
And being used to throwing glowsticks everywhere you go will also save you.

IDEA!
Medusa should drop an accessory that grands immunity to the Stoned debuff
Or reduce the effect this has probably been suggested befor but just in case it hasn't.
Marble biomes are actually more of a threat than the Corruption.
It's kinda weird.
The Medusa is a more of a threat than pretty much anything. Its really weird

Back
Top Bottom