PS4 Is playing console 1.2 possible after 1.3?

Ultimate snowman 46

Duke Fishron
I didn't really know where to post this thread, or if there's already a thread like this, but:
I was wondering what would happen if one were to simply remove the disc, delete the application, and insert the disc again.
With a lot of other games, reopening the game after doing this would probably bring up an update is available screen, followed by a "start application without updating" button. Pressing this button would usually start the disc version of the game without any updates installed, and then you'd be able to update the game to it's current version afterwards. All saved data would still be there since that is kept separate to the application data and usually all the save data should reappear in-game after it's updated again with no harm done.
So i was wondering if the same thing happens with terraria, since the disc is the 1.2 version of the game, however I was unsure because of the save data, world data, character data, etc. of which are 1.3, and i didn't know if these two factors would work together smoothly.
So i came to ask here first before risking anything to see if anyone knew if this actually worked, if console 1.2 would be playable, and if 1.3 would be playable after i reinstalled all the updates, before i ended up risking glitches, data loss, and world corruption like an absolute madman.
If you're wondering why i'm asking this, i wondered if a quick trip down memory lane was possible before playing 1.4

What I usually do is I turn off my PS4's internet, delete the game, then insert the disk, but MY game goes back to 1.0. I cannot access my characters or my worlds from 1.3, and when I update my game again, I cannot access my characters or my worlds in 1.0. It's like they're two separate instances – past and future. In other words, it's completely fine. Just make sure to upload your save data to a USB or something before you do it.

But, how come your disk has 1.2? I thought all physical copies have 1.0 on it before the console downloads the updates?

What I usually do is I turn off my PS4's internet, delete the game, then insert the disk, but MY game goes back to 1.0. I cannot access my characters or my worlds from 1.3, and when I update my game again, I cannot access my characters or my worlds in 1.0. It's like they're two separate instances – past and future. In other words, it's completely fine. Just make sure to upload your save data to a USB or something before you do it.

But, how come your disk has 1.2? I thought all physical copies have 1.0 on it before the console downloads the updates?
eh, every now and again new printing runs for the physical copy of a game have to be made and since terraria and basically all games during and after the 360 and PS2 (or is it PS3?) era games have had the luxury of being able to improve and expand upon a game beyond the version released at launch. having physical copies of a game be whatever current version that is available at the time seems to be standard practice as this can be seen with physical copies of minecraft for many platforms where physical distribution is available.

Also as a suggestion find some way to preserve your physical copy of terraria. treasure it and preserve the history of the game. And maybe find some way of creating back up versions of the disk but that is something your probably going to need homebrew for and homebrew at your own risk as such an act kind of violates PlayStations End User License Agreement

eh, every now and again new printing runs for the physical copy of a game have to be made and since terraria and basically all games during and after the 360 and PS2 (or is it PS3?) era games have had the luxury of being able to improve and expand upon a game beyond the version released at launch. having physical copies of a game be whatever current version that is available at the time seems to be standard practice as this can be seen with physical copies of minecraft for many platforms where physical distribution is available.

Also as a suggestion find some way to preserve your physical copy of terraria. treasure it and preserve the history of the game. And maybe find some way of creating back up versions of the disk but that is something your probably going to need homebrew for and homebrew at your own risk as such an act kind of violates PlayStations End User License Agreement
Oh, okay that makes sense. I must've got one of the older copies. And yeah, sounds like a good idea to preserve it if it's an older copy. @Ultimate snowman 46 let me know how it goes when you revert your game, to see if it's possible to get 1.2.

@Ultimate snowman 46 let me know how it goes when you revert your game, to see if it's possible to get 1.2.
Ah yes, the report:...
Everything crashed, mission failed officer, it all corrupted, my ps4 got the blue line of death, i don't know what to-
-i'm joking.
Good news. 1.2 played exactly the same as before, and it was glorious. There was this error message about deleting corrupted data but it didn't actually mean anything. All my old worlds were there but none of the new ones or my characters, though i didn't dare click on any of the old worlds (i was intending playing a new world anyway) Also when i updated it back to 1.3.5, nothing was out of order from the way i left it - so that's good news.
Another side note: any 1.2.X updates aren't possible since it decides to update everything back to the newest version.
Only thing was... the character and world data from 1.2 after i re-updated seemed to just disappear, though i still don't get why it didn't convert to 1.3, since that's what my other worlds did first time round. Though maybe that data would be still playable if ever i reverted back to 1.2 again
(i'm not risking it again).
In summary, all went well, only real problem is getting used to the controls if you've customised them in a later update (i forgot which update that was).
So, other than that final goodbye
(*cries* at least i got my revenge on ocram,) it went well, though i cannot guarantee it'll work the same for everyone else who tries doing it, and i have no idea if this'll work once 1.4 is out.
"Speaking of 1.4..., it's nearly out, YAYYYYYYYY"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom