Is the Goblin Army a joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DecafDiamond

Terrarian
This is my first playthrough of Terraria (Not to say I don't know anything, I'm just inexperienced) so bear with me.Yesterday I destroyed a Crimson Heart and a meteorite landed. From that meteorite I got full meteor armor and a space gun. This was all in preparation for the BOC as I've heard it's pretty hard. Now today, a goblin army started approaching. I blocked up all the doors and hoped the nurse would be safe enough outside of the house. When they arrived I demolished them (Space Gun piercing FTW!!) within half the day. I expected to die quite a lot. Is it supposed to be that easy? All I got was a harpoon, 180 spiky balls, and 2 gold. Am a just really unlucky? Is there some magical loot that I was supposed to get? I do know that the goblin tinkerer spawns somewhere underground after the goblin army's defeat. Which brings me to my next question. Are there any tips for finding him or will I have to search every last cave in my world? Thanks!
EDIT: The nurse escaped without a scratch

Last edited:
This is my first playthrough of Terraria (Not to say I don't know anything, I'm just inexperienced) so bear with me.Yesterday I destroyed a Crimson Heart and a meteorite landed. From that meteorite I got full meteor armor and a space gun. This was all in preparation for the BOC as I've heard it's pretty hard. Now today, a goblin army started approaching. I blocked up all the doors and hoped the nurse would be safe enough outside of the house. When they arrived I demolished them (Space Gun piercing FTW!!) within half the day. I expected to die quite a lot. Is it supposed to be that easy? All I got was a harpoon, 180 spiky balls, and 2 gold. Am a just really unlucky? Is there some magical loot that I was supposed to get? I do know that the goblin tinkerer spawns somewhere underground after the goblin army's defeat. Which brings me to my next question. Are there any tips for finding him or will I have to search every last cave in my world? Thanks!
Nope, it's just your first invasion. You can get banners from them, if you're a collector like me. The goblin tinkerer will randomly spawn while you're exploring the underground.

You just go caving as normal and you should find him, you can't really affect his spawning. And no, most people aren't so advanced when they get a goblin army yours was just late.

The main purpose of the army is simply to get the Tinkerer. There is no rare loot in the invasion, unless you want to count banners. And regarding where to find the Tinkerer...he spawns randomly in the cavern layer, and what I usually do to find him is explore caves I've already been in that are in the uppermost part of the cavern layer. Most of the time it works out, but other times you may just have to look a little deeper. Don't worry though, it usually doesn't take very long.

I suspect you were very well equipped for the Goblin Army.

As for the Tinkerer, just explore caves you've already been through plus all connecting caves. He should be close.

Reactions: Gem
Its the first invasion. More of a guideline on how the invasions are gonna work rather than a real challenge.

For the Tinkerer, he should spawn somewhere around you when you enter a cave (and descend to correct depth), I always seem to run into him w/o really looking. He also seems to spawn in the dungeon a lot for me, but might just be my luck...

Well thanks. But can he spawn in a completely random place like the jungle?
EDIT: Didn't see the new posts so don't pay attention to this

You were overgeared for that event. Everything in Terraria is "a joke" if you have gear of the same tier or above - the Space Gun with Meteorite armor can make mincemeat of both the Eye and Brain of Cthulhu, the Eater of Worlds, and Skeletron, and may even get you through the Wall of Flesh later on.

[PARAGRAPH REDACTED] and would know that the goblin army is not a joke it's just a first invasion type thing. You farm them mainly for the harpoon gun which is a great weapon for pre hardmode and starting hard mode especially if used in close quarters (at point blank it's rapid fire). If you want a seriously hard invasion wait til endgame invasions come out.

Well thanks for all the advice. I just found him while exploring some caves that I haven't explored yet. But it took a while for him to actually spawn. I looked in a few caves that I've already been through and some I haven't. Then I came across another cave, went up the tunnel and found nothing. Then when I turned around he was right there sitting on my glowstick with a slime attacking him. Is it normal for him to take that long to spawn?
You were overgeared for that event. Everything in Terraria is "a joke" if you have gear of the same tier or above - the Space Gun with Meteorite armor can make mincemeat of both the Eye and Brain of Cthulhu, the Eater of Worlds, and Skeletron, and may even get you through the Wall of Flesh later on.
Well by a joke I didn't mean much, I had a feeling I was overgeared anyways.

Last edited:
If you don't spot him while passing through, he'll despawn and re-spawn in a new place. This will happen until you discover and rescue him.

I'm sure of this because once I found him, decided to do just one more thing before rescuing him, and when I got back he'd evaporated. Not a problem, as I found him in an entirely different place not much later.

If you don't spot him while passing through, he'll despawn and re-spawn in a new place. This will happen until you discover and rescue him.

I'm sure of this because once I found him, decided to do just one more thing before rescuing him, and when I got back he'd evaporated. Not a problem, as I found him in an entirely different place not much later.
Ahh that's probably why it took so long for him to spawn near me.

no, was your first army and should be hard.

the loot can be useless banners, some gold coins, harpoons (I not recomend to kill BoC) and more useless spiky balls.

troll tinkerer appear in the underground next to you. I think if you dig where you killed the army he will appear.

I hope I helped!

the loot can be useless banners, some gold coins, harpoons (I not recomend to kill BoC) and more useless spiky balls.

troll tinkerer appear in the underground next to you. I think if you dig where you killed the army he will appear.

I hope I helped!
Uhh troll post?

Technically not really. It all really depends on when and how they show up. Like many have said, with the armor in the very least you were overpowered for the event.

When I first encountered the army I did have that, as well didn't have the greatest weapons or well decent enough to make quick of them. So that actually lasted through a bloodmoon even though it started in the daytime. lasted quite long as I kept seeing dying messages of npcs and myself. I only died a few times. I was unprepared for it when it happened more or less....

More or less some get it a good times and some get it at bad times.

The tinkerer I just happened upon eventually, and wasn't really looking for him as I continued to expand my mine. I tend to take a long drawn out approach to the game. So couldn't say when I found him after fighting the army.

For an inexperienced player to get Meteor armor and space gun before Brain of Cthulhu, you're doing moderately well, usually people have Crimson/Demonite armor or none of that before Goblins and usually take hits or die, but thats in the eye of the player.

For searching, Shine, Night Owl and Hunter Potion. He'll glow Green underground, ~Cavern.

I hope I helped!

Spikey balls are useless? How so? You lay them down and watch the eater of worlds kill himself.

Most invasions' strong points lie in their ability to overwhelm. In your case, you got an upper hand considering the space gun+meteor set focuses on good steady DPS + piercing, which works incredibly well on creatures that rely on numbers to gain an advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom