Is there any way to speed up block swapping?

Copious Kobold

Steampunker
Even with a fast pickaxe, 3 mining speed buffs, and 2 building speed buffs, block swapping remains stuck at a useless 4 blocks per second. Even pre-hardmode it's faster to mine it all out and replace it. I swear I've block swapped faster before. Is there any way to speed this up?

Block swapping should take the speed of the highest tier pickaxe in your inventory. What pickaxe are you using?

I am using titanium, and it is absolutely slower than the titanium pickaxe. By almost a factor of two. There are no other picks in my inventory.

Block swapping should take the speed of the highest tier pickaxe in your inventory. What pickaxe are you using?

When I swap to Molten, not only does swapping stay the same speed, this speed is actually FASTER than the molten pickaxe. There is nothing in my inventory but blocks and a pickaxe.

I am using titanium, and it is absolutely slower than the titanium pickaxe. By almost a factor of two. There are no other picks in my inventory.

When I swap to Molten, not only does swapping stay the same speed, this speed is actually FASTER than the molten pickaxe. There is nothing in my inventory but blocks and a pickaxe.
Can you record a video of this with your inventory open please?

Well, block swapping shouldn't match the speed of the pickaxe, because you are doing two actions with one click: digging the old block out and replacing it with the new block.

It wouldn't make sense if you could do both at the same speed that you merely dig.

Well, block swapping shouldn't match the speed of the pickaxe, because you are doing two actions with one click: digging the old block out and replacing it with the new block.

It wouldn't make sense if you could do both at the same speed that you merely dig.

Ok, but then how do you justify block swapping being faster than my pickaxe in the case of Molten?

Yeah, this looks like it's working as it should - as Xylia said it's doing two actions.
If you think there's something wrong with molten, please do share an example.

You're not comparing it to anything, so it's pretty hard to tell. It looks about right to me, considering your block placement speed is the same. That's probably the bottleneck here, not the pickaxe speed.

Yeah, try putting the builder bag on, or the brick layer (I think that's what it's called? the one that speeds up block placement) and see if it speeds up.

As for why you don't notice a difference between Molten Pickaxe and the Titanium Pickaxe, it's quite simple:

Once you get to the Molten Pickaxe, One "tick" will break anything that's not Ebon/Crimstone or Hellstone or what-not.

Higher pickaxes get faster by putting more "ticks" in each swing, which is why with the digger's claw for example, you can put out several "ticks" with one use of the item. But when you're blockswapping, you mine out 1 block, and place 1 block (which makes additional 'ticks' after the first wasted if the block you're replacing is mined with 1 tick). Once you get up to Molten Pickaxe, this is as fast as you go unless you're mining out some block the Molten Pickaxe can't destroy in one tick.

EDIT: TL;DR: Try doing a comparison between Molten and Titanium Pickaxes on Ebon/Crimstone and see if you don't see a speed increase. You most certainly will.

EDIT2: On second thought, I think I know what's happening:

When you blockswap, you are actually placing and THEN mining, or at least attempting to. This makes sense when you look at it from a code standpoint -- you are actually mining with the block as your current held object, and the game is merely checking your best pickaxe for its pickaxe power. You place the block down at placement speed, the game then checks what pickaxe you have, and sees if that pickaxe can destroy the block with 1 use ("tick"). If so, the block is replaced, you take the old block out. If not, you hear the pickaxe mining sound and have to try again until your pickaxe breaks the block.

This means that you will never overcome the placement speed, if I'm right about this.

Last edited:
In the first video, though, you can see me placing blocks on the demonite brick walls twice as fast as I can swap them in the floor. Mining and placing are both faster than swapping.

At this point I don't even care anymore. I know that what I'm seeing does not match what you're saying is happening, and If even you can't tell what's going on it's hopeless.

Last edited:
In the first video, though, you can see me placing blocks on the demonite brick walls twice as fast as I can swap them in the floor. Mining and placing are both faster than swapping.

At this point I don't even care anymore. I know that what I'm seeing does not match what you're saying is happening, and If even you can't tell what's going on it's hopeless.

That's because you are doing two actions at once.

Place Block, Mine Block.

Obviously it's twice as slow.

Try doing it manually, mining out one block, and then placing one block. Not sure why you think you should be able to block-swap just as fast as you can place blocks in thin air?

This is like trying to speak in sign language to a blind person. I'm not understanding what you're saying, you're not understanding what I'm saying, and I'm not doing this anymore. Goodbye.

Is anybody else having trouble understanding what I said in the thread? Am I being that obtuse?

Heck I'll even try another way of explaining it:

Let's say you're a dishwasher, and you have 100 spoons to wash. It takes you 10 seconds to grab one spoon from the pile, dip it into the wash water, then dip it into the rinse water, and then throw it on another pile.
Let's say it takes 5 seconds to take a wet spoon, and rub it dry with a cloth, and place it in a 3rd pile.

Washing the 100 spoons is going to take you about 1,000 seconds. Then you go back through the spoons to dry them all, which would take 500 seconds for a total of 1,500 seconds.

But then you go "hmm, what if I did everything at once, and eliminated the one pile?"

And so you decide to dip the spoon in the wash water, then dip the spoon in the rinse water, and then take it over to the drying cloth, and put the spoon in the final pile all in one, to each spoon before moving onto the next.

You find that this takes you about 12 seconds per spoon, you save 3 seconds by not having to lay each spoon down, and pick up the next. After timing yourself, you discover it takes you about 1,200 seconds, saving yourself 300 seconds on the whole job.

No matter what, washing and drying the spoons will never be as fast as either job is alone. You can't wash AND dry the spoons faster than just washing them, or just drying them, that's physically impossible.

Same goes with block swapping:

It might take X milliseconds to mine 1 block.
It might take X*2 milliseconds to place 1 block.

Block-swapping might be about 75% of the above two combined times (in other words, (X + (X*2))*0.75 ).

Why?

Because you can't mine AND place 1 block as fast as mining, or placing alone because you're doing both at once.

I......really don't know how else to explain it to be perfectly honest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom