Is there even a point to naturally-occuring demonite ore in the underground?

I swear I have the feeling that you could outright remove it from appearing in the underground and it wouldn't even matter :rolleyes:
Obviously for some time it's better than anything you have because it's above gold, and it's like a particularly rare ore that only shows up in small amounts because of that, but if you find it underground, you'll need GOLD pickaxe to mine it first, so you might not even be able to get it if you find it, and it completely loses its value to get it underground after you beat the naturally-spawning Eye of Cthulhu for the first time, where you become able to get it the good way with very generous amounts.
And if you mine it you only get like 4 ore per dump. That's 1 bar. You need to have at least EIGHT to make a bow out of it (10 if you want the sword). And the only things you can actually make this way are ore weapons (and a fishing rod), there is the important pickaxe and an armor set but those are locked out for the meantime because those also need a material from Eater/Brain. So technically you can grind for the super rare ore to get a post-gold basic weapon that would be cool if you want, but by the time you would actually collect enough you probably already got 500% past the point of being unable to beat the mandatorily-appearing Eye of Cthulhu who basically gives you all of it at once and lets you know you can just talk to his cousin to get more. And after that you can still see veins of it underground but it's not even worth the time to dig it out, legitimately worth less than iron or web. Despite being a rare ore you only see sometimes who even lights itself up for you to get.

If it didn't spawn in the underground at all that might even just be polishing clutter... But imagine if it was the other way around as something actually really cool worth rarity, like if it was replaced with a new ultra-rare ore called rainbowite that you can use as a joker card to craft it into your choice of various items, and they can upgrade over progression with materials, but each craft and each upgrade needs more and more rainbowite, that's available throughout the entire game in the underground if you just get lucky enough to find more from any incidental exploration, being useful even through hardmode as a special ore.

It can be mined with explosives, so you could mine it very early (even before getting a higher tier pickaxe) but you're right that the amount you find is so very little, that it's not perticularly useful for anything... well, at least not in vanilla. it might be useful in some mods though.

That idea about a "joker" ore sounds interesting too. it might could be an ore on its own though, not replacing demonite/crimate ore veins (even though they're not perticularly useful, indeed XD)

I do like the idea of Demonite being used to craft any weaker ore, but it doesn't seem thematically appropriate.

Maybe it's just there for the people who are still expecting the game to be "2D minecraft".

Think about it, that game has a super rare ore that lets you get better gear, maybe it's there to ease them into the game before the first boss shows up?

It would honestly make much more sense for there to be larger veins of the ore only within the ebonstone/crimstone of the respective biome's chasms instead of randomly throughout the world.

In a way, the rarity of Demonite Ore serves as a learning process for new players. It teaches them about the progression of Terraria by making them realize the importance of killing bosses. In this case, the player is able to see that many items can be crafted using Demonite Bars, but nothing can be reasonable accomplished until the Eye of Cthulhu is defeated (it serves as a great reward!). And once again, this occurs when they see that even more items will become accessible once they acquire Shadow Scales.

Back
Top Bottom