PC Item 3,000!

Status
Not open for further replies.
we're talking about a GAME... not real life.

we play games to ESCAPE the harshness of reality... if you want fantasy to be like real life, then whats the point?

hell, why not make the game COMPLETELY realistic and add in sexism, too... racism, and all the other real life problems?

dont bring real life into games, no one wants that.
BAHAHAHAHA
True for progression, but a very bad idea for difficulty options. Higher difficulty modes are so the best players can still have fun without resorting to bizarre self-imposed challenges. If you add items that reward high difficulty settings (and aren't just trophies), you'll run into two problems.

1. People play harder difficulties because they want challenge. Giving them stronger items for playing on harder difficulties goes directly against the very purpose of it.

2. It blocks average players from functional content. As far as I can tell, most players don't strive to be the very best, they just want to beat the game and have fun. Refusing them access to top-tier equipment because they're playing to have fun (hey, that's the purpose of a game!) is only going to piss people off.

All players do not have equal skill. Some play swifter afoot. Some with greater strength. Some are born into impoverished worlds, starting with broken, wooden tools. And others are born during the rain and little chance to survive the first five minutes, both in pre and hardmode. In sheer scope of ability, every player is inherently different. Yes, that is why people discriminate against players of skill. Which is why there is struggle, competition and the unfaltering march of progression in Terraria's development. Inequality in skill is not wrong, equality is! What exactly determined Terraria to be inherently easy, which made equality in experience a right? Rabble suggestions by a popularity contest? The pre-hardmode with its equal distribution of enemies? A horde of lazy zombies! But not my beloved Terraria. I fight, I compete! Evolution in my skill and my world is continuous! Terraria alone moves forward, advancing steadily into the future. Even the death of countless hardcore characters demonstrates Terraria's unswerving commitment to progress and challenge. I will fight on! I shall struggle, compete, plunder and dominate! And in the end, the future Terraria shall be mine. All hail Terraria!

True for progression, but a very bad idea for difficulty options. Higher difficulty modes are so the best players can still have fun without resorting to bizarre self-imposed challenges. If you add items that reward high difficulty settings (and aren't just trophies), you'll run into two problems.

1. People play harder difficulties because they want challenge. Giving them stronger items for playing on harder difficulties goes directly against the very purpose of it.

2. It blocks average players from functional content. As far as I can tell, most players don't strive to be the very best, they just want to beat the game and have fun. Refusing them access to top-tier equipment because they're playing to have fun (hey, that's the purpose of a game!) is only going to piss people off.
To point one: the items may not be better, just cool alternatives or vanity/decorative items. Or maybe weapons that function more efficiently than the current one at fighting enemies with better A.I.

To point two: again, that logic can be applied to force them to make all bosses equally easy and make them all drop equally good loot. Maybe I'm not good enough to beat plantera. Should I be presented with a mode of the game in which plantera doesn't drop specific loot and everything that I'd have to beat it to unlock would be unlockable some other way instead of forcing me to improving my abilities at the game enough to beat it?

I think people good enough at the game to play the harder modes do deserve some kind of reward and if other people want it, they'll have to improve themselves to get them too.

To point two: again, that logic can be applied to force them to make all bosses equally easy and make them all drop equally good loot.

Logical fallacy: Future events entail better equipment given to the player, and more options to try. Difficulty is expected to mesh with variety.

If 'Expert mode' is big numbers for the sake of big numbers, there will be no variety. You'll be forced to plow a field and run away from the boss at higher speeds. Duke Fishron would be a bloody nightmare, and he's already pretty awful as-is.

My hope is expert mode gives bosses more attack options, and that in general these attacks have 'tells' so you can prepare for them. Instead of flying at you really, really fast and dealing 200 damage. Maybe I'm just really, really bad at every video game ever, but that doesn't sound "fun" to me.

EDIT: As for 'rewards', I'd much rather drop rates be increased or something. It would be an incentive to play if you can handle it, but not necessarily important if you can't. That would be fair.

With that said, I'd want to play 'Expert mode' specifically so the AI doesn't rely exclusively on "walk towards the player, am I touching the player? Walk away from the player." I'd much prefer enemies with variety akin to megaman or castlevania or metroid or the like; games that Terraria already emulates. But if players are expected to not only learn a new enemy pattern, but deal with getting killed instantly by it, then that is a bad idea.

Last edited:
BAHAHAHAHA

All players do not have equal skill. Some play swifter afoot. Some with greater strength. Some are born into impoverished worlds, starting with broken, wooden tools. And others are born during the rain and little chance to survive the first five minutes, both in pre and hardmode. In sheer scope of ability, every player is inherently different. Yes, that is why people discriminate against players of skill. Which is why there is struggle, competition and the unfaltering march of progression in Terraria's development. Inequality in skill is not wrong, equality is! What exactly determined Terraria to be inherently easy, which made equality in experience a right? Rabble suggestions by a popularity contest? The pre-hardmode with its equal distribution of enemies? A horde of lazy zombies! But not my beloved Terraria. I fight, I compete! Evolution in my skill and my world is continuous! Terraria alone moves forward, advancing steadily into the future. Even the death of countless hardcore characters demonstrates Terraria's unswerving commitment to progress and challenge. I will fight on! I shall struggle, compete, plunder and dominate! And in the end, the future Terraria shall be mine. All hail Terraria!

That was an entertaining read, but please calm down dude.

BAHAHAHAHA

That Code Geass reference, Epic.

Last edited:
I think his point is that the game would be pointless if there was no reward for doing things that are harder (e.g. getting drops from harder bosses for beating the early easy bosses for the sake of making them accessible to people who are bad at battling enemies, instead of getting good items for over coming actual challenges). They just used a real life example to illustrate why that kind of thing doesn't work. Higher rewards must be given for greater challenges so that the better reward are earned and the tougher challenge is worth it.

but what is the point of going through the trouble of creating those things when the majority of fans wont ever see them?

only the few hardcore players will... and anyone who receives copies of the items from said hardcore players who feel generous enough to spread them around, which will make the whole point of them being higher level rewards completely moot.

also, the person who brought up the sky, flowers, and gravity as "real life" aspects... those are REALLY weak examples, cause those are in everything, not just real life... also, terraria has selective gravity... only certain things are affected by it.

i see nothing positive in life, so why would i mention positive things?

the fanbase being split apart by rewarding hardcore players and punishing people who arent as skilled seems like a bad idea... the fact that binding of isaac rebirth is doing that is already making me reconsider bothering with that game... if terraria starts doing it, too... im not sure i'll wanna play it anymore, since i'll basically be punished for not being a high level player.

Could you possibly make an alternate to the Hallow? I think it would be interesting to see an alternate to the Hallow added in 1.3 just like 1.2 added an alternate to the corruption. Just a suggestion!

That would probably take a long time because you would have to make an alternate version for ALOMOST EVERY HALLOW-ITEM.. Even the crimson is still missing a few items the corruption has: Vile powder (destroying the hallow), A shadow orb (they could add something like a blood orb), demonite bricks (why are there no crimtane bricks) and probably a few others... But they Devs already said that the crimson is gonna get some attention in this update.

Also: What could a alternate hallow be?..... Something light-themed.... ... Nope, I dont have any good ideas for now, if i can come up with something, i will tell you. (Maybe they could add some more dungeons (pirate ship on the ocean, sky fortress, a hell dungeon, maye a Hallowed Temple or something like that. POnly problem is the world restrictions... [PLEASE ADD INFINITE WORLDS IN 1.3 ALREADY, THEN WE CAN HAVE MORE DUNGEONS AND EVEN MORE FUN AND ITEMS]

That would probably take a long time because you would have to make an alternate version for ALOMOST EVERY HALLOW-ITEM.. Even the crimson is still missing a few items the corruption has: Vile powder (destroying the hallow), A shadow orb (they could add something like a blood orb), demonite bricks (why are there no crimtane bricks) and probably a few others... But they Devs already said that the crimson is gonna get some attention in this update.

Also: What could a alternate hallow be?..... Something light-themed.... ... Nope, I dont have any good ideas for now, if i can come up with something, i will tell you. (Maybe they could add some more dungeons (pirate ship on the ocean, sky fortress, a hell dungeon, maye a Hallowed Temple or something like that. POnly problem is the world restrictions... [PLEASE ADD INFINITE WORLDS IN 1.3 ALREADY, THEN WE CAN HAVE MORE DUNGEONS AND EVEN MORE FUN AND ITEMS]
Are you talking about the Shadow Orb light source item?

wait... greater rewards?

what does that mean, exactly?

does that mean alot of items and gear are only going to be available through expert mode?

if so, damn... kinda sucks that alot of people will be cut off from game content if they arent absolutely perfect at the game... never liked when games did that.

if its not gonna restrict game content available to you on lower difficulties, what could the "greater rewards" possibly be? higher drop rates for rare stuff?
If RNG is reduced on that mode, I'll never go back.

where starting to get to that point in the update when the only thing more you can add in is a new title screen.....which is not a bad idea seeing as the old one looks bland and so indie it kind of makes a bad first impression...seriously change the godam title screen

where starting to get to that point in the update when the only thing more you can add in is a new title screen.....which is not a bad idea seeing as the old one looks bland and so indie it kind of makes a bad first impression...seriously change the godam title screen
Considering Terraria IS an Indie game I don't see what your complaint is. It's also nostalgic, not everything is improved by being changed. If you have suggestions for a new title screen you can make a thread here: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?forums/other.46/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom