Game Mechanics Item Filter - ("Do not pickup" list)

Fantastic. Thanks a bunch, everyone. Really happy people like it. I'm curious to see if there's anyone who is staunchly against this idea, somehow.

This is definitely one reason to delay 1.3 by a half-month. I'd go for it.

I support :D Though I have an idea. You must somehow earn every item block, like maybe doing something with dirt to unlock the filter. I think it would be a bit OP to have it just there

No more unwanted mushrooms that I accidentally eat instead of potions, or singular deathweeds and just take up a slot.
I can stop having my potions on my hotbar!

A very good example of where it could be an issue. Manually managing the inventory is fine, it's just to organize how it'd be working.

Something that would be easier to implement:

1. A Prohibiting Chest -- that would make a lot of sense now that I am thinking about it again. That chest would let you put in the stuff that you don't want to have picked up.
  2. An Item Teleporter, if we take the accessory idea Cenx was making allusion to. It could simply transfer from the trash to a secondary storage, like my Prohibiting Chest

This really needs to be in the game. So sick of picking up mushrooms, cobwebs, blinkroot, daybloom, wooden arrows, bombs, shuriken, rope, etc.

Wonder how hard something like this would be to implement into the game.

This idea of a prohibitive chest is really interesting. It simultaneously fulfils the function while also requiring the player to invest effort by finding the crafting materials/combination. So, for example, when it starts to get really super tedious to be picking up non-hardmode items, all of a sudden you can now find the required crafting materials, like souls and pixie dust and whatnot. Maybe there's a Prohibitive Chest and a True Prohibitive Chest? The first you can craft with, say, just some wood and whatever right off the bat, but it will only accept items below a certain tier, like white only (yay no picking up dirt ever), but then you can craft the second type with hardmode components, and you can put whatever you want into that chest.

I don't think that coding the True chest would be too difficult, but it might be complicated to limit what items you could place in the basic version. But, I'm totally a scripting novice, so I could be talking out my :red: on both counts :D

47 seconds into my HM Jungle . . .

Inventory contains: mud, silt, stone, jungle seeds, moonglow, moonglow seeds, blinkroot, blinkroot seeds, vines, jungle spores, stingers, jungle rose, nature's gift, turtle shell, cobwebs, arrows, rope, throwing knives, shurikens . . . the list goes on.

In other words, support!

Sounds like a great improvement. I'd use it for just a few items, but for those it would be invaluable.

I've been thinking about this some more, and I'm wondering if anyone has some more detailed information about the code involved with chests.

Chests, obviously, work fine. The only mod I know of that modifies them in some way (beyond aesthetics), however, is very buggy. If anyone can point me towards the relevant code I'll look into it and do some testing to see if I can find a way to limit what can be put into them and whether or not the containers can be referenced by items.

While I'm not new to modding, I am new to Terraria modding, and I'm not sure what the situation is with source code, re: legality/accessibility.

Thanks very much, everyone. It's definitely appreciated.

One of the reasons that I'm so supportive of this idea as a concept that I feel really should be implemented is that Terraria is so highly engaging in both the "creative/building" and the "adventuring/exploring/acquiring" portion that both concepts end up in the same inventory.

If you go exploring deep in the jungle, as the example has been given, and you're going for the Bee Nest and Temple run, you have absolutely no intention of picking up dirt, mud, stone, cobwebs, copper/tin, iron/lead, etc, whatsoever. It's actual items or it's nothing.

In fact, all of these amazing Let's Players, like HERO, Yrimir, and Chip, all have their inventory completely filled about 90% of the time wherever they go. I have no idea how they manage it. Whenever they find a new item, they have to pick something in their inventory to destroy.

Whenever I make a new world, one of the first things I wish I had are about a dozen or so chests to dump stuff in until I can really organize a shelf or two in my heavily fortified town. Lead/Iron is absolutely paramount for this operation.

So without a way to keep disposing of dirt and things like that, we're disposing of unwanted items many times every ten minutes.

So, I've been looking into this and getting some advice related to it, and I've decided that I'm going to give it a real shot. I am going to wait, however, until 1.3 is released and tAPI subsequently updated. The reasons for this are twofold: 1) I have pressing assignments to deal with at school at the moment, and 2) 1.3 is set to feature a slew of UI enhancements, which I believe I will be able to leverage towards making this mod both as attractive and as functional as possible.

Obviously I'm not laying claim to this idea or anything, and if someone else beats me to the punch I won't be annoyed or anything. Just thought I'd let people know that I intend to give it a shot, and this glorious dream might actually be a reality, come 1.3 :D

yes. just yes. even as somebody who 'gets' all his items through inventory editors, it's annoying to me to have my inventory loaded up with junk drops while doing stuff with buds, be it mining, building a base, or just grinding various bosses to a pulp for their loot.

I've made this idea multiple times back on TO but nobody sees it.
Well, even so, I guess I support it, because I had the idea. Someone else just did it before me.

Back
Top Bottom