Items Item Stack 9999

CDR_Xavier

Skeletron Prime
I'm not against having more items stack to more. However, I feel like that stacking to 9999 will be a bit overpowered/broken.
I think one of the reasons that items cannot stack beyond (because let's be honest; item stack size is not, for the most part, a programming challenge) a certain number is because, I think, inventory balancing. Why would you want to carry around, I don't know, super mana potions if you can stack 999 of just regular mana potions in one slot? (Sure you have less mana sickness but that's not the point)
Better versions exist (e.g. dynamite vs bombs, endless musket pouch, bottomless quiver, etc) for a certain reason and that is better quality (or performance) per given quantity, and I think having increased stacking size partially nullifies that.

So basically I am saying is, yes, this is a quality of life improvement, but I think it's a quality of life improvement that, well, might break some elements of the game that would be meaningless otherwise. Mostly the two "infinite" ammo sources, but I think also some other small things.

For ore (and especially bars), I don't think stacking beyond 999 is really that necessary. Common blocks, on the other hand, perhaps might. Or, on the other hand, make them renewable (relatively easily) so there is less incentive of keeping a stockpile of.

Keeping Ammo stack limit at 999 might be necessary because of balancing issues. Bombs and dynamite, maybe. Grenades, throwing knifes, and shurikens and spiky ball should stack to 999 (if they don't already) so player can carry more of them and they can be more useful (e.g. I personally never use them even though they can be better than, say, Copper shortsword)

A lot of materials (e.g. antlion mandible, worm tooth, shadow scale) might/should also stack to 999, given how ores stack to 999. Even though it doesn't make a lot of sense (for my friend, for example) to have 4 stacks of worm tooth and half a chest of antlion mandible (through some save file copy-pasting back in mobile 1.2.4 days)

So basically everything under the tag of "materials" (beside weapons, and some exceptions) can stack to 999 without too much concerns.

Summoning item (e.g. pirate map, goblin battle stand), maybe to 99? I don't see a point of carrying around a thousand summons for, i don't know. Eye of Cthulhu.
Remember back in the old days when pirate maps are non-stackable? Yeah. That was great. Nay. wonderful.

Building block, on the other hand, is a tough one. I personally dislike the move to 9999 items, even though I understand why (less trips to storage facilities and less room needed for said storage facility). But I feel like it's .. a bit broken, say.

Minecraft, for example, doesn't have any of these stack item increases, and can sometimes be really annoying and hinders the usefulness of certain items (e.g. snowballs). I'm sure there are complaints of running outt of storage, but I think it's also something to encourage player to do -- to make impressive item sorting/storage systems. We don't have hoppers in Terraria, but that's ok. We have "sort to nearby chests".

Making wiring free, on the other hand, I am not against. Since money is relatively easy to come by (especially after you get the mechanic, which unlocks the tools/equipment), I don't think it is overpowered/broken.

In all, great initiative (of improving player's quality of life), but I think it might be a bit overboard. It can't be too easy.

Last edited:
I agree. For a lot of items that are rarer, a cap of 9999 basically would just mean infinite. I am really looking forward to potions stacking higher though, because they are such a pain to store.

I get what you're saying, but I'm kinda torn. That jump back in the day from 250 items to 999 items felt good, but I'll admit that going from 999 to 9999 is pretty mental.

Maybe it could start at 999 but then increase by increments of 1000 at key stages in the game?
  1. Eye of Cthulhu (1999)
  2. EoW/BoC (2999)
  3. Queen Bee* (3999)
  4. Skeletron* (4999)
  5. Wall of Flesh (5999)
  6. All 3 Mechs (6999)
  7. Plantera (7999)
  8. Golem (8999)
  9. Moon Lord (9999)
Order isn't necessarily important.

I get what you're saying, but I'm kinda torn. That jump back in the day from 250 items to 999 items felt good, but I'll admit that going from 999 to 9999 is pretty mental.

Maybe it could start at 999 but then increase by increments of 1000 at key stages in the game?
  1. Eye of Cthulhu (1999)
  2. EoW/BoC (2999)
  3. Queen Bee* (3999)
  4. Skeletron* (4999)
  5. Wall of Flesh (5999)
  6. All 3 Mechs (6999)
  7. Plantera (7999)
  8. Golem (8999)
  9. Moon Lord (9999)
Order isn't necessarily important.
lol if you kill 1 elit boss you get 1000 stack 9x1k=9000 terraria max stack 999

I don't think ammo balance it's that big of an issue than it already was.

There wasn't much holding back of going for 8 stacks of 999 bullets before. And it's an odd drawback to limit rangers and builders with it.

Never having to worry about running out of ammo is still a feat the endless pouch items will keep.

Though I agree that the stack-size limit increase is a bit crazy, Journey Mode has ultimately changed the Vanilla game forever, so it might inevitably be a necessary evil. I'm always on the side of Devs who have some form of "foresight", and this seems like a "fix it now before it becomes an issue later" move in my eyes. Here's what I mean by that if I sound cryptic...

What the increased stack-size possibly fixes:
  • ...about storage issues, 1.4+ added hundreds, if not thousands of newer items to the game. I consider myself to be great with storage-space, but even I was starting to run out of it!
20201118093157_1_a.jpg

• The red and orange arrows are two separate "storage facilities" [that were both nearly full before Hardmode, even the chests on the roof], keep in mind, this was me being proactive with storage too!
  • When I began farming Holiday Moon Events, Blood Moon Events, the Dungeon, it nearly became necessary to create "storage units" for those locations as well, with the "unique items" of course taking up the most space, whereas Banners and items stackable to 99+ weren't really an issue.
  • Though it's yet to be confirmed, there's some kind of "memory issue" happening with Terraria, it shows its nasty head in different forms, but I suspect it has something to do with on-screen graphic(s) real-estate, keeping storage units under control might help some.
  • Journey Mode I suspect will likely gain traction as the game grows in age, there are some features in the Vanilla game that don't gel entirely well with Journey Mode, "Character Buff Limit & Storage Space" are some of the more obvious ones. The massive increase in the number of resources a single Player can have at any given time, has changed how effective some of the older systems are [not very].
Now, with even more items and features on the way with 1.4.4 [to include a new liquid, possibly], it was probably inevitable. There's just way too many collectables, trophies, junk items and inventory resources in the game now. The inventory management system likely has to grow with the sheer size of the game now, for better or worse... 🧐 🤷‍♂️

I don't think ammo balance it's that big of an issue than it already was.

There wasn't much holding back of going for 8 stacks of 999 bullets before. And it's an odd drawback to limit rangers and builders with it.

Never having to worry about running out of ammo is still a feat the endless pouch items will keep.
kill eye of cthulhu and get 8 stack 1999 bullet (stonks <3)

I Think They Posted Something About That
Oh Here It Is

Back
Top Bottom