tModLoader ItemMagnetPlus - Customizable Item Magnet

yeah I should have checked that behavior when I was testing, thanks for the heads up though

Last edited:
Could you make it so it wont pick heart in config file..?
Because it's kinda op in early game (just my preference)..

Could you make it so it wont pick heart in config file..?
Because it's kinda op in early game (just my preference)..
v0.1.4.3: Added blacklist "filter" to be able to filter hearts, mana stars and coins (for now), fixed a bug where range got stuck when using the magnet from inside the inventory

Last edited:
If the "filter" entry in the configs is blank or contains any errors, then you lose the ability to turn the magnet on. When you try to activate it, you just hold it in the air and nothing happens.

EDIT: Also, would it be possible to add a setting that prevents the magnet from turning itself off? I am sorta getting irritated at having to turn the magnet back on every time I die or load the game.

Last edited:
If the "filter" entry in the configs is blank or contains any errors, then you lose the ability to turn the magnet on. When you try to activate it, you just hold it in the air and nothing happens.

EDIT: Also, would it be possible to add a setting that prevents the magnet from turning itself off? I am sorta getting irritated at having to turn the magnet back on every time I die or load the game.
Thanks for the feedback, I was kinda rushing this feature, so I didn't properly test it. Could you provide me with your filter settings you tried out?
To the second part, it "acts" like a buff in a sense that it resets whenever you die/log in/respawn. Changing this behavior might cause some weird inconsistencies in multiplayer.

Thanks for the feedback, I was kinda rushing this feature, so I didn't properly test it. Could you provide me with your filter settings you tried out?
To the second part, it "acts" like a buff in a sense that it resets whenever you die/log in/respawn. Changing this behavior might cause some weird inconsistencies in multiplayer.

Ah, okay, I see. As for the filter entry, I had just tried "" (blank) and "coins" (not realizing I shouldn't include the S).

Im having an issue where, your mod plus recipe browser dislike being active at the same time. I dont at all see the cause of this issue and it only happens when both are active at the same time. Any ideas what the cause could be?

Im having an issue where, your mod plus recipe browser dislike being active at the same time. I dont at all see the cause of this issue and it only happens when both are active at the same time. Any ideas what the cause could be?

I use recipe browser together with this mod all the time and never had issues, that sounds odd. Mind sharing your mod list and the config?
Also, do you get errors when you load the mods, when you join a world or when you use the magnet/mod browser?

Last edited:
I use recipe browser together with this mod all the time and never had issues, that sounds odd. Mind sharing your mod list and the config?
Also, do you get errors when you load the mods, when you join a world or when you use the magnet/mod browser?
Its when i reload the mods, it takes in the issue. Ill screen shot both the error message and my mods list

upload_2018-12-12_16-53-15.png
upload_2018-12-12_16-54-54.png
upload_2018-12-12_17-1-5.png

There we go. The mod list does not have ur mod because i cant enable both at the same time.

Last edited:
make sure to edit your last post with the solution if you found one!

Added persistency to the magnet so it doesn't turn off now when you respawn and had it on before. Not sure how I feel about it auto-enabling when quit and join a world though.

Last edited:
UPDATE: v0.1.7 is out, check the changelogs
Please try out different configs if you play with friends on a server and test if everything behaves like expected
Report any bugs if they do occur

I realize this unbalances things, so I plan on doing a server enforced config
As always, the config gets reset with a new update, so just double check if you did change it from its default values

(note that with this update, in multiplayer it takes a short delay until your magnet turns off/on now)

So I want to preface this with the fact that we're running 64bit tModLoader, which may potentially be an influence, or these problems listed are just typical Terraria multiplayer glitchiness. Here's my (and my friend's) experience using this mod in a multiplayer environment:

1) The magnet doesn't seem to like staying turned off. My friend would respawn after death and the magnet would be back on again even though he had it turned off before. I'm not sure if the short delay you mentioned in the post prior is what is causing this or not, as we would need to further test it in that case.

2) I've had multiple times now where magneting items to myself with a full inventory would cause items that didn't get picked up to bug in a few different ways, including:

• Completely vanishing from existence on both our clients. It's possible that it's the global dropped item limit that just despawned them, but I'm not so sure that was the case in every instance.
  • 'Ghosting' (where it doesn't exist on friend's client, while I see it but can't pick it up)
  • Permanently magnetizing it, getting the item stuck in a state of magnetization to a player (possible to swap this state to another player by moving quickly, even if they don't even have the magnet in their inventory at all). This is usually also an item in a ghosted state as neither of us can pick it up, but have also had items do this and can be picked up after the person it was stuck to disconnected from the server.
3) In conjunction with #2, it doesn't seem to play well with Auto Trash slot mod as items that are to be auto trashed but you have a full inventory are the most likely to glitch out and ghost. However, this shouldn't cause items that aren't defined as auto trash to disappear or glitch.
It's possible that this is a glitch with item magnets in general, as I've seen it also occur with Luiafk's loot magnet, but haven't seen it yet with the vanilla Greedy Magnet. Thought I'd mention it anyways just in case.

I'm not sure if any of these issues can be fixed on your end, but I think it's important to let the mod author know of abnormal behavior regardless, especially when it comes to item loss from game glitching.

So I want to preface this with the fact that we're running 64bit tModLoader, which may potentially be an influence, or these problems listed are just typical Terraria multiplayer glitchiness. Here's my (and my friend's) experience using this mod in a multiplayer environment:

1) The magnet doesn't seem to like staying turned off. My friend would respawn after death and the magnet would be back on again even though he had it turned off before. I'm not sure if the short delay you mentioned in the post prior is what is causing this or not, as we would need to further test it in that case.

2) I've had multiple times now where magneting items to myself with a full inventory would cause items that didn't get picked up to bug in a few different ways, including:

• Completely vanishing from existence on both our clients. It's possible that it's the global dropped item limit that just despawned them, but I'm not so sure that was the case in every instance.
  • 'Ghosting' (where it doesn't exist on friend's client, while I see it but can't pick it up)
  • Permanently magnetizing it, getting the item stuck in a state of magnetization to a player (possible to swap this state to another player by moving quickly, even if they don't even have the magnet in their inventory at all). This is usually also an item in a ghosted state as neither of us can pick it up, but have also had items do this and can be picked up after the person it was stuck to disconnected from the server.
3) In conjunction with #2, it doesn't seem to play well with Auto Trash slot mod as items that are to be auto trashed but you have a full inventory are the most likely to glitch out and ghost. However, this shouldn't cause items that aren't defined as auto trash to disappear or glitch.
It's possible that this is a glitch with item magnets in general, as I've seen it also occur with Luiafk's loot magnet, but haven't seen it yet with the vanilla Greedy Magnet. Thought I'd mention it anyways just in case.

I'm not sure if any of these issues can be fixed on your end, but I think it's important to let the mod author know of abnormal behavior regardless, especially when it comes to item loss from game glitching.
I will look into these when I have some more free time, but all those bugs seem to be multiplayer related, so I advise you to both have the exact same configs until I have fixes ready

UPDATE v0.1.8

Multiplayer:
* This mod is multiplayer compatible, the config is entirely server side, but the buff flag is forced to 1
* Items that are inbetween two players with magnets will "float"
* Certain items (i.e. Boss bags in expert mode) will be pulled by all players even though it might not be picked up
* Due to the way the "grab delay" is only set in singleplayer, items dropped by the player will instantly latch onto the player, which is normal behavior
* Items might not get sucked up and turn into a "ghost" with the Auto Trash Mod enabled
* Report any bugs in the forum thread

Hopefully this update will make the magnet stable in multiplayer

Last edited:
Reactions: BMB
UPDATE v.0.1.9

Pushed a small multiplayer fix.

Due to the lack of any reports, I'm assuming that the mod works mostly fine in multiplayer now?

Back
Top Bottom