Items Items stats and drop rate rebalancing

Nakano15

Terrarian
During my last gameplay, some items have quite an absurd drop rate, either It's absurdly low, or absurdly frequent, making either items too easy, or too boring to farm.
I'll also list some item modification ideas here, because... Yes.
Here I'll list some of my ideas of drop rate changes, and why.

• Biome Keys: Drop rate From 1/2500 to 1/1000.
    • Why: After the launch of the Lunar Apocalypse events and the other Lunar events, like the Pumpkin Moon and the Frost Moon, the items acquired from Hardmode Dungeon got some devaluation, even more due to the fact that they are acquired after you defeat Plantera, some of those items no longer feels worth farming for hours a biome just to get a key, unless you really want to make a compendium with all items you found on your world, which in any case would still be missing one (because at least one of the chests depends on the evil biome spawned in the world).
  • Biome Chest Special Equipments: Rebalance
    • Why: Not only their loot can be acquired quite late in the game, but unless just for fun or for some events, the gears acquired from post plantera can easily outrank most of them. The weapons are interesting, but is it really worth passing hours trying to farm the key just to have your hard earned weapon stored in a chest? Those weapons needs some boosts of status, either that, or make the chests be able to be opened even since you first stepped on Hardmode.
  • Lihzahrd Power Cell: Drop rate from 1/50 to 1/125
    • Why: With a basic farming, you can farm several of those after some minutes farming the Lihzahrd Dungeon monsters. After grinding so much, I grew tired of grinding the Golem, seriously. I just needed to spawn him, kill him, grab his loot and then spawn him again, over and over again, I even were able to get an absurd amount of platinum coins out of that too.
  • Solar Tablet Fragment: Drop rate from 14.29% to 2.5%

• Why: For quite the same reason as the Lihzahrd Power Cell, you can farm several of those after some minutes of gameplay, I have a chest with about 2 rows of 20 Solar Tablets crafted and stored in it, to you see how easy it is to farm it, Is so easy to acquire those Solar Tablet Fragments that you can have enough Solar Tablets for a life long of Solar Eclipse spawning at your own desire.
  • The Axe: Rebalance
    • Why: What is the point of farming for this? Not only is a pain to farm Plantera, but the status of that weapon are awfully low. It doesn't even shots. Any weapon from pre plantera can outrank that weapon, it doesn't even produce any special effect when attacking, other than a guitar sound. If It's rare just because It can break walls and cut trees, there are better and easier to acquire items on post plantera events. This weapon is only for personal achievement.
  • Pre Evil Axes, Pickaxes and Hammers: Rebalance
    • Why: Those tools could also be good weapons, If they had their own individual status to priorize a certain style of gameplay, those tools could increment early game melee combat, like a pickaxe having a higher critical rate, the axe having a good damage, while the hammer could inflict a higher knockback on enemies. That would make the gameplay more diverse for the early game, and one wouldn't need to depend so much of swords if want to be a melee fighter (beside there is Yoyo and Boomerang aswell).
  • Slime Staff: Drop rate from 1/10000 to 1/1000 for Slimes and Slimed Zombies and 1/8000 to 1/800 for Sand Slimes.
    • Why: Summoning isn't really a new thing anymore on Terraria, there are even sets and new summons in the game, so why is the Slime Staff still so rare? That may even end up being the first summoning weapon a player may find in the game, or the last, due to the drop rates. Unless you find a Slime Statue rigged to some underground trap, you will have a hard time farming for those jumping acid bubbles. Also, the King Slime could also offer a chance of droping the Slime Staff, maybe 1/25 chance of dropping alongside It's loost?
Those are some of my drop rate and rebalancing ideas, beside possibly I may be missing something.

Last edited:
  • Lihzahrd Power Cell: Drop rate from 1/50 to 1/125
    • Why: With a basic farming, you can farm several of those after some minutes farming the Lihzahrd Dungeon monsters. After grinding so much, I grew tired of grinding the Golem, seriously. I just needed to spawn him, kill him, grab his loot and then spawn him again, over and over again, I even were able to get an absurd amount of platinum coins out of that too.
  • Solar Tablet Fragment: Drop rate from 14.29% to 2.5%
    • Why: For quite the same reason as the Lihzahrd Power Cell, you can farm several of those after some minutes of gameplay, I have a chest with about 2 rows of 20 Solar Tablets crafted and stored in it, to you see how easy it is to farm it, Is so easy to acquire those Solar Tablet Fragments that you can have enough Solar Tablets for a life long of Solar Eclipse spawning at your own desire.
So, reduce the drop rates of these items? Generally, reducing the drop rates of items(especially essentials like that) is frowned upon by many people. If you grow tired of farming Golem, then maybe the problem is in the Golem's loot pool, not the item itself? I still struggle to even get one cell from farming for several minutes in the temple. The player shouldn't be challenged because of how unlucky they are. The drop rates of these items are fine.

Agree on increasing biome key drop rates and changing the weapons. The Frost Hydra and Vampire Knives are the only useful weapons... but Frost Hydra was nerfed in 1.3.4 (sentry summon limits) and V-Knives are only useful with reforging to Godly plus a few damage boosting accessories (as they should be). The dungeon biome items aren't really anything special anymore.

Disagree on reducing the Lihzhard Power Cell and Solar Tablet Fragment drop rates. They're supposed to be semi-common. There are chests that can provide Power Cells, but if you want to farm Golem or you luck out, you don't want to spend forever trying to get a Power Cell to fight Golem again. Similarly on the Fragments - you need 8 Fragments to make a Tablet. Again, you don't want to spend forever killing Lihzhards if you need a Solar Eclipse.

So, reduce the drop rates of these items? Generally, reducing the drop rates of items(especially essentials like that) is frowned upon by many people. If you grow tired of farming Golem, then maybe the problem is in the Golem's loot pool, not the item itself? I still struggle to even get one cell from farming for several minutes in the temple. The player shouldn't be challenged because of how unlucky they are. The drop rates of these items are fine.
If you remain on the same place killing all Lihzahrds that appear, even more without preparing the terrain around, then yes, you'll have problems dropping it, because monsters still spawns outside the screen, taking the spawn points of the lihzahrd dungeon monsters.

Also, if you prepare the dungeon to do some farming by making a open area on the center of it, you have a higher chance of farming for those items.
Agree on increasing biome key drop rates and changing the weapons. The Frost Hydra and Vampire Knives are the only useful weapons... but Frost Hydra was nerfed in 1.3.4 (sentry summon limits) and V-Knives are only useful with reforging to Godly plus a few damage boosting accessories (as they should be). The dungeon biome items aren't really anything special anymore.

Disagree on reducing the Lihzhard Power Cell and Solar Tablet Fragment drop rates. They're supposed to be semi-common. There are chests that can provide Power Cells, but if you want to farm Golem or you luck out, you don't want to spend forever trying to get a Power Cell to fight Golem again. Similarly on the Fragments - you need 8 Fragments to make a Tablet. Again, you don't want to spend forever killing Lihzhards if you need a Solar Eclipse.
The Frost Hydra indeed is a good summon, but there are better sentry summons, even more counting the last tier Old one's army turrets, they deal really good damage, and as bonus may even cause debuff on enemies.

It isn't to spend forever, It's to just not be so common, the drop rate of the power cells and solar tablet fragments is quite high, even more solar tablet fragments, even though you need 8 of them to make a tablet, you can have 20 stacks of Solar Tablets in mere minutes of farming.

If Terraria had a contraption of auto using a certain item inside a chest, my world certainly would never have a normal sunny day, but would be eclipse, due to how many of those tablets I've found.

If you remain on the same place killing all Lihzahrds that appear, even more without preparing the terrain around, then yes, you'll have problems dropping it, because monsters still spawns outside the screen, taking the spawn points of the lihzahrd dungeon monsters.

Also, if you prepare the dungeon to do some farming by making a open area on the center of it, you have a higher chance of farming for those items.
Again, why reduce the drop rate for no reason aside from that? Of course mass-scale farming will get you those items quickly. But Terraria isn't just a giant "farm until you get every single item you may need", it is more so an explorative game that new players will be intrigued on the location of various items. Forcing those players to farm for the item, especially for those who have no idea of its whereabouts, is a no-go. I'm fine with the drop rates as they are now. Drop rates shouldn't be reduced because you get them that much, because it will mostly hurt the community.

Plus, it's also quite difficult to prepare the terrain without a Picksaw, which you may need to farm for Power Cells to even get the item, considering Golem's loot pool. Lowering that drop rate would just make it more painful without adding much to the game.

Last edited:
Again, why reduce the drop rate for no reason aside from that? Of course mass-scale farming will get you those items quickly. But Terraria isn't just a giant "farm until you get every single item you may need", it is more so an explorative game that new players will be intrigued on the location of various items. Forcing those players to farm for the item, especially for those who have no idea of its whereabouts, is a no-go. I'm fine with the drop rates as they are now. Drop rates shouldn't be reduced because you get them that much, because it will mostly hurt the community.

Plus, it's also quite difficult to prepare the terrain without a Picksaw, which you may need to farm for Power Cells to even get the item, considering Golem's loot pool. Lowering that drop rate would just make it more painful without adding much to the game.
Gotta prepare for the end game raid.

Alright, I'm just kidding. Well, then better I remove from the thread the drop rate nerfs from those items then, beside I still disagree, even more for the solar tablet fragments.
I'm with anyone who thinks farming for basic items for hours is bad design.
Whoopie Cushie spawn rate increase, then?

Back
Top Bottom