Weapons & Equip Items That Should Be Combinable.

i havent played terraria in so long! in gettng back into it slowly.....

whats Mighty Wind? (im guessing debuff that slows you down if moving a specific direction(left/right))
Pretty much. It’s from the desert sandstorms, blowing you in a certain direction.

The Worst Ones I Can Think Of Are Stoned, Distorted, On Fire, And Blindness.

Also, Chaos State Wouldn't Be Negated, And Mighty Wind Either.

Thanks.

You Don't Have Your Eyes On Your Hotbar 24/7, And If You Are, You Have More Then Likely Died Because Of It.

It's Good Not Having To Guess When Obsidian Skin And Water Walking Will Wear Off, And You Can't Refresh A Potion While It's Effect Is Active. Even If You Get Obsidian Skin And Water Walking Back Up Before You Take More Then One Hit, You're Still In A Pit Of Lava With Reduced Movement Speed, And In Expert Mode, Every Hit Counts.

You Can't Risk Falling Into A Pit Of Lava Because You Weren't Paying Attention. Plus, If You Can Afford To Chug An Obsidian Skin Potion Every Time You Run Into Lava, You Have Way Too Many.
Um, I only ever need them twice in a playthrough, once for a trip to the hellforge and once for wall of flesh. Going so deep underground isn't worth it when it has no exclusive loot (i.e. THE ENTIRETY OF HARDMODE)

And even then, it doesn't take half a brain to hold down the buff hotkey when you notice that you haven't chugged one for a while.
Finally, water walking potions also work on lava, so realistically I'm just using a single obsidian skin potion for the hellforge/hellstone trip (I only use hellstone for a pickaxe). And a water walking potion for an accidental wall of flesh summon (I always build an arena first, so if I only summon the wall intentionally you can actually count this potion out.

The lava waders are a completely awful accessory.

Complete disagreement. In the world I play now, it is the first time I have ever managed to make the Lava Waders, and I use them all. the. time. Except when fighting bosses, where I use the frog leg to fly faster. Not being slowed down by water while running is an absolute blessing.

Besides, I don't understand your argument. Are you saying that being able to combine two accessories is bad because one of the components is more useful than the other? That seems like absurd logic to me...

Complete disagreement. In the world I play now, it is the first time I have ever managed to make the Lava Waders, and I use them all. the. time. Except when fighting bosses, where I use the frog leg to fly faster. Not being slowed down by water while running is an absolute blessing.

Besides, I don't understand your argument. Are you saying that being able to combine two accessories is bad because one of the components is more useful than the other? That seems like absurd logic to me...
No, I'm saying it's awful because you have to go extremely far out of your way to get it when the effect is mediocre at best and can be easily emulated with potions or a grappling hook.

Um, I only ever need them twice in a playthrough, once for a trip to the hellforge and once for wall of flesh. Going so deep underground isn't worth it when it has no exclusive loot (i.e. THE ENTIRETY OF HARDMODE)

And even then, it doesn't take half a brain to hold down the buff hotkey when you notice that you haven't chugged one for a while.
Finally, water walking potions also work on lava, so realistically I'm just using a single obsidian skin potion for the hellforge/hellstone trip (I only use hellstone for a pickaxe). And a water walking potion for an accidental wall of flesh summon (I always build an arena first, so if I only summon the wall intentionally you can actually count this potion out.
While You Might Not, I Spend Massive Amounts Of Time In The Underworld, And Can't Afford To Chug Obsidian Skin Potions For Near Hours Straight.

Mind You, At The Point Of The Game I'm In In My 1.3.4/5 (1.3.5 Doesn't Have Enough Content To Justify Another Playthrough) I Can Just Say ":red: It" And Just Tank The Damage Completely (Woohoo Vamp Knives).

I Never Said That Water Walking Potions Didn't Work On Lava, So I'm Not Even Sure Where That Came From, And As I Said, You Are Still In A Vat Of Lava That You Can't Swim Your Way Out Of.

Another Thing; By Your Logic, Celestial Shell Is Another Awful Accessory, Because I Can Just Drink Gills, Flipper Potions (Which Are Actually MORE Effective Then The Shell Btw), And Well Fed And Get The Exact Same Buff, But I Don't Hear Anything About That. I Mean, You Even Said It Yourself...

No, I'm saying it's awful because you have to go extremely far out of your way to get it when the effect is mediocre at best and can be easily emulated with potions or a grappling hook.

While You Might Not, I Spend Massive Amounts Of Time In The Underworld, And Can't Afford To Chug Obsidian Skin Potions For Near Hours Straight.

Mind You, At The Point Of The Game I'm In In My 1.3.4/5 (1.3.5 Doesn't Have Enough Content To Justify Another Playthrough) I Can Just Say ":red: It" And Just Tank The Damage Completely (Woohoo Vamp Knives).

I Never Said That Water Walking Potions Didn't Work On Lava, So I'm Not Even Sure Where That Came From, And As I Said, You Are Still In A Vat Of Lava That You Can't Swim Your Way Out Of.

Another Thing; By Your Logic, Celestial Shell Is Another Awful Accessory, Because I Can Just Drink Gills, Flipper Potions (Which Are Actually MORE Effective Then The Shell Btw), And Well Fed And Get The Exact Same Buff, But I Don't Hear Anything About That. I Mean, You Even Said It Yourself...
The celestial shell isn't as bad because:
I need it's effects more than twice in the entirety of a playthrough, its effects actually stack with potions rather than get completely negated by them, and the werewolf buff is free defense and regeneration. The merfolk buff isn't useful, but you don't have to go miles out of your way to get it like with a lava charm or water walking boots anyway (I usually get multiple neptune shells from the first eclipse, and those are the opposite of difficult to summon)

I suppose my issue with lava waders is that it's way too annoying to get, and the effects are not only nullifed, but actually improved upon by potions, meaning I can throw extra damage in that precious accessory slot instead. If they made Lava waders less rare and made it get improved by potions in some way rather then negated by them, I guess I would consider it at least an OK accessory. But as it is, it's far too annoying to get for an effect that you only NEED once in a blue moon.

Also, I don't get how the flipper potions are better than the shell, I mean, sure their theoretical ascent speed is faster, but I find holding spacebar to be much less annoying than constantly tapping it.

Last edited:
The celestial shell isn't as bad because:
I need it's effects more than twice in the entirety of a playthrough, its effects actually stack with potions rather than get completely negated by them, and the werewolf buff is free defense and regeneration. The merfolk buff isn't useful, but you don't have to go miles out of your way to get it like with a lava charm or water walking boots anyway (I usually get multiple neptune shells from the first eclipse, and those are the opposite of difficult to summon)

I suppose my issue with lava waders is that it's way too annoying to get, and the effects are not only nullifed, but actually improved upon by potions, meaning I can throw extra damage in that precious accessory slot instead. If they made Lava waders less rare and made it get improved by potions in some way rather then negated by them, I guess I would consider it at least an OK accessory. But as it is, it's far too annoying to get for an effect that you only NEED once in a blue moon.

Also, I don't get how the flipper potions are better than the shell, I mean, sure their theoretical ascent speed is faster, but I find holding spacebar to be much less annoying than constantly tapping it.

While Well Fed Does Stack With The Celestial Shell, Gills And Flipper Do Not, And While Obsidian Skin Overrides Lava Waders, Water Walking Does Not. The Werewolf Buff Is Free Defense And Regen, But So Are Ironskin And Regen Potions. Wings Can Be (Partially) Replaced With Featherfall, Worm Scarf With Endurance, Gravity Globe With Gravitation Potions, Magic Mirror With Recall Potions. Just Because Something Is Free Stats Doesn't Mean A Potion Can't Ultimately Replace It, So The Whole "Obsidian Skin < Lava Waders" Thing Is Pretty Useless, Because Every Item I Just Mentioned, Except For Gravity Globe, Are Very Useful.

And If Rng Screws You, Any Item That Isn't A Guaranteed Drop Can Be Annoying To Get. Hell, I Tore Apart My Surface To Find An AGLET And RADAR. Two Of The Easiest Items To Get, And Only One Of Each In A Whole Medium World. Your First Gold Chest You Find Might Have A Lava Charm. The First Water Chest You Find Could Have Water Walking Boots. No Chest In A World Could Have Either. You Might Get A Neptune Shell The First Time, It May Take 200 Times. It's All Up To Rng. If Something Being Hard To Get Makes It Bad, Then Everything In Terraria Is Bad.

While Well Fed Does Stack With The Celestial Shell, Gills And Flipper Do Not, And While Obsidian Skin Overrides Lava Waders, Water Walking Does Not. The Werewolf Buff Is Free Defense And Regen, But So Are Ironskin And Regen Potions. Wings Can Be (Partially) Replaced With Featherfall, Worm Scarf With Endurance, Gravity Globe With Gravitation Potions, Magic Mirror With Recall Potions. Just Because Something Is Free Stats Doesn't Mean A Potion Can't Ultimately Replace It, So The Whole "Obsidian Skin < Lava Waders" Thing Is Pretty Useless, Because Every Item I Just Mentioned, Except For Gravity Globe, Are Very Useful.

And If Rng Screws You, Any Item That Isn't A Guaranteed Drop Can Be Annoying To Get. Hell, I Tore Apart My Surface To Find An AGLET And RADAR. Two Of The Easiest Items To Get, And Only One Of Each In A Whole Medium World. Your First Gold Chest You Find Might Have A Lava Charm. The First Water Chest You Find Could Have Water Walking Boots. No Chest In A World Could Have Either. You Might Get A Neptune Shell The First Time, It May Take 200 Times. It's All Up To Rng. If Something Being Hard To Get Makes It Bad, Then Everything In Terraria Is Bad.
You have forgotten that all of those good items stack with potions rather than get completely and utterly negated by them, and their effects aren't good literally twice in a playthrough. Why should I stop at having 17% damage reduction when I could have both the worm scarf and endurance potion for 27%? The lava waders simply doesn't do this.

Yes, RNG can screw you over, but my point is not how hard it is to get, but how far you have to go out of your way for, and the resulting reward. You have to go farther out of your way for a lava charm (or even water walking boots) than any of the components for a celestial shell. I'd rather not have to go miles in search of a water chest or comb the caverns for golden chest for a magma charm. Solar Eclipses have so much good loot that you're dumb not to farm when they show up, and the summons for them appear in a necessary area of the game. That accounts for two of the four components already. Then you realize that Golem, the least frustrating boss to farm (he's really easy and you get a whole lot of cells from the journey to the inner chamber.) and is also necessary for progression drops ANOTHER of the components. That just leaves one item, which is the Moon Charm. You get the opportunity once every seven days, but you don't have to go out of your way at all to go to the forest biome. I rest my case.

You have forgotten that all of those good items stack with potions rather than get completely and utterly negated by them, and their effects aren't good literally twice in a playthrough. Why should I stop at having 17% damage reduction when I could have both the worm scarf and endurance potion for 27%? The lava waders simply doesn't do this.

Yes, RNG can screw you over, but my point is not how hard it is to get, but how far you have to go out of your way for, and the resulting reward. You have to go farther out of your way for a lava charm (or even water walking boots) than any of the components for a celestial shell. I'd rather not have to go miles in search of a water chest or comb the caverns for golden chest for a magma charm. Solar Eclipses have so much good loot that you're dumb not to farm when they show up, and the summons for them appear in a necessary area of the game. That accounts for two of the four components already. Then you realize that Golem, the least frustrating boss to farm (he's really easy and you get a whole lot of cells from the journey to the inner chamber.) and is also necessary for progression drops ANOTHER of the components. That just leaves one item, which is the Moon Charm. You get the opportunity once every seven days, but you don't have to go out of your way at all to go to the forest biome. I rest my case.
Good points, my dude.

Maybe we could just have the lava charm be a rare drop from creatures in hell or something.

Good points, my dude.

Maybe we could just have the lava charm be a rare drop from creatures in hell or something.
I don't hate that, but It's still pretty far out of your way, and it doesn't solve the problem of water walking boots. I feel like making the lava charm just be craftable from something like obsidian+fire moss would be better (because you can place moss in 1.4).

This Is Getting :red:ing Irritating. The Whole Point I Was Trying To Make Is That If It Has A Less-Than-100% Chance To Drop, You Will Get :red:ed Trying To Get That Item Eventually. In My Last Expert Playthrough, It Took Over 200. 200. Cursed Skulls To Drop A Nazar, And Still Didn't Get It. I Ended Up Just Giving Up On That Front. And This Was For Ankh Shield, One Of My Most Used Accessories. And As I Said, Yes The Potions Stack With Those Items, But They Also Work By Themselves. You Don't Have Space For Worm Scarf (Hahaha)? Drink An Endurance Potion And Get Basically The Same Effect.

Yes, While Werewolves And Creature From The Deep Are Common Spawns, Their Drops Aren't. And Golem Does Drop The Sun Stone, But, And This Is Absolutely Amazing, HE WON'T ALWAYS DROP IT. It's A Chance To Drop It. You Could Get 5 Sun Stones In Five Golems, Or None In 100. It's All Up To Chance. I've Reiterated This Twice Now.

Depending On Your Luck, The First Slime You Kill Could Drop A Slime Staff, Or Literally None Could Drop It. Depending On Your Luck, You Could Get The Exact You Want From A Boss First Try, Every Time, Or Never Get What You Want. Does That Make It Good? Does That Make It Bad?

NO.

I'm Done With This, Because I'd Rather Rip Out Every Single Hair I Have Then Debate This Any Farther.

But that is not an argument against making it combinable with the FS boots. If you don't like them, just don't use them...

Back
Top Bottom