• Journey's End on PC - Find info here and here. Please report bugs and issues for PC 1.4 and 1.4.1 to Re-Logic here.
  • Journey's End on Mobile - Find info here. Report bugs for Mobile 1.4 to DR Studios at this link and give as much detail as possible.
  • 1.4 will bring many changes to the PC version. We strongly advise making plans to back up your worlds and players prior to updating your game. More details here.
  • Console and Switch - The latest news can be found here. To report a bug, please use this link.

Items you think are overrated?

Agent Sandstorm Σ

Steampunker
From now on, I will show support in making guns and bows equal in power.
And I will not stop until a community patch is done for that, because we aren't getting an official patch for it.

whoneedsnamestbh

Eye of Cthulhu
From now on, I will show support in making guns and bows equal in power.
And I will not stop until a community patch is done for that, because we aren't getting an official patch for it.

I can’t really say it’s that big of a deal or really an issue at all. It’s not like there’s a very big difference in strength between say Vortex Beater or Phantasm (yes, chlorophyte ammo counts) and there are significant points in the game where guns do better - particularly post mech and early game.

And besides, it sounds like a good way to powercreep Ranged even more than it already is.

Derpling Ω

Plantera
Terraspark feels incredibly overrated to me. It takes way too much time to obtain and every single effect it has beyond Lightning Boots tier is either a) outclassed by other items like potions that are much easier to get, and I'm accounting for stacks of them, and aren't even that useful to begin with and still do the job better, or b) "solve" an issue which wasn't even present in the first place (why is slipping on ice a problem. Why is falling through thin ice a problem if you have a minor eternity to get out, especially if you're post goblin army.)

Cell phone feels overrated too, but the use of that item is more subjective than others (I don't find the time function useful, for example, but I know others do and it doesn't have a better alternative) so I'm not really going to defend that.

whoneedsnamestbh

Eye of Cthulhu
I would say the Possessed Hatchet is pretty good. Also, those things aren't really overrated. You won't hear me going around recommending the Heat Ray to any mages.

Love how Heat Ray was shifted into single target under the argument that there were too many crowd weapons at its tier, despite the existence of Razorpine and Specter Staff and also despite the fact that many other crowd mage weapons of its tier are trash.

J Bame

Terrarian
Love how Heat Ray was shifted into single target under the argument that there were too many crowd weapons at its tier, despite the existence of Razorpine and Specter Staff and also despite the fact that many other crowd mage weapons of its tier are trash.

It was changed because it was extremely similar to the Staff of Earth and especially the Shadowbeam staff. Now instead of having Golem drop two weapons that both do the same thing we have one specialized for crowds and another for single targets

Last edited:

MagicasquirrelTMT

Official Terrarian
I personally think that summoners are overrated... Or, I should say, the new summoner "changes" are overrated.

Why? Well, the reason is simple - because all those changes didn't "change" summoner, they threw summoner into a garbage can and re-made it from scratch.

I mean, think about it - now summoner has great progression: pre-boss armor piece with reliable minions like snow flinx and vampire frog, the still absurdly strong obsidian armor, new minions with reliable AI like blade staff and sanguine staff... Is something missing? Yes. Where's the slime and hornet staff? Bee armor? Tiki armor? Pigmies, pirates, optic staff? All of these weapons and armor sets get majorly overshadowed by the new, reliable alternatives that also deal more damage due to lack of/not having as much I-frame issues.

I mean, I think whips are a great addition to summoners, but the obsidian armor was a mistake. Armor that you can get after 1 boss, which can carry you until the very last armor sets? Why?

Overall, my main complaint with summoner is that these changes make "classic", minion-slot focused summoner completely worthless. Not only did the old summoner armors and weapons not get much worthwhile changes, but they also have to compete with the newer, much stronger gear, which puts down their viability into the void. The devs really put a lot of effort into 1.4, and I feel extremely ashamed of myself for complaining about this, but it really feels like they took the cheap and easy way out when it comes to summoner.

Derpling Ω

Plantera
I personally think that summoners are overrated... Or, I should say, the new summoner "changes" are overrated.

Why? Well, the reason is simple - because all those changes didn't "change" summoner, they threw summoner into a garbage can and re-made it from scratch.

I mean, think about it - now summoner has great progression: pre-boss armor piece with reliable minions like snow flinx and vampire frog, the still absurdly strong obsidian armor, new minions with reliable AI like blade staff and sanguine staff... Is something missing? Yes. Where's the slime and hornet staff? Bee armor? Tiki armor? Pigmies, pirates, optic staff? All of these weapons and armor sets get majorly overshadowed by the new, reliable alternatives that also deal more damage due to lack of/not having as much I-frame issues.

I mean, I think whips are a great addition to summoners, but the obsidian armor was a mistake. Armor that you can get after 1 boss, which can carry you until the very last armor sets? Why?

Overall, my main complaint with summoner is that these changes make "classic", minion-slot focused summoner completely worthless. Not only did the old summoner armors and weapons not get much worthwhile changes, but they also have to compete with the newer, much stronger gear, which puts down their viability into the void. The devs really put a lot of effort into 1.4, and I feel extremely ashamed of myself for complaining about this, but it really feels like they took the cheap and easy way out when it comes to summoner.
Impure summoner is still a thing and that's what you were meant to do with old summoner, but then they just threw all hope of balancing it out the window and made pure strong enough on it's own. Which... made impure even stronger than it was before.

whoneedsnamestbh

Eye of Cthulhu
Golden Shower.

An uncontested support weapon and an essential part of any build... except it’s not, and never really was.

Golden Shower is used to inflict ichor, and does that job pretty well. But for as long as ichor has existed, flasks and ichor ammo also have. Ichor can be applied to literally any melee weapon for what is basically free (flasks are ridiculously cheap to make). Ichor ammo works because there are two types of ichor ammo, and if you’re using a gun as a main you can throw ichor ammo onto a bow or vice versa. Final nail in the coffin for the thing was in 1.4.1, when whips were given flask compatiability and summoner had its own access to ichor.

Considering the fact that Melee, Summoner and Ranged already can inflict ichor using their own arsenal of stuff, and Golden Shower isn’t even that impressive of a weapon with the debuff set aside, it’s only really used for Mage. And even then, even a fast or homing melee weapon or a gun imbued with ichor can inflict ichor as well, so Golden Shower gets cut down even smaller: pure mages, or mages when fighting invasions. It’s not nothing, but it is definitely overrated.

Derpling Ω

Plantera
Golden Shower.

An uncontested support weapon and an essential part of any build... except it’s not, and never really was.

Golden Shower is used to inflict ichor, and does that job pretty well. But for as long as ichor has existed, flasks and ichor ammo also have. Ichor can be applied to literally any melee weapon for what is basically free (flasks are ridiculously cheap to make). Ichor ammo works because there are two types of ichor ammo, and if you’re using a gun as a main you can throw ichor ammo onto a bow or vice versa. Final nail in the coffin for the thing was in 1.4.1, when whips were given flask compatiability and summoner had its own access to ichor.

Considering the fact that Melee and Ranged already can inflict ichor using their own arsenal of stuff, and Golden Shower isn’t even that impressive of a weapon with the debuff set aside, it’s only really used for Mage. And even then, even a fast or homing melee weapon or a gun imbued with ichor can inflict ichor as well, so Golden Shower gets cut down even smaller: pure mages, or mages when fighting invasions. It’s not nothing, but it is definitely overrated.
BuT i OnLy UsE cHlOrOpHyTe BuLlEtS aNd HoLy ArRoWs!!!1!!!

~every ranger who still uses it.

Lady Marigold

Official Terrarian
Personally, the vampire knives. they're never that useful to me, plus the corruption one is WAY better and more fun to use.

Top Bottom