Items you think are overrated?

Hmmmm, vampire knives is the only thing that comes up on my mind.
Has been some time when people rant on how OP it is because of how it heals and deals huge damage.

Minishark Megashark and Terrablade

yup...

upload_2016-4-21_21-11-51.gif

Number 1.
Phantasm, most definitely. I see it being praised often on YouTube ranger loadouts and whatnot. But frankly the weapon is underwhelming, being just a faster Tsunami with less base damage but more DPS due to speed. No new special abilities, nothing. A boring idea since it is just a repetition of an older bow.

Phantasm... the weapon I once thought, because of the name, that would finally give ranger the ability to attack through blocks like any other class in the game can. But after all, it's just another type of Tsunami. Bah!

Number 2.
Terra Blade. The once beloved sword of Terraria. Worth of a Steam achievement of its own. What about today? Replaced by Yoyos, and swords that shoot rainbow cats (an old and boring meme in 2016). Seriously... What have they done? Not even a chance to keep on crafting on top of the Terra Blade to upgrade it. No. They just simply made the weapon obsolete and in fact, in many playthroughs, you don't even need it anymore when you get to be able to finish crafting it.

Terra Blade... what have they done to the namesake sword and once sweatheart weapon?

Number 1.
Phantasm, most definitely. I see it being praised often on YouTube ranger loadouts and whatnot. But frankly the weapon is underwhelming, being just a faster Tsunami with less base damage but more DPS due to speed. No new special abilities, nothing. A boring idea since it is just a repetition of an older bow.

Phantasm... the weapon I once thought, because of the name, that would finally give ranger the ability to attack through blocks like any other class in the game can. But after all, it's just another type of Tsunami. Bah!

I didn't knew the Tsunami rapidly shoots homing ghost arrows with any type or arrow.
That makes it far away from been weapon as boring as the tsunami.

I didn't knew the Tsunami rapidly shoots homing ghost arrows with any type or arrow.
That makes it far away from been weapon as boring as the tsunami.

As said, the phantasm requires Line of Sight as any other weapon in the ranger arsenal. This is the only class with such a limitation. Every other class offers some kind of class-oriented weapon capable of bypassing LOS limitations (they can either target through blocks, or even attack mobs within blocks). Meanwhile, the Phantasm ghost arrows effect is only triggered after you got your target into LOS and provided the target remains active (hasn't died, or you haven't change your target to something else).

For this reason, Phantasm is only useful for boss fights and overpowered by better options in the ranger arsenal against the Moon Lord (like the SDMG or Vortex Beater), who requires you to change your targets constantly. You will take very little advantage of the ghost arrows effect when fighting multiple mobs in confined spaces or rough terrain.

the shadowflame hex doll... when I saw that weapon taking down martian madness in the trailer, I thought it was awesome, and then when I learnt that martian madness was almost endgame, I thought it would be more powerful, but when I got it it wasn't that great.

Damn, this thread has been dead for four years. But the rules are that I can’t make repeat threads, so here I am.

Anyway, the single most overrated weapon in my opinion is the Sanguine Staff.

Hear me out: it’s one of the better weapons for the stage that you get it in and the most viable pre-plantera summon. However, I see people all the time insisting that it’s the best minion up until endgame, or that you need literally nothing else after you get it, or that there isn’t a single better minion for the post-Plantera bosses. This is false.

Raven Staff immediately pulls out more DPS than Sanguines by a factor of almost 50 perceng, and even if they are flawed in AI their preformance in most situations is still better against most bosses of their tier and infinitely better in events.

Desert Tiger Staff is instantly superior to Sanguine for the fast single targets that Sanguine itself does well at. There’s literally no reason to use Sanguine over it against Duke or Empress, especially since Desert Tiger only takes an AFK farm in the most common biome to obtain.

I’ve even had people tell me it’s better than Xeno because it’s reliable, in complete disregard for the fact that not only is Xeno almost equally reliable but has exactly double the hit rate and almost the same base damage.

Don’t get me wrong, overrated does not equal bad, but people still vastly overstate its power compared to pretty much anything post-Plantera.

Last edited:
I'll agree with you on post-empress.

as for my overrated weapon, it would probably be enchanted sword. People seem to like it in pre-hm, but then dump on the hm counterpart even though they are the same!
like weesh, if you like one weapon,what about the counterpart,which is literally the same but with more damage?? I like the beam sword as a upgrade to the enchanted sword.

I'll agree with you on post-empress.

as for my overrated weapon, it would probably be enchanted sword. People seem to like it in pre-hm, but then dump on the hm counterpart even though they are the same!
like weesh, if you like one weapon,what about the counterpart,which is literally the same but with more damage?? I like the beam sword as a upgrade to the enchanted sword.

Well, the reason people hate Beam Sword is that by Hardmode its role as a long ranged melee weapon is instantly replaceable by better options.

But yeah, I agree with Enchanted Sword. The projectiles on a Gold or Platinum Bow are literally more powerful than the sword beam with frostburn arrows, a combo infinitely easier to get than the enchanted sword, and Starfury occupies both niches as a decent broadsword and projectile melee weapon anyway.

The Daedalus Stormbow.
People act like it's the only option to defeating the mechanical bosses. It's questionable if it's even the best.
I still managed to deal with the mechanical bosses with an Uzi, there are options other than farming mimics.

The Daedalus Stormbow.
People act like it's the only option to defeating the mechanical bosses. It's questionable if it's even the best.
I still managed to deal with the mechanical bosses with an Uzi, there are options other than farming mimics.
Well, it’s still good, but only for the Destroyer

The Daedalus Stormbow.
Actually, the best ranger weapon in early hardmode is still obtained from farming mimics... but it's not the stormbow anymore. In fact, the stormbow isn't even the best counter for the Destroyer anymore...

It's these two:
1610478066418.png
1610478115407.png

Back
Top Bottom