Items you think are overrated?

From now on, I will show support in making guns and bows equal in power.
And I will not stop until a community patch is done for that, because we aren't getting an official patch for it.

From now on, I will show support in making guns and bows equal in power.
And I will not stop until a community patch is done for that, because we aren't getting an official patch for it.

I can’t really say it’s that big of a deal or really an issue at all. It’s not like there’s a very big difference in strength between say Vortex Beater or Phantasm (yes, chlorophyte ammo counts) and there are significant points in the game where guns do better - particularly post mech and early game.

And besides, it sounds like a good way to powercreep Ranged even more than it already is.

Terraspark feels incredibly overrated to me. It takes way too much time to obtain and every single effect it has beyond Lightning Boots tier is either a) outclassed by other items like potions that are much easier to get, and I'm accounting for stacks of them, and aren't even that useful to begin with and still do the job better, or b) "solve" an issue which wasn't even present in the first place (why is slipping on ice a problem. Why is falling through thin ice a problem if you have a minor eternity to get out, especially if you're post goblin army.)

Cell phone feels overrated too, but the use of that item is more subjective than others (I don't find the time function useful, for example, but I know others do and it doesn't have a better alternative) so I'm not really going to defend that.

I would say the Possessed Hatchet is pretty good. Also, those things aren't really overrated. You won't hear me going around recommending the Heat Ray to any mages.

Love how Heat Ray was shifted into single target under the argument that there were too many crowd weapons at its tier, despite the existence of Razorpine and Specter Staff and also despite the fact that many other crowd mage weapons of its tier are trash.

Love how Heat Ray was shifted into single target under the argument that there were too many crowd weapons at its tier, despite the existence of Razorpine and Specter Staff and also despite the fact that many other crowd mage weapons of its tier are trash.

It was changed because it was extremely similar to the Staff of Earth and especially the Shadowbeam staff. Now instead of having Golem drop two weapons that both do the same thing we have one specialized for crowds and another for single targets

Last edited:
I personally think that summoners are overrated... Or, I should say, the new summoner "changes" are overrated.

Why? Well, the reason is simple - because all those changes didn't "change" summoner, they threw summoner into a garbage can and re-made it from scratch.

I mean, think about it - now summoner has great progression: pre-boss armor piece with reliable minions like snow flinx and vampire frog, the still absurdly strong obsidian armor, new minions with reliable AI like blade staff and sanguine staff... Is something missing? Yes. Where's the slime and hornet staff? Bee armor? Tiki armor? Pigmies, pirates, optic staff? All of these weapons and armor sets get majorly overshadowed by the new, reliable alternatives that also deal more damage due to lack of/not having as much I-frame issues.

I mean, I think whips are a great addition to summoners, but the obsidian armor was a mistake. Armor that you can get after 1 boss, which can carry you until the very last armor sets? Why?

Overall, my main complaint with summoner is that these changes make "classic", minion-slot focused summoner completely worthless. Not only did the old summoner armors and weapons not get much worthwhile changes, but they also have to compete with the newer, much stronger gear, which puts down their viability into the void. The devs really put a lot of effort into 1.4, and I feel extremely ashamed of myself for complaining about this, but it really feels like they took the cheap and easy way out when it comes to summoner.

I personally think that summoners are overrated... Or, I should say, the new summoner "changes" are overrated.

Why? Well, the reason is simple - because all those changes didn't "change" summoner, they threw summoner into a garbage can and re-made it from scratch.

I mean, think about it - now summoner has great progression: pre-boss armor piece with reliable minions like snow flinx and vampire frog, the still absurdly strong obsidian armor, new minions with reliable AI like blade staff and sanguine staff... Is something missing? Yes. Where's the slime and hornet staff? Bee armor? Tiki armor? Pigmies, pirates, optic staff? All of these weapons and armor sets get majorly overshadowed by the new, reliable alternatives that also deal more damage due to lack of/not having as much I-frame issues.

I mean, I think whips are a great addition to summoners, but the obsidian armor was a mistake. Armor that you can get after 1 boss, which can carry you until the very last armor sets? Why?

Overall, my main complaint with summoner is that these changes make "classic", minion-slot focused summoner completely worthless. Not only did the old summoner armors and weapons not get much worthwhile changes, but they also have to compete with the newer, much stronger gear, which puts down their viability into the void. The devs really put a lot of effort into 1.4, and I feel extremely ashamed of myself for complaining about this, but it really feels like they took the cheap and easy way out when it comes to summoner.
Impure summoner is still a thing and that's what you were meant to do with old summoner, but then they just threw all hope of balancing it out the window and made pure strong enough on it's own. Which... made impure even stronger than it was before.

Golden Shower.

An uncontested support weapon and an essential part of any build... except it’s not, and never really was.

Golden Shower is used to inflict ichor, and does that job pretty well. But for as long as ichor has existed, flasks and ichor ammo also have. Ichor can be applied to literally any melee weapon for what is basically free (flasks are ridiculously cheap to make). Ichor ammo works because there are two types of ichor ammo, and if you’re using a gun as a main you can throw ichor ammo onto a bow or vice versa. Final nail in the coffin for the thing was in 1.4.1, when whips were given flask compatiability and summoner had its own access to ichor.

Considering the fact that Melee, Summoner and Ranged already can inflict ichor using their own arsenal of stuff, and Golden Shower isn’t even that impressive of a weapon with the debuff set aside, it’s only really used for Mage. And even then, even a fast or homing melee weapon or a gun imbued with ichor can inflict ichor as well, so Golden Shower gets cut down even smaller: pure mages, or mages when fighting invasions. It’s not nothing, but it is definitely overrated.

Golden Shower.

An uncontested support weapon and an essential part of any build... except it’s not, and never really was.

Golden Shower is used to inflict ichor, and does that job pretty well. But for as long as ichor has existed, flasks and ichor ammo also have. Ichor can be applied to literally any melee weapon for what is basically free (flasks are ridiculously cheap to make). Ichor ammo works because there are two types of ichor ammo, and if you’re using a gun as a main you can throw ichor ammo onto a bow or vice versa. Final nail in the coffin for the thing was in 1.4.1, when whips were given flask compatiability and summoner had its own access to ichor.

Considering the fact that Melee and Ranged already can inflict ichor using their own arsenal of stuff, and Golden Shower isn’t even that impressive of a weapon with the debuff set aside, it’s only really used for Mage. And even then, even a fast or homing melee weapon or a gun imbued with ichor can inflict ichor as well, so Golden Shower gets cut down even smaller: pure mages, or mages when fighting invasions. It’s not nothing, but it is definitely overrated.
BuT i OnLy UsE cHlOrOpHyTe BuLlEtS aNd HoLy ArRoWs!!!1!!!

~every ranger who still uses it.

Personally, the vampire knives. they're never that useful to me, plus the corruption one is WAY better and more fun to use.

Rod of Discord, honestly.
I got it first day of hardmode.
Only use it for long distance transportation...and dodging Deathrays.

It's a really good item, but too rare for it's own good. 500 hours on a single character, only got it twice.
To put that in perspective, I have about 10 slime staffs.

I'm going to say something controversial and say the Frozen Turtle Shell. For one, it's a relatively rare drop, and it only has an effect when at or below half of your health.

Don't get me wrong, it has saved me from an untimely death on countless occasions, but I feel that it just isn't too viable in singleplayer.

Its synergy with the Paladin's Shield leads me to believe that it was intended for use as a lifeline for those who chose to equip the Shield in multiplayer, to allow them to recover after being on the receiving end of damage intended for their teammates.

But herein lies the problem. While the Shield can be equipped in singleplayer for an additional 6 defence (10 with the Warding prefix) with no detriment to the player other than consuming an accessory slot, the Frozen Turtle Shell, despite its recent buff allowing it to reduce any incoming damage by 25% while in effect, I feel is still too inconsistent to see wide use outside of melee tank builds.

This buff remains a significant improvement over its past form (which entailed the addition of 30 defence when at or below half health), but one cannot deny that its viability has been further limited to enduring attacks from stronger, more powerful enemies. No doubt this is invaluable when engaging boss enemies, but it falls short when facing large swarms of weaker enemies, especially during events.

I realise that I may be reiterating what has probably been said at least a dozen times at this point, but these two accessories need to be able to be tinkered together, else it would be a gross waste of potential.
1.4: Frozen Shield you mean?
Rod of Discord, honestly.
I got it first day of hardmode.
Only use it for long distance transportation...and dodging Deathrays.

It's a really good item, but too rare for it's own good. 500 hours on a single character, only got it twice.
To put that in perspective, I have about 10 slime staffs.
You just didn't discover its full potential. In my opinion it is one of the best item in the game. For exploration purposes, it can be used to explore small air pockets and other caves which has no direct path to to mine out ores, crystals, and collect drops on the ground. It is also astromically op when exploring post-plant dungeon. Getting cornered by a bone lee, miscellous undead mages, or a paladin? teleport away to a cave near it or other dungeon parts! Dropped into a pit of enemies? Teleport away! There are rare drops behind a swarm of bones? teleport to there! It is just such a time saver. It is also excellent for fast bosses, namely the twins and empress of light. It can be used to outrun spaz's rapid long dashes+flamethrower with ease, and can determine life or death for the prismatic bolt+sun dance combo in empress's 2nd phase, it just makes getting terraprisma so much easier. I have no idea how I would've went through that without my RoD in my eternity playthrough.

Water Bolt, it's incredible in pro-hardmode, that's it, it becomes obsolete in Hardmode.
Shield of Cthulhu, the dash is great but if you're aren't Melee/Multi then you have way better accessories to use.

Water Bolt, it's incredible in pro-hardmode, that's it, it becomes obsolete in Hardmode.
Shield of Cthulhu, the dash is great but if you're aren't Melee/Multi then you have way better accessories to use.
Of course water bolt becomes obsolete in Hardmode, it’s a pre-Hardmode weapon. There’s like two pre-Hardmode weapons that don’t.

Of course water bolt becomes obsolete in Hardmode, it’s a pre-Hardmode weapon. There’s like two pre-Hardmode weapons that don’t.
I know that, but the reason i mentioned it was because of those people who will call it the best weapon in the game and that you're just unskilled because you aren't on the same level as Yrimir.

I think they were just remembering the good old days where if you were really lucky, you could snag the Water Bolt before Skeletron and make any challenge in PHM Mage a complete joke.

Last edited:
Overrated items? Boy have I got a hot take for you:

Mana Flower.

Just press the :red:ing button, man. It's not hard. Bind QuickMana to middle click or something else accessible and you will never need this item again. If you're about to use the excuse of "It's too hard to keep track of my mana during a fight," I have to wonder what in the world you're keeping track of at all, since mana directly translates to attacking:

- Are you looking at the area around your character? If you are, then you won't see yourself using the weapon.

-Are you looking at the area around the boss? If you are, then you'll see that the boss isn't taking any damage.

-Are you looking at the area between your character and the boss? I haven't the foggiest why you're doing that, but if you are then you'll see that there aren't any projectiles heading towards the boss.

-Do you just simply have your eyes closed? In that case you will HEAR your weapon stop firing (Or fire slower).

If you run out of mana, you have both visual AND audio cues to tell you that you need to drink a potion even WITHOUT looking at how much mana you have left. And let's not mince words here: It's incredibly easy to check your mana gauge. To do it, simply perform the following flowchart

-Look to the right side of your screen. Do you see blue?
-If no, drink potion
-If yes, carry on.

If my ADHD hyperfocused mania brain can do that while fighting FTW Empress of Light Wingless and Mountless (And a :red:ton of other restrictions to prevent cheese), then you can do it during a normal bossfight. I believe in you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom