Items you think are overrated?

Eventide. Tsunami. Phantasm. Stake Launcher. Daedalus stormbow. Would you call these overrated? Heck no. They are one of the best ranged weapons at its tier! Sure, there are a lot of useless filter bows, but these just excels above everyone else. In my opinion, bows only start to get good once plantera is down. They are really cool bows too! They have their strong points in progression, just like guns.
Sorry, I meant to say that the "category" of bows is overrated. There's only a few bows that people really use and remember, the rest are just random pre-Hardmode craftables.
Plus, you do mention that they only really get fun once Plantera is down. Do guns have the same problem?
Also, I didn't realize the Stake Launcher is counted as a bow. The Terraria Wiki doesn't seem to.

Sorry, I meant to say that the "category" of bows is overrated. There's only a few bows that people really use and remember, the rest are just random pre-Hardmode craftables.
Plus, you do mention that they only really get fun once Plantera is down. Do guns have the same problem?
Also, I didn't realize the Stake Launcher is counted as a bow. The Terraria Wiki doesn't seem to.

Stake Launcher is a weird kind of “everything”. It uses separate ammo like the launcher/others and gets gun zoom from rifle scope, but in terms of shroomite helmets and archery potion, it gets the bow damage boosts.

Do guns have the same problem?
I feel like with the addition of chlo bullets, they become around the same as before.
Stake Launcher is a weird kind of “everything”. It uses separate ammo like the launcher/others and gets gun zoom from rifle scope, but in terms of shroomite helmets and archery potion, it gets the bow damage boosts.
Wait, it gets gun zoom? :echthink:

Eh, I'll count the Stake Launcher as neither a gun or a bow.
I feel like with the addition of chlo bullets, they become around the same as before.
Then again, you only really get access to those when you're closer to the mid-Hardmode. A lot of guns, as far as I can tell, are accessible before that.

And you know what? I'm gonna add on another opinion.
I don't get the point of using the Rifle Scope for a lot of guns.

A lot of them aren't accurate enough to be hitting at the range that you get from it, unless it's really big, or you're using chlorophyte bullets (i.e. the thing CursedSliver always complains about). Only weapons I can think of that are accurate enough are like, the Venus Magnum, Xenopopper, SDMG, Sniper Rifle (which already comes with a scope), maybe the Stake Launcher, as I've never used it?

Plus, I just find it really difficult to use, as a trackpad player. You can't rebind right-click, so you're stuck awkwardly fiddling around with clicking to try and get it done, and it's hard to hold down.

Flairon.

Merely average DPS, 0 crowd control and one of the worst attack styles in the game. Yes, its bubbles are homing and whatever but their lifespan is so short that they wont be able to hit anything that either moves slightly erratically or wasnt right next the flail when it spawned.

If something doesnt fly in a straight line towards you in an open area this weapon is going to be useless. This is one of the few weapons that cant even get past the second wave of the Old Ones Army (something that the literal :red:ing Shadowbeam staff and Tempest Staff can do).

Can it even be considered a flail, mechanically speaking?
Yeah it got hit hard by the adjustment of other weapons and what makes it all the more painful is that if it had been modified to use the new flail mechanics it could have stayed/become useful and it even looks like it should be a swung flail it just isn't for some reason.

I think they are talking about 'fun' rather than efficency.
Yeah the issue is that "fun" is relative Mechanically there are only a few guns that really feel like they have the character compared to the late game bows that said the Onyx Blaster is by far on of the best feeling weapons in the game its unique projectile really sets it apart in a way that feels so good to use. Likewise the Xenopopper is interesting although sadly quite a bit unwieldy. The high velocity upgrade of the Uzi, Venus Magnum, and especially Sniper Rifle are great when not using special bullets, The powerful and often guaranteed crit of the sniper feels amazing to pull off. However most guns just shoot more bullets faster among late game ranged weapons the SDMG is just so boring no cool effects or interesting mechanics just straight damage. Guns basically just all feel the same whereas bows at least as long as they aren't one of the boring ore tier ones, don't and that gives them far more character. Likewise Launchers are quite a bit more unique to use in the brief window they are available though they are a bit limited on ammo grounds.

Golden Shower.
Before you hate me on this, let me explain why.
I had watched a few videos and saw a few threads saying that the Golden Shower was incredibly useful for the Destroyer fight. Soon, I obtained the Golden Shower after using a Water Bolt to farm for the Ichor. (Yes, a Water Bolt. I was looking for a new weapon.) After I obtained it, I got on the my arena, added new platforms and summoned the Destroyer.
I was disappointed. The Ichor didn’t work on the Destroyer, and it tanked most of the damage inflicted. It was dealing 8 damage per hit and it sucked my mana dry. I used a lot of mana potions, but the Destroyer killed me too fast. I even used it on enemies underground. It took a lot of mana to kill a single enemy.
I probably should have chosen Corruption anyway.

Golden Shower.
I had watched a few videos and saw a few threads saying that the Golden Shower was incredibly useful for the Destroyer fight. Soon, I obtained the Golden Shower after using a Water Bolt to farm for the Ichor. (Yes, a Water Bolt. I was looking for a new weapon.) After I obtained it, I got on the my arena, added new platforms and summoned the Destroyer.
I was disappointed. The Ichor didn’t work on the Destroyer, and it tanked most of the damage inflicted. It was dealing 8 damage per hit and it sucked my mana dry. I used a lot of mana potions, but the Destroyer killed me too fast. I even used it on enemies underground. It took a lot of mana to kill a single enemy.
The golden shower isn't meant to be your primary weapon. It is meant to be a weapon to inflict ichor with. It has good piercing and range, as well as ichor duration, and it doesn't use any ammo makes it an excellent choice for that 15 defense reduction.

The golden shower isn't meant to be your primary weapon. It is meant to be a weapon to inflict ichor with. It has good piercing and range, as well as ichor duration, and it doesn't use any ammo makes it an excellent choice for that 15 defense reduction.
Well, I didn’t have a primary weapon, but now I know the Golden Shower sucks at being one.

The Golden Shower isn’t the best way of inflicting Ichor though, as melee and summoner can inflict it without switching weapons with Flasks, and Ichor Arrows and Bullets have much more range than the Golden Shower’s stream.

Last edited:
The Golden Shower isn’t the best way of inflicting Ichor though, as melee and summoner can inflict it without switching weapons with Flasks and Ichor Arrows and Bullets have much more range than the Golden Shower’s stream.
I would actually disagree. Golden Shower does have its niche as an early way to quickly inflict ichor.

I see a lot of people here bringing up Homing Melee weapons and Whips but Homing Melee isn’t a thing until much later unless you get the extremely rare Lieutenant Cooperation’s Shield, and even then Golden Shower can quickly inflict it on a huge group thanks to its fantastic range and infinite pierce.

As a sidearm, it’s pretty fantastic. There ARE good alternatives, especially later on, but early on this is an incredibly effective way to inflict the debuff.

Last edited:
Flairon.

Merely average DPS, 0 crowd control and one of the worst attack styles in the game. Yes, its bubbles are homing and whatever but their lifespan is so short that they wont be able to hit anything that either moves slightly erratically or wasnt right next the flail when it spawned.
Prior to 1.3, Flairon was the weapon to use in the Moon events if you wanted to cheese them. Boost your melee attack power, grapple to a spike and fire Flairon away. The trick to Flairon was not to aim directly at enemies, but to aim past them. The real damage from Flairon comes from the bubbles, and they can be quite deadly with some buffing.

It was not overrated before, but it is now.

Nowadays, Solar Eruption, Daybreak or even Zenith are better choices if you want to cheese the Moon events as a melee player... (Yes, they are weapons from after the Moon events. The key word in my statement was "cheese". ;) )

I would actually disagree. Golden Shower does have its niche as an early way to quickly inflict ichor.

I see a lot of people here bringing up Homing Melee weapons and Whips but Homing Melee isn’t a thing until much later unless you get the extremely rare Lieutenant Cooperation’s Shield, and even then Golden Shower can quickly inflict it on a huge group thanks to its fantastic range and infinite pierce.

As a sidearm, it’s pretty fantastic. There ARE good alternatives, especially later on, but early on this is an incredibly effective way to inflict the debuff.
Here's my counter, ichor ammo is just as easy to hit with and is effectively free, while a golden shower require 15 souls of night! Those souls could have made an actually good weapon, like an onyx blaster that could exploit the lowered defense.

The piercing doesn't matter using an ichor sidearm is only worth on bosses, common enemies die to quickly from good weapons to use a separate weapon to inflict ichor.

I think that Golden Shower was hit hard by the overall nerf to ichor (outside the destroyer fight), and its been power-creeped for piercing by other magic weapons like Life Drain, Cursed Flames and Crystal Vile Shard.

I think Cursed Flames' DPS was doubled even without considering the debuff (damage went from 36 to 50 and use time went from 20 to 15, so damage per second increased by +85%). And then the inferno DPS was quadrupled from 6 DPS to 24 DPS for everyone who's not immune to it, and a lot of enemies were made no longer immune to it. So I think Golden Shower is definitely not as good as old guides made it out to be at the time.

I think wings in general are overrated. You can beat the whole endgame on Master Mode with the Witch's Broom, which frees up three slots (boots, wings, and dashing), but I see a lot of very good players who prefer to use Celestial Starboard, Soaring Insignia, etc. for endgame fights or weapon comparisions or 'ultimate loadouts'. I don't think it's objectively wrong, I just don't get the attraction.

Golden Shower.
Yeah this strategy hasn't worked in years because it was patched out of the game. In fact I think one of the Destroyer buffs back in 1.2 was at least in part basically intended to hard counter this strategy. Quite frankly this is the reason why the Destroyer was given total debuff immunity (Golden Shower was also nerfed too back then). As a consequence yes this strategy does not work at all. The only "Cheese strategy that hasn't been culled entirely is the Storm Bow+Holy Arrows and that is because well Relogic gave up at rebalancing it as they realized they couldn't fix it without making more sweeping changes to the game.

I think that Golden Shower was hit hard by the overall nerf to ichor (outside the destroyer fight), and its been power-creeped for piercing by other magic weapons like Life Drain, Cursed Flames and Crystal Vile Shard.

I think Cursed Flames' DPS was doubled even without considering the debuff (damage went from 36 to 50 and use time went from 20 to 15, so damage per second increased by +85%). And then the inferno DPS was quadrupled from 6 DPS to 24 DPS for everyone who's not immune to it, and a lot of enemies were made no longer immune to it. So I think Golden Shower is definitely not as good as old guides made it out to be at the time.

I think wings in general are overrated. You can beat the whole endgame on Master Mode with the Witch's Broom, which frees up three slots (boots, wings, and dashing), but I see a lot of very good players who prefer to use Celestial Starboard, Soaring Insignia, etc. for endgame fights or weapon comparisons or 'ultimate loadouts'. I don't think it's objectively wrong, I just don't get the attraction.

Yeah but it should be noted the Golden shower was nerfed several times before they ultimately nerfed Ichor as a whole its a similar treatment to the infamous Shadow Beam staff that got hard nerfed before they figured out that Spectre Armor was the problem.
As for wings The Witch's broom does largely replace them for non vanity purposes the only possible exceptions being the use of set bonuses and items where you need to stay still to get the effect.(i.e. Shroomite stealth) or where wings grant a special property to the player beyond just mobility such as Fishron wings removal of movement impediments from all liquids. The Starboard + Insignia combo does grant significantly more mobility but given that it requires the expert drops of the two hardest bosses in the game it better give you more than an expert mount does. In general though Witch's Broom is the best general use mount with the Shrimpy Truffle situationally being better if raining/underwater

Prior to 1.3, Flairon was the weapon to use in the Moon events if you wanted to cheese them. Boost your melee attack power, grapple to a spike and fire Flairon away. The trick to Flairon was not to aim directly at enemies, but to aim past them. The real damage from Flairon comes from the bubbles, and they can be quite deadly with some buffing.

It was not overrated before, but it is now.

Nowadays, Solar Eruption, Daybreak or even Zenith are better choices if you want to cheese the Moon events as a melee player... (Yes, they are weapons from after the Moon events. The key word in my statement was "cheese". ;) )
Exactly Flairon was once the best melee weapon in the game period its just that when all the other post Plantera tier weapons were buffed/reworked the poor Flairon was left in the dust. This is especially unfortunate since it looks like a normal flail and fires like the standard click of the new normal flail mechanics had it been included in the rework it could have easily maintained its position among other late game melee weapons but they didn't.

Honestly I really don't like the argument, weapon X used to be good but then other weapons got buffed. Like usually the reason those other weapons got buffed was because they were weak. If a weapon has to be compared to weak options to look good then the weapon wasn't good to begin with.
I guess that is one way of looking at it but on the other hand if all the other weapons got buffed were they too weak? Now some Nuance is needed for clarification that Melee as a whole was fairly weak back then and still generally is compared to the other classes not counting a certain glorified trophy.

Sadly some weapons haven't aged well spears for instance have largely been left behind since the addition of the North Pole. Short swords are now effectively Spears but able to get the legendary modifier as their attack speed and size can be modified. Boomerangs are in a similarly sad position as most neglected melee class weapons so they are probably the most overrated currently. And then there is the Phase blades/Sabers which haven't been worth using since... 1.1 Yeah.

I really wish the Alt Click mechanic given to the Old Ones Army crossover was applied more liberally to weapons especially melee weapons as alt attacks would be one way to help differentiate weapons from one another and really fit naturally with melee weapons. Sky Dragon's Fury shows that two autoswing alt attacks can be used effectively and efficiently.
Really the only weapons I don't see alt attacks working on is Summons but in a way that could be compensated with their own special effects such as say alt click to refresh all sentries or call back minions.

Probably the bladed glove or the scourge of the corruptor or any kind of repeater you use them once and then drop them

Probably the bladed glove or the scourge of the corruptor or any kind of repeater you use them once and then drop them
What? The Scourge of the Corruptor is amazing! The weapons only "flaw" is being the counterpart of Vampire Knives one of the few things unobtainable in the other evil worlds outside of Drunk Worlds.

Back
Top Bottom