Items you think are overrated?

Exactly Flairon was once the best melee weapon in the game period its just that when all the other post Plantera tier weapons were buffed/reworked the poor Flairon was left in the dust. This is especially unfortunate since it looks like a normal flail and fires like the standard click of the new normal flail mechanics had it been included in the rework it could have easily maintained its position among other late game melee weapons but they didn't.
That's because back in 1.2.4 the other endgame melee weapons usually sucked.
Horseman's blade is terrible outside of statue cheese.
North pole is uh... it just doesn't work well.
Christmas tress sword was an absolute joke before 1.4.
Vampire knives were really the only good endgame melee weapon.

I guess that is one way of looking at it but on the other hand if all the other weapons got buffed were they too weak? Now some Nuance is needed for clarification that Melee as a whole was fairly weak back then and still generally is compared to the other classes not counting a certain glorified trophy.
I generally don't like limiting comparisons to 1 class, I'd rather compare flairon to other homing weapons. Based on my Empress kill times.
Razorblade typhoon is almost universally considered overpowered so we'll ignore that.
Xenopopper and nightglow are obtained around the same time as flairon and perform MUCH better.
Chain gun is considered a little underpowered and is weaker than the two weapons above but still leaves flairon in the dust.
Bat Scepter performed about as well as chain gun.

Xenopopper and chain gun never got buffs, and nightglow got an irrelevant buff.

Sadly some weapons haven't aged well spears for instance have largely been left behind since the addition of the North Pole. Short swords are now effectively Spears but able to get the legendary modifier as their attack speed and size can be modified. Boomerangs are in a similarly sad position as most neglected melee class weapons so they are probably the most overrated currently. And then there is the Phase blades/Sabers which haven't been worth using since... 1.1 Yeah.
Now that I think about it, has any spear been added, buffed, or nerfed since the 1.2 era? Well aside from the trident.
Most of the 'new' 1.4 melee weapons like flails, shortswords (starlight especially) have badass animations. Really wish some of the old melee weapons were revisited.

Yeah honestly the Vampire Knives are a bit overrated as with a good build and knowledge of what you are doing you don't need the life steal which you can't even use against Moonlord.
Everyone freaked out about valhala knight plate being op at 8hp/s, the vampire knives cap out at 30 hp/s... like seriously that's just stupid and its not hard to reach that cap. It's even better if you use it as a sidearm as if you haven't used the knives in a while there is no cap to how quickly you can restore your first 70 health.

Spectre hood uses the same mechanics and is similarly disgusting.

'You don't need it' can be applied to literally any weapon in this game, the problem is that when you do use it it's too effective. I never go out of my way to get biome keys but the few playthroughs I get vampire knives it's like wtf, how this get past like... any balance check?

What? The Scourge of the Corruptor is amazing! The weapons only "flaw" is being the counterpart of Vampire Knives one of the few things unobtainable in the other evil worlds outside of Drunk Worlds.
Its not that it isn't good, it is just too overshadowed by the infamous Vampire Knives.
thats what I meant its good but it gets overshadowed by the Vampire knives thats why people think its bad

That's because back in 1.2.4 the other endgame melee weapons usually sucked.
Horseman's blade is terrible outside of statue cheese.
Christmas tress sword was an absolute joke before 1.4.
Vampire knives were really the only good endgame melee weapon.

I generally don't like limiting comparisons to 1 class, I'd rather compare flairon to other homing weapons. Based on my Empress kill times.
Razorblade typhoon is almost universally considered overpowered so we'll ignore that.
Xenopopper and nightglow are obtained around the same time as flairon and perform MUCH better.
Chain gun is considered a little underpowered and is weaker than the two weapons above but still leaves flairon in the dust.
Bat Scepter performed about as well as chain gun.

Xenopopper and chain gun never got buffs, and nightglow got an irrelevant buff.

Now that I think about it, has any spear been added, buffed, or nerfed since the 1.2 era? Well aside from the trident.
Most of the 'new' 1.4 melee weapons like flails, shortswords (starlight especially) have badass animations. Really wish some of the old melee weapons were revisited.

Everyone freaked out about Valhalla knight plate being op at 8hp/s, the vampire knives cap out at 30 hp/s... like seriously that's just stupid and its not hard to reach that cap. It's even better if you use it as a sidearm as if you haven't used the knives in a while there is no cap to how quickly you can restore your first 70 health.

Spectre hood uses the same mechanics and is similarly disgusting.

'You don't need it' can be applied to literally any weapon in this game, the problem is that when you do use it it's too effective. I never go out of my way to get biome keys but the few playthroughs I get vampire knives it's like wtf, how this get past like... any balance check?
Yeah I agree if you use absolute damage calculations melee was objectively awful excluding the original prenerf North Pole (Which managed to achieve the Highest DPS possible as there was no damage cap and specialized enemy farms designed to abuse The Horseman's Blade. I think that was a conscious balance decision as the degree of which melee weapons are weaker in DPS than other classes is/was fairly similar. This definitely fell out of favor in 1.3 and 1.4 however where basically only Yo-yo's and Swords were added bar a few exceptions mostly concentrated in prehardmode. I guess the Zenith can technically be counted as a Sword Boomerang hybrid but that is just a glorified trophy masquerading as a weapon.

But yeah The only Spears added since 1.2 are the Storm Spear and Ghastly Glaive Boomerang wise they added the prehardmode Combat Wrench and early hard mode Sergeant United Shield.

An item that’s really overrated? Honestly I think the Terraprisma. That’s not me saying it’s necessarily bad, because once you get it then crafting stardust weapons is honestly negligible, but it takes so much damn work to get and it’s honestly just as good as endgame weapons like the Dragon staff. Of course it is still *really* good, I just don’t like how hard it is to grind for, especially in master mode

An item that’s really overrated? Honestly I think the Terraprisma. That’s not me saying it’s necessarily bad, because once you get it then crafting stardust weapons is honestly negligible, but it takes so much damn work to get and it’s honestly just as good as endgame weapons like the Dragon staff. Of course it is still *really* good, I just don’t like how hard it is to grind for, especially in master mode
No terraprisma is far better then the dragon

North Pole was another weapon used to cheese events like Flairon. North Pole was better used against slower moving enemies. Aim it straight up (or as close as possible) and the resulting shower of snowflakes could do heavy damage. It might still out-DPS weapons like Solar Eruption in that regard, but Solar Eruption is both easier to obtain and easier to use.

North Pole was another weapon used to cheese events like Flairon. North Pole was better used against slower moving enemies. Aim it straight up (or as close as possible) and the resulting shower of snowflakes could do heavy damage. It might still out-DPS weapons like Solar Eruption in that regard, but Solar Eruption is both easier to obtain and easier to use.
20210712175658_1.jpg

20210712175712_1.jpg

Here is north pole vs snowman cannon for crowd control, both of these weapons are obtained the exact same way. remember... snowman cannon has homing.

And when I tested north pole against empress of light the kill time was comparable to a pre mech weapon, the shoot up and let snowflakes fall does not work against fast moving bosses.

View attachment 332466

View attachment 332467
Here is north pole vs snowman cannon for crowd control, both of these weapons are obtained the exact same way. remember... snowman cannon has homing.

And when I tested north pole against empress of light the kill time was comparable to a pre mech weapon, the shoot up and let snowflakes fall does not work against fast moving
This isnt even accounting for the damage falloff the snowflakes have after there being more than 100 of them on the screen. Or the fact that not every enemy encounter is a line of perfectly still Dummies.

This isnt even accounting for the damage falloff the snowflakes have after there being more than 100 of them on the screen. Or the fact that not every enemy encounter is a line of perfectly still Dummies.
I think it is taking that into account since I'm shooting it up, also it's not "on screen" it's "in world".

Area of effect is weaker than piercing, especially when flameburst can’t even hit above itself which is kinda important considering how threatening etherian wyverns are…
Good point. I mostly only do the old ones army as summoner or melee, so i take the time to take care of wyverns myself. I would say they are equal in power especially when you can upgrade them to better damage

Back
Top Bottom