Items you think are overrated?

Warpshard

Empress of Light
In Terraria, there are obviously going to be items that everyone loves that you probably don't like very much, or were underwhelmed when you finally got it yourself. What are some items you got in the game that didn't live up to their expectations?

Mine, personally, is the Rod of Discord. It's incredibly rare, and it can teleport you anywhere on the screen once every 10 seconds. By the time in the game I may have gotten it, I probably already have an excellent pickaxe that I can just dig to that spot with.

"The Horseman's Blade"

I always wondered why so many people used it. I also wondered how cheese tastes like.
Now i know and i don't like the taste very much.

The Rod of Discord's (innuendo?) fine, by the way, because instant dodge. If we could just hotkey it...
1.3 actually seems to have silent nerfed the blade as previously hitting even projectiles would summon a pumpkin which far out did the weapons base damage and homed in on targets. Personally I feel the weapon never was meant to be used as a standard sword but rather score as many hits as possible to drastically boost dps as every hit meant another powerful pumpkin being spawned by the player. Its an interesting concept which to my knowledge only 3 weapons use as of Terraria 1.3 ( The Bee Keeper, Bladetounge, and The Horseman's Blade respectively) It forces the player to maximize the number of hits to get the weapons true effectiveness rather than the swing and or spam projectiles strategy of other melee swords.

Minishark, I think.

The only time I used it is to craft a Star Cannon or Megashark(I also seldom use Megashark by the way, but still used in a few playthrough).

Minishark, I think.

The only time I used it is to craft a Star Cannon or Megashark(I also seldom use Megashark by the way, but still used in a few playthrough).
yeah its low damage renders it and any other weapon with low damage high fire rate obsolete due to the increased health and defense of mobs in expert mode.
As of 1.3 The Terra Blade and the its true components as its outclassed so quickly by the Death Sickle at its time of acquisition for close-er range and in full by the influx waver which is one boss(Plantera) and a joke(Golem) away. Thus unless you get a lucky eclipse before you gain the ability to farm them it isn't worth it anymore.

Anything from the Moon Lord. The Celestial Pillar items are a nice upgrade, but the Moon Lord items are meh. Particularly the Portal Gun which I thought would create me some nice teleporting shortcuts on the fly... (it didn't).

The nebula Arcanum and Blaze. The typhoon is on-par (if not even better) than these two, which is a shame because I'd love to see the power of the Arcanum and Blaze if they were actually upgrades to the typhoon.
You can have a pretty number on the damage value, but lets see how quickly that drops when you need to drink a mana potion every few seconds.
Theres a whole slew of reasons why the Typhoon is better than the Nebula items but to sum it up: better tracking, more reliable, more efficient.

Nebula armor is still OP AF doe. 10/10 would craft again.

The nebula Arcanum and Blaze. The typhoon is on-par (if not even better) than these two, which is a shame because I'd love to see the power of the Arcanum and Blaze if they were actually upgrades to the typhoon.
You can have a pretty number on the damage value, but lets see how quickly that drops when you need to drink a mana potion every few seconds.
Theres a whole slew of reasons why the Typhoon is better than the Nebula items but to sum it up: better tracking, more reliable, more efficient.

Nebula armor is still OP AF doe. 10/10 would craft again.
hmm The typhoon is only one tier apart magic weapons. Nebula arcanum from my experiences isn't meant to be spammed its more of the magnet sphere,nimbus rod,rainbow gun etc. of its tier or what I call a support magic weapon identified by long lingering effects and often high mana cost. The high mana cost of these types such as the clinger staff or nebula Arcanum is meant to prevent these weapons from being spammed. The argument does indeed stand for the Nebula Blaze however as it is a primary magic weapon yeah pretty lackluster. I could also see the Arcanum get buffed as its a bit sub par for a support weapon but yeah

As for endgame content it can't be OP as their is no further content for it to be OP towards. An item can only be OP if it excels tiers ahead of where it should, and there are no higher tiers in Terraria.

Anything from the Moon Lord. The Celestial Pillar items are a nice upgrade, but the Moon Lord items are meh. Particularly the Portal Gun which I thought would create me some nice teleporting shortcuts on the fly... (it didn't).
Hey Sigma, you know those infinite loops where you just keep falling and picking up speed? Just set that up high in the sky, keep falling for a bit, and use a portal to redirect your momentum sideways. It might not let you portal anywhere in an instant, but it's by far the fastest way to travel if you stay in the air with wings.

heckwing bow. seriously, the aim is TERRIBLE, the damage sucks, and the bats don't home like the bees knees. that thing is awful.

heckwing bow. seriously, the aim is TERRIBLE, the damage sucks, and the bats don't home like the bees knees. that thing is awful.
Who knows that terrible aim can rekt WOF easily?

Uzi
I mean this sup-machine gun drained way too many bullet and the time you actually get it, you might want to use better gun instead.

I'm going to say something controversial and say the Frozen Turtle Shell. For one, it's a relatively rare drop, and it only has an effect when at or below half of your health.

Don't get me wrong, it has saved me from an untimely death on countless occasions, but I feel that it just isn't too viable in singleplayer.

Its synergy with the Paladin's Shield leads me to believe that it was intended for use as a lifeline for those who chose to equip the Shield in multiplayer, to allow them to recover after being on the receiving end of damage intended for their teammates.

But herein lies the problem. While the Shield can be equipped in singleplayer for an additional 6 defence (10 with the Warding prefix) with no detriment to the player other than consuming an accessory slot, the Frozen Turtle Shell, despite its recent buff allowing it to reduce any incoming damage by 25% while in effect, I feel is still too inconsistent to see wide use outside of melee tank builds.

This buff remains a significant improvement over its past form (which entailed the addition of 30 defence when at or below half health), but one cannot deny that its viability has been further limited to enduring attacks from stronger, more powerful enemies. No doubt this is invaluable when engaging boss enemies, but it falls short when facing large swarms of weaker enemies, especially during events.

I realise that I may be reiterating what has probably been said at least a dozen times at this point, but these two accessories need to be able to be tinkered together, else it would be a gross waste of potential.

Last edited:
Who knows that terrible aim can rekt WOF easily?

it's decent against the wall of flesh, and it fires pretty fast, but the damage isn't very good and the aim is truly dreadful. you shoot straight right and it goes and hits the ceiling. yes, the bats pierce, but you can get the same effect with unholy or jester arrows. really the only thing it has going for it is speed and autouse.

Back
Top Bottom