Items you think are overrated?

And the water in snow biome in expert.

By endgame you have the ability to destroy any enemy on the screen within seconds, so movement speed debuffs don't matter. Also, mounts ignore Chilled.

And you may want to use if you re-visit the underworld or want to clear a meteor.

Or you could just use a mount to float above it. Besides, Lava Waders are much better for underworld navigation in general.

I'd have to say a lot of the expert mode exclusive items. The only good ones are the Shield of Cthulhu (temporarily) the Worm Scarf, the Demon Heart, and the Shiny Stone. All the other ones are pretty useless despite being expert mode exclusives. I mean, the Hive Pack just makes your bees stronger sometimes, the Spore Sac spawns spores that SOMETIMES hit something to do A BIT of damage, the Bone Glove is almost completely useless when you get it, and so on. Some people might like them, but really I just don't think they're that useful.

I'd have to say a lot of the expert mode exclusive items. The only good ones are the Shield of Cthulhu (temporarily) the Worm Scarf, the Demon Heart, and the Shiny Stone. All the other ones are pretty useless despite being expert mode exclusives.
I'd say that something could be more useful that it looks.
The Royal Gel is very useful when building something in the underworld or in the Hallowed at night.
Mechanical Cart is good for quick travelling or fighting Moon Lord and Duke Fishron.
The Shrimpy Truffle is one of the best mount, even better if you put some water in bubble in your arena.
The Suspicious Looking Tentacle might be the best light pet (though someone may say wisp in a bottle better).

Others, especially the Bone Glove, is not very useful though.

I'd have to say a lot of the expert mode exclusive items. The only good ones are the Shield of Cthulhu (temporarily) the Worm Scarf, the Demon Heart, and the Shiny Stone. All the other ones are pretty useless despite being expert mode exclusives. I mean, the Hive Pack just makes your bees stronger sometimes, the Spore Sac spawns spores that SOMETIMES hit something to do A BIT of damage, the Bone Glove is almost completely useless when you get it, and so on. Some people might like them, but really I just don't think they're that useful.

The Spore Sac actually does a pretty good amount of DPS, and it's great for protecting you while farming or softening enemies up while spelunking. It's not a must-have item, but it's definitely worth consideration on your accessory bar.

Also, I've heard the Bone Glove is pretty good when used in combination with the Fossil Armor, although I haven't used either myself. Its stats look really good for a pre-hardmode weapon, though.

I really like the Expert Mode stuff. The Worm Scarf has actually made its way into my default setup, I like it so much. Plus, the Mechanical Cart is the best Minecart (Fastest, and damage enemies with the laser), and the Suspicious Tentacle reveals treasure and enemies, although it isn't controllable. Still, they're all pretty cool!

Last edited:
I really like the Expert Mode stuff. The Worm Scarf has actually made its way into my default setup, I like it so much. Plus, the Mechanical Cart is the best Minecart (Fastest, and damage enemies with the laser), and the Suspicious Tentacle reveals treasure and enemies, although it isn't controllable. Still, they're all pretty cool!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Mechanical Cart and SLT because they're just such obvious upgrades over other things that I always forget they're even expert mode exclusives.

Really the only expert items I'd call lackluster are the Brain of Confusion, Royal Gel, Hive Pack, and Gravity Globe. All the others are pretty solid.

Really the only expert items I'd call lackluster are the Brain of Confusion, Royal Gel, Hive Pack, and Gravity Globe. All the others are pretty solid.
The Royal Gel is something I always put in my vanity accessory, it's especially useful in the following situations:
  1. Build my mushroom farm in the underworld, which is useful for wall of flesh fighting and truffle worm farming, and could be destroyed by lava slime.
  2. Fighting, especially for fast clock and megaphone in the Hallowed at night, the Gastropod is really annoying.
  3. Be in a box with 1 block hole to fire through for fighting something like fighting Ice Golem, the slimes can sometimes jump through the hole.

The Royal Gel is something I always put in my vanity accessory, it's especially useful in the following situations:
  1. Build my mushroom farm in the underworld, which is useful for wall of flesh fighting and truffle worm farming, and could be destroyed by lava slime.
  2. Fighting, especially for fast clock and megaphone in the Hallowed at night, the Gastropod is really annoying.
  3. Be in a box with 1 block hole to fire through for fighting something like fighting Ice Golem, the slimes can sometimes jump through the hole.

It definitely does have some uses, it's just that usually I'm using a minion that kills slimes before they can get close anyway. I think that Lava Slime scenario, presumably in expert mode, is about the only time I'd want a Royal Gel instead of a minion (i.e. if I don't want the lava they spew on death), but I generally don't bother building much in the underworld or spending much time there at all for that matter.

I think the MOST under rated is.... the slme gun! Just kidding it's the turtle mount, however I don't know if this is over rated or down right hated.

Meowmere was overrated in attack it was nothing compared to star wrath which i use more than meowmere unless i want to hear lots of "meow meow meow etc.

Meowmere was overrated in attack it was nothing compared to star wrath which i use more than meowmere unless i want to hear lots of "meow meow meow etc.

Star Wrath is basically a worse Terrarian. Meowmere at least has its own niche where it isn't outclassed by anything.

Star Wrath is basically a worse Terrarian. Meowmere at least has its own niche where it isn't outclassed by anything.
From mobile-1.2.1 to pc-1.3.0.8 the Terra Blade is actually my only favourite sword, also it's quite and has more direct range and even can reach the meowmere's stats!(Yeah, I know under that conditions Meowmere actually doubling its damage but I just don't care!) :)

True star wrath is weaker but its stars falling is useful whilst flying up againt wnemies like duke fishron and other flying enemies

I tried the Phantasm, and while it deals incredible damage against large slow moving or immobile targets, I found it less useful against fast moving targets, or if your constantly on the move as not enough arrows would hit to proc its passive enough. Even with the magic quiver I noticed performance problems against the Moon Lord, as the arrows would miss the target.
The void beater is the better weapon, imo; the chlorophyte rounds increase its single target damage considerably and it can be used effectively against mobile targets or on the move.
[DOUBLEPOST=1453279213,1453279080][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think the MOST under rated is.... the slme gun! Just kidding it's the turtle mount, however I don't know if this is over rated or down right hated.

Its good on water. However, as the world generated tends not to have water flooding the surface, its too situational.
A water world would be pretty cool though. For the player's sanity, there would have to be a diving suit :p

I tried the Phantasm, and while it deals incredible damage against large slow moving or immobile targets, I found it less useful against fast moving targets, or if your constantly on the move as not enough arrows would hit to proc its passive enough. Even with the magic quiver I noticed performance problems against the Moon Lord, as the arrows would miss the target.
The void beater is the better weapon, imo; the chlorophyte rounds increase its single target damage considerably and it can be used effectively against mobile targets or on the move.

Moon Lord's movement is incredibly predictable, so if you can't hit him with the Phantasm then either you haven't fought him enough times or you haven't been paying attention. Or, I suppose, you could have Parkinson's or some other condition that impairs your ability to aim with a mouse.

Vortex Beater is certainly a very viable alternative to the Phantasm for the Moon Lord, though.

Moon Lord's movement is incredibly predictable, so if you can't hit him with the Phantasm then either you haven't fought him enough times or you haven't been paying attention. Or, I suppose, you could have Parkinson's or some other condition that impairs your ability to aim with a mouse.

Vortex Beater is certainly a very viable alternative to the Phantasm for the Moon Lord, though.

It is true that I only beat him twice so far. The fact that I prefer to fight him in the air and be constantly on the move may also be a factor; the low velocity of arrows don't seem to work well when on the move, as one has to lead the target even more.
I guess practice can fix that, but I'm lazy :p

I find the Hive Pack to be incredibly useful up until I get rid of the Bee's Knees. Given the almost OP nature of the Bee's Knees, I can't understand why someone wouldn't use the Hive Pack for that extra damage buff when few good accessories are available pre-hardmode anyway. Especially when you hear the words "Shark Tooth Necklace" lol, which is severely underpowered for what it is. Even using the minishark I still find better accessories to use than a menacing version of that.

Also, the Hellwing Bow works wonders at the beginning of the WoF fight to clear out the little guys since it pierces indefinitely. The inaccuracy doesn't matter then and without its inaccuracy it'd be OP, so I'm glad it is the way it is.

As for what I think to be the most overrated item; I think I gotta go with anything related to mine carts/tracks. I like my mobility and prefer to rely on it rather than following a railway. Also, I find that it takes too much time to build a nice track for the boss when a simple arena is just a matter of making a platform/box and going. (plus laying traps later on). Never mind the loss of the ability to dash. But the only boss I would ever use a minetrack for would be maybe Fishron, though even there I prefer my mobility. By the time I get to the Moonlord I already have my Pumpkin Moon arena made and why fix what ain't broke?

For me I feel like the slime staff is the most op item in the game because you get a slime that does 8 damage and thats it. OH and you get so much SWAG from it that makes you OP

Eh, Idk; given its rarity and the fact that in hardmode the little baby slime is actually a hindrance I don't think it's too OP. Never mind the slime's attack pattern and difficulty with flying targets, or the fact that it's also quickly replaced by the hornet staff.

The imp staff on the other hand is about useless, but thankfully that's quickly replaced with the spiders.

Back
Top Bottom