Other Its 2020 and we still have to deal with tombstones and banners

TheChaotic1

Terrarian
Cleaning up tombstones from my world has always been annoying, but now it also spawns enemies that move through walls and when they build up it alters the biome. Thanks. Can we get an inventory item or something that prevents tombstones? I'd gladly sacrifice one slot to never deal with them again. Or maybe make it so you need to have a certain amount of money for one to spawn, so if I keep myself coin free I always don't have to worry too much about them.

Also seriously please banners are so annoying, they need some sort of rework.
Uncommon monster banners can take way too long to get, and common monster banners can be stuffed into your inventory at an insane pace depending on your build and what you happen to be doing at any time. Make it take more green slimes to get a banner, but like, less moths or something. That way the people who do enjoy banners can be given a small QOL change in the positive direction to make up for making it harder for them to hoard green slime banners.

I have no idea why such inconvenient and obtrusive gameplay was ever even added.

Disclaimer, by replying to this thread, and especially by quoting this post, you agree to let me complain about banners and tombstones at you

Last edited:
What do you mean by “unconstructive and obtrusive”? I also find banners and gravestones annoying sometimes, but they do add new gameplay elements in rewards and obstacles.
Because I have to deal with them all the time and they fill up my inventory constantly. Especially while building or as a summoner. And I am not saying to just remove them, but to make it less in your face. Why do you need a tombstone 100% of the time when you die. Make it more rare and less of a chore.

Because I have to deal with them all the time and they fill up my inventory constantly. Especially while building or as a summoner. And I am not saying to just remove them, but to make it less in your face. Why do you need a tombstone 100% of the time when you die. Make it more rare and less of a chore.
Hard disagree. And I doubt they 'fill up your inventory constantly'. Even if they do, just take advantage of the new void storage and/or make dedicated storage for them.

Also, banners are very useful on harder difficulties, Master mode especially. I have banners in all of my arenas and where I expect to be farming a mob since they decrease time to kill significantly.

I mean you can just bin them since they are so easy to get. I normally keep banners in my piggy bank if I get them out of the blue and place them in a super long arena even if I have duplicates.

I think they may have done something about banners. I don’t seem to be getting them at every milestone of 50...
Also, the graveyard biome has some of the best and most unique items in the game. I like how easy it is to get too.

Hard disagree. And I doubt they 'fill up your inventory constantly'. Even if they do, just take advantage of the new void storage and/or make dedicated storage for them.

Also, banners are very useful on harder difficulties, Master mode especially. I have banners in all of my arenas and where I expect to be farming a mob since they decrease time to kill significantly.
I mean you can just bin them since they are so easy to get. I normally keep banners in my piggy bank if I get them out of the blue and place them in a super long arena even if I have duplicates.
I think they may have done something about banners. I don’t seem to be getting them at every milestone of 50...
Also, the graveyard biome has some of the best and most unique items in the game. I like how easy it is to get too.
Aint none of yalls get the point, yeah the graveyard IS cool, but its easy to get by accident and requires even more tombstone cleanup then before, I dont like having to search around the underground jungle for where I died because fog is spawning while I am trying to farm plantera in master mode.

And banners might be useful, but I dont want to have to deal with them in my inventory all the time, when you are playing on a multiplayer server, a lot more banners are going to be generated, and if you are like me and tend to run summoners, that means the generation of banners is even higher for me because my minions run off to bum :red: nowhere to kill random junk. I like to have a clean inventory, so when I see yet another random banner in my inventory every time I go to clean up, or worse a banner pops up in my main bar, which I also like to keep a few spaces open so I can be empty handed, it annoys me. Its annoyed me since they added it.

I have been playing terraria and cleaning up tombstones for almost a decade now, I think I should be allowed to be annoyed by minor gameplay elements that could be altered to be slightly less chorelike. There are constantly banners that I dont want and dont care about in my inventory. I dont know how yalls are playing that there isnt constantly a harpy, slime, or zombie banner popping into your inventory but there is literally always one in mine, its a constant uphill battle to keep this nonsense out.

*s n i p*
The tombstone argument is similar to arguing for the removal of corruption spread: it exists for the new challenge. Part of the game now is to clean tombstones the same way you clentaminate the corruption, adding a new mechanic to the game.
As for banners, they’re like mushrooms or dayblooms but less annoying and more useful, protecting the surrounding while being still moderately rare.

But, if it makes you happy, you can prevent both gravestones and banners. For graves, make the ground under arenas uneaven (no 2-block wide flat spaces) or cover it with objects like furnaces or chairs (idk if platforms or workbenches work). As for banners, fill your inventory with junk or carry an Encumbering Stone.

The tombstone argument is similar to arguing for the removal of corruption spread: it exists for the new challenge. Part of the game now is to clean tombstones the same way you clentaminate the corruption, adding a new mechanic to the game.
As for banners, they’re like mushrooms or dayblooms but less annoying and more useful, protecting the surrounding while being still moderately rare.

But, if it makes you happy, you can prevent both gravestones and banners. For graves, make the ground under arenas uneven (no 2-block wide flat spaces) or cover it with objects like furnaces or chairs (idk if platforms or workbenches work). As for banners, fill your inventory with junk or carry an Encumbering Stone.
That aint gameplay thats chores, corruption encroaching on your town only has to be dealt with once, by digging a hole or planting one(1) hallow seed. Tombstones are just constantly around. I don't want to completely greeble my entire town, part of why I dislike tombstones is that they make everything a cluttered mess, so this is not a solution.

AndI do use encumbering stones while building to avoid picking up garbage, which btw does nothing for tombstones since them being in my inventory has nothing to do with the issue of them being placed in my world. But it turns out, encumbering stones also block items that are not banners, which makes them completely useless for the purposes of not having banners added to my inventory randomly while I am engaging in normal gameplay.

There is not a solution for my problem that isnt the devs making banners and tombstones less comon, because the problem is I dont want to deal with them, anything I do in game to deal with them, is inherently not the solution. Saying "I dont like throwing this item in the trash constantly" and getting "Here is a special solution for you, throw them in the trash" is nothing. (Thats a specific example from this thread not from you.)

HOWEVER, making long flat areas into half blocks is good, that will help a lot in major town areas. Not as much in random spots in the world, but where it matters most it will help.

Saying "I dont like throwing this item in the trash constantly" and getting "Here is a special solution for you, throw them in the trash" is nothing. (Thats a specific example from this thread not from you.)
Gee thanks.
I mean after 7 years of playing terraria I just developed an instinct to instantly scope out useless items in my inventory and bin em, but here are some ideas: If you're playing on a journey mode character you could turn off spawns if you don't want banners and dangersense potions illuminate tombstone if you can find them.

I
I agree and disagree becuz banners constantly fill up my inventory. But also graveyards have unique enemies and you can get lots of useful things I them

Cleaning up tombstones from my world has always been annoying, but now it also spawns enemies that move through walls and when they build up it alters the biome. Thanks.
Also seriously please banners are so annoying, I dont need a banner every time I kill 50 zombies, no one does. Can they at least be tied to how common an enemy is? Blue slimes take 500, moths take 50, something like that?

I have no idea why such inconvenient and obtrusive gameplay was ever even added.

Disclaimer, by replying to this thread, and especially by quoting this post, you agree to let me complain about banners and tombstones at you

I don't find these to be a big nuisance in my gameplay. Sure you get to a point in the game where you've killed a ton and start to accumulate these things in stacks.

I have a couple of suggestions to help those in keeping things tidy:

1 - There is a trash can located in your inventory for items that you don't want. They disappear from the game.

OR, if you are a hoarder like me:

2 - I usually set up a chest solely for banners wherever I plan on killing things. Not my main base but my fortress if you will. The place where you would go before summoning invasions and whatnot or handling events.

Banners/tombstones are not worthless. They come in handy every new world I play. Right now I am at the beginning of hardmode and the banners really help to make combat less droning. I had to actually kill myself a number of times just to get enough tombstones to be able to craft some of the new items in the graveyard biome. Plus, these items also come in handy for people who take building/creating seriously.

I disagree with changing the counts it takes to get them.

I don't find these to be a big nuisance in my gameplay. Sure you get to a point in the game where you've killed a ton and start to accumulate these things in stacks.

1 - There is a trash can located in your inventory for items that you don't want. They disappear from the game.

2 - I usually set up a chest solely for banners wherever I plan on killing things. Not my main base but my fortress if you will. The place where you would go before summoning invasions and whatnot or handling events.

Banners/tombstones are not worthless. They come in handy every new world I play. Right now I am at the beginning of hardmode and the banners really help to make combat less droning. I had to actually kill myself a number of times just to get enough tombstones to be able to craft some of the new items in the graveyard biome. Plus, these items also come in handy for people who take building/creating seriously.

Ik that there is a trash can but I find that constantly if I want a new item to be picked up but I don’t want to throw away anything and all my chests and crap are full it can be kinda annoying

Gee thanks.
I mean after 7 years of playing terraria I just developed an instinct to instantly scope out useless items in my inventory and bin em, but here are some ideas: If you're playing on a journey mode character you could turn off spawns if you don't want banners and dangersense potions illuminate tombstone if you can find them.
*agrees in mushroom*

Yalls in here thinking "have you tried throwing them in the trash" is a valid reply. Ironic that much like the banners that plague me, these also keep showing up when I don't want them to.

Just slightly more rare, why is this a stance that fills people with the need to tell me about hitting ctrl then clicking? The world may never know. I am not complaining about the graveyard, I like the graveyard, exactly where I put it, which is not my spawn town.

Yalls in here thinking "have you tried throwing them in the trash" is a valid reply. Ironic that much like the banners that plague me, these also keep showing up when I don't want them to.

Just slightly more rare, why is this a stance that fills people with the need to tell me about hitting ctrl then clicking? The world may never know. I am not complaining about the graveyard, I like the graveyard, exactly where I put it, which is not my spawn town.

So many of us should be penalized because you are disorganized?

Also, if you're dying enough to make inadvertent graveyards a real possibility, perhaps play on a lower difficulty? I'm playing on a solo large Master mode world, but I also have a very methodical playstyle and set up extensive safe transportation networks so I can get around the world without having to fight enemies on my way. If I'm trying to get a boss down, I clear the gravestones every few attempts. Hasn't really been an issue at all, though.. yet anyway.

And I have 3 chests for dedicated banner storage. Pre-hardmode, Hardmode, and Event. If I have extra after a farm/exploration session, I just quickstack to the chests.

This is my home base, with 2 mechanical bosses on farm (still working on getting Skeletron Prime down).
AW4NjTO.png

So many of us should be penalized because you are disorganized?
I'm not sure how you got the impression that someone who hates having random junk fall into their inventory and random furniture added to their world is disorganized? If anything I'm too organized. But to answer your question, yes I think you personally should be punished by making a small gameplay change that would only affect common monster banner rewards and the conditions of a tombstone spawning.

NyLkTc8.png

I'm not complaining about the graveyard, I am complaining about having to clean up tombstones. I've beaten solo master mode twice now, and on both runs I still had to clean up tombstones because sometimes you die. And every single time you die, a tombstone is made. I just want a mild change to make it go from 100% to literally any percent. Its worse in multiplayer because I have to clean up other peoples death sites too.

I'm not complaining about the graveyard, I am complaining about having to clean up tombstones. I've beaten solo master mode twice now, and on both runs I still had to clean up tombstones because sometimes you die. And every single time you die, a tombstone is made. I just want a mild change to make it go from 100% to literally any percent. Its worse in multiplayer because I have to clean up other peoples death sites too.

That's different. I can understand multiplayer being an issue. Your original post made it seemed like banners too which is where I drew the line. I personally think there is a bug with tombstones, or perhaps I have been unlucky and have died over invalid locations. Half of my deaths I haven't even received a tombstone. I only play single player, master, and prior to that expert for a long time, so maybe that's our difference. I really don't encounter an issue at all with having to pickup many.

Back
Top Bottom