Game Mechanics Journey mode is incompatible with medium- and hard-core

What do you think of this idea?

• Oh yeah! The two options are good!

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Hey, I would like to have that slider!

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Ooh... I would like the unchangeable "secondary-difficulty"...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I don't think it's a good idea because _______

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Meh, I don't care that much...

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

The Frostburner

Skeletron
I don't know if it is the dev's choice, but the fact that Journey is a Character difficulty makes it so that you cannot play a Journey character (with duplication, weather control etc.) that, when it dies, dies for good (like Hardcore characters), or loses all their items (like Mediumcore characters).

I see two solutions to this :
- Once the player has chosen the Journey difficulty upon character creation, they get to choose a secondary difficulty (Softcore/Classic, Mediumcore or Hardcore), that will affect the way the character dies. (Of course Journey would still be the main difficulty for this character so it would not be able to play on non-journey worlds)
- Or a difficulty slider in the Power menu, similar to the one that changes World difficulty, but for Character difficulty.
I actually prefer the latter because then you would be able to manage your difficulty (e.g.: I want "dumb" deaths to be punitive, so when caving I would set my difficulty to mediumcore but for Boss battles, I would set it to softcore/classic because dying in battle is a "noble" death. Or vice-versa : "No dying before an enemy!")

Well that's all, just thought it would be cool to have even more customization on our Terraria experience. (Isn't that what Journey mode's for?)

Edit: Forgot they changed "
Softcore" to "Classic".

Last edited:
I don't know if it is the dev's choice, but the fact that Journey is a Character difficulty makes it so that you cannot play a Journey character (with duplication, weather control etc.) that, when it dies, dies for good (like Hardcore characters), or loses all their items (like Mediumcore characters).

- Once the player has chosen the Journey difficulty upon character creation, they get to choose a secondary difficulty (Softcore, Mediumcore or Hardcore), that will affect the way the character dies. (Of course Journey would still be the main difficulty for this character so it would not be able to play on non-journey worlds)
- Or a difficulty slider in the Power menu, similar to the one that changes World difficulty, but for Character difficulty.
I actually prefer the latter because then you would be able to manage your difficulty (e.g.: I want "dumb" deaths to be punitive, so when caving I would set my difficulty to mediumcore but for Boss battles, I would set it to softcore because dying in battle is a "noble" death, or vice-versa : "No dying before an enemy!")

Well that's all, just thought it would be cool to have even more customization on our Terraria experience. (Isn't that what Journey mode's for?)
Well kind of with the hardcore, uhhh imagine dieng, and it was your best character with most of the items discovered, that’s mainly why.

- Once the player has chosen the Journey difficulty upon character creation, they get to choose a secondary difficulty (Softcore/Classic, Mediumcore or Hardcore), that will affect the way the character dies. (Of course Journey would still be the main difficulty for this character so it would not be able to play on non-journey worlds)
I actually prefer the latter because then you would be able to manage your difficulty (e.g.: I want "dumb" deaths to be punitive, so when caving I would set my difficulty to mediumcore but for Boss battles, I would set it to softcore/classic because dying in battle is a "noble" death. Or vice-versa : "No dying before an enemy!")

Edit: Forgot they changed "
Softcore" to "Classic".

I don't think this is good idea because Journey mode is essentialy novice mode, when new players, who don't know, what to wait from the game, could ease up some moments they cannot/don't know how to deal with. Entire mode isn't supposed to be punishing, but rewarding.

Journey mode is essentialy novice mode

As a veteran player with hundreds of hours, I couldn't disagree more. It's veteran mode for people who want to enjoy the good parts of the game, such as exploring and building, but can't be bothered to spend endless hours mining and mob farming anymore. It's basically no-grind mode, and I love it for that reason.

As for OP's suggestion, I don't think mediumcore makes sense in Journey since you can just duplicate everything you dropped anyway. Hardcore Journey, on the other hand, definitely should be an option for people who want it (which should also disable the god mode button and limit the enemy spawn slider to 1x at the lowest setting).

Last edited:
About that first option you suggested:do that,but for hardcore characters,reset them.similar punishment.
But then what would be the difference with Hardcore?

I don't think this is good idea because Journey mode is essentialy novice mode, when new players, who don't know, what to wait from the game, could ease up some moments they cannot/don't know how to deal with.
Journey mode can actually be some kind of novice mode, but not exclusively, as @Sordid said. (the World difficulty bar, for example, or the Spawn rate multiplier can turn the game into a tough experience), so I would think of it like some kind of... adaptative, or customizable mode.

I don't think mediumcore makes sense in Journey since you can just duplicate everything you dropped anyway.
Actually, it makes sense principally early-game, before the Goblin Tinkerer arrives, as research will delete said item, and duplication will not retain any modifiers, so you basically have that weapon/tool infinitely, but without modifiers. To retain that good modifier, you won't want to research&dupe that item, and thus keep it in your inventory.

(which should also disable the god mode button and limit the enemy spawn slider to 1x at the lowest setting)
I disagree with that since, as I said, Journey mode is meant to be fully customizable (that's partially why I'm suggesting this), so I think it shouldn't lock anything.

Last edited:
As a veteran player with hundreds of hours

Journey mode can actually be some kind of novice mode, but not exclusively, as @Sordid said. (the World difficulty bar, for example, or the Spawn rate multiplier can turn the game into a tough experience), so I would think of it like some kind of... adaptative, or customizable mode.

As also a veteran player with hundreds of hours (500+ at least on steam, played since there was no wall of flesh) i clearly see Journey mode as testing playground for novices, where they can check, if they could go for more since beginning, would better stick for normal difficulty or just go creative, as in minecraft. Anytime you give player ways to "adjust" gameplay, it either lowering difficulty (which is essential for novice) or changing something in a way it would never be implemented in the main game. Considering journey characters and journey worlds are fully separated from main game - this IS novice regime, somekind of playground, maybe some testing site.

I don't think this is good idea because Journey mode is essentialy novice mode, when new players, who don't know, what to wait from the game, could ease up some moments they cannot/don't know how to deal with. Entire mode isn't supposed to be punishing, but rewarding.
Setting hardcore is optional though, the new players can just not select hardcore journey

But then what would be the difference with Hardcore?
Duplication and research

Actually, it makes sense principally early-game, before the Goblin Tinkerer arrives, as research will delete said item, and duplication will not retain any modifiers, so you basically have that weapon/tool infinitely, but without modifiers. To retain that good modifier, you won't want to research&dupe that item, and thus keep it in your inventory.
You can duplicate coins, and thus have infinite modifiers. This does mean it takes some time to get modifiers back, but not long.

I disagree with that since, as I said, Journey mode is meant to be fully customizable (that's partially why I'm suggesting this), so I think it shouldn't lock anything.
It would be fully customizable, just not on the Hardcore setting. Hardcore Journey would be meant to be a similar challenge to Hardcore, just with a different playstyle.

Duplication and ndsearch
No, I think you misunderstood... I was asking what was the difference between hardcore's death system and the one @DrTrap described.

You can duplicate coins, and thus have infinite modifiers. This does mean it takes some time to get modifiers back, but not long.
Yes, but this is only doable once you get the Goblin...
Anyway, mediumcore's utility is not the subject of this thread.

It would be fully customizable, just not on the Hardcore setting. Hardcore Journey would be meant to be a similar challenge to Hardcore, just with a different playstyle.
I think everything should be customizable, and each player decides which features they'll use and which they won't

Anytime you give player ways to "adjust" gameplay, it either lowering difficulty (which is essential for novice) or changing something in a way it would never be implemented in the main game.
Yes, that's what the word "adjustment" means. It doesn't only have to make things easier either; go and crank up the difficulty and spawn rate sliders all the way up, then come back and tell us what a wonderfully easy time you had. More to the point, changing things "in a way that would never be implemented in the 'main' game" is not necessarily a bad thing. Having infinite building materials that I can conjure up out of thin air is fantastic, because inventory management in this game sucks, and gathering, transporting, and storing building mats is a giant pain in the butt and the main reason why prior to 1.4 I never built anything more elaborate than a basic wooden box prison for my NPCs.

Considering journey characters and journey worlds are fully separated from main game - this IS novice regime, somekind of playground, maybe some testing site.
That does not follow. I could just as easily say that, considering the new journey characters and worlds are fully separated from the old gamemode, this IS the main game now, the old modes are obsolete and only kept for legacy purposes. Implementing a novice mode in the (supposedly) last update nine years after the release of the game seems more than a little silly, so I'm going to go with Journey being a veteran mode for players who can't be bothered to grind anymore and just want to have fun.

Eh... I guess? I just immediately researched everything I found in my 1.4 playthrough and I didn't have any trouble, so I don't think it's a major factor. You're not going to find that many accessories with great modifiers that early on.

Not disabling the godmode button would rather defeat the point of hardcore mode.

Last edited:
Storing building mats is a giant pain in the butt and the main reason why prior to 1.4 I never built anything more elaborate than a basic wooden box prison for my NPCs.

Well, there was many players, who did. So it means while you're veteran player, you're still novice.

That does not follow. I could just as easily say that, considering the new journey characters and worlds are fully separated from the old gamemode, this IS the main game now, the old modes are obsolete and only kept for legacy purposes. Implementing a novice mode in the (supposedly) last update nine years after the release of the game seems more than a little silly, so I'm going to go with Journey being a veteran mode for players who can't be bothered to grind anymore and just want to have fun.

Which only prove my words, that you're novice who sees some game moments as too difficult for him. In case you'd be veteran you'd have 0 problem with collecting materials now. Even in case you were bored THAT much of collecting materials you could always take your post-Moonlord MCU, which you clearly have on your other character, and easily collect as much of any diggable material as you want. And crafting stuff in Terraria clearly isn't grind.

Implementing a novice game mode is more or less popular in last 5-7 years, many games had created or revamped content for new players, Warframe is an example. Creators of game wants new auditory, and while Terraria WAS really new experience 9 years ago, now there are tons of it's clones, and game is pretty old now, so for getting new auditory and not dropping game because "i'm still collecting platinum, while my friend, who started playing years ago, kills all this awesome hardmode bosses and don't want to play with new character with no equipment" this novice Journey mode was implemented. Essentialy Journey is a mode with built in cheat codes.

Well, there was many players, who did. So it means while you're veteran player, you're still novice.
That's contradictory and nonsensical. Being tired of some aspect of a game doesn't make me a novice, quite the contrary.

Which only prove my words, that you're novice who sees some game moments as too difficult for him.
You seem to have trouble differentiating between "tedious" and "difficult". I never said any of the things I don't enjoy were difficult. I suggest you respond to what I'm actually saying rather than to cartoonish caricatures of it that you made up specifically for the purpose of being easy to argue against.

Implementing a novice game mode is more or less popular in last 5-7 years, many games had created or revamped content for new players, Warframe is an example.
That's a very strange example to choose. I have thousands of hours in WF over the better part of a decade and I can tell you there is no novice mode of any kind. The devs even outright said on camera that they're "chasing the veteran player". Oh sure, they've been promising a rework of the early game for years, but absolutely nothing in that regard has materialized so far.

Journey is a mode with built in cheat codes.
Yes, but that doesn't make it only a novice mode. Like I said over and over, it's perfect for veterans like me who can't be bothered anymore with the tedious grind the game is padded with and just want to enjoy the good parts (which is to say exploration, building, and fighting bosses).

Well. Devs say this mode you can do whatever you want. so
]
EX; you start off with more itens you choose to use or NOT.

its the same for Hardcore and Medium core players.

IF you want to play a medium core char, when you die, just don't use the equips/items you have in your inventory UNTIL you mine the grave *If you die again trying to get/reach the first grave, you have 2 graves to collect before being able to use your equips again. *It's your choice* You can set the rules you want*

If you want to play a hardcore char, when you die, delete your character... or make some *hard punishment* for being killed.
EX: *If my char died, I won't play terraria for the rest of the day*
or * If my char died, I won't play with that char for today/ or keep adding minutes every time you die like 10 minutes per death*
or *If my char died, I have to use other character to save him (mining his grave )
etc etc

Hardcore character are deleted from the game and go directly to the trash bin in your computer you can take the file and put it back... I mean. It's a broken system anyways.

YOUR WORLD YOUR RULES.

Use your imagination. be creative... There's no need to implement a hardcore/medium core chars in journey.

That's a very strange example to choose. I have thousands of hours in WF over the better part of a decade and I can tell you there is no novice mode of any kind. The devs even outright said on camera that they're "chasing the veteran player". Oh sure, they've been promising a rework of the early game for years, but absolutely nothing in that regard has materialized so far.

Liar. They had implemented early game mod sets, they had implemented inbetween planet Junctions with free rewards, they had implemented early "challenges" for accessing said junctions and getting knowledge of different aspects of the game, they even had reworked tutorial at some moment of warframe, they made special easy to get sentinel for players, who's near start of the game, they've done really many things to ease new players gameplay.

Yes, but that doesn't make it only a novice mode. Like I said over and over, it's perfect for veterans like me who can't be bothered anymore with the tedious grind the game is padded with and just want to enjoy the good parts (which is to say exploration, building, and fighting bosses).

That makes is MOSTLY novice mode with optional cheat codes and some testing features.

And sorry, you're no veteran, you're just someone, who had played Terraria once or twice. And, maybe, dropped it cause "too much grind".

First of all lets keep this thread about the discussion at hand please. Let's not start discussing Warframe.

Secondly do mind to be respectful and accepting to users regardless of their chosen play preferences and besides, it's awfully rude to argue on someone elses thread. Let's not try to degrade each other?

My personal thoughts on this is honestly just start a new character if you happen to die. Journey mode exists in order for players to have control over creative and choice of difficulty. You can ramp up the difficulty to Master x10 spawns if you so wish and restrict yourself to not using the duping tools. I think adding somelike such as Hardcore - which isn't neccessarily something that can be turned on and off, would go against the intended nature of the mode.

My personal thoughts on this is honestly just start a new character if you happen to die. Journey mode exists in order for players to have control over creative and choice of difficulty. You can ramp up the difficulty to Master x10 spawns if you so wish and restrict yourself to not using the duping tools. I think adding somelike such as Hardcore - which isn't neccessarily something that can be turned on and off, would go against the intended nature of the mode.
I don't think it would go against it necessarily, it would simply help people stick to the playstyle they want. There's actual scientific research that proves that humans don't have unlimited amounts of willpower, it gets tired like a muscle. That's why the best way to lose weight is to avoid buying sweets in the first place - it's much easier to resist temptation once in the store than every time you open the fridge. So I do kinda wish it were possible to choose which Journey features you want at the beginning and then be locked into that choice. The temptation to just hit that god mode button or lower the difficulty slider gets very very strong when you get rekt a few times by a boss, and you just end up disappointed with yourself afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom