Game Mechanics Journey Mode Quality of Life suggestions for 1.4.1

ClearAir

Official Terrarian
I have been having a blast in Journey Mode. I haven't played any other mode on PC yet (Because 15 FPS would remove my ability to stand a chance). I know 1.4.1 doesn't come out for awhile, but I have a few Quality of Life things the devs could put in Journey Mode:
  • A keybind that lets you buy the required amount of items to research from NPCs (Similar to CRTL+Click and SHIFT+click. Stops the player from buying too many of an item to research)
  • The ability to spawn enemies or bosses that have been discovered through either the Bestiary, or a new Creative Power to allow for it (Obviously refined so there's a limit, preventing lag)
  • A night vision type of toggle that allows every block to be lit, allowing for easier exploration
  • A toggle setting to clear the Duplication Menu search bar after closing the inventory (Please)
  • A favorites tab in the Duplication Menu (ALT+Click an item in the dupe menu. Any favorited items appear there)
  • Filters in the Duplication Menu (Similar to the Bestiary. You could toggle Accessories, and then Movement Accessories, etc.)
I feel like those would help quite a bit. Obviously they would have to refine features for performance and they wouldn't be exactly what I described, but I think those features would add to a player's creative abilities. You could more easily test out arenas, you could find stuff easier in the dupe menu, etc. Once again, these are just suggestions based on my experience with the game, and what I think would improve it.

very much love the idea for favorites in the duplication menu, also the duplication menu really could use more tabs, the 'blocks' tab currently contains stuff I would not think ever to be a block.

ideas off the top of my head for tabs: furniture, walls, engineering (wire, sensors, levers, teleporters, actuators, all the good stuff essentially :) ), paints, banners

Most of these seem nice but for the first one I'd point out that you can just dupe money and trash the excess after.

What I'd really like is a hotkey to research so I don't have to move the cursor down and click the button every time when researching a bunch of stuff.

Oh, and ability to research and toggle buffs on ourselves so we don't have to chug potions if we don't want.

Generally agreed. Especially on the light issue. I would turn on permanent screen-wide 25% light since I've been mapping out the entire world with a Clentaminator anyway. Just definitely want to make the level of light a slider so I can tell the difference between where I've actually been and places I've just been near enough to.

A huge QOL improvement I want for Journey Mode is fixing the goddamn searchbar. Once you click *anywhere* away from the bar, it should deactivate. That's how literally any other text bar on a computer works, so why not this one?? It drives me up a flipping wall.

Also, a few more.
  • An ablility to fully discover the map in one click.
  • Godmode should increase number of minions and sentries beyond normal range (20-30?)
  • Power menu should always be available on the side of the screen when you aren't in the inventory. Maybe not the duplication, but the time and weather controls definitely . Oops, turns out theres already a hotkey (default C)
  • If you've already duplicated money, it shouldn't be required to be in your inventory for you to buy something from an npc
A huge QOL improvement I want for Journey Mode is fixing the goddamn searchbar. Once you click *anywhere* away from the bar, it should deactivate. That's how literally any other text bar on a computer works, so why not this one?? It drives me up a flipping wall.
Yes. its so annoying to have to click the little search icon to deactivate it

Last edited:
Power menu should always be available on the side of the screen when you aren't in the inventory. Maybe not the duplication, but the time and weather controls definitely
Personally I'd rather not have the clutter. What's your use case for this? You know there's a hotkey to bring up the powers menu directly, right?

There is?
Yeah, it's C by default.

• A keybind that lets you buy the required amount of items to research from NPCs (Similar to CRTL+Click and SHIFT+click. Stops the player from buying too many of an item to research)
  • The ability to spawn enemies or bosses that have been discovered through either the Bestiary, or a new Creative Power to allow for it (Obviously refined so there's a limit, preventing lag)
  • A night vision type of toggle that allows every block to be lit, allowing for easier exploration
  • A toggle setting to clear the Duplication Menu search bar after closing the inventory (Please)
  • A favorites tab in the Duplication Menu (ALT+Click an item in the dupe menu. Any favorited items appear there)
  • Filters in the Duplication Menu (Similar to the Bestiary. You could toggle Accessories, and then Movement Accessories, etc.)

Love the ideas! What I'd like to see as well would be some way to indicate whether an item has been researched or not already in crafting menus. The pink text alone would be enough already. I've found myself wondering if I'd researched one thing yet while looking at it in the crafting menu with no way to find out but to craft it, which feels like a hassle to me.
And tbh, the duplication menu could do with some rearrangements. E.g. ores being interspersed with bricks and other blocks and kept away from bars seems weird to me.

Yeah, it's C by default.

Love the ideas! What I'd like to see as well would be some way to indicate whether an item has been researched or not already in crafting menus. The pink text alone would be enough already. I've found myself wondering if I'd researched one thing yet while looking at it in the crafting menu with no way to find out but to craft it, which feels like a hassle to me.
And tbh, the duplication menu could do with some rearrangements. E.g. ores being interspersed with bricks and other blocks and kept away from bars seems weird to me.
why would bars which are effectively furniture be near ores which are blocks? ironically that is probably one of the few things that makes sense to me right now.... I would argue for the placeable tab on the menu to be split into furniture and blocks sections at the very least perhaps even a way to search for full furniture sets since some of them don't hare keywords particularly skyware.

I would also argue the Magic and Demon Conch items should be found in the same tab as the magic mirror and its tinkers since they all are items which teleport the player somewhere when used.
making the crafting text for items turn pink sounds viable currently I look everything up to see what I have or haven't made yet but I know that isn't optimal as the big menu is time consuming to manage especially as more and more items are unlocked.... A favorite menu where you can drag selected unlocks to would be amazing as well.

Back
Top Bottom