Game Mechanics Journey Mode Quality of Life

Legowaffles

Terrarian
As a hoarder, not being able to use the Magic Storage mod for awhile makes me miserable. . .

Then along comes Journey Mode, the solution to my hoarding woes! However it does have some flaws that I feel could be improved:

1. You cannot tell whether or not an item you wish to craft has been researched at all.
  2. The Duplication menu doesn't have a counter stating how many items remain to be researched.
  3. The sliders for: Wind Control, Rain Control, and Enemy Spawn Rate would benefit from a text box allowing easier selection of a specific value.
For point 1, I would like to suggest that when crafting, mousing over an item you wish to craft will display the amount of research remaining for said item.

For point 2, I would suggest a simple display of X/Y, where X is the number of researched items based on filters selected, and Y is the total number of researchable items based on filters selected. Items that would generally not be available in the world (for example, ebonstone in a crimson world), should not be in this counter unless you researched some of that item in the world already (likely by bringing it from another world). This should perhaps be a toggleable feature, as there may be people who would not care in the slightest, and whose enjoyment may in fact be hindered by such a counter. Personally, my own enjoyment is hindered by a lack of said counter. My OCD straight up demands a way to know that I have researched absolutely everything there is to research.

Point 3 is self explanatory, but my own reasoning was after jacking the spawn rate up it was somewhat difficult to return the spawn rate to 1x.

(...)
  1. You cannot tell whether or not an item you wish to craft has been researched at all.
  2. The Duplication menu doesn't have a counter stating how many items remain to be researched.
(...)

These two would be a HUGE QOL improvement, I find myself crafting the same itens over and over just to make sure that I've already researched them.

These two would be a HUGE QOL improvement, I find myself crafting the same itens over and over just to make sure that I've already researched them.
I had that very same issue.

It just occurred to me that a way to view items we've only partially researched would be great too.

I would suggest a simple display of X/Y, where X is the number of researched items based on filters selected, and Y is the total number of researchable items based on filters selected. Items that would generally not be available in the world (for example, ebonstone in a crimson world), should not be in this counter unless you researched some of that item in the world already (likely by bringing it from another world).
Its charachter dependent,meaning that you can't really do that without a huge hassle,and having to check if the map is corrupt or crimson.
Also,wanting to create a Crimson themed house in a corrupt map may be impossible with your initial suggestion.

Its charachter dependent,meaning that you can't really do that without a huge hassle,and having to check if the map is corrupt or crimson.
Also,wanting to create a Crimson themed house in a corrupt map may be impossible with your initial suggestion.
It's character dependant, meaning they already have all the data, I doubt it would be that difficult, as it's all a part of loading the character. As for checking if the map is corrupt or crimson, that clearly already happens based on vendor stock varying based on whether or not it's a crimson or corrupt world.

As for the second point. . . In what way does this prevent you from being able to bring things from another world? Furthermore, I just discovered things you researched in one world and not the other, are possible to duplicate in the other. As such, you wouldn't even need to vary the total counts based on crimson or corrupt worlds.

It's actually completely fine that it's character-dependent, as all the item data is stored in the plr file (as far as I know). One solution to your second point might be having the game check for blocks non-native to the world in the player's inventory, and thus increasing the Y in X/Y by however many exclusive items the player is holding.

Back
Top Bottom