Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUG.png

A bug I found, when you attack with the horseman's blade the homing pumkin is targeting critters.

PS: I have the guide to critter companionship so it doesn't kill the squirell.

EDIT: And it even targets NPCs and it looks like it targets them near the end of the projectile's lifespan.

Last edited:
View attachment 384861

A bug I found, when you attack with the horseman's blade the homing pumkin is targeting critters.

PS: I have the guide to critter companionship so it doesn't kill the squirell.

EDIT: And it even targets NPCs and it looks like it targets them near the end of the projectile's lifespan.
Please report bugs here: Journey's End Bug Reports
This thread is for balance discussion, not bug reporting. Thanks!

I feel like the OOA sentry accessories are a bit all over the place, you can get two from the dark mage, but functionally they are both the same and also the same as the ones you get from ogre, you can't even stack them. I don't know how I would change them other than like 5%~ish damage for their respective class and re-tiering them again because now it feels redundant to get two from the dark mage pre-hardmode that are the exact same as the two from ogre in hardmode.

First thanks for scaling medium world content to the world size! They are finally nice to play.
However one parameter was missed out the scaling. Not so important for medium world but critical for small worlds.

I.)
The true spawn height of Harpy & Wyvern does not scale correctly with the world height (related to the player position).

According to source they can spawn if the Wyvern spawn position is < 0.45 * worldSurface.
Min/Max values of worldSurface scale with world height.
However the actual true spawn height is related to the player position with the spawn region around him.
That means the player can be located half of the spawn region height deeper (-46).
So the true spawn height (related to the player is):
< 0.45 * worldSurface + 46
Afaik for small worlds worldSurface is in between 229 and 337.
With 229 we get < 149.
149/229 is a proportion of 0.65 which is much bigger than the target 0.45 rating. (For larger worlds/worldSurface it gets closer to the 0.45 rate)

Normal terrain can also generate round about the same height. That means we can get wyvern spawn just by standing at the ground:
1664555300481.png

possible fix:
randomly picked spawn tile has a y variable < worldSurface * 0.45 - spawnRangeY
This would result in a constant true spawn height ratio among all world sizes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
II.]
I think the Temple in new Zenith seed is too dark for 'Color' Lightening (all other are much brighter)
1664556142357.png
Night Owl + Shiny Potion + Ligth Pet + Torches + Magiluminescence + Nigthglow + well fed
and still see almost nothing
While traversing I literally moved forward until hitting the next wall.

I'm open to discussion of Froggle Bunwich and even Sauteed Frog Leg's duration discussion, but I'm not going to set it back to Tier 3. That would just be making the same mistake all over again.
Sounds fair.
Sauteed Frog Legs' duration is actually all right.
For the Froggle Bunwich, 6 minutes would have made more sense in the frog surplus we had before, but since that has been corrected I think reversing it to 8 minutes is reasonable.

too dark for 'Color' Lightening
I think it's the Jungle torch's color, it doesn't play well with the background. I suggest using a "bluer" torch, such as white, blue, bone, ultrabright, etc.

The distance at which we can Quick Stack to Nearby Chests was increased in v1.4.4, but this doesn't seem to affect the Money Trough and probably other Personal Storage items.

Anyone else dislike the grind for rod of discord? I don't know if it got changed, but make it less rare. And if needed to balance that out, increase chaos state debuff.

Erinit, the vast majority of your discussion topics have been unrelated to the changes made in the update itself. If you could focus on feedback on the balance changes in 1.4.4, I'd appreciate it. :)

Sorry about that. I haven't really been able to see what changes were made in the new update, I have just been giving ideas.

I know that Cenx overruled you on this, but after a bit of testing, I've come to the conclusion that the Pillion nerf probably wasn't sufficient. It still flies faster than Solar Wings. You can test this to see for yourself.

Edit: I was putting too much faith in the Stopwatch. I still think that the current speed is excessive, though. It still outperforms most wings even though it's an item that can be acquired close to the start of Hardmode. Perhaps reduce its speed by another 10%?

Last edited:
As far as I know, there is no option to turn off the quick stack animation. I think it would be a good toggle to have, because on some computers it can cause a lot of lag.

I know that Cenx overruled you on this, but after a bit of testing, I've come to the conclusion that the Pillion nerf probably wasn't sufficient. It still flies faster than Solar Wings. You can test this to see for yourself.

Edit: I was putting too much faith in the Stopwatch. I still think that the current speed is excessive, though. It still outperforms most wings even though it's an item that can be acquired close to the start of Hardmode. Perhaps reduce its speed by another 10%?
Let's not nerf mobility more than it has been this update.

I'll just add some numbers to put this into perspective:-
Pillion horizontal speed on ground: 29mph
Pillion horizontal speed in air: 39mph
Solar wing horizontal speed: 46mph
Steampunk wing horizontal speed: 38mph
Frozen wing horizontal speed: 34mph

All of these wings also have over twice the flight time as pillion, but obviously lack the jump as well as the lack of accessory slot investment. Make of all that what you will.

The starfury is extremely OP.It can be used from beginning to WoF,and it has the highest DPS before skeleton compared with other classes.I think it should be nerfed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom