Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scarab Bombs are super useful, but they can't be purchased. And the cost to make them is something that is in very limited supply: Sturdy Fossil. A world only has so much Fossil after all.

Perhaps they could be purchased in Hardmode? Or maybe you can craft 10-20 Bombs into Scarabs for every Fossil used.

Last edited:
in my opinion the luck system is not only the worst change to the game ever, but the only terrible one. i'm content with potions that increase item drop rates but the rest of the system hinders my ability to enjoy the game to the fullest. as a big fan and long-time player of terraria, i hate to see this blemish on the otherwise remarkable game and i really hope it gets reverted or reworked.

in my opinion the luck system is not only the worst change to the game ever, but the only terrible one. i'm content with potions that increase item drop rates but the rest of the system hinders my ability to enjoy the game to the fullest. as a big fan and long-time player of terraria, i hate to see this blemish on the otherwise remarkable game and i really hope it gets reverted or reworked.
Eh, I'd say removing bad torch luck fixed its biggest issue. Now, the only major fix I'd like to see is being able to see your current luck stat.

So I just recently found out that (If the wiki is correct that is) that golden lady bugs provide twice the luck bonus than regular ones. This doesn't quite sit well with me as I feel like keeping some lady bugs in your inventory, regularly releasing one, having to physically touch it, and then catching it with a bug net to be arbitrary and weird enough as it is.
You don't get luck bonuses from inventory-released ladybugs, only naturally spawned ones.

You don't get luck bonuses from inventory-released ladybugs, only naturally spawned ones.
Yeah I saw that detail on the wiki was changed. I guess they're still figuring it out, but I really hope that this is the actual case. I know that it's dumb but I think that this is pretty much the only thing about 1.4 that bothered me. Sorry, I'll uh, shut up about it now.

This is probably too much, but I just want to say I find the new summoner mechanics, how damage isn't determined on spawn, a lot less enjoyable. Especially late game when you finally start getting a lot of accessories. Even with the extra slot from Master mode, you can't get the same level of damage as you could before without sacrificing all your mobility, which is obviously not worth it. Where before you could just use your high damage loadout for the initial summons, then swap the pure damage boosters for wings and boots, or whatever else you want. Now that you can't do that you always have to choose something to give up. You can't reach maximum potential now. And that's without considering the swapping accessories from menacing to warding trick, which also no longer works. Summoner feels a lot weaker endgame because of this, and I don't think the whips quite make up for it.

Eh, I'd say removing bad torch luck fixed its biggest issue. Now, the only major fix I'd like to see is being able to see your current luck stat.

You can sort of see it if you have the wizard NPC. He will occasionally say things that correspond to you luck levels. Like if it is at the highest, he will say "You are overflowing with a blessing of stupendous prosperity!"

The wiki shows you all the luck based conversations with the wizard on the luck page.

Scarab Bombs are super useful, but they can't be purchased. And the cost to make them is something that is in very limited supply: Sturdy Fossil. A world only has so much Fossil after all.

Perhaps they could be purchased in Hardmode? Or maybe you can craft 10-20 Bombs into Scarabs for every Fossil used.
Basilisks can drop sturdy fossils

Here's another thing that I thought of and it's vaguely related to the meteorite issue. This thing.
Super_Star_Shooter.png
I was a little disappointed to find that the Super Star Shooter wasn't upgraded from the Star Cannon in the same way that the Phasesaber is from the Phaseblade or crafted fresh from meteorite bars and a hardmode material like the Meteor Staff is. I never saw one of these in my entire 1.4 play through. I think it should be craftable instead of bought from the Traveling Merchant.
And speaking of Phasesaber and Meteor Staff maybe that's part of the solution to the meteorite balance problem. Give us some early to mid hardmode upgrades of meteorite equipment so that meteorite won't feel "useless" as it sort of does now.
You could also take a page from the meteorite expansion suggestion by SzGamer227 and expand the meteorite biome a bit. Even if it really doesn't fit into the progression anymore then it could be made a little more interesting.

Basilisks can drop sturdy fossils
They can but very rarely.

Last edited:
This is probably too much, but I just want to say I find the new summoner mechanics, how damage isn't determined on spawn, a lot less enjoyable. Especially late game when you finally start getting a lot of accessories. Even with the extra slot from Master mode, you can't get the same level of damage as you could before without sacrificing all your mobility, which is obviously not worth it. Where before you could just use your high damage loadout for the initial summons, then swap the pure damage boosters for wings and boots, or whatever else you want. Now that you can't do that you always have to choose something to give up. You can't reach maximum potential now. And that's without considering the swapping accessories from menacing to warding trick, which also no longer works. Summoner feels a lot weaker endgame because of this, and I don't think the whips quite make up for it.
Actually, I found that holding on 2 sets of accessories as a cost of maximize damage while also maximize survival is weird. The current mechanic that you sacrifice one for another make more sense. The problem is, summoner weapons and armors seem to already account for 2 set accessories trick when they were designed, so their damage and defense are not absurd. But now when that 2 set accessories is not possible anymore, summoner become weak overall.

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but it feels weird that the Celestial Cuffs don't have the mana boost from the Magic Cuffs. But I have no idea if that would be "too much", because I am completely out of tune with the class-balance in this game.

I have also found it weird how much more fragmented most class-specific upgrade-accessories are compared to melee's Glove of Gloves [edit: I guess it's really only about 50% gloves, but w/e], but apparently people are saying melee is weak? Maybe melee needed that consolidation more than others. Completely restructuring the tinkering tree is definitely out of scope anyways.

[Edit: Also if this game had an item-renaming feature I would totally rename my Terraspark Boots to "The Boot of Boots". :dryadgrin:]

Last edited:
I have also found it weird how much more fragmented most class-specific upgrade-accessories are compared to melee's Glove of Gloves [edit: I guess it's really only about 50% gloves, but w/e], but apparently people are saying melee is weak? Maybe melee needed that consolidation more than others. Completely restructuring the tinkering tree is definitely out of scope anyways.

[Edit: Also if this game had an item-renaming feature I would totally rename my Terraspark Boots to "The Boot of Boots". :dryadgrin:]

People have mostly been complaining about Zenith making melee overpowered and summoners being underpowered (neither of which I really agree with). But they made a 'quiver of quivers' thing now where there are 3 version of the magic quiver that stack with each other.

As there are custom seeds can we have a skyblock seed because we have gemcorns and a re-balanced crate system.
The only problem is that there is no way to renew dirt, perhaps the merchant could sell extra.

Soaring Insignia is way too powerful now, it basically make frog legs, ballons, shoes, proper arena setup and hooks nearly useless, lowering the difficulty of expert mode post-plantera below normal difficulty for some player like what shield of cthulu does, but in a fasion that drops the skill ceiling instead of increasing it.
Making Soaring Insignia the daytime drop of EoL, nerf terraprisma and make it the expert drop of EoL, or make empress wings the expert drop of EoL would fix this problem, and further increase the difficulty of daytime EoL fight by make this ridiculous unaccessible for the players before fighting her in daytime.
Make the infinite flight a limited flight for a long time that allows players to hover and ascend freely while still require the players to land and walk on the ground or reset flight time with a hook will make it impossible to exploit the infinite flight in the said way. I think it would be fine to make Soaring Insignia grant the flight time for about 2 to 3 times of the endgame wings.
Or replace the infinite flight with something not so overpowered would be nice. Hover and boost are some great ability that not every wing have, and let Soaring Insignia grant every wings hover and boost will make wings that don't have this cool ability coller, and let more players to actually use these cool abilities against late game bosses with any wing they like to use, which is not used much now.

Soaring Insignia is way too powerful now
Well, first of all, as you mentioned, you get it only after Plantera. And i would argue it's not really a game changer for post-plantera game, considering that you can get Cosmic Car Key and new Witch's Broom mounts, both of which even more easily allow you to swap shoes, wings and Insignia itself for extra damage/defence. On contrary, Insignia means that at least two of accessories slots will be occupied by movement accessories, potentially giving you higher vertical or horizontal speed but lower stats. Insignia becomes OP only after Moon Lord on Expert, but that's because Celestial Starboard itself is OP.

Oh, another thing: it appears the Neptune's/Celestial Shell items make wings disappear when when active (underwater), even when set to be cosmetically invisible. The diving gear doesn't do this, so I'm assuming it's a leftover effect of the otherwise-invisible merman transformation, not an effect of the swimming feature. I'm wondering if this could be ... changed. I prefer wings (or any other cosmetic feature) not arbitrarily vanishing when underwater.

I also prefer wings not vanishing when piloting a flying saucer, but that one seems to already have been changed in 1.4, which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom