Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll mention later that I have some thoughts about a new mechanic we have that could be used to make the Bees a little better without "buffing" them per say. Not going to elaborate on it now, it'll take a lot of experimentation to see if its viable.

Yeah, I've had some off-beat ideas for this myself, like . . . ditch the reactive-bees, maybe make it spawn a bee when jumping, IDK. Would be something worth exploring, I think a buff to it is an easy sell.

Sometimes a jump is just a jump. Its defining feature is how easy it is to get through fishing. Doesn't necessarily need to have unique quirks . . . it really doesn't need a buff.

I think it would be fun to do an Alt-Trio and then ultimately a "Cloud of Balloons", bring it full circle. Something I've pushed for internally, but did not get approval on.

This is not one I currently have the power to change. I would like to, but it is a no-go for now.

I think, as you say, defense piercing on accessories pales rather significantly in contrast to % based damage. Maybe its just an accessory that simply works best pre-HM, and isn't meant to scale up. I would say that part of the problem is that mid-to-late game defense is VERY inconsistently balanced, with enemies in the same zone often fluctuating dramatically in defense value. It makes defense-mitigating effects a bit of a wildcard, and while Ichor exists, its a situation I'm trying to avoid repeating on the whole.

That would be a relatively tall order in terms of buffing general Defense stat accessibility. And while I recognize the limitations of the Defense stat, I'd be hesitant to toss that much onto one (and inevitably both) of these, due to the repercussions that could come from, say, a Mage deciding to double down on shields that add +38 Defense.

As you say, not much to say here. But its also not something I'll have an easy time getting approved. I'm interested in interesting solutions to this problem, ones that I'll have success getting approved.

As you say, its a situational item in a game that doesn't have tremendous amounts of underwater exploration, and the frequency with which you spend running on ice is limited. And yet, that is their role. They are situational items with a limited niche, much like Lava Waders are/were. You say Ice Skates feels shoe-horned in, but taking a pure utility item and combining it with one of the strongest accessories in the game feels much the same. I don't think there is too much that can be done here, aside from general buffs to its intended functionality.

I'd be interested in experimenting with a brightness buff here. I'm not sure a Shine Potion effect would fly though, mostly because we added an item that does much the same already. I'd say "ooh, new tinker idea", but new tinkers aren't likely in this discussion.

You know, I can't speak to increasing the damage dramatically, but there is something I might be able to do with this accessory, a new feature we've experimentally utilized in a few of 1.4's balance changes an items. I think there's something to consider here.

Interesting and atypical opinion here. The immunity frames have long been a popular mainstay of many builds, and I wouldn't consider the functionality to be underpowered. Nor would I consider Cobalt Shield to be in need of a buff (and if you were to add the buff to Cobalt Shield, it would be awkward if it was removed later in subsequent tinkers, as you soon point out with Dunrider Boots).

IIRC, the stars have a boosted homing effect and come to the player very easily. They aren't too hard to go get. Either way, Mana accessories are rather swamped with mana restoration stuff, with a variety of options for different playstyles. They don't all need to offer exactly the same benefits.

Duneriders are tricky . . . you may notice that one of the hotfix changes we made was giving it a tinker into Spectre Boots. This is because prior, it had nothing. It was just an end to itself. It was what it was . . . "boots for if you go to the desert, with a perk". We added the tinker so that it wasn't a dead end. You are correct that its an awkward design, but the alternative at the time was either "nothing special at all, just a clone of Hermes" or "no tinker at all, a dead end". The most likely solution, if there is one, that I can see, is an odd-side-grade tinker, much like Lava Waders were all of this time, and then you KNOW the inevitable cry for tinkering into Terraspark Boots will follow, and I think that's going to stop that from coming to fruition in the first place.

The multi-biome suggestion is interesting but I don't think I could swing it in regards to the long term implications as the crafting tree worked up to Terraspark Boots.

May as well consider it a vehicle for free prefixes on an otherwise row of empty slots, to be honest, given when you obtain it. It does no harm for an ultra-early game item, and is valuable for later upgrades.

In tandem with the Aglet suggestion, just blatantly buffing the speed on these together might be hard to justify on my end. Its true: they are basically glorified materials. Once upon a 1.0, Anklet served an independent purpose, but even if it had independent value, wouldn't it just be crafted away instantly anyway? That's just my take.

The ideal scenario IMO, WITHOUT adding new items to the game, would be including it in the Lava Wader tinker and add its benefits to it. It synergizes well (7 seconds immunity, and if you do run out, reduced damage). Which would furthermore be a side-effect buff to Terraspark Boots, which . . . might make it a hard sell, because Terraspark Boots were a concession that I've spent the last 5 years striving to get.

On Fire, to me, is a doomed buff. It doesn't do enough damage to be useful for most of the game, but if it was buffed too much, it would do too much damage early game, because its highly accessible. Fractional damage bonuses don't really work because the scaling would be tremendous. DoT multipliers like the Huntress armor were basically a failed experiment (one I would like to buff, for what its worth).

Burning, as an enemy DoT, is going to be an extremely hard sell, as its basically a freebie +50 DPS per afflicted target for all melee users for the rest of time.

As for the Fire Gauntlets themself: the lost DPS exists for a reason, but it is a reason long since rendered irrelevant by Melee's relative underperformance. I'm going to push for it to at least get that 2% back. As for additional bonuses, I can't promise anything.

Consider it a pair of vanity boots, as a vehicle for the new visual trail it leaves. Easiest explanation I can offer.

If its not doing enough damage, it may be a code issue, I'll look into it. I'm not going to say that 24/30 is "enough", but there is something to be said for iterations. This build was an experiment that increased their damage. Consequently, I was forced to raise the enemy damage (apparently that is non-negotiable) in turn, and for every buff to them I continue to add, enemy variants will have to increase in turn. I've already reduced durations somewhat to account for that, but anything further would be a straight buff to certain enemies. So that is something to be considered.

I'd like to look into increasing it further, but I feel that the 24/30 step is a good middle ground for starters. "Better" is always an improvement, even if its not "Perfect".
Well if it buffs Clingers so be it. Maybe they need a change anyways.

* The Mace's upgrade is a ripoff of Torches. The chance of inflicting On Fire! seems to be small and it doesn't even last long.

Pretty sure the goal is that its really just an early game combination weapon/exploration tool, something flashy and easy to get when people are still running Iron Broadswords or worse. I think it serves that purpose well.

* Night's Edge. Funny, but this was outclassed by Muramasa in 1.3 since that has autoswing. And now Muramasa has been buffed, its rival the Breaker Blade was made way more useful in early Hardmode, and poor Night's Edge got nothing. First of all this needs autoswing desperately, and raising its base damage to 50 like we saw in that Journey Mode teaser sounds reasonable enough; maybe it could let it kill WoF.

Night's Edge is, in my opinion, in one of the single most tricky to balance places in the game. I intend to revisit it. However, I feel somewhat hamstrung.

On one hand, it SHOULD be among the best pre-HM melee weapons, if not the best. However, the more I buff it, the more it infringes on Breaker Blade, which previously barely stood on its own two feet (its new buff offering something of value, though I don't fool myself into thinking Breaker is the new meta). The more I buff it, the more it impacts the ever-underutilized ore swords. I don't want to introduce a scenario where people make NE and then . . . everything in HM is a downgrade. But I also don't think it is strong enough. I've had a lot of discussions with Loki about it, and I hope to come to some sort of conclusion in the end, but I consider the NE/BB/Ore Sword trio to be very tricky to work with.

* Razorblade Typhoon: Today I will trivialize the Pillars and every other enemy-related encounter by just holding M1. I think the easiest nerf to this thing would be to reduce its lifespan to 2 or 2.5 seconds, since with 6 seconds this thing just encourages braindead spamming.

I spent several months mulling over what and how I wanted to approach Razorblade. Its undoubtedly popular and I'm afraid a dramatic buff will both unpopular and also, oddly, a "nerf" to Duke's relevance. But I also don't like how it works in the pillar events. Reducing its lifespan is one of the ideas I considered. The other is to remove one of the projectiles, but buff its damage moderately in compensation, reducing its multi-target potential at the gain of single target potential. I look at Razorblade Typhoon and say "Its not over yet, I'll get you next time", but ultimately was too undecided to make a call within the timeframe I had.

* Thorn Chakram and Flamarang. To be fair all pre-Hardmode boomerangs are bad, but one can make the argument that the Enchanted and Ice Boomerangs are decent enough to use in caves in Pre-EoC. These two have no excuse at all. Possessed Hatchet treatment when

These aren't weapons that came on my review radar, and I haven't spent enough time with them to say. I'd need to spend some quality time getting to know them, to be honest. Get back to my 1.0 roots.

* Obsidian Horseshoe

I don't know if you let it speak for itself on purpose or by accident, but I laughed. I don't think there's much we can do here, honestly. It is what it is, a dead-end legacy item from another time. I could try and throw some paltry token stats on it or something, it wouldn't solve the problem, and I don't think it really has much of a repurpose future.

* Honey Balloon. Well, every single Honey Comb tinker, but this one stands out specifically, because when you make this you are giving up the massive mobility buff granted by a Double Jump Balloon just to return 20 damage(at most) when you get hit. The easiest buff idea I've seen is to make the Honey Comb grant the Honey buff for 30 seconds when you get hit. Even if that's still outclassed by a Honey Bucket, it's a step in the right direction and it also affects all of the Honey Comb's tinkers that barely get anything from it.

I'm naturally very hesitant around healing items. Palladium, Squire Helm, and Valhalla are all notorious and potentially overpowered. At the other end of the spectrum, the Band of Regenerations of the world are weak and fairly negligible. I'd have to think about it. It could definitely use something, I'm just not sure what.

Panic Necklace and Bee Cloak. In Master Mode I get one or two-shotted. Dealing 3 damage + 30 if a star decides to hit, or 25% movement speed for 5 seconds is not worth one of my slots.

I think these too are a legacy item of their time that did not stand the test of time. A raw damage buff could bandaid the problem, but it wouldn't solve it. I've got some ideas that might help it, but they might not truly be salvageable for high end play, not without introducing other problems at the other end.

Cursed Flames ammo: The Ichor ammo has more extraUpdates, a much better debuff and more base damage on the bullet. Cursed ammo has 1 more base damage on the arrow. There seems to be a disparity here.

Ichor is a tricky beast. There is only so far Cursed Flames is going to be able to be buffed before Ichor instead just gets nerfed. And I'm not sure if I want it to get to that point, given the potential backlash. Maybe its what has to happen. I'm going to play it carefully with CF for the time being.

* Onyx Blaster: This thing does not have a single bad matchup, is only slightly weaker than the Megashark and it can be obtained in your third day in Hardmode. One of the biggest nerf targets right now.

Onyx Blaster is on my radar, all I have to say about that.

* Adamantite armor: Outclassed by all 3 of the alternative ore armors since their set bonuses are worth much more than just secondary stats. The set bonus needs to be buffed, and it would be nice to see an actually impactful one for rangers. In my mod it increases ammo damage by 25%, that's not so big that it could be overpowered and it fits the theme of the 1.1 ores focusing on stats.

Standing policy is that the legacy ore armors are not intended to get specialty set bonuses, instead getting statistical ones. As such, I'm currently reviewing them for the possibility of statistical buffs. It'll need a lot of review time though.

* Frost Armor: Just a set of Mythril armor trying to convince you it's worth a bit more. Compared to Adamantite I guess it does have a bit more defense at the cost of DPS for a Ranger, but for Melee there is 0 reason to craft this.

As a non-ranger player, Frost Armor is honestly one of the items I'm the least familiar with. I would need a lot of time evaluating.

* Sleepy Octopod. Yeah, this is gonna need way more than increasing that slam damage. It takes a while to slam, it covers a super small area horizontally, only ever works properly when on the ground and the hitbox while "charging" deals very little damage. This could legit be moved to the Dark Mage in pre-Hardmode, it's that bad that even in Pre-Hardmode it wouldn't be that good.

Agreed. But note also that I am unlikely to be able to mechanically change this item. Its probably going to be stats or nothing.

* Terraspark Boots: I guess it was cool to see a pair of Fire-Ice Boots that I bet no one ever thought about before. If these are just Lightning Boots with 2 situational potion effects on it I don't see why I'd bother looking for it, however.

7 years of asking for Terrasparks, and I found myself no longer really attached. 1 month of using them in beta and I was addicted to the water walking I never knew I cared that much about. At the end of the day, I think we all know that Terrasparks were more of a symbol of an idea, and something to do with dusty Lava Waders, than anything else.

The second Lava Waders upgrade: This is probably on me but I used my first Lava Waders on this instead of Terraspark and even had it equipped against the Wall of Flesh because I didn't realize the fire trail doesn't actually deal damage. I guess turning it into a combat item is a bit too out there, so I'll just ask for the tooltip to be a bit less misleading since nothing tells you the fire is just a cosmetic effect.

I'll take a look at the tooltip. Hellfire Treads were done many months before Terrasparks, so the idea of "why would people choose this?" hadn't come into consideration at the time. Rather than remove the item, it just exists as it is, an (expensive) vanity option. Removing it would be far less popular (see Keymolds)

Last edited:
Could you maybe give Meteor Shots local-immunity like you did with the poison staff? They currently are a complete waste of the meteorite required, especially considering only one major gun past the eater of worlds doesn’t fire quickly enough to get destroyed by the i-frames they create (the sniper rifle). Considering they only bounce OR pierce (similar to pre-rework chlorophyte arrows), I don't think local immunity would have any weird interactions. These things were "soft" nerfed by being moved later in progression, so I feel like they desperately need it as they already weren't exactly "good" before the update hit. I understand if doing this would require a number-nerf on them, but at least they'll be usable.
Sorry if I'm being pushy, but it looks like my post may have gotten buried in the Torch Luck discussion and you didn't seem to notice it. I'm very sorry if this isn't something I'm supposed to do.

Sorry if I'm being pushy, but it looks like my post may have gotten buried in the Torch Luck discussion and you didn't seem to notice it. I'm very sorry if this isn't something I'm supposed to do.

I responded somewhat about localized immunity frames earlier, the general idea is that adding things to local frames is not something done necessarily lightly, and I'd need to convince several people of it. Furthermore, if it was approved, there is the potential I would have to nerf their ammo damage to justify the change balance wise: a lot of the game was built around them having the piercing balance that they did. As can be seen from the changelog, "sometimes you have to nerf an item before you can buff it", and that may end up being the case here.

I don't know if anyone else has said this, but the new Titanium armor set bonus is just too OP. Those shards are insane and you can destroy crowds of enemies just by walking through them and occasionally hitting one with a weapon.

I would either heavily nerf the shards damage, reduce the amount of shards, increase the time it takes for the shards to regenerate, or just make a new set bonus for the Titanium armor.

Wow, you responded fast :D
I responded somewhat about localized immunity frames earlier, the general idea is that adding things to local frames is not something done necessarily lightly, and I'd need to convince several people of it. Furthermore, if it was approved, there is the potential I would have to nerf their ammo damage to justify the change balance wise: a lot of the game was built around them having the piercing balance that they did. As can be seen from the changelog, "sometimes you have to nerf an item before you can buff it", and that may end up being the case here.
I mean, I did say:
I understand if doing this would require a number-nerf on them, but at least they'll be usable.
Because honestly? They really aren't usable. They tend to destroy your dps so much with almost every weapon that can use them that it's actually better to just use musket balls instead. The only exception to this are handgun-type weapons (handgun, phoenix blaster, venus magnum) and the sniper rifle... which is exactly 4 guns in the entire game.

It does sound pretty difficult for you to do that though, so I will understand if it doesn't happen.

I don't know if anyone else has said this, but the new Titanium armor set bonus is just too OP. Those shards are insane and you can destroy crowds of enemies just by walking through them and occasionally hitting one with a weapon.

I would either heavily nerf the shards damage, reduce the amount of shards, increase the time it takes for the shards to regenerate, or just make a new set bonus for the Titanium armor.

The balance of the Titanium Storm is something we are watching carefully, and its very delicate. On the one hand, we have people reeling over the loss of a half-decade long fan favorite, we don't want the resulting buff to be unusuably bad, especially since its a very dangerous buff to use. On the other, we don't want it to introduce a new source of OP/exploitation either.

We've already fixed one exploit with it, and I've got some other considerations we are looking into. I will, however, say that "occasionally hitting one with a weapon" is a little inaccurate, as the Shards generate once per hit. I suppose it could be multi-hit weapons, but they run out quickly.

Either way: its being watched, and we are trying to make sure its viable and useful but also not overpowered. It has big shoes to fill, and we don't want it to be an utter letdown.

EDIT: Gonna be going to bed again now guys. Been working around the clock on bug work, and fitting in this thread at night when I can, so I probably won't check back in until tomorrow evening, afternoon optimistically. I'll probably take some time to respond to some of the posts from before as well, as time presents itself. :)

Last edited:
Ok, can somebody please explain why torch luck and vanity accessory lock is a thing?

The latter just makes it so that inventory space is more difficult. Was putting them on vanity slots overpowered or something?

The former almost reminds me of when a certain platform fighting game that thought it was a good idea to punish players for the simple act of running around by giving them a chance to trip.

And to put the icing on the cake, Torch luck isn't even explained until hard mode at all.

The only reason why I knew about it was from this forum and that's just not cool.

Still love the game though.

Last edited:
Cursed flames got buffed in journey's end, it now does 24dps still way weaker than ichor.

The `velocity` of a fishing pole is completely irrelevant... it's just how fast the bobber gets launched. Most equivalent crimson items are slightly stronger just like how platinum is slightly stronger than gold or lead is slightly stronger than iron. Still not a good excuse for how big of a disparity there is between ichor and cursed flames.
That still doesn't account for the fact it's way more hit or miss than the Golden Shower now with this buff it'll become that much more than it already was in 1.3 hit or miss. Immunities need to be changed or it will continue to be overshadowed by Golden Shower. My suggestion would be to remove all cursed inferno immunities from Hallowed enemies, immunity from floaty grosses and a quarter if not half of the pillar enemies. By removing some of the immunities brought by hard-mode enemies it becomes way more versatile and more useful in a larger variety of situations. Imagine a world where only 10-15 enemies less are immune to ichor vs cursed inferno. Currently 24 enemies/bosses are immune to Ichor vs 60 that are immune to cursed inferno. To add insult to injury all enemies/bosses immune to the ichor debuff are also immune to the cursed inferno debuff.

Last edited:
Jester's Arrows are so strong that they make every other early game arrow option extremely situational at best and completely useless at worst, and they are effortless to obtain in large quantities whenever you are doing anything on the surface at night anywhere. Frostburn Arrows have better damage when firing at exactly one enemy. That's the only competition until Unholy Arrows and Hellfire Arrows, which are much harder to obtain and still have significant weaknesses compared to Jester's Arrows.

I'll give a brief summary of each relevant pre-hardmode arrow here for reference.

Frostburn Arrows are easy to mass produce with no significant game progression. They contribute 9 damage and 2.2 knockback to a single target and have a chance to inflict a burn effect that deals 6 damage per second for a few seconds.

Jester's Arrows are easy to mass produce with no significant game progression. They contribute 10 damage and 4 knockback and cause the bow to damage and knock back an indefinite number of enemies in a line up to ~55 blocks away.

Bone Arrows can sometimes be purchased in bulk from a wandering NPC underground with no significant game progression. They contribute 6 damage and 2.5 knockback and cause the bow to damage and knock back up to 2 targets in a standard arrow arc.

Unholy Arrows can be purchased in bulk from a permanent NPC after defeating Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu, or can be crafted in small chunks from a material dropped by a relatively uncommon enemy in the Corruption. They contribute 12 damage and 3 knockback and cause the bow to hit up to 5 targets in a standard arrow arc.

Hellfire Arrows can be crafted in bulk from a resource in the Underworld after crafting a pickaxe from a material obtained by defeating Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu, or purchased in bulk from a permanent NPC after defeating the Wall of Flesh. They contribute 13 damage and 8 knockback and cause the bow to damage and knock back an indefinite number of enemies in a ~2 block radius around the point of the arrow's impact. They also have significantly higher velocity than other arrows, making them notably more accurate at longer distances.

Last edited:
EDIT: Try to not overwork yourself with everything you’re doing, Leinfors! Hope you rest well!

Okay these is already a lot to scroll through so I'm gonna try and minimize that.
[Tsunami in a Bottle]
Sometimes a jump is just a jump. Its defining feature is how easy it is to get through fishing. Doesn't necessarily need to have unique quirks . . . it really doesn't need a buff.
It feels a little out of place next to the other two "weird" balloons, which at least have some sort of special thing going on with their actual function. Honey Balloon just has bees (it seems that you're in favor of doing something with it, though), and Fart in a Balloon provides you with both mobility and top-tier comedy. The Sharkron Balloon's just kind of... a jump. I feel that having the water spray push back enemies would be something to set it apart from the normal three "Weather" balloons and make it fit in with the weirdness of the Honey and Fart Balloons; it could even soak enemies with Wet for a bit for an extra cosmetic effect. It's not gonna be something anyone clings onto for dear life, but it makes the bottle just that bit more interesting without going overboard.

[Weird Balloons]
I think it would be fun to do an Alt-Trio and then ultimately a "Cloud of Balloons", bring it full circle. Something I've pushed for internally, but did not get approval on.
Oh, man, having six whole jumps instead of wings would be a BLAST! I don't know why your higher-ups didn't approve of that (whoever they are), but I think you give it another shot, at least with the Bundle of Weird Balloons.

[Pyramid Loot]
This is not one I currently have the power to change. I would like to, but it is a no-go for now.
Darn, well, there goes the Sandstorm in a Balloon for now. Hope this changes at some point.

[Shark Tooth Necklace]
I think, as you say, defense piercing on accessories pales rather significantly in contrast to % based damage. Maybe its just an accessory that simply works best pre-HM, and isn't meant to scale up. I would say that part of the problem is that mid-to-late game defense is VERY inconsistently balanced, with enemies in the same zone often fluctuating dramatically in defense value. It makes defense-mitigating effects a bit of a wildcard, and while Ichor exists, its a situation I'm trying to avoid repeating on the whole.
Then, perhaps, the new tinkers can have an entirely new ability that's beneficial at all times while involving armor penetration/defense in some way? I've got a few ideas for such abilities if ever needed.

[Paladin's and Hero's Shields]
That would be a relatively tall order in terms of buffing general Defense stat accessibility. And while I recognize the limitations of the Defense stat, I'd be hesitant to toss that much onto one (and inevitably both) of these, due to the repercussions that could come from, say, a Mage deciding to double down on shields that add +38 Defense.
Well, that's on them for giving up another accessory they could have benefited from. You could have the Hero Shield gain a much smaller amount of defense when additional players are present, for Multiplayer. Another idea I just came up with to compensate for the defense bonus is having the Paladin's Shield reduce movement speed by 10% with the Paladin's Shield and 15% with the Hero Shield. Stacking both would, pretty noticeably, slow you down, making it a bit of a risky option.
On the note of shields, I think all of the other ones that already grant defense could grant a bit more. Maybe double? The 1, 2 and 4 defense you get from the Cobalt Shield and its tinkers are pretty negligible.

[Band of Starpower]
As you say, not much to say here. But its also not something I'll have an easy time getting approved. I'm interested in interesting solutions to this problem, ones that I'll have success getting approved.
I'll see what I can come up with. As of right now, I have an idea for an accessory to take the Band of Starpower’s place in the Shadow Orb, but I need some more time to refine it.
Why is THIS, of all things, a hard change to get approval on?

[Ice Skates and Diving Gear]
As you say, its a situational item in a game that doesn't have tremendous amounts of underwater exploration, and the frequency with which you spend running on ice is limited. And yet, that is their role. They are situational items with a limited niche, much like Lava Waders are/were. You say Ice Skates feels shoe-horned in, but taking a pure utility item and combining it with one of the strongest accessories in the game feels much the same. I don't think there is too much that can be done here, aside from general buffs to its intended functionality.
You make good points, especially about the Frozen Turtle Shell; there aren't really a lot of ice-themed Accessories to work with in this game, so I didn't really have another candidate.
The Diving Gears are fine, then, but the Ice Skates still feel a bit too situational. They're like if I had an accessory with only the Duneriders' sand speed-up mechanic, except only with ice, which isn't even all the blocks you'd normally be walking on in the Snow biome like with the Duneriders being able to speed up on sand, hardened sand AND sandstone. I presented the solution of having the skates increase mobility in general and having it getting STRONGER on ice blocks, but there is another option: Get rid of the skates entirely, and add its effects over to the Flurry Boots. Not exactly my favorite solution to the problem, but the skates, right now, are basically the Snow Biome's Anklet of the Wind fodder accessory that may as well just be replaced by a regular Material item if no effort is going to be put into improving them.

[Jellyfish Necklace]
I'd be interested in experimenting with a brightness buff here. I'm not sure a Shine Potion effect would fly though, mostly because we added an item that does much the same already. I'd say "ooh, new tinker idea", but new tinkers aren't likely in this discussion.
I'm surprised you guys opted to add a new item instead of improving one that basically was a really bad AND situational version of that. I'm starting to notice a biiiit of a trend with new Accessories being added into the game in favor of improving pre-existing ones.

[Cobalt Shield and Cross Necklace]
Interesting and atypical opinion here. The immunity frames have long been a popular mainstay of many builds, and I wouldn't consider the functionality to be underpowered. Nor would I consider Cobalt Shield to be in need of a buff (and if you were to add the buff to Cobalt Shield, it would be awkward if it was removed later in subsequent tinkers, as you soon point out with Dunrider Boots).
I usually survive a lot better with the Shield, which I can get a lot earlier than the Cross Necklace and grants me (for what it's worth) 2 WHOLE defense with the Obsidian Skull. I agree that the buff idea for the Cobalt Shield probably isn't necessary, but I thought it would make sense due to the Cross thing, as well as the fact that the knockback immunity and invincibility functions aim to accomplish the same thing. I don't see why the invincibility couldn't persist to the Ankh Shield, though; any explanation for why it might suddenly be snapped into unexistence?

[Dunerider Boots and its puny relatives]
Duneriders are tricky . . . you may notice that one of the hotfix changes we made was giving it a tinker into Spectre Boots. This is because prior, it had nothing. It was just an end to itself. It was what it was . . . "boots for if you go to the desert, with a perk". We added the tinker so that it wasn't a dead end. You are correct that its an awkward design, but the alternative at the time was either "nothing special at all, just a clone of Hermes" or "no tinker at all, a dead end". The most likely solution, if there is one, that I can see, is an odd-side-grade tinker, much like Lava Waders were all of this time, and then you KNOW the inevitable cry for tinkering into Terraspark Boots will follow, and I think that's going to stop that from coming to fruition in the first place.

The multi-biome suggestion is interesting but I don't think I could swing it in regards to the long term implications as the crafting tree worked up to Terraspark Boots.
I don't think another sidegrade would really "work", either. I had considered making EVERY pair of boots get its own unique tinker path, but ultimately scrapped the idea because it felt like WAY too much.
My idea was inspired by the Yoyo Bag retaining the specific String color and Counterweight that you use to make it; I thought a similar thing could be done with the Spectre Boots and beyond, but with stats instead of visuals (or maybe both, if you guys wanna really put in the detail). I understand that would be a lot of work, but that's kinda what Accessories in general already needed to begin with.
I also don't know what this is supposed to mean. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

[Aglet and Anklet of the Wind]
May as well consider it a vehicle for free prefixes on an otherwise row of empty slots, to be honest, given when you obtain it. It does no harm for an ultra-early game item, and is valuable for later upgrades.

In tandem with the Aglet suggestion, just blatantly buffing the speed on these together might be hard to justify on my end. Its true: they are basically glorified materials. Once upon a 1.0, Anklet served an independent purpose, but even if it had independent value, wouldn't it just be crafted away instantly anyway? That's just my take.
I've never gotten to the Goblin Tinkerer without having found a myriad of accessories I can use in the Aglet's place, so I wouldn't really call it "free prefix time". The Aglet (and the Anklet of the Wind) goes away quickly, yes, but they should have more distinct and/or noticeable stats if they're going to be actual accessories and not just Material items like Antlion Mandibles or Feathers. In the Anklet's case, you'd be getting that additional speed-up from the Wind Speed mechanic with ALL of its tinkers, which DOES actually bring something new to the table.
I have an additional function assigned to it in my suggestion that provides some utility, which I didn't present since that's not what you're looking for right now; this is actually the case for several items I mentioned on this thread.

[Obsidian Rose]
The ideal scenario IMO, WITHOUT adding new items to the game, would be including it in the Lava Wader tinker and add its benefits to it. It synergizes well (7 seconds immunity, and if you do run out, reduced damage). Which would furthermore be a side-effect buff to Terraspark Boots, which . . . might make it a hard sell, because Terraspark Boots were a concession that I've spent the last 5 years striving to get.
That's why I proposed giving it a new, additional effect that could allow for completely new strategies and tinkers. (This is one of those items I just mentioned.)
As-is, your ideal scenario is the only possible one that isn't a complete stretch.

[Magma Stone and Fire Gauntlet]
On Fire, to me, is a doomed buff. It doesn't do enough damage to be useful for most of the game, but if it was buffed too much, it would do too much damage early game, because its highly accessible. Fractional damage bonuses don't really work because the scaling would be tremendous. DoT multipliers like the Huntress armor were basically a failed experiment (one I would like to buff, for what its worth).

Burning, as an enemy DoT, is going to be an extremely hard sell, as its basically a freebie +50 DPS per afflicted target for all melee users for the rest of time.

As for the Fire Gauntlets themself: the lost DPS exists for a reason, but it is a reason long since rendered irrelevant by Melee's relative underperformance. I'm going to push for it to at least get that 2% back. As for additional bonuses, I can't promise anything.
Oh yeah, no, On Fire is beyond saving at this point, I think. My proposition with Burning is effectively a way of introducing an actually-useful On Fire. J Bame actually modified the Fire Gauntlet to do just that in his mod, and it felt... maybe a little too strong, thinking about it now. I think 40 DPS is really solid for the end of PreHardmode, especially since the Fire Gauntlet already inflicts On Fire for 3 seconds at most.

[Fairy and Flower Boots]
Consider it a pair of vanity boots, as a vehicle for the new visual trail it leaves. Easiest explanation I can offer.
The other side of coin for the Hellfire Treads, then? Alright, fair enough.

[Debuffs]
If its not doing enough damage, it may be a code issue, I'll look into it. I'm not going to say that 24/30 is "enough", but there is something to be said for iterations. This build was an experiment that increased their damage. Consequently, I was forced to raise the enemy damage (apparently that is non-negotiable) in turn, and for every buff to them I continue to add, enemy variants will have to increase in turn. I've already reduced durations somewhat to account for that, but anything further would be a straight buff to certain enemies. So that is something to be considered.

I'd like to look into increasing it further, but I feel that the 24/30 step is a good middle ground for starters. "Better" is always an improvement, even if its not "Perfect".
Is making separate player variants of Cursed Inferno, Venom and Shadowflame an option at all? Those are the only debuffs that really need the DPS buff, save for the Burning thing we've already acknowledged.

Last edited:
Jester's Arrows are so strong that they make every other early game arrow option extremely situational at best and completely useless at worst, and they are effortless to obtain in large quantities whenever you are doing anything on the surface at night anywhere. Frostburn Arrows have better damage when firing at exactly one enemy. That's the only competition until Unholy Arrows and Hellfire Arrows, which are much harder to obtain and still have significant weaknesses compared to Jester's Arrows.

I'll give a brief summary of each relevant pre-hardmode arrow here for reference.

Frostburn Arrows are easy to mass produce with no significant game progression. They contribute 9 damage and 2.2 knockback to a single target and have a 1/3 chance to inflict a burn effect that deals 6 damage per second for 1 second.

Jester's Arrows are easy to mass produce with no significant game progression. They contribute 10 damage and 4 knockback and cause the bow to damage and knock back an indefinite number of enemies in a line up to ~55 blocks away.

Bone Arrows can sometimes be purchased in bulk from a wandering NPC underground with no significant game progression. They contribute 6 damage and 2.5 knockback and cause the bow to up to 2 targets in a standard arrow arc.

Unholy Arrows can be purchased in bulk from a permanent NPC after defeating Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu, or can be crafted in small chunks from a material dropped by a relatively uncommon enemy in the Corruption. They contribute 12 damage and 3 knockback and cause the bow to hit up to 5 targets in a standard arrow arc.

Hellfire Arrows can be crafted in bulk from a resource in the Underworld after crafting a pickaxe from a material obtained by defeating Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu, or purchased in bulk from a permanent NPC after defeating the Wall of Flesh. They contribute 13 damage and 8 knockback and cause the bow to damage and knock back an indefinite number of enemies in a ~2 block radius around the point of the arrow's impact. They also have significantly higher velocity than other arrows, making them notably more accurate at longer distances.
You also forgot the fact that Frostburn effect from the Frostburn Arrows affects more enemies than the Cursed Inferno effect from Cursed Arrows.

I've heard many talk about it before, but I'm going to mention it again: Torch Luck.

Luck in general is a weird addition, changing the stats of your weapon damage, monster spawnrates, item drops, coin portal spawns, chances of bound NPCs spawning, etc, etc. A lot of things also affect luck, such as garden gnomes, lantern nights, ladybugs, luck potions, and... torches.

First of all, the concept of torch luck in general is just so strange in my mind. Why would placing specific biome torches in their specific biomes affect your luck in any way? Torches were made for one main reason, which was light. You shouldn't have worse luck simply because you didn't have 10 stacks of different torches in your inventory at all times.

And another thing, as I stated previously, luck can negatively affect weapon damage. Biome torches that aren't in their right biomes subtract luck. See what I'm getting at?

In the early game, even a few extra damage points on your weapon are necessary for survival (though the same could be said for Hardmode too). Taking those extra points away simply because you had the wrong torch is not a good thing. Why should a weapon do less damage because you placed a desert torch in the Corruption? It makes zero sense and actually makes the game less fun. This is a problem and it needs to be fixed in some way. Either take away the negative luck effects from torches, or remove torch luck altogether.

Oh, and one more thing. Different torches were made to provide colored light. People shouldn't have to use Coral Torches in the Ocean if it doesn't fit their build. Building with different blocks shouldn't be punished. Remember, this is a sandbox game.

A compromise for making biome torches useful besides aesthetic reasons would be to make biome torches brighter in their specific biomes, instead of adding or subtracting luck from the player.
Please consider changing torch luck, it will make the game better, even if it's only slightly.

Last edited:
I've heard many talk about it before, but I'm going to mention it again: Torch Luck.

Luck in general is a weird addition, changing the stats of your weapon damage, monster spawnrates, item drops, coin portal spawns, chances of bound NPCs spawning, etc, etc. A lot of things also affect luck, such as garden gnomes, lantern nights, ladybugs, luck potions, and... torches.

First of all, the concept of torch luck in general is just so strange in my mind. Why would placing specific biome torches in their specific biomes affect your luck in any way? Torches were made for one main reason, which was light. You shouldn't have worse luck simply because you didn't have 10 stacks of different torches in your inventory at all times.

And another thing, as I stated previously, luck can negatively affect weapon damage. Biome torches that aren't in their right biomes subtract luck. See what I'm getting at?

In the early game, even a few extra damage points on your weapon are necessary for survival (though the same could be said for Hardmode too). Taking those extra points away simply because you had the wrong torch is not a good thing. Why should a weapon do less damage because you placed a desert torch in the Corruption? It makes zero sense and actually makes the game less fun. This is a problem and it needs to be fixed in some way. Either take away the negative luck effects from torches, or remove torch luck altogether.

A compromise for making biome torches useful besides aesthetic reasons would be to make biome torches brighter in their specific biomes, instead of adding or subtracting luck from the player.
Please consider changing torch luck, it will make the game better, even if it's only slightly.
Maybe a fix would be removing negative torch luck. Now lets say torches in their respective biomes would only increase damage and torches outside of those biomes wouldn't do anything other than provide light.

With all the breakable walls (really, breakable hallways) in the dungeon eating up space shelves could occupy, books are now actually a little bit more limited, especially given that there's no crafting recipe for them. Sure, you could generate another world to get them, but it would be nice for there to be a renewable source in light of that. The wizard seems like a literate fellow, maybe he could have some nonmagical reading material for sale. It's not like you're likely to run out, but it would be a nice touch.

I'm trying to find a way to make all NPCs not unhappy with anything and I found a thing that I think should be rebalanced.

Why is the Tax Collector always not happy or making someone else not happy when in a town?

He loves the Merchant but the Merchant dislikes him.
He likes the Party Girl but the Party Girl hates him.
He likes the Snow Biome but that's the only thing the Santa likes/loves and Santa hates the Tax Collector.

I'm trying to find a way to make all NPCs not unhappy with anything and I found a thing that I think should be rebalanced.

Why is the Tax Collector always not happy or making someone else not happy when in a town?

He loves the Merchant but the Merchant dislikes him.
He likes the Party Girl but the Party Girl hates him.
He likes the Snow Biome but that's the only thing the Santa likes/loves and Santa hates the Tax Collector.
Taxman likes other peoples' money. Other people don't like paying their money for taxes. Pretty cut-and-dried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom