Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weapons I think would be better if they would be crafted from wood instead of found in chests:
Finch Staff
- it would be a better starting weapon for summoner without relying on RNG.
Wand of Sparking
- it was buffed in 1.4 but I've not seen this weapon show up much in wooden chests so like with summoner this would make a better starting weapon for mage.
Wooden boomerang
- this weapon is not that strong so I don't think it would break the balance.

Talking about wooden chests I suggest moving the throwing knifes and glow sticks to secondary items. This change plus those stated above would make getting the items that you want a little easier because there would still be 8 items in the primary slot.

+

Chain Knife
- why isn't this weapon crafted from iron/lead bars instead of droping from bats. Some suggested buffing this because of bats droping another weapon that is much better than this one. and I agree, but if it would be made craftable it wouldn't need a buff.

Can the spawn rate of the underground jungle be decreased? it wouldn't be that infuriating if you didnt have to create an arena for planetra, its absolutely miserable to be bombarded by moss hornets that shoot a ton of high damage projectiles that cause debuffs and prevent passive healing while trying to build a large open arena for plantera. Even with calming or invisibility potions its too much.

Weapons I think would be better if they would be crafted from wood instead of found in chests:
Finch Staff
- it would be a better starting weapon for summoner without relying on RNG.
Wand of Sparking
- it was buffed in 1.4 but I've not seen this weapon show up much in wooden chests so like with summoner this would make a better starting weapon for mage.
Wooden boomerang
- this weapon is not that strong so I don't think it would break the balance.

Talking about wooden chests I suggest moving the throwing knifes and glow sticks to secondary items. This change plus those stated above would make getting the items that you want a little easier because there would still be 8 items in the primary slot.

+

Chain Knife
- why isn't this weapon crafted from iron/lead bars instead of droping from bats. Some suggested buffing this because of bats droping another weapon that is much better than this one. and I agree, but if it would be made craftable it wouldn't need a buff.
I could agree with the Finch Staff, but having a free minion always available right from the start huge benefit, even if the finch isn't that reliable. It's still up to you to not use any other weapons, even though pure class playthroughs are quite common.
Wand of Sparking is suprisingly powerful now, and it would surpass some of the early gem staves if it was available from wood.
Wooden Boomerang can easily be upgraded to an Enchanted Boomerang in just one night.

For those reasons alone, I think the random chances to get a rather strong item in the early game seem prety valid.

Random thoughts:
Turtle mount: Increase in-water acceleration to same level of scutflix or similar;
Bunny: allow to double jump, double jump height and speed, remove fall damage immunity;
Winged Slime mount: decrease horizontal speed from 33 mph to 30mph, decrease vertical ascent from 56 mph to 45 mph, decrease flight time from 2.66 to 1.66 seconds but increase gliding time twice with increasing gliding speed from 34mph to 51 mph; (so it won't outperform all running mounts and wings but will be still great;
Golf car: remove ability of jumping, increase speed from 41mph to 56mph;
Improve effect of bundle of balloons on bunny, basilisk and winged slime mounts;
And as I wrote before, MAKE SOARING INSAGNIA BE CAPABLE OF GRANTING INFINITE FLIGHT TIME TO ALL FLYING MOUNTS + MAGIC CARPET

Last edited:
I have an QoL idea.
What about when you're fishing using the golden critters (worm, grasshopper etc.) for fishing they would have an increased chance of getting golden crates and golden carps.
Because almost everybody uses them for money or decoration you could either risk your golden critters to get a crate or two (or golden carp) or get nothing or just sell them for money/put them in a terrarium.

yo

Hero's Shield
Compared to the Frozen Shield, it's quite a bit weaker, but way more accessible (in Crimson Worlds at least), this compensates for it's power level a bit. Just giving it a little bonus would be enough, perhaps making it a bit more unique:

• For every 50 aggro points gain 0,5% Damage Reduction. (Full Turtle set grants 2,5% DR, Beetle 6,5%, Solar Flare 9%, Flesh Knuckles and tinkers each grant 4%, including this accessory itself).
  • OR grants 5% DR while above 75% or 90% HP

Slightly increase the drop rates of Souls of Light and Night
They're somewhat uncommon as of now, and you need quite a bit of them during early-HM for mimic keys, boss summons, weapons, etc.

Ankh Shield
This shields use case is for early HM all the way up to Plantera, the HM dungeon, and a few events and bosses beyond that. The earlier you get this shield the better, especially while exploring the Hallow and evil biomes.

Regarding its accessibility, often times I get many of its materials even when I'm not going for the Ankh. I'd say the rarities aren't as huge of a problem as many people make it out to be - just grind a bit more for the last few accessories and you can craft it before any HM boss. But generally, since it's use case is early HM, the earlier you get it the better - I propose having a couple more of the materials for the Ankh be obtainable pre-HM, namely the Adhesive Bandage and Armor Polish.
I've noticed many of the Ankhs materials are dropped by hallow or evil biome enemies. But the above accessories are exceptions. If you are going for the Ankh Shield, you can farm 4 ankh materials pre-HM, and get the rest only from the Hallow and evil biomes.

Improving its longevity, it's usefulness during the endgame would be fine too, although it's not entirely necessary. I disagree with a few ways of handling this: Making too many enemies inflict these debuffs, and the shield granting you immunity to lots debuffs in the game, this will make it a "must have" accessory for the entire run of the game, one of your accessory slots will always be occupied by this, that would be boring. I think it has to be good, worth the effort put into it, but it doesn't cross the line of being a mandatory accessory.
I don't know the best way to increase it's longevity though. I've only got random ideas.
I think giving it immunity to just "On Fire" would be good, since it's a very common debuff. And it would be pretty useful vs Golem too.
Decreasing the damage taken from some life-losing debuffs (Cursed Inferno, Acid Venom), similar to how the Honey buffs lowers it, or lowering the length of these debuffs by a few seconds or some percentage of their length.

Adhesive Bandage
Refer to the Ankh Shield essay above.
Make a pre-HM enemy inflict bleed, and make it drop this accessory. Piranhas are an easy option I think. Maybe all Sharks too, although they're rather uncommon. Maybe increase their spawnrate a bit?
Also, this would make it possible to craft the Medicated Bandage in pre-HM, but I see no issue with that.

Armor Polish
Make some Angry Bones inflict Broken Armor and drop this.

Finch Staff and Wand of Sparking
The "first" weapons for summoners and mages, and both are a bit difficult to get. Just improving their accessibility is enough.

• Move the Wand of Sparking to the Living Wood Chests with a 33% chance, also lower the chance of containing the Leaf and Living Wood Wand from 66% to 33%.
  • Perhaps have them appear in both normal and Living Wood chests.
  • Make it possible to craft each into the other via Ecto Mist or a Demon Alter in case you get scammed.

Weather Radio
Also displays Meteor Showers, Slime Rain, Sandstorms, other potential climate events.
If it can't be listed, possibly change it's icon to indicate there's something happening, similar to how the Sextant changes the moon phase icon during a Blood Moon / Eclipse.

Angler Armor
Give it a set bonus. You grinded 20 quests for this armor, and it just gives you 15 fishing power, you deserve more than that.
Lower enemy spawnrates
10% chance to get a duplicate of whatever you fished up

Obsidian Horseshoe
It's without a purpose really. It's hard to acquire, but it's a bit easier in "for the worthy" worlds I think. And even if you get it in normal worlds, it's powercrept very quickly by the wings , and why would you make this over any horseshoe balloon.
I think the way to go with this is make it better at what it does and make it more accessible, or just give it a new purpose entirely.
One way to increase its accessibility is to be able to mine obsidian with a Gold/Platinum Pickaxe, or even Silver/Tungsten. (Side note: Gold/Platinum picks don't need to mine meteorite anymore, since that's locked behinf EoW/BoC, and by then you'd have made the better pick)
Make it work while it's in your inventory. You just make it and forget it.
Force it into the crafting recipe for the Hellfire Treads, and further change those.
Force it into the crafting recipe for Obsidian Pants, they already require 20 obsidian, which is an Obsidian Skull by itself, just replace it with this. Do the crafting materials make sense? No. Does any other class benefit from this? No. Are there any instances of using an accessory to craft an armor piece? No. It's just a cute idea.

These last changes don't solve anything really. They're just somewhat interesting, hence the lack of reasons and justifications.

Anchor
Gains a velocity boost while touching water, in the rain, or under the wet debuff - adds to the water theme

Paladin Hammer
Faster use time, so you can "dribble" it on ground enemies, like Drakins, Paladins, etc and destroy them faster.

Fairy Boots
The flowers you create emit light for a few seconds. Or you shine.

Hive Pack
Also buffs the Hornet Staff and Wasp Gun, gives them flat damage or just extra armor penetration
Sometimes spawns bees when killing an enemy

Titan Glove
Keeps the melee size buff, but now increases knockback by a flat amount for all classes, instead of just melee.

Putrid Scent and Flesh Knuckles
Craft each into the other via Ecto Mist. You can already create an artificial evil biome to spawn whatever mimic you need, it's completely fine if you're used to making huge farms, but it does take quite a bit for work.

Lihzahrd Chests, Dungeon Biome Chests - Replace throwing knives, lesser healing potions, glowsticks etc. in the chests with high tier potions, Lifeforce, Rage, Wrath so you can get them in Crimson/Corruption worlds, Greater Luck Potions, Potion of Return, Golden Delight and more Gold Coins

Make these into rare, secondary items from chests:
Shark Bait, Seaweed (pet item), Fish (pet item), Pharaohs Clothes (move this to any underground desert chest)

A Water Chest always spawns in Water Floating Islands

Wet Bombs
Also obtainable earlier - e.g. from Water Chests/Ocean Crates

Party Girl
The day she moves in she throws a party

Bacon
Also dropped by Butchers

Place Piggy Banks, Water Candles etc. on blocks, not just on platforms.

Lucky Coin
Also gives 0.2 luck

QoL

Sometimes it's hard to find the item you want to craft from the entire crafting list, especially after you haven't played for a while or you've installed a new texture pack.
A solution to this could be, if you pick up a material with your cursor and hold it, the list of craftable items narrows down to items you can craft with that material. Add a setting to turn this feature on and off.

Mining
Crystal shards, dye plants, strange plants etc. - Auto select doesn't really work with these. Is it possible to make auto select detect dye plants/other 1 block things?
Currently auto select works on blocks you don't have enough pickaxe power for. Change it to ignore blocks you have insufficient mining power for. This makes mining Spikes in the Pre-HM Dungeon and in the Jungle Temple much easier.

Low health signaling
The player character squints their eyes while at low health, but that also overlaps with any time there's heavy weather or when you're under a debuff.
Just add an easily noticeable but not distracting way of signaling low health.
Sometimes it's difficult to register when you are getting hit, and how hard you got hit, and keeping track of your health in a tense situation.
At low health, or after taking a lot of damage in one hit, the player character makes a specific emote

Auto-buff
When your buff potions wear off and you're still in an event or boss battle - the buffs are automatically consumed without you needing to press buff. Add a settings for autobuff bosses and events.
This way you avoid losing max health from the Lifeforce potion and despawning a minion from the Summoner potion. And you don't need to remind yourself to drink potions with short durations like Magic Power and Ale.

Hotkey that selects the next ammo in your inventory for your gun/bow

Add a way to take a stack of an item from a chest but leave 1 of that item in the chest, so you can quick stack it back to the chest later.

Decreased enemy spawn rates during boss battles

All worm enemies
When they die, their loot drops as close to the player as possible, same as how the Destroyer drops his loot

Goblin Army spawns post-any 1 HM boss

Archer Cultists won't chase you
After hitting archer cultists accidentally you don't know where they'll end up after running after you.

Keep items favorited after you've asked the Guide about using it for crafting.

If you lock / unlock your hotbar in multiplayer and save and exit, this change won't be saved. (But it's saved in single player)

Make it so when you pick up a duplicate of a weapon that's already in your inventory, if possible, make it not go to your hotbar.

Thank you for re-opening this thread :)

Even if the bonus of Shroomite didn't work, the DPS of ranger is still MUCH HIGHER than other 3 classes.
Here's some data:
Ranger with Phantasm and Ichor Arrow can kill Master ML in 50 seconds.
Magic with Nebula Blaze can kill MML in 80 seconds.
Melee with Daybreak can kill MML in 70 seconds.
Summoner with Dragon and several whips can also kill MML in 50 seconds.
Ranger and Summoner both have the highest dps in the game, WHY CAN RANGER HAVE THE SECOND HIGHEST DEFENSE AND SUMMONER CAN ONLY BE THE LAST?
Another reason is that:Summoner and Melee must be close to enemy to hit them,but ranger and magic can hit them over 1 to 2 screens!Do you really think it's reasonable?
Alright I see your point, ranged defense needs a nerf.

It just doesn't affect me either way because as Shyguymask said, even when minmaxed, ranged weapons still often struggle to kill regular enemies. This is why I feel ranged is the second weakest.
The last time I tried a ranged run it took me three times as long to kill a Santa-NK1 with a chain gun and chloro bullets than it would take me to kill it with a christmas tree sword, and I would take half the damage in melee armor as I would in ranged. I've just never been able to make ranged or magic work well.

Also, magic melee and summon can all use ichor too, was that factored in here and not included? If not then you should probably redo those calculations.

Last edited:
1643544265915.png
Not sure if my suggestion counts as major overhaul but I would say that disabling normal mobs spawn during boss fights might be a really good thing to do.
Sometimes even a little stumble into enemy may mess the whole boss fight, especially on Master/For The Worthy.
I got quite a few Daytime Empress of Light tries being messed just because of sudden Gastropod/Possesed Armor.

You can use Staff of Regrowth to collect seeds from non-blooming herbs if they are growing on bare blocks, but not on Planter Boxes. I always found this to be a weird inconsistency and was wondering if it could be fixed.
I don't want Staff of regrowth to harvest non-blooming herbs in my planter box farm. It's WAY more efficient and convenient to be able to just run through a line of planter boxes only harvesting blooming herbs. Otherwise it's either extremely more annoying to properly harvest herbs or way less efficient if you don't want to waste your time.

I don't want Staff of regrowth to harvest non-blooming herbs in my planter box farm. It's WAY more efficient and convenient to be able to just run through a line of planter boxes only harvesting blooming herbs. Otherwise it's either extremely more annoying to properly harvest herbs or way less efficient if you don't want to waste your time.
Why is it less efficient? Does Staff of Regrowth harvesting make any difference between fully grown herb and blooming herb if both are planted in soil?

By using the best whips in the game, summons can actually deal critical damage.
What if every minions could deal critical damage if its weapon had a critical damage prefix?

Otherwise, is it possible to add multiple summoner weapon prefixes, including one best prefix (like legendary, mythical, godly)?

Why is it less efficient? Does Staff of Regrowth harvesting make any difference between fully grown herb and blooming herb if both are planted in soil?
Staff of Regrowth only breaks blooming herbs when they're planted in Clay Pots or Planter Boxes, it doesn't break unbloomed herbs like pickaxes do. That allows you to run through holding down M1 and only harvest the blooming herbs.

Staff of Regrowth only breaks blooming herbs when they're planted in Clay Pots or Planter Boxes, it doesn't break unbloomed herbs like pickaxes do. That allows you to run through holding down M1 and only harvest the blooming herbs.
Yes. But Staff is capable of breaking fully grown herbs which are not currently blooming and still make them drop seeds when they grow on their respective soil block. Baconfry suggested to make it possible to break fully grown non-blooming herbs with Staff in planter boxes like it can be done on soils, with seeds dropping. Thus this change cannot make harvesting herbs with Staff less efficient as the Staff would consider fully grown non-blooming herbs as if they were currently blooming.

Perhaps you could buff the Chlorophyte Pickaxe to make mining chlorophyte a bit faster?

I think it would be nice if the Stylist's haircuts were cheaper. The Stylist is a pricey and notoriously useless. With a price reduction, at least she wouldn't be the former.

Also, Leinfors, it looks like Fossil Armor (because +5% damage does basically nothing at that point in the game due to rounding) and Shroomite helmets (because they are generally outperformed by their Adamantite counterpart) need to be buffed. I'd make the arguments myself, but Dreadnautilus5000 knows a lot more about it than I do. So ask him on Discord if he doesn't post here first.

EDIT: Also ask about the Spectre Pickaxe if you want. Apparently, it's incredibly bad at mining for its tier.

EDIT 2:

A weird idea: Maybe having the entire map revealed once Moon Lord is defeated? I feel like that would be a nice bonus that wouldn't break anything.

A less-weird idea: How about giving statues a chance of spawning golden critters? This would be very helpful for completing the bestiary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom