Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's understandable, its easy to get 20% increased melee speed through other means anyways. Some of the whips were given faster use times as well so I'm sure that will help.
I mean compared to the 40% boost from a mixed armour set + any other accessories or buffs I'd prefer to go big.

Oh no, the Speed increase works fine now. Not the velocity multiplier, the 10% base velocity increase that im pretty sure you didnt know existed until you read this comment
In wiki it says "Extra arrow velocity works by setting the arrow's extra updates value to 1. This does not affect Jester's Arrows, Ichor Arrows, Venom Arrows, or Stakes, as they already have an extra updates value of 1 (or greater)", maybe they changed it, I don't know, result remains the same, naturally fast arrows are still not affected or almost not affected by a quiver. And all useful hardmode arrows are naturally fast.

The only arrows that I used quiver velocity bonus for were holy arrows, so you can add to it's nerf also difference in damage between quiver and any other proper damage accessory you can obtain, because they're even more useless without a quiver.
nothing surprising here
I just tested bosses that was previously beated by holy arrows, destroyer one of them. My point here that there is no situations left when holy arrows so much better that you'll go to farm unicorns for them. I wouldn't argue about their nerf if they crafted from 100-200 arrows and 1 hallowed bar or something like this, because they are still ok option vs static or big bosses.

In wiki it says "Extra arrow velocity works by setting the arrow's extra updates value to 1. This does not affect Jester's Arrows, Ichor Arrows, Venom Arrows, or Stakes, as they already have an extra updates value of 1 (or greater)", maybe they changed it, I don't know, result remains the same, naturally fast arrows are still not affected or almost not affected by a quiver. And all useful hardmode arrows are naturally fast.
Im aware of this, but there is also a 10% base velocity increase in there too. Its not in the wiki because it was very recently found and its so negligible it never matters.

Please make it possible to put The Dirtiest Block back into dirt form using the Rubblemaker (similar to Enchanted Sword into an Enchanted Sword Shrine).

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I do not think the wiring change in the temple was good. It completely removes the ability of players to use actuators to fix a bad RNG golem room spawn, which forces them to use cheesy teleports or hoiks to bring him out or just, like, softlock a run. It's taking quality of life backwards. This is the room I got in a master zenith seed, and it would be completely impossible to fight golem in this. You could maybe do something like allow players to place actuators, but not interact with wiring (the two use the same system, I'm not sure how plausible that would be) since actuators can be used without wiring with an actuating rod.
Screenshot (371).png

Shimmer phasing seems a bit broken, since it allows you to make an easy invincibility machine and beat anything by just letting your minions do the work. Enemies should be able to damage you while phasing. You can also just phase right on into the Jungle Temple, which could be fixed by just making it consider natural Lihzahrd Brick Walls as occupied space so you continue phasing until you come out of the temple at the bottom.

Tbh, though, I kind of feel like the Jungle Temple needs an entirely new mechanic to keep players out instead of this arms-race of patching every individual exploit players find to get in. It feels like it doesn't really belong in the game because it has so many restrictions that don't apply to anything else. Honestly, it should take a page from the Dungeon and just kill you with an invincible Golem head or a health-draining debuff if you get in early, and let players try to teleport or pylon or shimmer in if they want.

I also don't like the change to the Temple's wiring for similar reasons, since it's unintuitive to the player. Instead of the Temple just having invisible wiring, either the traps should be able to function without any wiring, or they should use something like a unique wire color that can only be seen and harvested with an upgrade to the Grand Design. Or maybe Lihzahrd Pressure Plates are unique in that they also trigger when a wire path connected to them is cut, so you can see the wires but can't just cut them without triggering the traps anyway.

Also, it's unrelated and very minor, but being able to just equip Echo Chamber for its effect makes Spectre Goggles redundant. Echo Chamber even works from your vanity slots, whereas Spectre Goggles don't, so Echo Chamber is just better. Which is weird when it's barely any harder to obtain.

Shimmer phasing seems a bit broken, since it allows you to make an easy invincibility machine and beat anything by just letting your minions do the work. Enemies should be able to damage you while phasing. You can also just phase right on into the Jungle Temple, which could be fixed by just making it consider natural Lihzahrd Brick Walls as occupied space so you continue phasing until you come out of the temple at the bottom.

Tbh, though, I kind of feel like the Jungle Temple needs an entirely new mechanic to keep players out instead of this arms-race of patching every individual exploit players find to get in. It feels like it doesn't really belong in the game because it has so many restrictions that don't apply to anything else. Honestly, it should take a page from the Dungeon and just kill you with an invincible Golem head or a health-draining debuff if you get in early, and let players try to teleport or pylon or shimmer in if they want.

I also don't like the change to the Temple's wiring for similar reasons, since it's unintuitive to the player. Instead of the Temple just having invisible wiring, either the traps should be able to function without any wiring, or they should use something like a unique wire color that can only be seen and harvested with an upgrade to the Grand Design. Or maybe Lihzahrd Pressure Plates are unique in that they also trigger when a wire path connected to them is cut, so you can see the wires but can't just cut them without triggering the traps anyway.

Also, it's unrelated and very minor, but being able to just equip Echo Chamber for its effect makes Spectre Goggles redundant. Echo Chamber even works from your vanity slots, whereas Spectre Goggles don't, so Echo Chamber is just better. Which is weird when it's barely any harder to obtain.
You can already Hoik to get into the Lizard Temple. No use in patching out temple shimmering.

I know that the Drill Containment Unit was buffed considerably. But perhaps it should be buffed more? It's still outclassed by certain mining methods like Celebration Mk2 mining.

Also, maybe get rid of the Mining Set's +10% mining speed set bonus and give that 10% to the helmet instead? It would speed up the early game a bit.

I guess the mess of these fire accessories is probably for the aesthetic aspect when equipping these skull variants.

What's the point of still having Molten Charm anyway when Magma Skull would functionally be the same?

I think there should be no need to make recipes for Molten Charm versions. You should just streamline it into making Molten Skull Rose first before combining Molten Skull Rose + Water Walking Boots/Obsidian Boots = Lava Waders.
Or probably just make Molten Skull Rose + Obsidian Boots as a sole recipe. Obsidians are not that hard to get after all.

And for the aesthetic thing, just make it switchable like Capricorn Hooves/Tail. Doing that will also allow you to reduce Molten Skull Rose recipes into one recipe without hinder the aesthetic options.

Shimmer phasing seems a bit broken, since it allows you to make an easy invincibility machine and beat anything by just letting your minions do the work. Enemies should be able to damage you while phasing.
I totally agree with this, especially since shimmer has the ability soft-lock you when combined with a teleporter loop. I don't know the exact solution, but having something like that in the game can't be healthy whatsoever. That would be my biggest complaint/suggestion to fix.
You can also just phase right on into the Jungle Temple, which could be fixed by just making it consider natural Lihzahrd Brick Walls as occupied space so you continue phasing until you come out of the temple at the bottom.
This is less of a problem, as 1. you aren't supposed to be able to move shimmer at that point in the game, and 2. as others have already said, there are already other methods of entering the dungeon that take much less effort, and it is clearly not a priority for the devs to patch.

Last edited:
I totally agree with this, especially since shimmer has the ability soft-lock you when combined with a teleporter loop. I don't know the exact solution, but having something like that in the game can't be healthy whatsoever. That would be my biggest complaint/suggestion to fix.

This is less of a problem, as 1. you aren't supposed to be able to move shimmer at that point in the game, and 2. as others have already said, there are already other methods of entering the dungeon that take much less effort, and it is clearly not a priority for the devs to patch.
At the point that you decide to use that invincibility machine, you've already beaten the game. I don't see a good reason to patch out the invincibility.

Pressing "up" in front of rope doesn't do anything if you have the step stool/hand of creation equipped, as the command seems to prioritise the stool, which is kind of annoying as you now have to jump and press "up" at the same time to get on a rope.

Personally speaking, I think rope should be prioritised.

At the point that you decide to use that invincibility machine, you've already beaten the game. I don't see a good reason to patch out the invincibility.
I should clarify a couple things on my point: 1. I think the fact that you can softlock yourself/others in a shimmer loop with teleporters is much more important to address than the invincibility, though addressing one of them will probably address the other. 2. It would be possible to set up a teleportation tube to cheese the Moonlord fairly easily just by using gravity to create a tube of shimmer (pre-beating moonlord), so even if it isn't as big of a deal, it should probably be addressed for that reason alone.

Would it be possible to add Fishing Bobber to the Angler Tackle Bag recipe? An entire accessory slot for +10 fishing power is a lot.

I know I'm playing a master mode zenith seed world, but it feels really unfair how King Slime keeps spawning and instantly killing me. I just lost the platinum coin I got from a gold slime from this.. then went back up and he spawned again.

Can there be some check against him spawning naturally? He kinda forces you to mirror back or die, especially with how he teleports onto you. He spawns off screen and then teleports onto me, so I don't even have a shot to fight or even dodge.

Also, hay cannot be harvested from ash grass.

Oh I love the invincibility machine. Bro it's so easy, Legendary Mode is a straight up joke with it once you beat Skeletron there's no stopping you once you get to that point since it'll be a race to the finish. With the right kind of loop you can even get out of softlocking. Things can go crazy for real for real. As an aside they should be more transparent with Ambrosia maybe mention the cap of 70% in the tool tip as it can be misleading to have a ton of set up, consume ambrosia and not gain a change in minding speed. Just my personal take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom