Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still like that with Obsidian Spinal Tap, there isn't anything bad here.

To be fair, I found that killing the WoF with the new NE was ... insanely fast. Like, I barely moved 10% of a medium world along the hellbridge that I built for fighting it, lol.

But then, if you really want a higher challenge, well. Expert and Master Modes exist.

The WoF was never really that hard no matter what weapon you use, it's all about whether you built a long enough bridge before you started so I never really used it to gauge challenge.
/shrug

I think that Fertilizer's recipe might be too expensive for what it does. What do you guys think? Perhaps it should be one poop per Fertilizer instead of three?

To be fair, I found that killing the WoF with the new NE was ... insanely fast. Like, I barely moved 10% of a medium world along the hellbridge that I built for fighting it, lol.

But then, if you really want a higher challenge, well. Expert and Master Modes exist.

The WoF was never really that hard no matter what weapon you use, it's all about whether you built a long enough bridge before you started so I never really used it to gauge challenge.
/shrug
Wait, were you playing in Classic Mode? I though you were talking about Master Mode, because even there, WoF still falls fast.

Idea for (way into the) future:

Legacy Seed with all items that were nerfed/changed in their original state (Flying Dutchman max speed, Spectre Armor high damage/heal, original Swords, throwing weapons, etc). For those players that want to relive prior states of those items.

Only mention it due to seeing weapons with seed-based stats in the last update (Keybrand pre-hardmode).

@Flubman

I dont mind the cost so much as the fact that it gets used up if you use it when not pointing at a tree. Holding use while moving to grow a large number or trees really uses them up quickly (x3 the number of trees)

Finished my MM playthrough on archer so my thoughts:

Like I mentioned before in this thread quiver is useless now for it's drop rate. 10% bow damage is not worth of losing whole slot, so you need it only to increase holy arrows speed, but they was also nerfed. In result you don't want farm quiver because holy arrows not that good, and you don't use holy arrows because you don't have a quiver. I think it should be obtainable much easier.

Eventide is still losing one arrow to the ground when you're shooting sideway. Rangers are the only class that don't have a solid option to shoot through walls (holy arrows can but can't call it solid), so maybe make eventide special arrows go through one wall of any width to solve both problems.

Shroomite armor set bonus still boring and useless. The only use for me was damaging ML top eye a bit more at the start of the fight, that's it. Those kind of multiplayer focused bonuses should be adjusted to be useful in a singleplayer too.

Ammo box also a bit disappointing comparing to other classes. I just didn't buy it in result even with it being infinite and sold by arms dealer. It can be an alternative crafting station for any ammo type and have a chanse to not waste ingredients on crafting (like alchemy table) or maybe some damage boost but only for ammo, without affecting weapons damage.

Invincibility frames problems was solved for almost everything but multiarrow bows with piercieng arrows. Don't see huge balance problems here because most multiarrow bows that would have huge benefits from it are post-golem level, and we already have eventide here that don't have this problem. So now it's just a distracting aspect for new players.

I wish there is some way to make ammo selection easier. Maybe option in menu to make mouse wheel able to rotate through ammo slots instead of hotbar slots, or hotkey to select ammo from wheel, or maybe ability to load weapons with ammo.

@Flubman

I dont mind the cost so much as the fact that it gets used up if you use it when not pointing at a tree. Holding use while moving to grow a large number or trees really uses them up quickly (x3 the number of trees)
Wait. Fertilizer can be wasted on literally nothing? That sounds like a bug.

I "get" what you're saying there, but yet... I still don't like boiling the game down to just bosses. Yes, sure, the bosses are the "big moments", but if we take that logic just a bit further, then you're also saying that golf, kites, fishing, pets, aesthetics, building, half of the NPCs, and OOA is also "useless" because it doesn't help you in fighting bosses.
I didn't say a word about vanity because it's vanity. It wasn't made to be useful in boss fights, they're for fun, and always will be. Vanity is INHERINTELY useless, yes. All of the NPCs still have their place, even if some of them don't sell much, and OOA isn't useless at all? I have no clue where you picked that up when I said that bosses are the most important part of your progression.

You can get some of the best gear in the game from OOA, and it has fantastic opportunities for mixing armor in hardmode, like Hallowed Mask + Monk Shirt + Squire Greaves, not to mention the insane regen builds you can make with Valhalla setups. Summoner also benefits HARD from this armor, you can end up trading your minion slots to spec into sentries with the OOA armor, which have some crazy good stats and the best defense and damage that summoner can get to begin with!

Don't just assume I said events were useless, because they aren't. I'm only saying that your gear is only determined useful if it can end up beating the next big bosses because of how the game works. Of course you could always use a crowd control weapon for inbetween sections, but again. They aren't getting you past important progression points. They're useful for getting you viable equipment, through exploring, and like I just explained, events like OOA.

I think the Bundle of Horseshoe Balloons may be a bit too powerful. It seems to be on par with some early hardmode wings, with higher vertical movement and better synchronization with rocket boots, at the expense of horizontal movement, despite being acquried in mid to late pre-hardmode. I think that the Sandstorm in a Balloon should be replaced with the Sharkron Balloon, which both nerfs the Bundle of (Horseshoe) Balloons and makes them easier to obtain. Thoughts?

How feasible would it be to make souls of might/sight/fright transmutable into each other once the mech bosses have been defeated?

How feasible would it be to make souls of might/sight/fright transmutable into each other once the mech bosses have been defeated?

I don't really get why you would want or need to do this instead of just, well, summoning the correct boss again. Once you've defeated all 3 mechs, you have access to gear that should shred them effortlessly, so what's stopping you from simply summoning the one you need?

I don't really get why you would want or need to do this instead of just, well, summoning the correct boss again. Once you've defeated all 3 mechs, you have access to gear that should shred them effortlessly, so what's stopping you from simply summoning the one you need?
To be fair, you could say the same about the wall of flesh emblems.

I just noticed that the Travelling Merchant despawns if you save and quit. I suppose that serves me right for using Save and Quit as a makeshift Magic Mirror early-game. Would it be possible to make him remain in the world if you quit to the menu in the next patch?

Except you get a random emblem and you could easily summon the Wall 10, 20 times and not get the one you need.

The Souls always drop from their respective boss, and you can choose which you obtain by summoning the correct boss.
Yeah but it would be more convenient to be able to do it to souls, idk about anyone else but I always end up with a lopsided amount of souls when I move on to plantera, so being able to turn excess ones into specific souls to make like an avenger emblem or frost moon without having to do a boss again would be cool.
Also I think it would increase player happiness in the get fixed boi seed specifically for you-know-why.

Not sure if this fits this thread, but i think mining lihzahrd pressure plates should be only possible with picksaw and better pickaxes. the temple wire change in 1.4.4 was made to prevent you from easily disarming traps before golem but now you can just mine the pressure plates to get rid of them. (a dangersense potion makes them glow so they are not that hard to see either)

Not sure if this fits this thread, but i think mining lihzahrd pressure plates should be only possible with picksaw and better pickaxes. the temple wire change in 1.4.4 was made to prevent you from easily disarming traps before golem but now you can just mine the pressure plates to get rid of them. (a dangersense potion makes them glow so they are not that hard to see either)

I think the idea was to prevent removing the danger altogether with the Grand Design from afar without even getting close, but yet they want you to be able to manually remove the traps with pickaxes (which requires you to get up close to said traps).

They want you to be able to deal with the traps (IE, mine the pressure plates), but they don't want you doing it from a safe distance.

I think that Lava Charm should be transmutable into Magma Stone because you can already do the opposite. It's weird to be able to get the rare Lava Charm from the more-common Magma Stone but not being able to do vice versa.

Last edited:
I think that Lava Charm should be transmutable into Magma Stone because you can already opposite. It's weird to be able to get the rare Lava Charm from the more-common Magma Stone but not being able to do vice versa.

Magma Stones are infinitely farmable, in fact, I've gotten 20+ of them while trying to get a Fire Feather.

I'm sure there's some kind of reason why they don't want to put a bunch of unnecessary transmutations in the shimmer's code, maybe more entries on a compare list might potentially cause lag anytime you throw an item in? /shrug dunno.

Beetle armor with shell is broken. I guess it supposed to be "true melee" armor, but nothing prevents you from using it with other weapons. Master mode ML deals like 15-40 damage vs defensive build based on this armor, kinda disappointing for "final challenge". And it doesn't even mean that you have any troubles with your offensive capabilities, daybreak easily deals 3-3.5k dps, that more than enough for ML.

My suggestions:
Greatly decrease projectile (of all types not only melee) and minion/sentry damage and boost true melee damage + keep old effect
or
Replace effect with 15% DR by default + 10% from each beetle, but beetle appear every 5 sec and on hit all beetles disappear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom