Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok lets all agree the new night's edge is broken it helped me shred the wall of flesh with in seconds and the funny thing is that my friend said stab it in the eye i bounce off its eye

ok lets all agree the new night's edge is broken it helped me shred the wall of flesh with in seconds and the funny thing is that my friend said stab it in the eye i bounce off its eye
It's at Obsidian Spinal Tap level, it's fine.

That makes me think that the Night's Edge could have a damage penalty for how many enemies it hits, just like Whips, but this could only apply to Hardmode. C'mon, Night's Edge can even be used to kill The Destroyer now, and it would be a nerf specifically for that battle.

I feel the duplication requirements for mandibles should be 25. As common as they are in desert caves. Seems rather unbalanced that the ingredient for mining potions only has a requirement of finding 5 of them.

So the Lava Waders' crafting tree is pretty messy right now. To help clean it up a bit, I'd suggest making the Molten Charm an alternative to the Magma Skull for crafting the Molten Skull Rose, and have Lava Waders crafted only from the Molten Skull Rose and either Water Walking Boots or Obsidian Water Walking Boots.

Another approach could be to just have every step require the obsidian version of every accessory, which would cut like 6 or 7 redundant recipes. Yes this would mean you would have to make 3 total Obsidian Skulls, but obsidian isn't exactly hard to get. To offset this you could reduce the amount of obsidian per skull to something like 15 or 16, which I think is still reasonable.

When they made the change though, they made Strange Plants detectable with the Metal Detector to make them easier to find. I have a feeling that in Pre-Hardmode this may affect the player's ability to find chests and Life Crystals early game which is very crucial.

Not that you'd have a metal detector in "early game" unless you get extremely lucky. You'd have to..

1). get a weapon that can kill a nymph,
2). FIND a Lost Girl (which requires you to be in the Jungle or Caverns),
3). find a way to prevent it from despawning or killing you,
4). find a way to keep everything ELSE off of you while you kill her.
5). Actually GET the drop,
6). do all of this early enough for this scenario to matter.

Most playthroughs I've done, I got 400 life well before I ever found a metal detector. And a few of those playthroughs were after they buffed its drop rate to 50%.

And at the end of the day? All you'd have to do is move the Strange Plant to be lower than Life Crystals or Chests. Maybe just above a Pot. Or maybe between Iron/Lead and Silver/Tungsten.

Not that you'd have a metal detector in "early game" unless you get extremely lucky. You'd have to..

1). get a weapon that can kill a nymph,
2). FIND a Lost Girl (which requires you to be in the Jungle or Caverns),
3). find a way to prevent it from despawning or killing you,
4). find a way to keep everything ELSE off of you while you kill her.
5). Actually GET the drop,
6). do all of this early enough for this scenario to matter.

Most playthroughs I've done, I got 400 life well before I ever found a metal detector. And a few of those playthroughs were after they buffed its drop rate to 50%.

And at the end of the day? All you'd have to do is move the Strange Plant to be lower than Life Crystals or Chests. Maybe just above a Pot. Or maybe between Iron/Lead and Silver/Tungsten.
To add to all this, strange plants don't even spawn before hardmode any more.

I know that Spectre Pickaxe's mining speed was reduced in 1.4.4, but I think that it should have its mining speed reduced further to 7 to make it a straight upgrade to the Chlorophyte Pickaxe, which has a mining speed of 7. Spectre Pickaxe comes at a later point in progression than Chlorophyte Pickaxe, so I think it should be able to mine at least as fast.

EDIT: Also, I don't like the Cactus Pickaxe nerf. It's been reduced to uselessness because it's now worse than what you start with. Also, having an easily accessible, slightly better pickaxe slightly sped up the notoriously slow early-game. I think a simple reversion of the 1.4.4 changes would be enough.

Last edited:
To add to all this, strange plants don't even spawn before hardmode any more.

I meant that as a response to "why did they move it to hardmode? was it because of the metal detector?" to explain why the Metal Detector surely isn't the reason why they moved it.

I’d like to suggest some additions to shimmer.

Clearly part of the design is allowing for grinding of chance-based rarer items from their counterparts, such as ancient armors, cycling loot etc.

I believe the Terragrim should be shimmered from enchanted swords. Currently it remains one of the few non-renewable items, and is an immense hassle to farm for at its intended power peak, as often you must create world after world or cheese it.

On the same topic, while sandstorm in a bottle is now craftable, magic carpet and pharaoh’s robes remain locked behind pyramid loot only. The easiest implementation I can think of is shimmering any of the items cycles through the others, or allowing the rest of the pyramid loot to be craftable/fish-able.

My final point is all of the biome chest-based minecarts aren’t available in fishing crates, as well as gold chest loot. Is there a rationale for this?

I'd suggest for Wormhole Potions to allow for you to warp to active Pylons. It would make it more valuable in single player. Of course, this can be disabled while a boss is alive.

I think it would be nice if the inverse was also possible. You can't get a biome chest before getting a biome key without cheating anyways.

Screenshot_76.png

I’d like to suggest some additions to shimmer.

Clearly part of the design is allowing for grinding of chance-based rarer items from their counterparts, such as ancient armors, cycling loot etc.

I believe the Terragrim should be shimmered from enchanted swords. Currently it remains one of the few non-renewable items, and is an immense hassle to farm for at its intended power peak, as often you must create world after world or cheese it.

On the same topic, while sandstorm in a bottle is now craftable, magic carpet and pharaoh’s robes remain locked behind pyramid loot only. The easiest implementation I can think of is shimmering any of the items cycles through the others, or allowing the rest of the pyramid loot to be craftable/fish-able.

My final point is all of the biome chest-based minecarts aren’t available in fishing crates, as well as gold chest loot. Is there a rationale for this?

Those desert items already shimmer transform into each other. At least the pharoah set can transform into the bottle and carpet respectively, though not the other way around.

Those desert items already shimmer transform into each other. At least the pharoah set can transform into the bottle and carpet respectively, though not the other way around.
I think that all transmutation conversions should be reversible (with the exception of stuff like ore downgrading and wood conversion).

Small idea relating a relatively new mechanic so it counts for this thread.

Would it be possible to make the Candles equippable in the Accessory slot similar to the screen filter items? (Ex: Monoliths)

For those that want a permanent Peace/Water Candle effect wherever they go without actually placing a bunch of them all around.

The Terra Fart Kart's recipe is a bit counterintuitive imo. I think it should use a Broken Hero Sword instead of a Terra Toilet.

I'm doing an Expert summoner run now, and am at the early hardmode bosses.

Not much has changed with summoner, but here are some thoughts:
-Cheaper leather whip and more relaxed Flinx spawn conditions make starting a lot easier than before
-Snapthorn is very strong; it always was, and all the jungle weapons are strong, but its a huge improvement over leather whip and feels like it carries most early boss fights. Kind of like a summoner Minishark.
--I never used whip stacking, so can't comment on that
-Hornets with hive pack are really good
-obsidian armor definitely doesn't feel overpowered now; I felt like it was a sidegrade to bee armor, and switched back and forth depending on whether I was focusing on whips or minions

-Queen slime feels more realistic now; I can get by a few of the baby slimes' projectiles without dying. But dreadnautilus firing through blocks makes it way harder now; I know it was designed to avoid cheesing but this was already a super nasty boss and this makes it much harder to defeat (I did cheese it a lot before and even then it was rough and needed a lot of preparation). Blood squids already getting nerfed is great.

-Cool whip is great; it doesn't instantly murder everything but it feels like a definite step up from Spinal Tap, and great vs pirates and queen slime's minions.

I want to leave some feedback on the new loadout feature.

Would it be possible to let us favorite armor and equippables, (using alt+left click), in order to let us use the same items across different loadouts?

Right now, you'd have to craft multiples of each item you want to use in multiple loadouts, (for example wings or Terraspark Boots), and I just feel like there could be a better solution for that.

Letting us select certain items to be used across all loadouts would add a lot of flexibility - you could use loadouts to quickly change your armor, but keep all equippables. Or you could use them to swap a few equippables, but not all of them.

Making it so that projectiles can break cracked dungeon bricks was a good change, but I think that melee strikes should be able to break them, too. It would make the Dungeon a lot friendlier to melee players.

EDIT: How about being able to transmute Worm Scarf into Brain of Confusion and vice versa?

Last edited:
The range increase isn't enough to make the Bee Keeper worth using. In my opinion, the way to make it work is to keep the function where it spawns bees when you hit a monster, but also make it spawn bees when you swing the blade. Making it so you get less bees if you're swinging at air compared to hitting a monster, for balance purposes. This would make it a suitable alternative to the Blade of Grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom