Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, aside from the workload required to do so, the sheer amount of liquid creation, or in the case of liquid clearing, induced liquid movement, that would be created by the Celebration MK2 would probably be performance debilitating.

Its one of those things that sounds useful on paper, but is pushing the limits of what Terraria can reasonably handle on most PCs.

But as a side note, does the Vampire frog have two different knockback values? It is listed as average knockback on the wiki. That level of knockback makes sense for tongue damage, but might be too strong for body damage.

Honestly, aside from the workload required to do so, the sheer amount of liquid creation, or in the case of liquid clearing, induced liquid movement, that would be created by the Celebration MK2 would probably be performance debilitating.

Its one of those things that sounds useful on paper, but is pushing the limits of what Terraria can reasonably handle on most PCs.

I see, that makes sense. Would reducing the area of effect for the explosion, specifically for liquid rockets used with the Mk2, help with that, or even be feasible at all? I know that other launchers can modify the size of their rockets' explosions, but I don't know how easy it is to make such a change.

Obviously it's a low priority thing so I don't expect it to get changed, but I just thought I'd mention it in case it was something quick and easy to fix.

Spontaneous and small idea for a small update - better looking banners, some don't look that good, so here's a list of them:
1) banners that seriously should be resprited: harpy, pigron, herpling, frankenstein, moth
2) banners that could get a resprite but aren't that bad ( for example just add more detail ): bird, shark, snow flinx, lihzahrd, dark and light mummy ( the banner could more look like their new sprite added in 1.4 ), vampire, jungle creeper, beetles ( cochineal, lac and cyan )
3) ( my personal opinion ) banners and entire enemies that should at least be a bit more detailed: corrupt bunny, corrupt goldfish, chaos elemental
Not sure if devs will ever see this but I still have hope

Last edited:
I like the current crafting costs of the True Excalibur and True Night’s Edge, but I am concerned that the current requirements may be excessive. Currently the cost to craft the True Night’s Edge requires 20 of each boss soul, which has a considerable impact on how many times you need to defeat each boss. But the amount of Chlorophyte Bars required to craft a True Excalibur I find even more concerning – it requires 24 bars, which is twice the amount required for the other Chlorophyte melee weapons. With that amount, you could craft a Chlorophyte Claymore and Chlorophyte Saber both. (It’s the same investment needed to craft a Chlorophyte Plate Mail.) When the Chlorophyte requirement is that steep, there’s absolutely no reason you’d ever use Chlorophyte to make the other melee weapons. The idea may have been to have the pure Chlorophyte melee weapons be relatively cheaper to make, but there’s no incentive to do so when the True Excalibur completely outclasses them. So either way you’re better off saving up for a True Excalibur, and this only has the effect of raising melee’s Chlorophyte crafting requirement.

This is how I would revise the crafting requirements:

True Night’s Edge
– Soul of Fright (10)
– Soul of Might (10)
– Soul of Night (10)
– Soul of Sight (10)

True Excalibur
– Chlorophyte Bar (12)
– Soul of Light (15)

While this does free up some resources, it does not fix the issue with the Chlorophyte Claymore and Chlorophyte Saber being underpowered – you still wouldn’t want to make them in the first place. Both of these weapons need buffs to make them valid alternatives to the True Excalibur at this tier.

STATS COMPARISON

WeaponDamageAutoswingKnockbackCritical chanceUse timeVelocityProjectile behaviorProjectile piercingNotes
Chlorophyte Claymore80No64%268Shoots out a green orb that travels in an arc. Is affected by gravity.Unlimited piercing.Projectile only travels a far distance when thrown horizontally.
Chlorophyte Partisan49No6.24%235Throws out a spore cloud that travels a short distance, dealing continual damage to enemies caught within it.Unlimited piercing. Can pass through walls.Has extremely long reach.
Chlorophyte Saber48Yes44%168Throws out a spore cloud that travels a short distance, dealing continual damage to enemies caught within it.Unlimited piercing. Can pass through walls.Effective range is extremely short compared to the Partisan, as the cloud emerges from the character instead of the spear tip.
True Excalibur70Yes4.54%1611Fires a fast-moving blade of light.Can pierce through 1 enemy.Light beam travels faster and farther than spore cloud.

We see here that the True Excalibur wipes the floor with the Chlorophyte Saber in nearly every category. It did so even before its buff, but now these weapons are in direct competition. Unlimited piercing matters very little when the range of that piercing is so limited. Compared to the True Excalibur, its damage is paltry. It needs increased damage and further distance on its projectile.

The Chlorophyte Claymore has higher base damage than the True Excalibur, but its use time is slower by several magnitudes, and the way its projectile functions is deeply unreliable. The sword requires considerable buffs to use time and damage before it can be considered remotely good. (Ideally its projectile behavior would also be improved, but I suspect that ship has sailed.)

The Chlorophyte Partisan is the one other viable weapon on this list, due to its long reach and unlimited piercing. Potentially, it could benefit from a slight use time buff (although the Mushroom Spear should then get one as well).

TWO UNRELATED SUGGESTIONS

1. Give the Spider Staff minions local immunity. Currently, only Spider minions of the same type conflict with each other, but Spider minions of different types don’t interfere with each other’s attacks. Since the three spider types are different entities, it’s impossible to give them true static immunity. However, the current way the weapon works is extremely unintuitive, and punishes players based entirely on luck, as all but a tiny minority of players won’t realize why the weapon sometimes performs better than other times. This change also remove the need to tediously re-summon minions to get the optimal distribution. The staff is already 50% of the way to local immunity just because of how the weapon is implemented. It should just be given local immunity, so that this weird, unintuitive quirk is done away with. If it needs a slight damage nerf of one or two points afterwards, it’s a worthy price.

2. I have a proposed fix to the weird critical hit issue with the Nimbus Rod, where you can boost the cloud’s critical hit chance by switching to a different weapon. Since it’s hardcoded into the engine that critical hit chance is based on the weapon you are holding, the root issue cannot be resolved easily. But since this issue disproportionally impacts the Nimbus Rod, I suggest that it be treated the same way as summons, and lose its ability to deal critical hits. To compensate, its damage should be buffed by 20-30% – that way, instead of dealing 100% more damage X% of the time, its dealing X% more damage 100% of the time. This is much more simple and intuitive, and improves the weapon for the majority of players who are unaware on this strange quirk of the system – and therefore will never be able to capitalize on its max potential DPS.

Last edited:
We see here that the True Excalibur wipes the floor with the Chlorophyte Saber in nearly every category. It did so even before its buff, but now these weapons are in direct competition. Unlimited piercing matters very little when the range of that piercing is so limited. Compared to the True Excalibur, its damage is paltry. It needs increased damage and further distance on its projectile.
Maybye make the projectiles it fire last longer longer once they stop moving, similar to how the death sickle works.

The Chlorophyte Claymore has higher base damage than the True Excalibur, but its use time is slower by several magnitudes, and the way its projectile functions is deeply unreliable. The sword requires considerable buffs to use time and damage before it can be considered remotely good. (Ideally its projectile behavior would also be improved, but I suspect that ship has sailed.)
Maybye the projectile from the Claymore can bounce like the candy corn rifle.

Honestly, given just how many things Chlorophyte is used to craft, the game could probably benefit from just reducing the amount of ore per bar. This would help ease the competition between basic Chlorophyte equipment and the tiers before and after it.

On a related note, Chlorophyte armor needs a buff too, or else Hallowed needs a nerf. Probably both tbh. Changing the set bonuses entirely at this point is probably off the table, but something like increasing the cooldown on Hallowed's set bonus would go a long way. For Chlorophyte, I don't think that just improving the DPS of its projectile would do very much; it needs something else if it's going to compete. Something like lifesteal, or inflicting a debuff on enemies it hits (acid venom?), or giving the player a buff after it hits something (rapid healing?).

This will be somewhat controversial, but I think True swords deserve to be expensive considering they are powerful for their tier already and are building up to the Terra Blade, a sword which is meant to take dedication and a bit of a grind to craft.

As for Chlorophyte Gear, yeah it could probably use a buff. The swords and spear are pretty bad, and could work well with buffs.

Saber and Partisan should be able to launch the cloud farther and have it last longer, allowing it to get multiple hits off against the boss of its tier Plantera from a safe distance.

IIRC, Leinfors already tried to ask for bounce on the Claymore but it didn’t get through. As an alternative, I would make Claymore a “heavy hitter”, upping damage per shot significantly and maybe upping use time. This would make it usable against UG Jungle enemies.

As for Chlorophyte Armor, the No.1 buff it could use is being able to use it in crafting the post-Plantera armors. Since only so much Chlorophyte exists, it’s kind of wasteful to make an armor with mid level utility and make it that much harder to make the next tiers of armor. Not sure how that would work with Specter and Shroomite which require upgrades of Chlorophyte Bars, however. Maybe you could combine it with the equivalent number of Ectoplasm or Mushroom at the correct crafting station?

I actually think, aside from that, Chlorophyte is underrated. It acts as the offensive alt to Hallowed, exchanging the powerful defensive set bonus for higher damage values and an (actually pretty powerful if you use it) offensive set bonus. I had good utility of it in Journey Mode where Chlorophyte being limited wasn’t a concern. If you didn’t have to waste so much chlorophyte to make it, I think it would be fine as is.

Since crafting Chlorophyte armors/tools/weapons is considered wasteful because there are better uses for the bars and the ore is relatively tedious to farm, maybe the "perk" of Chlorophyte made items could be that the crafting can be reversed, at least for items that require Chlorophyte exclusively (Armor and tools can be crafted back into bars, but True Excalibur, Venom Staff, etc. can't).

I actually think, aside from that, Chlorophyte is underrated. It acts as the offensive alt to Hallowed, exchanging the powerful defensive set bonus for higher damage values and an (actually pretty powerful if you use it) offensive set bonus. I had good utility of it in Journey Mode where Chlorophyte being limited wasn’t a concern. If you didn’t have to waste so much chlorophyte to make it, I think it would be fine as is.
Although it wasn't nerfed directly I feel like chlorophyte armor's relative usefulness dropped sharply when 1.3.4 came out and added in dungeon defenders armor. Before this chlorophyte had arguably the best pre plantera offensive abilites, but now the raw stats on the dungeon defenders armor when used for mixed sets gave it some rough competition.

Since crafting Chlorophyte armors/tools/weapons is considered wasteful because there are better uses for the bars and the ore is relatively tedious to farm, maybe the "perk" of Chlorophyte made items could be that the crafting can be reversed, at least for items that require Chlorophyte exclusively (Armor and tools can be crafted back into bars, but True Excalibur, Venom Staff, etc. can't).
I love this idea. It would solve many of the issues with Chlorophyte. I also like @CellarDoor96 ’s suggestion of reducing the ore per bar, perhaps from 6 to 5. (Chlorophyte Bar sell price would be reduced from 90 to 75 to compensate.)

New crafting recipes:

ResultIngredientsCrafting station
Chlorophyte Bar
Chlorophyte Ore (5)
Chlorophyte Arrow (150)
Chlorophyte Bullet (70)
Adamantite Forge or Titanium Forge
Chlorophyte Bar (12)
Chlorophyte Claymore
Chlorophyte Partisan
Chlorophyte Saber
Chlorophyte Shotbow
Chlorophyte Headgear
Chlorophyte Helmet
Chlorophyte Mask
Chlorophyte Bar (18)
Chlorophyte Chainsaw
Chlorophyte Drill
Chlorophyte Greataxe
Chlorophyte Jackhammer
Chlorophyte Pickaxe
Chlorophyte Warhammer
Chlorophyte Greaves
Chlorophyte Bar (24)Chlorophyte Plate MailAdamantite Forge or Titanium Forge

Potentially, the crafting station could instead be the Autohammer. This would mean you could only break down the Chlorophyte equipment post-Plantera.

I love this idea. It would solve many of the issues with Chlorophyte. I also like @CellarDoor96 ’s suggestion of reducing the ore per bar, perhaps from 6 to 5. (Chlorophyte Bar sell price would be reduced from 90 to 75 to compensate.)

New crafting recipes:

Chlorophyte Bar
Chlorophyte Ore (5)
Chlorophyte Arrow (150)
Chlorophyte Bullet (70)
Chlorophyte Bar (12)
Chlorophyte Claymore
Chlorophyte Partisan
Chlorophyte Saber
Chlorophyte Shotbow
Chlorophyte Headgear
Chlorophyte Helmet
Chlorophyte Mask
Chlorophyte Bar (18)
Chlorophyte Chainsaw
Chlorophyte Drill
Chlorophyte Greataxe
Chlorophyte Jackhammer
Chlorophyte Pickaxe
Chlorophyte Warhammer
Chlorophyte Greaves
Chlorophyte Bar (24)Chlorophyte Plate MailAdamantite Forge or Titanium Forge

Potentially, the crafting station could instead be the Autohammer. This would mean you could only break down the Chlorophyte equipment post-Plantera.
I can already see people crafting and uncrafting over and over again for free reforges on their shotbow.

I can already see people crafting and uncrafting over and over again for free reforges on their shotbow.

Maybe if you had diminishing returns by uncrafting things. If you uncrafted the swords, you’d get 8 bars back instead of 12. This way, if you try to cheat reforges it would cost you several bars per roll, and Chlorophyte upgrades are less wasteful without being “free”.

Maybe if you had diminishing returns by uncrafting things. If you uncrafted the swords, you’d get 8 bars back instead of 12. This way, if you try to cheat reforges it would cost you several bars per roll, and Chlorophyte upgrades are less wasteful without being “free”.
Revised version:

Chlorophyte BarChlorophyte Ore (5)Adamantite Forge or Titanium Forge
Chlorophyte Bar (8)
Chlorophyte Claymore
Chlorophyte Partisan
Chlorophyte Saber
Chlorophyte Shotbow
Chlorophyte Headgear
Chlorophyte Helmet
Chlorophyte Mask
Chlorophyte Bar (12)
Chlorophyte Chainsaw
Chlorophyte Drill
Chlorophyte Greataxe
Chlorophyte Jackhammer
Chlorophyte Pickaxe
Chlorophyte Warhammer
Chlorophyte Greaves
Chlorophyte Bar (16)Chlorophyte Plate MailAdamantite Forge or Titanium Forge

On second thought, it’s not necessary to have bullets and arrows be craftable back into bars. Those ammunition types are strong enough without being recyclable.

On the topic of armor and its usefulness, ever since the new alt hardmode ores (Palladium, Orichalcum, Titanium) were added I the original HM ores have felt like worse alternatives to their newer counterparts even after their buffs. Even though it's unlikely It would be nice to see them give set bonuses.

I dunno, it feels kind of weird to be able to uncraft Chlorophyte when the only other things you can uncraft in the game are platforms and walls. I think that if reducing the cost of Chlorophyte bars isn't enough, then maybe a better solution would be to change the recipes for Spectre and Shroomite bars. Both are already gated behind Plantera by other means (the hardmode dungeon and the Autohammer, respectively), so it wouldn't change their place in progression if Chlorophyte were just removed from their recipes entirely.

Having something like 2 Ectoplasm = 1 Spectre bar would probably be fine on its own, but Shroomite probably needs something more than just glowing mushrooms. Maybe Hallowed bars, idk.

After finishing Master mode summoner/a bit of ranger playthrough (hardmode was almost a pure summoner except of Queen Slime and Daytime Empress before Cultist) I can give some feedback.
Finch summon... Inaccurate and pretty weak, but for the thing you may find just at the start... Can help you get enough Flinx furs for making first gear.
Flinx summon is awesome for its tier. It keep ups with most enemies and dealing reasonable damage. If you get any whip, becomes even better.
Slime... Well, didn't get it this time but from what I know it didn't change much.
Vampire Frog... Buffed, it best contact damaging summon of prehm. Deals nice damage even to WoF.
Hornet Staff... Wouldn't say that its buff made it absolutely awesome but now it has some point to be used. Especially if you don't really like contact damage summons.
Imps... If not only its projectiles conflict with each other, would be best shooting prehm summon. Good piercing combined with some good damage. (Read that proj conflict was missed somewhere so it might get changed as I got). Decent against WoF due to piercing.
Spider minion is extremely earlyhm summon. It doesn't require hardmode anvil which makes it really easy to obtain and somewhat live in hardmode. Deals really good damage and has some knockback. Not that helpful against mobile targets, sadly.
Sanguine Staff (bats)... Just as Blade staff, has awesome accuracy and deals somewhat good damage. A hard cookie to obtain tho. Fishing in blood moon early hm is already pain but combined with neccesity of beating Dreadnautilus... Some torture on Master mode. Useful for beating Queen Slime.
Blade Staff... Pretty much the best premechs summon. With summon tag and armor piercing over enemy defense, makes Twins an absolute cakewalk. Against other two tho (mostly Destroyer), not so good.
Optic Staff... Good for crowd control and spreading damage. But it cannot really keep up with mobile targets. If Retiminis was able to shoot from far distance (not only when focused on target) would be much better summon.
Pirate Staff... Didn't get it in my whole playthrough (also not a single Black Spot) but got 3 Coin Guns. From what I heard, has nice contact damage but only on ground.
Pigmy Staff... Much better now. Shooting ground minion with decent range.
Raven Staff... Absolute best of its tier. They can mostly keep up even with Empress of Light and Fishron. Also dealing some really good damage. Defeated Daytime Empress of Light with it pre Cultist with some help of Xenopopper with Chlorophite Bullets on 2nd phase.
Tempest Staff... If you will be able to get it premechs, can defeat all mechs, Plantera and Golem without much of a pain. Overall, after projectiles getting sped up, became even better. Still, a lot of sharks were missing Empress so I had to use Ravens.
Xeno Staff... Got it after Terraprism sadly but from what I saw, enough UFOs with summon tag crit can decimate most targets post Cultist fairly quickly.
Stardust Dragon... Still the same, as for me. Biggest single hit damage of all minions. Sometimes can be really stupid.
Cells... Single target damage is really good, perfectly keep ups with most targets.
Terraprism... Godlike summon if you get it before Cultist. Defeated tier 3 of Old Ones Army with it without much of a troubles. Betsy is still a good threat as it does some good damage. Summon tag crit makes it even better (especially with Kaleidoscope).
As for Sentries, its not really a big story.
Premechs you don't have any choice other than OOA sentries _and Spider Queen in hm).
Best of them are Ballista and Explosive Trap. I would say that 1 sentry prehm feels like its nothing.
Spider Staff... From my experience, it is on par if not better than any of OOA tier 2 sentries. It deals damage multiple times and inflicts venom as well. Extremely good against single target. Sadly, has one drawback in form of its shooting distance. Very weak against mobile flying targets unless you lure enemy near.
About OOA sentries... While all of them are viable during OOA tier 2/3 events, they are on par with Spider Queen/Frost Hydra accordingly while outside of event.
Frost Hydra is really good for crowd control after buff now. Really good sentry.
Rainbow Crystal and Lunar Portal... Rainbow Crystal is not really good against mobile targets but deals pretty good damage. Lunar Portal creates a beam which will hit anything on its way so... Cannot really decide. I would personally prefer the beam.
Whips...
Leather Whip is just better than nothing. Makes minions do some more damage and allowing you to damage directly.
Snapthorn is decently good. Poisons enemies and adds +6 tag damage, which is huge prehm.
Spinal Tap... Once you get it, nothing can really make you hurt. It deals good damage, adds good tag bonus and does good against multiple targets. Feels like it was made specifically for Dungeon and WoF.
Firecracker... If you like dealing good damage by yourself, then it is a good choice. No summon tag tho.
Cool Whip... What is 10 damage in hardmode... As for me, not as much to do a good job. But it has 50 damage by itself. So, decent early hm weapon even without summons.
Durandal... Easy to craft, has good damage + summon tag. Good replacement for Spinal tap if you still using it.
Dark Harvest... Fairly fast whip with potential of crowd control weapon. As for single target, just good ranged fast whip.
Morning Star... Summon tag+crit combined with really high damage. If used in combo with Dark Harvest, becomes quite fast heavy damaging weapon.
Kaleidoscope. Best whip in the entire game. Good tag bonuses with really high range and good speed. If used in combo with Dark Harvest, becomes even faster.
Armors. That's the question.
Flinx Fur Coat. Preboss +1 minion slot. What could be better? Can also be combined with either ancient shadow scale helm and leggings (or platinum helm and legs) for getting good defense/melee speed bonus for whip.
Bee Armor. Just as good as it was.
Obsidian Armor. Gives less minions in exchange of bigger damage bonus, whips boosts and defense. Best prehm armor. But available before beating Queen Bee. That's a dilemma.
Spider Armor. Before you get Hallowed Armor, this is the best. Gives good minions boosts.
OOA tier 2 armors. Sentry based sets. Give decent defense, good damage boosts and max sentries amount. Require some grind to get it.
Hallowed Armor. As for me, best hardmode summoner armor. Gives enough minions amount + gives *shadow dodge*. Especially needed in Master mode for better survivability.
Tiki/Spooky armors. Not really different but Spooky is a direct boost for damage in exchange of some defense. Unless you need better survivability, this is the best armor before Stardust.
OOA tier 3 armors. Give high defense and big damage boosts. But sentry oriented. Not most people's choice as for me. Also, requires a TON of grind to get.
Stardust... After its set bonus being booster (*sentry*) becomes good in all ways.
As for suggestions...
Imp Staff needs some fixing for its projectile immunities.
Retiminis may need better firing range.
Cool Whip might need a buff. Either a little of tag damage or maybe snowflake should be a bit faster and with higher damage.
Obsidian Armor is a really hard question. Might need a minor damage/whips capabilities nerf.
Tiki/Spooky armors bonuses are sounding pretty lame. What, just summon damage and minions capacity and nothing more? Beetle armor gives beetle attack/defense boosts which are getting charged over time. Shroomite Armor gives you stealth ability, greatly boosting your damage output if you are staying still. Spectre Armor gives you spectre bolts homing attacks/healing. But what is so interesting in Tiki/Spooky armor set bonuses? Nothing.
Also, about whips generally...
All of them don't have autoreuse. And while I understand why (to make feral claw/further upgrades) more uses outside of melee class, you need to exchange whole accessory slot just for getting minor melee speed boost + autoreuse.
Maybe all summoner armors may have something to do with whips for encouraging player to use them?
That's my raw thoughs. Maybe anyone here has something to comment/argue with?

I dunno, it feels kind of weird to be able to uncraft Chlorophyte when the only other things you can uncraft in the game are platforms and walls. I think that if reducing the cost of Chlorophyte bars isn't enough, then maybe a better solution would be to change the recipes for Spectre and Shroomite bars. Both are already gated behind Plantera by other means (the hardmode dungeon and the Autohammer, respectively), so it wouldn't change their place in progression if Chlorophyte were just removed from their recipes entirely.

Having something like 2 Ectoplasm = 1 Spectre bar would probably be fine on its own, but Shroomite probably needs something more than just glowing mushrooms. Maybe Hallowed bars, idk.
On second thought, I think that being able to directly craft Chlorophyte armor pieces into Shroomite and Spectre armor pieces is the best solution:

Shroomite Headgear
Chlorophyte Headgear
Glowing Mushroom (180)
Chlorophyte Helmet
Glowing Mushroom (180)
Chlorophyte Mask
Glowing Mushroom (180)
Autohammer
Shroomite Helmet
Chlorophyte Headgear
Glowing Mushroom (180)
Chlorophyte Helmet
Glowing Mushroom (180)
Chlorophyte Mask
Glowing Mushroom (180)
Autohammer
Shroomite Mask
Chlorophyte Headgear
Glowing Mushroom (180)
Chlorophyte Helmet
Glowing Mushroom (180)
Chlorophyte Mask
Glowing Mushroom (180)
Autohammer
Shroomite BreastplateChlorophyte Plate Mail
Glowing Mushroom (360)
Autohammer
Shroomite LeggingsChlorophyte Leggings
Glowing Mushroom (270)
Autohammer
Spectre Mask
Chlorophyte Headgear
Ectoplasm (6)
Chlorophyte Helmet
Ectoplasm (6)
Chlorophyte Mask
Ectoplasm (6)
Mythril Anvil or Orichalcum Anvil
Spectre Hood
Chlorophyte Headgear
Ectoplasm (6)
Chlorophyte Helmet
Ectoplasm (6)
Chlorophyte Mask
Ectoplasm (6)
Spectre RobeChlorophyte Plate Mail
Ectoplasm (12)
Spectre PantsChlorophyte Leggings
Ectoplasm (9)

This may be the ideal resolution, as it’s the simplest and least disruptive, and forms a good parallel with how Beetle armor is directly crafted from Turtle armor.

Turtle armor should also be made directly craftable from Chlorophyte armor, to prevent the potential issue that melee players might disregard Chlorophyte armor because of not wanting to lock themselves out of the efficient path to Beetle armor.

Turtle Helmet
Chlorophyte Headgear
Turtle Shell (1)
Chlorophyte Helmet
Turtle Shell (1)
Chlorophyte Mask
Turtle Shell (1)
Turtle Scale MailChlorophyte Plate Mail
Turtle Shell (1)
Turtle LeggingsChlorophyte Leggings
Turtle Shell (1)

(Potentially, the crafting station could be the Autohammer instead, which would limit converting a set of Chlorophyte armor into Turtle armor to post-Plantera.)

Last edited:
After finishing Master mode summoner/a bit of ranger playthrough (hardmode was almost a pure summoner except of Queen Slime and Daytime Empress before Cultist) I can give some feedback.
Finch summon... Inaccurate and pretty weak, but for the thing you may find just at the start... Can help you get enough Flinx furs for making first gear.
Flinx summon is awesome for its tier. It keep ups with most enemies and dealing reasonable damage. If you get any whip, becomes even better.
Slime... Well, didn't get it this time but from what I know it didn't change much.
Vampire Frog... Buffed, it best contact damaging summon of prehm. Deals nice damage even to WoF.
Hornet Staff... Wouldn't say that its buff made it absolutely awesome but now it has some point to be used. Especially if you don't really like contact damage summons.
Imps... If not only its projectiles conflict with each other, would be best shooting prehm summon. Good piercing combined with some good damage. (Read that proj conflict was missed somewhere so it might get changed as I got). Decent against WoF due to piercing.
Spider minion is extremely earlyhm summon. It doesn't require hardmode anvil which makes it really easy to obtain and somewhat live in hardmode. Deals really good damage and has some knockback. Not that helpful against mobile targets, sadly.
Sanguine Staff (bats)... Just as Blade staff, has awesome accuracy and deals somewhat good damage. A hard cookie to obtain tho. Fishing in blood moon early hm is already pain but combined with neccesity of beating Dreadnautilus... Some torture on Master mode. Useful for beating Queen Slime.
Blade Staff... Pretty much the best premechs summon. With summon tag and armor piercing over enemy defense, makes Twins an absolute cakewalk. Against other two tho (mostly Destroyer), not so good.
Optic Staff... Good for crowd control and spreading damage. But it cannot really keep up with mobile targets. If Retiminis was able to shoot from far distance (not only when focused on target) would be much better summon.
Pirate Staff... Didn't get it in my whole playthrough (also not a single Black Spot) but got 3 Coin Guns. From what I heard, has nice contact damage but only on ground.
Pigmy Staff... Much better now. Shooting ground minion with decent range.
Raven Staff... Absolute best of its tier. They can mostly keep up even with Empress of Light and Fishron. Also dealing some really good damage. Defeated Daytime Empress of Light with it pre Cultist with some help of Xenopopper with Chlorophite Bullets on 2nd phase.
Tempest Staff... If you will be able to get it premechs, can defeat all mechs, Plantera and Golem without much of a pain. Overall, after projectiles getting sped up, became even better. Still, a lot of sharks were missing Empress so I had to use Ravens.
Xeno Staff... Got it after Terraprism sadly but from what I saw, enough UFOs with summon tag crit can decimate most targets post Cultist fairly quickly.
Stardust Dragon... Still the same, as for me. Biggest single hit damage of all minions. Sometimes can be really stupid.
Cells... Single target damage is really good, perfectly keep ups with most targets.
Terraprism... Godlike summon if you get it before Cultist. Defeated tier 3 of Old Ones Army with it without much of a troubles. Betsy is still a good threat as it does some good damage. Summon tag crit makes it even better (especially with Kaleidoscope).
As for Sentries, its not really a big story.
Premechs you don't have any choice other than OOA sentries _and Spider Queen in hm).
Best of them are Ballista and Explosive Trap. I would say that 1 sentry prehm feels like its nothing.
Spider Staff... From my experience, it is on par if not better than any of OOA tier 2 sentries. It deals damage multiple times and inflicts venom as well. Extremely good against single target. Sadly, has one drawback in form of its shooting distance. Very weak against mobile flying targets unless you lure enemy near.
About OOA sentries... While all of them are viable during OOA tier 2/3 events, they are on par with Spider Queen/Frost Hydra accordingly while outside of event.
Frost Hydra is really good for crowd control after buff now. Really good sentry.
Rainbow Crystal and Lunar Portal... Rainbow Crystal is not really good against mobile targets but deals pretty good damage. Lunar Portal creates a beam which will hit anything on its way so... Cannot really decide. I would personally prefer the beam.
Whips...
Leather Whip is just better than nothing. Makes minions do some more damage and allowing you to damage directly.
Snapthorn is decently good. Poisons enemies and adds +6 tag damage, which is huge prehm.
Spinal Tap... Once you get it, nothing can really make you hurt. It deals good damage, adds good tag bonus and does good against multiple targets. Feels like it was made specifically for Dungeon and WoF.
Firecracker... If you like dealing good damage by yourself, then it is a good choice. No summon tag tho.
Cool Whip... What is 10 damage in hardmode... As for me, not as much to do a good job. But it has 50 damage by itself. So, decent early hm weapon even without summons.
Durandal... Easy to craft, has good damage + summon tag. Good replacement for Spinal tap if you still using it.
Dark Harvest... Fairly fast whip with potential of crowd control weapon. As for single target, just good ranged fast whip.
Morning Star... Summon tag+crit combined with really high damage. If used in combo with Dark Harvest, becomes quite fast heavy damaging weapon.
Kaleidoscope. Best whip in the entire game. Good tag bonuses with really high range and good speed. If used in combo with Dark Harvest, becomes even faster.
Armors. That's the question.
Flinx Fur Coat. Preboss +1 minion slot. What could be better? Can also be combined with either ancient shadow scale helm and leggings (or platinum helm and legs) for getting good defense/melee speed bonus for whip.
Bee Armor. Just as good as it was.
Obsidian Armor. Gives less minions in exchange of bigger damage bonus, whips boosts and defense. Best prehm armor. But available before beating Queen Bee. That's a dilemma.
Spider Armor. Before you get Hallowed Armor, this is the best. Gives good minions boosts.
OOA tier 2 armors. Sentry based sets. Give decent defense, good damage boosts and max sentries amount. Require some grind to get it.
Hallowed Armor. As for me, best hardmode summoner armor. Gives enough minions amount + gives *shadow dodge*. Especially needed in Master mode for better survivability.
Tiki/Spooky armors. Not really different but Spooky is a direct boost for damage in exchange of some defense. Unless you need better survivability, this is the best armor before Stardust.
OOA tier 3 armors. Give high defense and big damage boosts. But sentry oriented. Not most people's choice as for me. Also, requires a TON of grind to get.
Stardust... After its set bonus being booster (*sentry*) becomes good in all ways.
As for suggestions...
Imp Staff needs some fixing for its projectile immunities.
Retiminis may need better firing range.
Cool Whip might need a buff. Either a little of tag damage or maybe snowflake should be a bit faster and with higher damage.
Obsidian Armor is a really hard question. Might need a minor damage/whips capabilities nerf.
Tiki/Spooky armors bonuses are sounding pretty lame. What, just summon damage and minions capacity and nothing more? Beetle armor gives beetle attack/defense boosts which are getting charged over time. Shroomite Armor gives you stealth ability, greatly boosting your damage output if you are staying still. Spectre Armor gives you spectre bolts homing attacks/healing. But what is so interesting in Tiki/Spooky armor set bonuses? Nothing.
Also, about whips generally...
All of them don't have autoreuse. And while I understand why (to make feral claw/further upgrades) more uses outside of melee class, you need to exchange whole accessory slot just for getting minor melee speed boost + autoreuse.
Maybe all summoner armors may have something to do with whips for encouraging player to use them?
That's my raw thoughs. Maybe anyone here has something to comment/argue with?

We’ve actually touched on a lot of stuff you said here, so I’ll summarize some things here.

-Obsidian Armor is getting a nerf for sure, not only is it better than Bee but also better than other prehardmode sets. Absolutely too strong for post-Worm tier, and can last well into Hardmode. Only question is by how much.

-Imp Staff will be corrected to not effect the *player*’s piercing shots, but will probably still be able to disrupt one another.

-I think Optic may see a buff in the form of interrupting one another less by reducing the immunity frames they inflict, although we haven’t gotten much about that. Not sure

-Leinfors said he’d ask about a buff to Cool Whip. Of course, that doesn’t mean it will happen, it means it could

-Leinfors also said that at this state in game development, having whip bonuses on lategame armors probably won’t happen.

Technically summoner armors already synergize with whips, since they buff their damage. That's reason enough to use them now that their range is decent.

That could be a cool idea, yeah. In fact, just make it so that Turtle armor is crafted from Chlorophyte armor normally, so that they're all consistent with one another. Though I guess it could confuse new players as to whether Turtle is an upgrade to Chlorophyte or a sidegrade, but I think the stats on the various armor pieces should make that apparent.

Also, this just occurred to me but it could be neat to have the True Excalibur crafted using the hardmode ore swords instead of Chlorophyte. Maybe also add in some of each mech soul if we still want it to be post-mech. It would help alleviate the Chlorophyte scarcity issue though, as well as be a nice nod to the 1.1 days when you had to combine the ore swords for regular Excalibur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom