Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I disagree with the two of you, but I'm not going to argue on the suggestion thread.
I am against the last update (mortgage "last" update) killing one of the most interesting bonuses for the set that has been in the game since 1.2, but these decisions will be made by the developers.
Uh... sir? This is only for Daytime Empress...? It’s not like we’re ruining the set, we’re just... trying to make it not work for Daytime Empress because it’s supposed to be a test of skill... not “have a free dodge every 30 seconds with a short cooldown”?

Also, an interesting direction would be nerfing the base offensive stats of Hallowed armor and adding offensive bonuses to the Holy Protection buff, so that taking damage while Holy Protection is on would actually cost you something.
I like the concept. It may not be adopted in this update, but I hope someone remembers this advice, if there are any subsequent updates... (umm, perhaps?) The idea is really good, for me.

Let me introduce my thoughts of the Hallowed armor:

Holy Protection is more like icing on a cake for skilled players, long nor short cd ain't that important. Let's think about noob players (not sure how to discribe this, just not that skilled players), maybe they do need such strong "protection" when struggling with bosses. Any increase in cd time could cause huge repercussions. If now existing Holy Protection doesn't make boss fights way too easy, I think, it should be considered prudently on changing the number directly. (Though I personally think 45 s would be appropriate, I'm just not sure it's really worth changing)

To make it a real challenge, disable Holy Protection on daytime Empress of Light will be fine, if her attacks can ignore Holy Protection, think I would approve it (I said I am the Hallowed Boss, so who's the Hallowed armor?) On the other hand, give opptunities to dodge isn't a crime. If you need some capability of fault-tolerant (is that a weird description?), Hallowed armor is a great choice. If you consider daytime Empress as a skill test, you don't have to choose Hallowed armor at all. It's mostly based on personal choice. Holy Protection isn't the one to blame.

The conclusion is I don't think there's a big problem with Hallowed armor and Holy Protection... (Some people being afraid of Hallowed armor weakens the Empress while others using cannonballs to skip the challenge, can't believe they're both happening in the same universe... I'm lost for words)

Some people suggest that make Hallowed shirt use 3 different mech boss souls to craft (don't forget the acient version!). Not very necessary, but I'm just ok with it. What do you guys think?

And for Terra Blade... It has always been buffed since it was born and maybe now for its very first nerf? lol I was astonished for a bit by its power when I first tried it since it's last update. I think its projectile dmg do need a nerf. But, if you consider it as a pre-lunar weapon, it's not that OP though. Increase sword dmg and decrease projectile dmg may be a compromise. Adding use time will be a bad idea, for me. Fast waving speed is aggressive, mighty, just powerful and strong as its name, which fits the philosophy of mine that every weapon should show its own personality and be unique just the way it is.

Last edited:
Leave the holy protection and terrablade as is. There are not as many players who knows and further more can utilize fulll potential of equipment. Average player / run won't contain statue farming invincibility machines, using of some "hidden" properties of environment. It's better decrease or "boost" the time needed for obtaining other weapons/armors. And maybe make a dd2 crossover waves a bit easier ( like diablo 2 when there are more than 1 player raise break point for each wave and so on) as the main task of every balancing is to make player hard to decide: like what will he grab - almost done terrablade or defeat man's army and get flying dragon...

Leave the holy protection and terrablade as is. There are not as many players who knows and further more can utilize fulll potential of equipment. Average player / run won't contain statue farming invincibility machines, using of some "hidden" properties of environment.
You don't need any knowledge to utilise holy protection, you just hit an enemy or boss and you get a free dodge

3 more weapon suggestions.

I hate to be the guy who repeats or spams nearly similar messages, but, as I have some experience in weapon testing (500+ hours) and there are quite a lot suggestions that were in this thread only once (Gladius, Chain Guillotines, Star Wrath, Scourge etc.), I allow myself to repeat once more, and #1–#23 buff suggestions are still here. It is better to be overpersistent that never being heard of.
+ Projectile velocity on some weapons really matters, especially with Light discs and Scourge’s tiny eaters.
Everything after #24 is new.

0. Scourge of the Corruptor’s DPS by 15%, tiny eaters’ velocity and Rainbow Gun's immunity type

1. S.D.M.G.
Is still slightly inferior to the Last Prism in damage, even with Luminite Bullets and with Vortex Stealth. The difference is 20% (28 sec. vs. 23 on JMFTW EoL, so with JMFTW Frost moon score).
Suggestions: damage increased from 85 to 100.

2. Last Prism
Add knockback (to make Mythical modifier obtainable).

3. Sky Dragon's Fury
Add knockback to Electrospheres.

4. Bananarangs
Increased drop chance up to 50+%.
Now drop in the quantities of more than 5.

5. Nail Gun.
Now it is only 5-10% better than Stynger, which is absolutely fine. However, it is rare and Nailheads are absolute nightmares to deal with. Realistically speaking, it is a well post-Golem drop.
Suggestions: buff damage from 80 to 100 just to make sure it is a viable option for post-Golem events (to compensate for that rarity, but not more).

6. Raven Staff.
Great minion after 1.4 buffs, but still struggles to keep up with fast characters. Return mode just takes too long.
Suggestion: increase return velocity.

7. Coin Gun.
Gold and Platinum ammo should pierce. 2-3 enemies for Gold and Infinitely for Platinum.

8.Flamarang.
Base damage increased from 32 to 40. Return velocity doubled.

9. Chain Gun.
It is a good idea to increase ammo efficiency and slightly decrease defense reliability.
As the fastest gun in the entire game (3 UT with Rapid modifier) it absolutely devours your ammo. Competing Xenopopper from Martian Madness event doesn't have such issues and has 15% higher real DPS, thanks to higher base damage. Additionally, since its best modifier is Rapid, it doesn't recieve 15% damage bonus from Unreal, like Xenopopper.
Suggestions: chance not to comsume ammo buffed from 50% to 75%. Base damage increased from 31 to 34.

10. Terrarian.
It's unique projectiles do not add to the total DPS. Yes, thats just like that. Everything hits 6 times per second.
Suggestions: Make projectiles non-piercing (the yoyo itself already pierces). Projectiles now deal only 50% of base damage to compensate.

11. Solar Eruption.
Being hyped as the best pillar weapon for years, it didn't age really well. ML wall cheese is dead in 1.4, Starlight with Terra Blade beat Solar Eruption at a point blank range. From the "safe" range, when you hit with the tip of the spear, you have... 1500 DPS. Terra Blade has no range issues and deals 2500. (2000 assuming likely upcomoing nerf). Range makes is a poor event choice. Influx Waver ad Terra blade beat it in moon events by more than 30%! Even Seedler + Rainbow gun are pretty much equal.
Suggestions: point-blank damage buffed by 25%, DPS falloff with range is less strict.
Debuff is stronger: an increase from 25 to 50 per tick.

12. Flairon.
Buff bubble lifetime and velocity by much. TRAE project mod did exactly that and it works wonderfully (alongside with new flail mechanics)
Simpler suggestions: velocity is tripled, projectiles can now bounce and have increased life time.

13. Possessed Hatchet.
It has lowly 380 base dps, compared to Heat Ray's 480 (+ Spectre mask bonus) and Tactical Shotgun's + Chlorophyte 420 DPS. Otherwise Hatchet is a very good weapon for bossing.
Suggestions: damage increased from 80 to 110, to make its base DPS equal to 500.

14. Star Wrath.
It should act like Lunar Flare in terms of block pierce. Projectiles should not pierce enemies (or should, but not with global immunity). Stars fall vertically, so they rarely hit more than one enemy.
Suggestions: remove i-frames from stars, make then fall through blocks
14.5. Meowmere.
Change projectile immunity type, as with Star Wrath.

15.Spirit Flame.
An exceptionally rare weapon to obtain, which still shows itself slightly worse than Crystal Serpent or Sky Fracture. Flames are the key reason, they get destroyed in confined spaces and can't chase Twins and QS reliably.
Suggestions: Buff homing velocity by a bit, make flames travel through blocks.

16.Shadowbeam Staff.
These changes are designed to make Shadowbeam Staff more viable on single enemies, while not hurting its CC potential.
Suggestions: greatly increase base damage (from 60 to 100), but heavily penaltise piercing (e.g. 30% of diminishing returns for each bounce/pierce).
If possible, make it smart-bounce.

17. Spectre Staff and Inferno Fork.
Add block penetration (optionally), like that of enemy variants of these weapons.
Add autofire to Inferno fork and buff velocity of fireballs.

18. Magnet Sphere.
It is not worth switching to it in its current state... Unlike some people say.
Key reasons: detection range, slightly low-ish DPS, projectile life time and the fact that it is destroyed by blocks.
Suggestions: Fire rate cooldown is reduced from 9 to 7. Range is doubled, Sphere Lifetime is doubled too, Sphere can’t be destroyed by blocks (or may even bounce from walls).

19. Meteor Staff.
Currently has an outrageous mana consumption of 78 m/s. For comparison, Last Prism with focused beam has 72 m/s.
Suggestions: mana cost reduced from 12 to 4 (per each cast). Sounds as a huge buff, but on practice, this is exactly what we need.
Or: Mana cost is reduced down to 8, but damage is buffed from 50 to 60-65.

20. Quad-Barrel Shotgun. Was overnerfed in 1.4.1.
On practice, 2 extra bullets per shot never hit their target, and snail use time makes it painful to use in general. Total DPS is not high either. It kills WoF (meteor shot) slower than all 3 bows and Phoenix Blaster.
Suggestions: now shoots 4 bullets per shot instead of 6, but with less spread.
Use time buffed from 55 to 40. Damage increased from 17 to 20.

21. The Undertaker
Is so much inferior to Musket.
About half as less DPS and has no autofire.
Suggestions: Now autofires. Damage buffed from 15 to 20. Use time is now 18 instead of 23.

22. Chain Guillotines
In their current state they are outclassed by all yoyos and especially Flying Knife or Life Drain in mobbing, and by Crystal Serpent and Sky Fracture in bossing. Partially due to small range, but lack of DPS drags the weapon down too.
Suggestions: Range increased by 30%. Damage buffed from 59 to 75.

23. Gladius
You may not believe, but it is worse than gold and platinum shortswords in all respects. Lack of KB can’t keep enemies at bay, and damage is equal to that of silver shortsword.
Suggestions: KB increased from 0.5 to 3 or more.
Damage increased from 15 to 20.
Use time buffed from 21 to 15.

24. Candy Corn Rifle
Increase single-target damage by 20-25%.
Chain Gun with HV is currently superior in crowd control, and is 50% (or more) better on single targets.
Projectiles are affected by gravitation a bit too strong, it really hurts EoL performance.
Suggestions: bullets are less affected by gravity, damage buffed by 20%.

25. Elf Melter
Make it pierce infinitely (currently it hits 5 enemies or so), significantly increase single-target damage.
Suggestions: infinite pierce should be added and base damage increased from 60 to 80.

26. Flamethrower
Currently has sub-optimal single-target damage. Increase it by 20%.
Suggestions: damage buffed from 35 to 45.

Minor QoL suggestion, but make the cooldown between OOA waves skippable. It would greatly decrease the tedium of the event without changing the difficulty at all.
Clicking on a jewel stand or on the jewel itself with the left mouse button will skip the waiting.

6. Raven Staff.
Great minion after 1.4 buffs, but still struggles to keep up with fast characters. Return mode just takes too long.
Suggestion: increase return velocity.
That would definitely help!
22. Chain Guillotines
In their current state they are outclassed by all yoyos and especially Flying Knife or Life Drain in mobbing, and by Crystal Serpent and Sky Fracture in bossing. Partially due to small range, but lack of DPS drags the weapon down too.
Suggestions: Range increased by 30%. Damage buffed from 59 to 75.
In tests against the Twins and Queen Slime, Chain Guillotines was already one of the best pre-mech weapons out there, about the same or better than the Light Discs. I agree it's way worse than magic and ranged weapons vs bosses at that part of the game, but all melee is pretty bad right around then, and this would just make all the other melee even further behind, I think.

25. Elf Melter
Make it pierce infinitely (currently it hits 5 enemies or so), significantly increase single-target damage.
Suggestions: infinite pierce should be added and base damage increased from 60 to 80.

26. Flamethrower
Currently has sub-optimal single-target damage. Increase it by 20%.
Suggestions: damage buffed from 35 to 45.
[/SPOILER]
Stronger flamethrowers would be cool!

That said, I feel a Fallen Star might be a little expensive for only 2 Lesser Mana Potions
They're about as rare as mushrooms when you think about it, I usually end up with a similar amount of each in my inventory when exploring the surface.
This would however require some adjusting for the Greater Mana Potion's recipe; maybe change the Crystal Shard to an herb of some kind?
You could actually swap out the shard in both greather potions and swap them a with a relevantly-themed fish; honeyfin for greater healing (as it heals you) and specualr fish for the greater mana potion (it feels quite "magicky"). If the specular fish is too cheap, maybe a flarefin koi will do.

The forum's internal spellchecker did not like this post.

I've thought of a couple more things:
  • Craft the goggles and watches at a workbench, and lose workbench/table + chair
  • Have more enemies spawned from statues:
    • Armour statue: Possessed Armour
    • Axe statue: Crimson Axe
    • Gloom Statue: Cursed Skull/Giant Cursed Skull
    • Hammer Statue: Cursed Hammer
    • Reaper Statue: Reaper
    • Sword Statue: Enchanted Sword
    • Woman Statue: Lost Girl
    • Lihzahrd Statue: Lihzahrd

Ah right! I just remembered, Jousting lances.
Make them only stop being active when hit by another player with a Jousting lance.
I know why it's there, so jousting tourney's and such can happen, but it's a weird exception to the rules of every other weapon in the game, making it this way only should make them much less awkward to use normally while still allowing this fun little mini-game thing.

It was supposed to be a proposal, but I think the translator broke something up in the translation.
Oh I see, lol

Btw I know after the Constant seed was added people were asking to make mushrooms a food item so you're less likely to starve right after starting, but I have an alternate proposal: make all healing potions, including mushrooms, reset your hunger back to 0 when used. Also on a related note, bottled water should have the same shortened potion sickness that mushrooms do, but with its recovery reduced to like 10. It would make them slightly more worth using because they won't block other potions for as long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom