Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than the bug that makes it stronger than it should be Blade staff is mostly fine.
Gelatinous Pillion is a bit on the borderline because it's generally better than any other Classic Mode mount, could go either way honestly.
Well then if that's the case then make some of the other mounts more worth using. The ancient Horn for example increases the Damage of Melee weapons by 10% to give it an edge over the Unicorn or the Pillion. Make the Reindeer bell should drop from the Santa Mech and be given a significant drop rate (I have no idea why this mount is so rare).

Edit: Make the Ancient Horn increase Damage for all classes by 6-10% to make it more worthwhile for all classes.
The thing about movement mounts is that even if they're very good, they still require skillful use of their movement to actually give you success. Nerfing movement items only serves to nerf players who are good at utilizing said movement, while not really improving balance for players who aren't, unless it's a case of extreme imbalance, which I don't think this is.
I agree wholeheartedly, most mounts take serious skill to use. The potential benefits are massive too, allowing more damaging or defensive accessories in place of movement accessories.
Definitely think it's more of a case where most Classic Mode mounts suck than Winged Slime being overpowered, looking at it now.
This is exactly what I think should be the mindset, yeah.
Mounts have a lot of potential to be great in the right hands, and I think it'd be hugely disappointing to reduce their potential.
I don't disagree that there are a lot of mounts that are bad, however Pillion certainly isn't fine as-is. Winged Slime has 2.66 seconds of flight time (which is more than all pre-mech wings), negates fall damage, can glide, and has a hover. Just those things completely replace wings without taking up an accessory slot, and I haven't even mentioned its exceptionally high vertical speed, very good horizontal speed, great acceleration, and enemy bouncing. Also not being able to dash isn't an issue because it's not very hard to just unmount, dash, then mount again. You shouldn't be able to achieve such great movement from something with basically no opportunity cost and no investment into movement. Besides the mounts that are obviously lacking in viability, mounts are generally fine since they have a niche that doesn't replace all other forms of movement, like Superheated Blood or Blessed Apple, which are not good choices for all movement. Pillion, on the other hand, has insane vertical speed, horizontal speed and acceleration that completely invalidates the potential for other forms of movement to be viable. You shouldn't be able to achieve better movement with a mount that's literally free to than you would with a movement-oriented build which restricts you from investing defensively or offensively.

What GoldenTerrabyte said about mounts requiring skillful use of their movement to be give you success applies to some mounts, the best example being Witch's Broom, however Gelatinous Pillion is not one of them.

Because, unlike the Ankh shield, it's nowhere near as helpful with its incredibly situational stats that you won't need at that point of the game. The amount of grinding it requires results in an accessory that is incredibly underwhelming, especially since amphibian boots still exist. You really could've spent that time in hard mode grinding for Ankh shield instead.
Who's grinding for the Terrapsarks? Not everything has to be part of progression, there is no reason to grind for them, and them being "incredibly situational" is all the more reason they don't need to be any easier to obtain.
This isn't an e-sport, there is no reason why Terraspark boots should be made "easier to obtain" or why they should be made "combat viable" as some others have suggested, they're fine the way they are.
Making the components much easier to obtain could give them some more time to shine before you reach a point in the game where they lose a majority of their usefulness. I also kind of wish that I could use Terraspark more often in playthroughs without having to put in a ton of work every time.
They don't lose the ability to do things in hardmode, so how do they "lose a majority of their usefulness"? They're simply a fun side-grade for when you manage to obtain all the parts, there's no need for them because you have other options, there is no need for you to put in a ton of work.
If every time you want to make then you dread collecting the parts, then maybe you shouldn't, because clearly you're not one of the people they were made for.

I don't disagree that there are a lot of mounts that are bad, however Pillion certainly isn't fine as-is. Winged Slime has 2.66 seconds of flight time (which is more than all pre-mech wings), negates fall damage, can glide, and has a hover. Just those things completely replace wings without taking up an accessory slot, and I haven't even mentioned its exceptionally high vertical speed, very good horizontal speed, great acceleration, and enemy bouncing. Also not being able to dash isn't an issue because it's not very hard to just unmount, dash, then mount again. You shouldn't be able to achieve such great movement from something with basically no opportunity cost and no investment into movement. Besides the mounts that are obviously lacking in viability, mounts are generally fine since they have a niche that doesn't replace all other forms of movement, like Superheated Blood or Blessed Apple, which are not good choices for all movement. Pillion, on the other hand, has insane vertical speed, horizontal speed and acceleration that completely invalidates the potential for other forms of movement to be viable. You shouldn't be able to achieve better movement with a mount that's literally free to than you would with a movement-oriented build which restricts you from investing defensively or offensively.

What GoldenTerrabyte said about mounts requiring skillful use of their movement to be give you success applies to some mounts, the best example being Witch's Broom, however Gelatinous Pillion is not one of them.
Interesting. Pillion is a divisive mount to be sure, I'm honestly not really sure how to feel about it balancewise still.
I've used it, it's good, really, really good. No other Classic Mode mount really comes close in terms of generalist usage.
Even just using it for falling faster like I have makes it an invaluable asset,
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a small nerf to it's flying power. It's not really the reason I use it anyway.

On that note though...
I would still really like if the UFO was made statistically identical to Witch's Broom, making any difference purely cosmetic. The Goat Skull and Blessed Apple mounts have the same stats.
And Brain Scrambler had it's damage buffed by 50! Just so it could keep up with Toy Tank, I don't see why this couldn't be the case.

And Brain Scrambler had it's damage buffed by 50! Just so it could keep up with Toy Tank, I don't see why this couldn't be the case.

Brain Scrambler's damage was buffed as a compensation for the fact that we had to decrease its range (its aiming systems had a surprisingly heavy performance impact on the game, and we had to reduce them for non-balance purposes). It had nothing to do with Toy Tank or any other mounts.

Brain Scrambler's damage was buffed as a compensation for the fact that we had to decrease its range (its aiming systems had a surprisingly heavy performance impact on the game, and we had to reduce them for non-balance purposes). It had nothing to do with Toy Tank or any other mounts.
Okay but riddle me this, why does the UFO have to just be objectively weaker than the Witch's Broom man?
I just wanna go vroom vroom on the UFO but there's no reason to! It may as well not exist in Expert and above...
Sadness.

Eh, I never liked mount mobility anyways. Too slow and static for my taste. I really only use mounts for massive burst mobility in a single direction, stuff like Black Spot for aerial kiting (even post nerf it dunks on Queen Slime phase 2 kiting) Blessed Apple/Goat Skull and Hexxed Branch for massive groundspeed (Hexxed Branch is practically airstrafing lmao and they're useful if i dont want to bother with an asphalt arena for Empress) and Slime mounts for downward mobility and that's it. Infinite flight mounts are too sluggish for my taste and hardware setups unless they have massive speed and acceleration like Fishron under rain (which involves beating Fishron and being under rain for a boss, both of which are a rarity in my runs and hence have only used it once for yoyos only master mode ML). Winged Slime mechanics are too unintuitive for me to consider replacing Wings for it.

Insignia boosted Empress Wings hits 112+ on ascent while having an horizontal air speed of above 42 and is constantly supplemented by Ninja Gear dashes and add Slime's 102 downward...why use flying mounts? Featherfall with Balloons are also another massive burst of height when stacked properly while also boosting subpar wings to workable levels in a pinch. I guess some people can actually use infinite flight mounts but I never really got the appeal.

Last edited:
No offense but, why are you in this thread then? If you're just gonna dismiss balance/meta discussion as "Terraria isn't an e-sport" and such, why even participate?
Because I play this game too, I have just as much worth in this discussion as everyone else, I have input on this discussion and I am going to share it.

Also in my full post, I first asked them why they're grinding for a QoL optional item like they're competing in some sort of competition.
Their suggestions all seem kind of silly for a casual game like Terraria where the main goal is to collect and build things for fun, making Terraspark boots easier to get feels like it would lessen the experience of making them.

I noticed someone suggesting that the undead miner could be made to spawn more often if you only wore the mining helmet for example. Why not have that apply to other rare enemies as well, like The Groom, Dr Bones, etc. In those cases, if you wear the tuxedo shirt/pants, or both, and same with the archaeology set, the chance of those respective enemies would increase. I don't see too big of a reason for these enemies being so rare, this would help a lot with grinding for those rare banners.

Because I play this game too, I have just as much worth in this discussion as everyone else, I have input on this discussion and I am going to share it.
This is fully unrelated to the fact you're complaining about people talking about balance & optimal play, in a thread exactly focusing on balance & optimal play. Some people like us here likes to play Terraria and trying to come up with the best strategies & builds in different parts of the game, so we come here to discuss what to change to enhance the optimization aspect of the game. Read the room.

When hardmode is activated, perhaps all slimes, or just hardmode exclusive slimes (excluding queen slime minions) could have a small chance to drop hardmode ores, like how slimes can currently drop basic phm ores with a low chance. Wouldn't be efficient, but another source of renewable hardmode ores doesn't hurt.

This is fully unrelated to the fact you're complaining about people talking about balance & optimal play, in a thread exactly focusing on balance & optimal play. Some people like us here likes to play Terraria and trying to come up with the best strategies & builds in different parts of the game, so we come here to discuss what to change to enhance the optimization aspect of the game. Read the room.
Terraspark Boots are not something meant for everyone to use on every playthrough, you say you like to "come up with the best strategies & builds in different parts of the game" but here you're trying to mold to the game to fit you specifically, I'm asking you to consider how would other people feel about your changes? Does everyone want Terraspark boots to be easier to obtain?
Ultimately it's not you or me we have to convince of anything, Leinfors and the ReLogic team have the final say, but it's worth discussing these things with other users.

I've made several suggestions already, I'm just opposed to the idea of making Terraspark components easier to obtain because it seems unnecessary and like it would only lessen the experience of putting it together.
Sorry if my opinion comes off as complaining, I'm just here for an honest discussion.

One minor clarification here, but the game checks all of your 4 personal storages (Piggy Bank, etc) for the presence of the accessories as well. You still need to keep them in one of them, but they don't have to be strictly equipped/inventory to be removed from the listing.
Good thing to know.
May I ask if this could be also done to items that you need to have in your inventory for a specific NPC to spawn (like bombs for Demolitionist).

Excuse me but I can't find thread about issues and bugs. Could someone do me a favour by posting a link to the one?!

Dunno if this falls within the realm of doable changes, but I just had this idea.

Let the player warp to pylons from anywhere, when they have a cellphone in their inventory. Gives a bit more utility to the phone while also fixing one of the annoyances of pylons. Makes thematic sense too since it's already a warping item and isn't just a free change since you still have to go through the trouble of crafting the cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom