Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one short idea

Make the falling angle of Blood Rain Bow and Blizzard Staff be affected by wind. (Just the angle is adjusted. Projectiles will still pass through the cursor.)
It's rain and blizzard after all.

Last edited:
I have two more important things.

First, the enemies.
Corrupt Goldfish is the only evil pet that appears naturally. For balance, the Vicious Goldfish should also appear naturally. There should also be a small chance for bad bunnies to naturally spawn in the evil forest biome and evil penguins to spawn naturally into the evil snow biome.

Second, there is a matter of the bestiary.
Why is Martian Saucer the only mini-boss appearing in the boss tab? It does not look good. Please remove it from this tab, or add the remaining mini-bosses (dropping Master Mode items) to it.
It's a pity that Dreadnautilus and maybe Mothron aren't mini-bosses.

Make it so that certain enemies can spawn below the player, instead of just left/right. Having to build special farms just for a few banners is very irritating. Specifically, Spore Skeletons/Zombies, World Feeders and all sandstorm mobs will only spawn left/right of the payer, not below.

I've had my mushroom mob farm on banner mode for an hour, and this is what's been obtained:
View attachment 354479
As you can see, no Spore Skeletons/Zombies. [EDIT: If they're meant to be rare creatures, make hem show up on the Lifeform Analyser].

The body of water that the Corrupt Goldfish & Fungo Fish spawn in is 4x2, and I've still got 3 Fungo Fish banners; 3 more than Spore Skeletons/Zombies.
Arent the spore undead surface mushroom biome monsters? Isnt that why you arent getting any?

Also, Sandstorm enemies DO spawn below you. But they can only spawn on sand blocks if theres 5-6 sandblocks below it. I know because I made an artificial Sandstorm farm and had quite some difficulty getting it to work initially.

Besides, a simple and interesting idea, after defeating Moon Lord, Golden Slimes will rarely appear on ordinary worlds. This will allow them to be entered in the bestiary.

Also, after defeating King Slime, we should receive a bestiary entry for Spike Slimes.
I absolutely agree with both of these. As far as I remember, every other boss that has minions (such as Queen Slime) have the bestiary update to have those minions' pages listed, why not have this apply to Spiked Slimes too? If them being unavailable in classic worlds is really an issue, then either killing King Slime adds them to the bestiary anyways, or maybe Slime Statues have a chance of spawning a Spiked Slime, even in classic mode? That would solve the issue of Spiked Slimes being expert-exclusive without requiring a new statue item (which is likely outside the scope of this balance change update).
And Golden Slimes being able to spawn in normal worlds post-Moon Lord would honestly be a great change, since it means the bestiary could be completed in almost every world. The only issue would be the problem of demons and bunnies in For the Worthy, so here's my proposal to fix those two: After defeating the Wall of Flesh, regular demons and bunnies have a 10% chance to spawn in place of their voodoo/explosive counterparts. This would allow the bestiary to be 100% completed even in For the Worthy, at least after Golden Slimes are made available in normal worlds.
It'd be great if the number of kills required was dependent on the number of stars in general.

EDIT:
Something like this:
1* = 50 kills
2* = 40 kills
3* = 30 kills
4* = 20 kills
5* = 10 kills
This would be a nice convenience for non-boss enemies, but would it apply to banners too, or just bestiary entries? I think having it apply to banners would be nice, since rarer enemies' (such as Nymphs') banners and bestiary entries are far too difficult to obtain as-is, and the banners don't give enough of a benefit to really be worth getting 50 kills currently.

It'd be great if the number of kills required was dependent on the number of stars in general.

EDIT:
Something like this:
1* = 50 kills
2* = 40 kills
3* = 30 kills
4* = 20 kills
5* = 10 kills

The Bestiary rarity stars have very little direct correlation with actual rarity of finding most of the entries. There are some comparably common entries which a high rarity rating, and some very rare enemies with a middle/low star count.

The Bestiary rarity stars have very little direct correlation with actual rarity of finding most of the entries. There are some comparably common entries which a high rarity rating, and some very rare enemies with a middle/low star count.
Why?

There is virtually no way to truly automatically quantify the rarity of enemies in a systematic manner. The spawn rate system is not that simplified. It's always going to be subjective to some degree.

For instance, Nymphs are infamous for being "rare", but are actually reasonably common pre-HM, but are rarely seen because they do not pursue the player unless approached. They aren't even close to the rarest enemy pre-HM, and even in Hardmode when they become more rare, they still aren't even in the top 5 rarest enemies. And yet their reputation remains, because of subjective perception.

Any way to reliably fight plantera multiple times without having to rebuild an arena would be very nice, especially for higher difficulties when someone might fail the boss several times before defeating it. A craftable spawn item would be very helpful, or even just raising bulb rates

I think I would also take this time to remind that the scope of my changes is almost always going to be limited to stat changes or minor adjustments to pre-existing content.

I am not going to be able to:
- Add new items or enemies
- Make new UI menus, or overhaul/change pre-existing ones
- Create new mechanics or systems
- Engage in major overhauls to things like spawn mechanics or enemy behavior
- Make new attack/combat for weapons

I think the past day or two has seen a shift towards "suggestions for new stuff" and that isn't something I'll be able to address.

Yeah, I knew that they wouldn’t work. And anyways, the point of the Sniper Rifle is to be able to zoom, so being able to turn that off is like a waste of coding and time.

If rarity matters (it's totally okay if not!):

I sort the tables on the wiki by rarity a lot to see weapons in order of strength/progression, and some weapons always stick out:

Queen Bee weapon and accessory drops are all orange except for Bee Gun (green) and honeycomb (green). Might make sense to make them orange.

Abigail's flower is orange difficulty but is available without even moving from start (just die and wait). Blue would make more sense. Slime Staff is light red, for hardmode weapons; should be blue or green (unless it's a joke about availability!)

Biome mimic drops are randomly split between pink and light purple (Flesh Knuckles is one color and Putrid Scent is another). Pink would probably make more sense (a lot of purple is post-one-mech drops from enemies).

Drippler Crippler, Sanguine Staff and Blood thorn are light red, should probably be pink to match other tough mini-boss rewards. In pre-hardmode, blood rain bow is orange, higher than dungeon and deerclops drops, should probably be green.

Seedler is pink, wasp gun and grenade launcher are yellow, both should probably be lime, which is what the other drops are.

North Pole is the only weapon from either 'moon' to be lime, most are yellow.

Obsidian Swodfish is Lime, should probably be Light red.

Death Sickle is the only Light Purple weapon from Solar Eclipse; most of them are yellow.

Seedler is pink, wasp gun and grenade launcher are yellow, both should probably be lime, which is what the other drops are.

Death Sickle is the only Light Purple weapon from Solar Eclipse; most of them are yellow.
Other accessories that should probably be changed are the 2 paladin shield tinkers and recon scope. It makes no sense that a yellow rarity accessory gets tinkers that are a lower then itself.

As for death sickle, that might be because it's the only solar eclipse weapon that is pre-plantera, the rest only drop from post-plantera enemies.

The terraprisma should also have a higher rarity at least on par with the other Empress weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom