Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reminding to all of you that this thread is about ITEM balancing, not about BALANCE IN GENERAL OR FEATURE SUGGESTIONS. (Also @Leinfors It's definitely clear that we need separate threads for discussing bosses and gameplay; any plans?)

About staff of regrowth:
What about making it capable of auto-planting seeds in place of fully grown blooming only plants ?

Last edited:
In case Leinfors didn't see my edits (He probably did; I'm just making sure):

Also ask about the Spectre Pickaxe if you want. Apparently, it's incredibly bad at mining for its tier.

A weird idea: Maybe having the entire map revealed once Moon Lord is defeated? I feel like that would be a nice bonus that wouldn't break anything.

A less-weird idea: How about giving statues a chance of spawning golden critters? This would be very helpful for completing the bestiary.

I'm reminding to all of you that this thread is about ITEM balancing, not about BALANCE IN GENERAL OR FEATURE SUGGESTIONS. (Also @Leinfors It's definitely clear that we need separate threads for discussing bosses and gameplay; any plans?)
I would really like several threads for some stuff, but i don't know, maybe it would be very clustered for @Leinfors to read

Could all hanging items be made hangable from hammered platforms? Right now banners can hang from platforms, but not light sources. It's a really weird inconsistency.

About staff of regrowth:
What about making it capable of auto-planting seeds in place of fully grown blooming only plants ?

No new threads, this one is about to close anyway. :)

One final thing before the thread closes: buff potions. The overpowered ones have already been adressed in the past, so let’s bring up some underpowered ones.

-Calming. Currently not remotely enough of an effect to be worth dealing with the hassle to gather en masse. Personally, it should last way longer (like minimum 20 minutes) because of the scenarios it will be used in, and I’d say it should have a greater impact on spawn rates.

-Ammo Reservation. It straight up probably takes longer to get a double cod than to gather the resources for 20% more ammo. The ammo reservation rate could use to be higher, or the buff could last a very long time (in this case, probably an hour, because no offensive bonus and it’s meant to be an anti-grind potion).

-Luck Potion. Same deal as Ammo Reservation but to a much greater degree. Pearls frankly need to be a lot more common, I doubt it saves more time than it takes to obtain in grinding. Or, it could get the same treatment as the previous two and just last a really long time.

-Inferno Potion. First thing’s first, I’d say it should probably only cost a Flarefin Koi. Obsidifish are already used in another (more valuable) potion now anyway, so it has no reason to be one of the only potions to use two separate fishes. The damage should also tick more often in order to hit damageable projectiles reliably, and I think it could probably inflict some small knockback to help disrupt enemies (because frankly, its damage will inevitably scale really poorly).

-Thorns. Not sure how this would be fixed, but it’s not impressive. The recipe is insane, and the damage return is not that good either. I wonder if, on top of increasing damage return, it’d be possible to use the banner system to make it respond to projectile hits. If not, perhaps its damage should be in a wide AoE.

-Titan. Only use case I’ve ever found for this was melee WoF, which is not a valuable niche in my personal opinion considering you don’t want to use melee weapons on the Wall anyway. If this were early game, it might see a lot more worth (disruption is important early on when you lack mobility). Changing the recipe to accomodate that and putting it in wood and gold chests would be nice.

-Flask of Gold [and, by extention, Golden Bullets]. Midas isn’t a very good farming debuff considering you have better uses for flasks and a lot of enemy grinders won’t use melee weapons or guns to manually apply Midas. I remember suggesting an idea that Midas would spread to other enemies on death to make it more useful for AFK farms (and, it *is* named after the Midas Touch). That’s probably out of scope, but I thought it sounded cool.

Some changes to make True Swords not feel janky or scale inconsistently with stats:-

Terra blade has its usetime (beam firerate) separated from the requirement of having a new swing start (i.e swing like 1.3 swords such as influx waver) and consequently usetime increased to 16/18 because that's the values I find most terra blade users getting with melee speed bonuses.

Similar changes to True Night's Edge and True Excalibur, though I haven't been able to find the need to readjust the usetime of these (though I still haven't analysed these well enough to know if they do yet)

Finally, True Excalibur gets autoswing because apparently it doesn't have that yet (feral claws muddle my memories too much to know for sure)

Regarding buff potions:

Invisibility potion could possibly drop its cancelling mechanic after taking damage. It hinders usage of the potion which doesn't seem that powerful at all.

Warmth potion could give immunity to chilled and frozen debuffs. It would be both useful against ice related enemies and is thematically fitting.

Thorns could feature a small contact damage reduction bonus. I'd say even 10% could make a big difference for potion usefulness.

Going off of what @Kirby Eevee said, dye plants need to be more common in general. Marigolds and blueberries are probably fine considering they spawn on the surface and in an accessible biome, but the other dye plants need to be more common. Strange plants could also be made a bit more common if they are to stay as hardmode exclusive.

One last thing: add a crafting recipe for the lihzahrd work bench, I don't see a reason as to why this furniture piece in particular does not have a recipe.

Last edited:
Going off of what @Kirby Eevee said, dye plants need to be more common in general. Marigolds and blueberries are probably fine considering they spawn on the surface and in an accessible biome, but the other dye plants need to be more common. Strange plants could also be made a bit more common if they are to stay as hardmode exclusive.

One last thing: add a crafting recipe for the lihzahrd work bench, I don't see a reason as to why this furniture piece in particular does not have a recipe.
Lihzahrd Work Bench isn't craftable just like Obsidian one, Dungeon, and i don't know if there's more, but it is intentional, i just don't know why.

Lihzahrd Work Bench isn't craftable just like Obsidian one, Dungeon, and i don't know if there's more, but it is intentional, i just don't know why.
All other lihzahrd furniture is craftable except the statues and workbench. With obsidian, it's like dungeon furniture which generally isn't craftable. Lihzahrd work bench is an outlier in terms of not being craftable.

If you lock / unlock your hotbar in multiplayer and save and exit, this change won't be saved. (But it's saved in single player)

I cannot reproduce this in any form, either with the dedicated server or host and play. Could you provide more details? If need be, feel free to PM me.

I have an amazing suggestion for Lime Kelp but i don't know if it's possible

Make them placeable one on top of the other!
Like long kelp for ocean building! ^^

That would require respriting and definitely some code work above my level.

Inferno Potion is fine as is because its useful at destroying projectiles from imps and dungeon casters. High damage isnt needed when it has that functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom