Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please remove destroying gravestones spawning ghosts. My friend and I are playing Expert and it is making an endess cycle of us dying, destroying our gravestones, getting killed by spawned ghosts, destroying the new gravestones, getting killed by even more ghosts, etc.

Please remove destroying gravestones spawning ghosts. My friend and I are playing Expert and it is making an endess cycle of us dying, destroying our gravestones, getting killed by spawned ghosts, destroying the new gravestones, getting killed by even more ghosts, etc.

I honestly don't understand the problem with Ghosts. They seem to be weaker than Zombies to me, and that's on Master.

I also think the Finch Staff should be more common to make starting as a summoner easier.
Speaking of that weapon, I think I can safely say during my pre-hard mode playthrough of master mode that the Finch staff is really bad.

It doesn't really fly into enemies that well often missing its target, hit it a few times, and then fly away.

It results in a very low and inconsistent DPS that doesn't do a good job at doing what it is supposed to.

But that's not all, it could also fly right behind the enemy and hit it right towards you.

I lost count the number of times that happened, which resulted in me dying more often than not.

This thing isn't a good early summon a weapon, it's a liability that hurts you more often than not.

I would suggest making it more accurate at hitting the enemy and lower the knock back a bit to prevent it from hitting enemies back towards me.

I honestly don't understand the problem with Ghosts. They seem to be weaker than Zombies to me, and that's on Master.

They are flying through walls and surprise killing us when we are trying to mine. We started to sit on top of our base and wait on them to come out of the floor, which is getting tedious.

I don't think the new Pirate's Curse enemy (which spawns when a Pirate Captain is defeated) is in the Bestiary. It should probably be added at some point.

I also think your current luck stat should be shown. I don't know of any game that doesn't do that.

I also think an easy way to carry ladybug luck with you would be nice.

Edit: added another suggestion

I've heard lots of people say that defense is a useless stat in master mode, so here's a thought experiment:

What if instead of granting +X defense, accessory modifiers instead granted a +X% reduction in damage taken? Would that make a defensive approach worth considering? Warding would grant +3%, Armored would grant +2%, Guarding would grant +1%, and Hard would be removed.
Those people are mistaken, defence is pretty valuable since it has a 1.0 multiplier on damage reduction in Master. Pretty good if you ask me.

Speaking of that weapon, I think I can safely say during my pre-hard mode playthrough of master mode that the Finch staff is really bad.

It doesn't really fly into enemies that well often missing its target, hit it a few times, and then fly away.

It results in a very low and inconsistent DPS that doesn't do a good job at doing what it is supposed to.

But that's not all, it could also fly right behind the enemy and hit it right towards you.

I lost count the number of times that happened, which resulted in me dying more often than not.

This thing isn't a good early summon a weapon, it's a liability that hurts you more often than not.

I would suggest making it more accurate at hitting the enemy and lower the knock back a bit to prevent it from hitting enemies back towards me.

Doesn't the Sanguine Staff have a similar issue?

The Slime Staff should have a higher drop rate than it does now. I find it rather absurd that one of the few pre-hardmode summon weapons has a drop rate of 1 in 10,000. Realistically, you're rarely going to get it. It should have a more solid place in the progression. This could be solved by increasing its drop chance to something like 1 in 500 (0.2%), or making it a consistent drop from King Slime.

Also, there are some slime enemies that don't currently drop it: Lava Slime, Dungeon Slime, Umbrella Slime, Corrupt Slime, Crimslime, and Rainbow Slime. These should probably gain it as a drop, for consistency's sake.

Last edited:
The Cool Whip's snowflake projectile is honestly what Frost armor's set bonus should have been. Is it too late to switch them? i.e.

Frost armor: melee and ranged attacks will spawn a snowflake projectile that targets nearby enemies
Cool Whip: while held, minions inflict frostburn, and hitting enemies with frostburn causes attack speed to increase

I know that torch luck has mostly been fixed (i.e. It can't negatively affect overall luck anymore), but I would still like to see regular torches be neutral in terms of torch luck for every biome. Having one of the most basic items in the game negatively affect torch luck-based farming seems like a minor flaw to me.

Reading Slendyproject's and Someguyfromtheinternet's posts about the NPC happiness system, I have an idea as an alternative aid to mitigate the current problem: Make the Painter's biome paintings either satisfy a NPC's favorite biome or at least nullify their current negative biome mood. That would also make those biome paintings (and the Painter's pseudo-sidequest) more worthwhile to obtain.
Another thing I noticed in regards to building: Dungeon brick walls still cannot be crafted back into blocks, and their platforms are uncraftable either way. Maybe their recipes could be made available when in the Graveyard mini-biome, along with the slab and tile wall variants.

Last edited:
The Slime Staff should have a higher drop rate than it does now. I find it rather absurd that one of the few pre-hardmode summon weapons has a drop rate of 1 in 10,000. Realistically, you're rarely going to get it. It should have a more solid place in the progression. This could be solved by increasing its drop chance to something like 1 in 500 (0.2%), or making it a consistent drop from King Slime.

Also, there are some slime enemies that don't currently drop it: Lava Slime, Dungeon Slime, Umbrella Slime, Corrupt Slime, Crimslime, and Rainbow Slime. These should probably gain it as a drop, for consistency's sake.

I would like to see Slime Staff craftable using a Wand of Sparking and 99 Gel.

It's not a huge deal, but I would like to see happiness not negatively affect prices, at least not to the extent that they do now. Punishing players for building the way they want in a sandbox game with fleshed out building mechanics seems kinda silly to me and goes against a lot of the game's appeal.

Edit: fixed an error

It's not a huge deal, but I would like to see happiness not negatively affect prices, at least not to the extent that they do now. Punishing players for building the way they want in a sandbox game with fleshed out building mechanics seems kinda silly to me and goes against a lot of the game's appeal.

Edit: fixed an error
It would be interesting if there were an option on world creation to enable or disable NPC happiness and Pylons. That way, you could decide if you wanted to use the new system or the old system for that world.

Also, I feel you the restrictions on how many NPCs you can have together in one place should be more lax. Maybe if the ceiling before overcrowding starts to affect NPC happiness could be increased by two. And overcrowding really shouldn't affect the Party Girl (or she should at least have a much higher tolerance).

It would be interesting if there were an option on world creation to enable or disable NPC happiness and Pylons. That way, you could decide if you wanted to use the new system or the old system for that world.

Also, I feel you the restrictions on how many NPCs you can have together in one place should be more lax. Maybe if the ceiling before overcrowding starts to affect NPC happiness could be increased by two. And overcrowding really shouldn't affect the Party Girl (or she should at least have a much higher tolerance).

If wouldn't include Pylons with that switch. Pylons are extremely useful as a gameplay mechanic, making fast travel around your world almost trivial. Being able to go deep underground with the click of a button is so convenient. I personally don't like the happiness system, but want to still be able to set up towns for pylons.

Yeah, happiness would be a lot better if the overcrowding didn't start happening until you have five or more NPCs close together.

There’s a lot of posts here so I’m not sure if this has already been suggested, but can something be done about dashing being locked to double tapping the forward button? Like it’s impossible for me to use the shield of Cthulhu or the master ninja gear. It’s way too easy to dash by accident like this. I would really like if I could map dashing to a single button to fix this.

I 100% second this. I was actually hoping and looking for this change when I saw some keybinding changes. Double tap dash is unreliable for me, it doesn't go off when wanted and goes off all the time when building or idling. I tend to just sell the shield whenever I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom