Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weapon is basicly just a hallowed repeater with jester's arrows after the hallowed repeater got buffed.
Yeah, Stake Launcher may be even worse than I imagined, its best use is to unironically hunt vampires during an eclipse.
Wind isn't hidden! A rare accesory gained from a completely unrelated quest, that otherwise provides no useful function to anything else tells you the speed of the wind, in this one situation where it actually effects something.

Though I realized I'm blaming the wind for something it is not entirely to blame of: North Pole isn't as good to fight enemies you did encounter at this stage of the game, it can DESTROY The Destroyer and you can deal a lot of damage by making all snowflakes fall over an enemy's head, but the latter is extremely hard to pull of even without wind and there is a lot other weapons at this point of the game that can bully The Destroyer just as well. North Pole don't excel against OOA, Martians or Duke Fishron, let alone the Celestial Pillars...
Yeah, I think it kinda deserves a buff.

The spreadsheet is currently private (requires to send request to be seen), you should probably open it.
Fishron drops sure are quite powerful though, some of them compete with pillar weapons in terms of efficiency. Out of moons I can only remember Razorpine, Blizzard Staff, North Pole (sometimes) and Chain Gun being any close. Fishron Wings are a lot stronger than any event wings. The only class that will do moons rather commonly is Summoner since it means access to Spooky Armor and scrolls (+3 relative slots and ton of damage upgrade), while also not really requiring high waves to get both.

Would be interesting to see EoL drops being added to the comparison as well. From rough estimation they are sliiiightly better than what Fishron offers.
Oops! That's what I get for making spreadsheets late at night. It should work now. link.
edit: EoL weapons have been added.
Making this spreadsheet made me realize just how insignificant a single summon's damage is.

Last edited:
Well, summons also have the "fire and forget" thing going -- they generally keep doing damage without further action on your part.
To make up for it, you either have an armor set with extremely low defense or one that only gives you sentries. You don't focus on dodging because you're less busy, you HAVE to focus on dodging so you don't die.

By the way, though the spreadsheet works pretty accurately for the most part, I did like to share some examples of practical DPS
Keep in mind some of these are extremely hard to archive on normal circumstances

Snowman Cannon (mini nuke): 650~ DPS
North Pole (single target, mechanical glove and warrior emblem): 320~ DPS
North Pole (single target, aiming upwards, no wind, mechanical glove and warrior emblem): 1000~ DPS
North Pole (carpet bombing 10 targets, mechanical glove and warrior emblem): 1600~ DPS
Snowman Cannon (mini nuke, 8 targets): 5200~ DPS
Blizzard Staff (w/o mana sickness) 1200~ DPS

By the way, though the spreadsheet works pretty accurately for the most part, I did like to share some examples of practical DPS
Keep in mind some of these are extremely hard to archive on normal circumstances

Snowman Cannon (mini nuke): 650~ DPS
North Pole (single target, mechanical glove and warrior emblem): 320~ DPS
North Pole (single target, aiming upwards, no wind, mechanical glove and warrior emblem): 1000~ DPS
North Pole (carpet bombing 10 targets, mechanical glove and warrior emblem): 1600~ DPS
Snowman Cannon (mini nuke, 8 targets): 5200~ DPS
Blizzard Staff (w/o mana sickness) 1200~ DPS
It is very hard to pinpoint an accurate DPS. A range of possible DPSes might be more helpful. Keep in mind that the DPS listed in the spreadsheet is against an enemy with 0 defense. High defense penalizes fast firing weapons a lot more than slow weapons. A defense of 50 (Fishron's and EoL's defense) will reduce the Chain gun's DPS significantly more than it will, say, the Snowman Cannon's. This should also be taken in account when buffing/nerfing weapons. Also the Blizzard staff can actually reach 1500 DPS against a single target with no defense, that is if every single icicle hits the enemy.
  • Chain gun + Chlorophyte bullets is used with no armor or accessories, 41 damage per pellet turns into 16 dmg per pellet -> damage is cut by 60%
  • Snowman Cannon + Rocket Is is used, 107 damage per rocket turns into 82 damage per rocket -> damage is only cut by 23%
When armor and accessories are used (critical hits are not calculated):
  • Chain gun + Chlorophyte bullets with Shroomite armor (no stealth, no reforges), wrath potion, ranger, avenger, destroyer emblem -> 84% increased damage -> base 41 dmg per pellet turns into 75 dmg per pellet turns into 50 dmg per pellet after defense -> damage is "only" cut by 33%; ichor allows damage to be only cut by 20%: this means ichor increases Chain gun's damage by nearly 20%. Not cut as strongly but still a very significant damage cut.
  • Snowman Cannon + Rocket Is is used with the same setup -> 84% increased damage -> base 107 damage turns into 196 dmg turns into 171 dmg after defense -> damage is cut by 13%. Ichor reduces that cut to just a 8% damage decrease (aka a mere 5% damage increase from no ichor)
Nevermind critical hits which are calculated before defense.

It is very hard to pinpoint an accurate DPS. A range of possible DPSes might be more helpful. Keep in mind that the DPS listed in the spreadsheet is against an enemy with 0 defense. High defense penalizes fast firing weapons a lot more than slow weapons. A defense of 50 (Fishron's and EoL's defense) will reduce the Chain gun's DPS significantly more than it will, say, the Snowman Cannon's. This should also be taken in account when buffing/nerfing weapons. Also the Blizzard staff can actually reach 1500 DPS against a single target with no defense, that is if every single icicle hits the enemy.
  • Chain gun + Chlorophyte bullets is used with no armor or accessories, 41 damage per pellet turns into 16 dmg per pellet -> damage is cut by 60%
  • Snowman Cannon + Rocket Is is used, 107 damage per rocket turns into 82 damage per rocket -> damage is only cut by 23%
When armor and accessories are used (critical hits are not calculated):
  • Chain gun + Chlorophyte bullets with Shroomite armor (no stealth, no reforges), wrath potion, ranger, avenger, destroyer emblem -> 84% increased damage -> base 41 dmg per pellet turns into 75 dmg per pellet turns into 50 dmg per pellet after defense -> damage is "only" cut by 33%; ichor allows damage to be only cut by 20%: this means ichor increases Chain gun's damage by nearly 20%. Not cut as strongly but still a very significant damage cut.
  • Snowman Cannon + Rocket Is is used with the same setup -> 84% increased damage -> base 107 damage turns into 196 dmg turns into 171 dmg after defense -> damage is cut by 13%. Ichor reduces that cut to just a 8% damage decrease (aka a mere 5% damage increase from no ichor)
Nevermind critical hits which are calculated before defense.
Yes. These are issues that further exemplify why some of the events drops are completely useless.
North Pole, which is far from the worst thing you get in Frost Moon is terrible when compared with it's siblings, Snowman Cannon and Blizzard Staff. Blizzard has a powerful (yet justified) DPS in a single target, and Snowman Cannon is a multi-target control tool which still manages to cause a lot of damage to single targets. North Pole can't do neither of these with as much efficiency, and melee bonuses (slightly larger boosts and defense) don't make up for it. And that's not even mentioning Snowman homing abilities and Blizzard Staff going through walls.

If North Pole suffers from this, other Moon event weapons have it worse. CTS being a worse version of North Pole and nearly every Pumpkin Moon gear falling behind Golem and Plantera drops.
The way they were designed seem to indeed point it to be for a chaotic endgame, but with the new endgame that seems more balanced than this now, I see no reason why not make Pumpkin Moon weapons have the same tier as Golem gear and Frost Moon be on the same tier as Martian Madness.

I think the problem with the Jack o' Launcher is that since it's forced to use its own ammo, it loses out on DPS that its counterpart, the Grenade Launcher gains. AND it's slower. I think either raising the damage of the ammo to compete with Rocket IIIs OR have it shoot as fast as the Grenade Launcher could fix its issues. It can't do self-damage, so you should be able to achieve good DPS at close range if it had one of those changes.

I think the problem with the Jack o' Launcher is that since it's forced to use its own ammo, it loses out on DPS that its counterpart, the Grenade Launcher gains. AND it's slower. I think either raising the damage of the ammo to compete with Rocket IIIs OR have it shoot as fast as the Grenade Launcher could fix its issues. It can't do self-damage, so you should be able to achieve good DPS at close range if it had one of those changes.
This makes a lot of sense, ditto for Candy Corn Gun, if we have special ammo, it should at least be special.
The Stake Launcher has an ammunition that is very powerful, so that should be the norm (tho Stake Launcher also needs a buff).

Mud Bombs / Sand Bombs / Stone Bombs
Let me preface this by saying i love the addition of dirt bomb in 1.4. sometimes the world is generated with weird terrains and we want to fix it, and dirt bomb is great for fixing the forest and filing up chasms. that said, i hope the devs see this and can consider adding bombs for other naturally occuring blocks like ice, snow, sand, ash, or muds because for example fixing the jungle with muds manually is a PITA.
it seems like a big oversight to not add these along side dirt bombs. Also if its possible there should be dirt dynamite too which requires more dirt to craft but spread a bigger amount of dirts. this would be a fun addition.

The drill containment unit needs a buff, this item requires 40 of every expensive bar in the game and yet it is much slower than the snowman cannon at clearing large areas, and slower than the digging claws at getting from point A to B. I feel like this should be the zenith of mining items.

I can see that the problem here is your approach. You tried Facetanking and outDPSing bosses on a difficulty where enemies have 50% more HP and Damage than on Expert mode, of course that won't work so well. Flameburst sentries are weak and inaccurate, and they are even more useless here since Flameburst Sentries can't really aim up and Pumpkings are fought almost entirely in the air. And using something with short range (Stellar Tune) as your main weapon in a event where you are spammed by projectiles isn't a very good idea.

Finally got past wave 15 of Frost Moon, out of all combos, Shroomite+Tsunami got me furthest (and was easiest) - Holy Tsunami + Betsy's Wrath while Queen is spinning = nice. Still haven't reached Wave 20.

Razorpine seems slow next to a Tsunami. Flying Dragon sword is very meh, Aerial Bane is meh. Melee seems meh for aerial Queen battles, didn't try a Yoyo though. Starlight yolo is risky, and you gotta make it up with Vampire knives after. Dunno about summoner build, will try Machinegun, Candycorn and Xenopopper next.

It exists for Expert already, and it is x2

The issue comes from you focusing on 1-2 Frost Queen air battles, and everything else either stops spawning and/or is another miniboss which either can't be focused, or hands too few points.

So, maybe another point multiplier for Master? Not flat x3, but between 33-66% more perhaps?

I mean, if I push into Celestial gear (non-Luminite), I might reach wave 20, but I'm still driven by idea that these are meant to be fully completed before Moon Lord, in fact, before Cultist. That was their place in older progression era.

Finally got past wave 15 of Frost Moon, out of all combos, Shroomite+Tsunami got me furthest (and was easiest) - Holy Tsunami + Betsy's Wrath while Queen is spinning = nice. Still haven't reached Wave 20.

Razorpine seems slow next to a Tsunami. Flying Dragon sword is very meh, Aerial Bane is meh. Melee seems meh for aerial Queen battles, didn't try a Yoyo though. Starlight yolo is risky, and you gotta make it up with Vampire knives after. Dunno about summoner build, will try Machinegun, Candycorn and Xenopopper next.

The issue comes from you focusing on 1-2 Frost Queen air battles, and everything else either stops spawning and/or is another miniboss which either can't be focused, or hands too few points.

So, maybe another point multiplier for Master? Not flat x3, but between 33-66% more perhaps?

I mean, if I push into Celestial gear (non-Luminite), I might reach wave 20, but I'm still driven by idea that these are meant to be fully completed before Moon Lord, in fact, before Cultist. That was their place in older progression era.
Gotta admit, it's hard to justify the Ice Queen rewards since you're using Fishron gear, which might be a problem to clear, personally I wouldn't mind Ice Queen drops being stronger than Fishron, but that causes other issues with balance. Now I gotta now, was OOA hard? Tier 3 always seemed like one of the biggest challenges in the post-Golem zone.

This makes a lot of sense, ditto for Candy Corn Gun, if we have special ammo, it should at least be special.
The Stake Launcher has an ammunition that is very powerful, so that should be the norm (tho Stake Launcher also needs a buff).
There was a suggestion to change them to use regular ammo with an ammo override effect such as having stakes be fired if wooden arrows are used this would mean they would lose their special ammo but that probably wouldn't be missed since only Stakes were any good.

Regardless I am all for buffing Holiday Moon Gear as only a few options are generally worth the effort. One example to note is the Reindeer Bells which are one of the hardest items to acquire from the frost Moon as the games original mount. Compared to all the new mounts added since 1.3 it just isn't worth the effort at all.

The North Pole suffers from inconsistency as noted but what bothers me more is that as it is the only post Plantera Spear it is a fairly Lackluster representative It is still a fun weapon in some circumstances it is just sub optimal.
Speaking of late game content it kinda bothers me how poorly distributed various weapon types are among events effectively making some events all together skippable for some classes. For example The Frost Moon has 0 summoner items if excluding the Master Mode exclusive Santa-NK1 mount Really only Ranged and Magic really get much worth noting from the event since the Melee weapons are fairly niche. The Elfmeter always seemed lackluster unless facing weaker enemies Honestly I don't know how to improve it but I generally wouldn't want to use that weapon against the Lunar events.

The situation for the Holiday melee weapons is harder to assess. The Horseman's Blade is strangely the only Pumpkin Moon Melee weapon I like it in principal it really needed optimal conditions to deal with enemies which lead to people abusing statues and the weapon eventually getting nerfed. The problem for me was that the main use I kept it on my hot bar back in 1.2 was taking out enemies with destructible wall hacking projectiles though destroying those projectiles with the blade and spawning Pumpkin projectiles until the aforementioned Fungi Bulb/Imp/Dark Caster/Goblin Summoner etc. was dealt with. I know the Christmas Tree Sword has been buffed but I haven't used it so I will defer judgment on it. As for the North Pole it has always seemed fine on the surface if the weather is in your favor but unless things have changed dramatically I don't think it ever will be effective against foes requiring precision timing/targeting such as Moon Lord itself. That is to some extent ok not every weapon needs to do everything but they need to full their niche sufficiently well to justify it and the Flairon is just better. I haven't checked to see how well individual effectiveness stacks up on Master but played a bit with the North Pole when I went back to my old melee character to test out the Zenith and it still largely requires you waiting for the right weather to try and use it effectively but if used right it is devastating just proper use requires not using it like a spear which is a shame as I really enjoy spear type weapons but there are no alternatives post Plantera only tons of missed opportunities. It would be easy to fit a spear in for any of the events but the weapon type was just forgotten. A similar issue with traditional Flails (despite the new mechanics) and Boomerangs in that the whole archetype was entirely neglected post 1.2 The only Spear, Boomerang and Flail type weapons added since; The Gastly Glaive, & Storm Spear for spears or the Shroomarang for Boomerangs and The Mace/Flaming Mace and Dribbler Crippler are all earlier in progression respectively. Really the diversity and viability of late game viable weapons has bothered me since 1.3 and has only stood out more as most of the options are from the same subtypes. That said thank you for not giving the Empress of light yet another broadsword I was afraid of that given the sword spam 1.3 and to a lesser extent 1.4 have created. Starlight is still a sword but at least it is a Shortsword instead....

Hmm in a similar manner I wonder if the Chlorophyte saber and broadsword be reworked to function as a new improved shortsword and standard broadsword? As is the Saber just does the Broadswords job better

Sounds fair can't give much of an assessment there as I haven't gotten that far in Master. Pity that the Aerial bane is lackluster as it feels like it should be highly effective against Ice Queens as they are evasive flying foes which largely consume all your attention during the Frost Moon. It dumbfounds me that they didn't add another higher point modifier for the holiday moon events on Master....

Also it is a bit nitpicky but Miniboss is typically used to describe regular enemies (i.e. drop banners) which have bosslike traits i.e. stats high health & defense typically flee on Player death or inability to reach the player etc. such as the Blood Moon Fishing monsters, Goblin Summoner, Pirate Captain, Ice Golem, Sand Elemental, Wyvern, Corrupt/Crimson/Hallowed Mimic, Mothron or Paladin etc. The difference from rare monsters comes into both how dangerous and hard to kill they are.

The usual community term for the enemies you are describing which drop trophies Master Relics & exclusive drops but not expert treasure bags etc. are Event Bosses. Dark Mage, Ogre,(But not Betsy) Flying Dutchman, Martian Saucer, Mourning Wood, Pumpking, Everscream, Santa-NK1, Ice Queen & Lunatic Cultist are all generally meet this description some consider the pillars to be this type of enemy and its the best fit but they seem kind of intermediate category of what is a spectrum.

There's an issue I've noticed with the Jack o' Lantern and I'm not sure if it is intentional or not. Against single target DPS, it will actually register two hits instead of one (one would be AoE damage and the other would be contact, I presume). If this is a bug, it would mean the single target DPS of the Jack o' Lantern would be a ridiculous 190 DPS! For comparison, the Hallowed Repeater has a DPS of 198.

There was a suggestion to ch...

Christmas sword is now a combo of North Pole and Chlorophyte Claymore, has reach of latter but drops "bombs" like former, more or less.

I said miniboss as in they literally become "mobs with boss HP bars", their role is pretty much relegated once Frost Queen (the final Boss you meet too) starts coming, but yeah, terminology...

Gotta admit, it's hard to justify the Ice Queen rewards since you're using Fishron gear, which might be a problem to clear, personally I wouldn't mind Ice Queen drops being stronger than Fishron, but that causes other issues with balance.

Actually, that's the issue I presented in this thread - the order of side-content pre-Cultist.
Is my best score in Frost Moon with Tsunami? Yes.
Could Snowman Cannon help with Fishron? Probably, didn't try it first hand.
Did I have more problems with both Moon events than with Fishron and nighttime EoL? Yup. Still can't reach wave 20 Frost moon.

Now you can add that you not only have Empress of Light in this mix, you have her Normal AI vs Expert/Master AI versions, and then you have the night and day drops, and I'm pretty sure Terraprisma would drastically help with Fishron, the all Frost Moon's 20 waves, and probably later with Cultist, Celestial events and probably even Moon Lord.

Chronologically, Fishron was once the final boss (just before 1.3). And Frost Moon was the final event literally before Fishron. Both were optional.

There's also the Pumpkin Moon, and Tier 3 OOA.

In my case, Fishron ain't that hard with some yellow water, homing hatchet/holy knight's smithing tool, and a flying wooden boat. Which I applied to nighttime EoL. And Martian Saucer. Okay, I did use Vampire knives too, but hey, I didn't bother with getting a Scarf.

Now I gotta now, was OOA hard? Tier 3 always seemed like one of the biggest challenges in the post-Golem zone.

It actually is. I personally couldn't do it with Spectre + Staff of Frost Hydra + Razorblade Typhoon and Charged Blaster Cannon alone, and I didn't even do tiers 1 and 2, so there were a LOT of fail runs to get some Medals.

My first win was with Dark Artist + Flameburst and/either/or Ballista + Frost Hydra + Typhoon + Charged Blaster Cannon + mage accesories, wings, mount, potions (+hot swap Treasure Magnet). Arena is flat Asphalt with few Actuator-able blocks above the crystal as a precautionary "hat", generic regen stuff, and some Platforms.

But I think it's doable if you're a bit more git gud than I am without any gear from Tavernkeep, at least that's how I farmed my Medals. Either Betsy killed me, or mobs got to the crystal while I fought her.

Stellar Tune helps here if you can navigate and keep Betsy on screen, better than Typhoon IMHO. Though a stray Typhoon will kill the mobs.

Then again, I didn't even try Flairon or Tsunami in OOA. Or Starlight+Vampire knives. Or anything else than a mage :)And I'm mostly a melee player.

To others reading this part of the thread - OOA, an event that actually scales depending where you are in HM, has pretty much useless Tier 3 drops. Aside from armors and Betsy's Wrath as replacement for Golden Shower, there ain't much.

Last edited:
Actually, that's the issue I presented in this thread - the order of side-content pre-Cultist.
Is my best score in Frost Moon with Tsunami? Yes.
Could Snowman Cannon help with Fishron? Probably, didn't try it first hand.
Did I have more problems with both Moon events than with Fishron and nighttime EoL? Yup. Still can't reach wave 20 Frost moon.

Now you can add that you not only have Empress of Light in this mix, you have her Normal AI vs Expert/Master AI versions, and then you have the night and day drops, and I'm pretty sure Terraprisma would drastically help with Fishron, the all Frost Moon's 20 waves, and probably later with Cultist, Celestial events and probably even Moon Lord.

Chronologically, Fishron was once the final boss (just before 1.3). And Frost Moon was the final event literally before Fishron. Both were optional.

There's also the Pumpkin Moon, and Tier 3 OOA.

In my case, Fishron ain't that hard with some yellow water, homing hatchet/holy knight's smithing tool, and a flying wooden boat. Which I applied to nighttime EoL. And Martian Saucer. Okay, I did use Vampire knives too, but hey, I didn't bother with getting a Scarf.

It actually is. I personally couldn't do it with Spectre + Staff of Frost Hydra + Razorblade Typhoon and Charged Blaster Cannon alone, and I didn't even do tiers 1 and 2, so there were a LOT of fail runs to get some Medals.

My first win was with Dark Artist + Flameburst and/either/or Ballista + Frost Hydra + Typhoon + Charged Blaster Cannon + mage accesories, wings, mount, potions (+hot swap Treasure Magnet). Arena is flat Asphalt with few Actuator-able blocks above the crystal as a precautionary "hat", generic regen stuff, and some Platforms.

But I think it's doable if you're a bit more git gud than I am without any gear from Tavernkeep, at least that's how I farmed my Medals. Either Betsy killed me, or mobs got to the crystal while I fought her.

Stellar Tune helps here if you can navigate and keep Betsy on screen, better than Typhoon IMHO. Though a stray Typhoon will kill the mobs.

Then again, I didn't even try Flairon or Tsunami in OOA. Or Starlight+Vampire knives. Or anything else than a mage :)And I'm mostly a melee player.

To others reading this part of the thread - OOA, an event that actually scales depending where you are in HM, has pretty much useless Tier 3 drops. Aside from armors and Betsy's Wrath as replacement for Golden Shower, there ain't much.
Any thoughts on how the Tier 3 Drops could be buffed to make them worth the effort to acquire? I know Betsy's Wrath has a useful Ichor+ effect. Aerial Bane probably could do with damage and or crit buffs to compensate for its limited usefulness but the melee weapons probably need even more care. Flying Dragon unless changed only had a small niche of a beam which passes straight through walls for a farther distance than other wall passing weapons. Sky Dragon's Fury had two attacks which looked cool I take it that the damage isn't worth it there? It certainly is better than the mech tier counterpart....

This might sound strange, nonsensical and completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but bear with me. Rainbow Crystal Staff's crystal (not its explosions) should have a 2x direct hit damage modifier, akin to Stynger and Rocket Launcher. My reasoning for this strange proposed change is that 1.4 made this weapon completely unusable in PvP because of the way it was reworked for PvE.

If the crystal itself (and nothing else) gained Stynger's/RL's modifier, it would have zero impact on PvE balancing, as only players can take contact damage from it, but it would bring the once beloved and unique weapon back to PvP. I don't think this would be too hard to implement, either, as the 2x modifier already works flawlessly in PvP. Though if this isn't as simple as slapping Stynger's modifier onto projectile #643, I won't object to this not being implemented.

If Re-Logic give this a shot, I will appreciate it greatly, even if it doesn't end up working and gets scrapped in development. Rainbow Crystal Staff is the one thing I miss a lot from 1.3's PvP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom