Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those Useless Treasure Items:
We all know the feeling of opening a chest to get a staff of regrowth or flare gun. Well, 1.4 added even more items like that. Introducing: the encumbering stone and the treasure magnet. These two arguably useless items take up space in 2 of the most valuable chests in the game. Shadow chests are few and far between, and now one of the most common items inside them is a useless magnet. On top of that, lava fishing for the items you want takes hours because of how unbelievably slow both fishing in general and lava fishing is. I suggest making these items a bonus in chests so players feel less cheated when they get 3 in a row. (Yes, this actually happened to me)

The treasure magnet item is incredible. Have you tried using it? It makes collecting rare items so much easier since you're less likely to miss them. Less jumping into water/lave, etc.

Blood Moon Fishing (I'll touch on fishing in general later) (Pre-hardmode)
Blood Moon Fishing, to me, is time consuming and not worth the effort. First, you wait around for a blood moon. It finally happens, you start fishing, and you manage to kill the 4 or 5 mermen/wandering eye fish that you catch. You get nothing, because of the absurd 1/45 drop chance of any item from these enemies. You also get no way to summon another blood moon, since bloody tears are also absurdly rare. So you wait around for years until finally, another blood moon! Now's your chance! You fish up another 4 or 5 enemies but...alas, the drop chance is too low, and you may not be able to get that beloved vampire frog staff for your entire playthrough. Now let's make the hypothetical even worse. You're playing as a summoner in expert mode! Now, you're essentially stuck with no way to progress your weaponry until the queen bee. I suggest lowering the drop chance of these items drastically and perhaps providing some way to get a bloody tear outside of blood moons.

I agree that a way to get bloody tear outside of blood moons would be great.

Oh and, summoner still sucks.
*especially* minion AI

But you can control minion AI with the whip now, right? I felt bad playing classic mode summoner because I wanted to test out my firecracker whip but couldn't because all of my minions would kill every hardmode mob before I had a chance to hit them.

This may not be quite within the intent of this thread, but I think the Sharpening Station, Ammo Box, Crystal Ball, and Bewitching Table could all benefit from a QoL upgrade. Currently they're most often placed down in arenas to give buffs, with most people in my experience not bothering to pick up the buffs for routine exploration because that generally lasts much longer than 10 minutes. I propose making their buffs work in a similar way to the Honey buff, infinite duration while within Campfire range, but persists for 10 minutes after leaving. This won't actually make them stronger in any way, just more convenient since you don't have to worry about buffs timing out in the middle of an invasion/boss fight/farming session.

You shouldn't be forced (don't even pretend that the massive price inflation is "optional") to build a bunch of separate housing in specific biomes
After finally trying this system with a new character i'm also having a second thought on Happines. While i again admit that my perspective is skewed by Master, today it feels like i'm being punished by NPCs for being unable to provide housing in places i can't realiably reach for. And NPCs punish me specifically by hiking their prices for items i need. Look, we now know that Redigit just wanted us to make bases around the world — not to breath life to NPCs, yet he choose existing lore on NPCs preferences (now with added biomes) as an ingame explanation for this decision. If that is so, and NPCs now have more agency (that's not bad), plus economy is now a thing as well (fine too), then i think some logic should be put into their behaviour. Because from in-game perspective today they voluntarily come to my town, i put them in shoebox block for a time being because this is the only safe plot of land on entire map, and then instead of, say, leaving, they sell me things at a premium specifically because i'm broke and can't build homes for them. Call me old-fashioned, but that sounds like an action against your own interest.

Edit: plus some UI QoL change is necessary for Town Portals (or how are they called). Clicking on Portal now opens up the map that i have to scale up every single time just to click on other Portal, location of which i already know. This has a potential to become very tedious later in game, as old-fashioned travel on foot is more fun than that. I guess map thing might be moderately important for Multiplayer, but i attest that it is completely unnecessary in Single.

Last edited:
So I made an account just for this thread. To preface, Im just a mobile player so I havent had any hands on experience with the update, just a constant refresh of the wiki/reddit//forums/youtube videos and streams. Needless to say, Im stoked on this update. It looks fantastic, the amount of work gone into it is astounding, and I cant wait to experience it. Theres been a bit of backlash over the luck system, far more aggression and vitriol than necessary, and as someone who seriously appreciates what this threads original purpose is, Im hoping we can get back on track.
That being said, most of my item balance concerns/priorities have already been addressed. An arkhalis buff to go along with it being exclusive to hardmode and giving the fire gauntlet the damage it loses to justify the tinker. Im glad to see they are on your list as well. As someone said earlier, I do agree the magical harp might need a small buff just based on chippys attempt to take on the destroyer with it in master mode. I'm curious why the sky fracture had its mana usage increased as well, but thats not really a big deal. Or at least Im assuming, been wanting to try it out for awhile.
I havent been able to find if the empress of light light pet is the same brightness as the wisp in a bottle and suspicious looking tentacle. It probably is given the boss difficulty and location in progression, but if not, I do think it should be for the player to have another endgame aesthetic option.
Last thing, Im curious how nightglow compares to both the other EoL drops and the razorblade -nebula progression. I love the look of this weapon, and am really hoping it will be worth using, but the base 50 damage seems a bit low. I could be wrong, especially since I havent used it, and with 4 procs dealing 200 total damage to a single target it does seem strong, but for crowd control if that damage is split and only procs once it may not be enough given its speed, which it should based on boss progression and difficulty. Thematically, i like the idea of making it (much) faster in line with the "bullet hell" boss, in which case the damage might need to stay the same if not lowered. Given the other drops seem to be endgame gear, I do hope nightglow is well.
Ive been thinking a lot about razorblade, and at this point think the most elegant solution would be to give it the shadowbeam staff treatment. Diminishing returns per proc. Initially I would have advocated for reducing its speed but this maintains the identity and viability of the weapon while not being so overclocked.
Last last non thing, as much as i would love a zenith like mage weapon combing all of the spell tomes, I realize that is outside the scope of this thread =P
Aaaand thats my thesis. Love the game, hope the mood hasnt soured over there, awesome work.

at this point think the most elegant solution would be to give it the shadowbeam staff treatment.
The Shadowbeam Staff was ruined by this treatment, and the Sergeant United Shield is currently being ruined by this treatment. Diminishing damage is not something I would advocate for any weapon, least of all the Razorblade Typhoon. Recall that the projectiles last for a very long time; with diminishing damage, the projectiles would be reduced to dealing 1 damage very quickly and persist for a long time after that. I could live with a velocity nerf and the removal of its double projectile, but not this.

On an unrelated note, the reforge cost for Terraspark Boots is far too high.

Eye of Cthulu could use a bit of a buff. Right now on Expert it hits so low that having Platinum armor and an ironskin can have it only killing a 200 hp player after 10 to 12 hits at it's strongest and only if they don't heal. With just standard healing potions this goes up to a whopping 18 hits with over 6 having to happen during potion sickness. Even with the minimum requirements for it to spawn on its own it still takes 6 to 9 hits for it to kill you, or as many as 14 with more than five all happening during potion sickness if you have just an ironskin and standard healing potions.

This doesn't even factor in natural regeneration, any level of Well Fed, a band of regen, Campfires, Heart Lanterns or the additional 5 defense someone could reliably get with a shackle and a warding yoyo string.

If the intended time to fight the Eye is as soon as it can spawn naturally it could stand to gain a bit of extra damage so people have to actually dodge it a bit more. If the intended time to fight it is with full gold or platinum gear then it could stand to have a sizeable buff or the higher tiers of ore armor could use a slight nerf. Probably the second considering it's possible to reach 38 or 42 defense purely with craft-able equipment and potions, Food, a Bast Statue, and a prefix-less Shackle before you fight a single boss, meet the Goblin Tinkerer, or even fish for the first time and still have an extra 3 or 4 accessory slots to use.

Not sure if it's a balance issue specifically with Expert, but on Master it felt about right as a first boss.

Being able to push for >40def before fighting EoC, with tons of 100hp pots and as much preparation as possible, is just one of those choices you can make IMO. I would say the optimal time to do EoC is way before that point (I do it on 10-20def, as soon as I have a minishark) but it's a matter of preference. For me on 1.4, that happened to be with the fossil set and I think 14def, and I failed a couple times.

If anything, I'd say you should repeatedly try to do EoC, there's no real cost to trying since the spawn item is 6 lenses and you'd only lose ammo and potions...unless you're doing mediumcore/hardcore.

Just had a thought regarding the NPC happiness system:

Why not have an option to lock NPCs at 100% prices in Journey mode?
Why not have an option to allow buying all Pylons in Journey mode from the Merchant, with no requirements other than correct biome?

Seems like one of those options that would fit really well with what Journey mode is supposed to be.

Why not have an option to lock NPCs at 100% prices in Journey mode?
Because you unlock infinite money in Journey mode as soon as you obtain 1 silver coin...?
Why not have an option to allow buying all Pylons in Journey mode from the Merchant, with no requirements other than correct biome?
Because Journey mode is meant to be a teaching experience in addition to acting as the game's creative mode. Journey mode duplication is powerful, but it has also required me to demonstrate that I know how game mechanics work. I think it is important that all basic game mechanics work exactly the same in Journey mode. Everything that people learn in Journey mode should be applicable to other game modes. (well, except the pre-Hardmode bit where I was spamming Star Cannon constantly... that part might not be applicable to classic mode lol)

Chik (Nerf)
- Damage decreased from 39 to 38
Amarok (Buff)
- Damage increased from 43 to 47

Yoyo's were already pretty OP in 1.3 with Amarok being one of the most overpowered yoyo's in the game. It had higher damage than any other pre-mech yoyo, was easy to get, and could inflict frostburn. It needed a nerf not a buff. Chik meanwhile dealt less damage than Amarok and needed to be crafted. Nobody used it because Amarok was much better. It didn't need a nerf.

2. Bee Keeper was pretty strong for a pre-HM sword, arguably one of the best.

It drops from one of the last two non-WOF pre hardmode bosses (arguably the last one since Skeletron is fought before you enter the Dungeon while Queen Bee is found deep within the Underground Jungle). It should be one of the best swords in pre-HM. The only swords that should be better are the Fiery Greatsword and the Night's Edge. It also falls off pretty hard in hardmode since the bees stop doing significant damage. It was completely fine the way it was before 1.4. Beenades are the Queen Bee drop that really need to be nerfed.

Angry Tumbler
- Defense decreased from 10 to 6
- Health decreased from 60 to 50
- Max speed decreased from 4 to 3
- Money drop value decreased from 1.3 Silver to 1 Silver

- Sandstorms are now significantly less common, particularly in the early game
- Reduced the intensity of Mighty Wind, pushing you less

This seems a bit much. Sandstorms were a bit too dangerous in pre-hardmode but they didn't need three seperate nerfs. Mighty Wind was also fine the way it was in hardmode.

Blood Feeder, a hardmode enemy, has only 20 health. I think this might be a typo.

This is probably a pre-hardmode enemy that was accidentally added to hardmode. It has lower stats than the Corrupt Goldfish and is redundant in hardmode since Blood Jellies also exist. They should be changed to a pre-hardmode Crimson enemy.

The Quad-Barrel Shotgun is too strong for when you get it. It has the exact same stats as the Shotgun, a hardmode weapon, despite being obtainable after breaking a single Shadow Orb/Demon Heart. It also makes the Boomstick obsolete. Yes it has a worse spread but it still needs to be nerfed somewhat.

The Razorblade Typhoon was a good weapon in 1.2.4 but then got buffed in 1.3 making it incredibly overpowered. The easiest way to handle it is just reverting it back to its 1.2.4 state.

The Thorn Hook isn't any better than the Biome Mimic hooks despite being a drop from Plantera. It needs a slight buff.

The Jungle Creeper enemy from the hardmode Underground Jungle is way too weak. Its stats are actually closer to a Wall Creeper than to a Black Recluse despite being a late hardmode enemy. Let's compare its stats to the other hardmode Underground Jungle enemies (on normal and expert mode):
Jungle Creeper.PNG

Yeah it's pretty pathetic. It deals less damage than the weakest Moss Hornets.

Here it is compared to the other spiders:
Jungle creeper stats.PNG

It's weaker than both other hardmode spiders despite appearing later in the games progression. It doesn't even inflict any debuffs. There are multiple solutions:
1. Buff its stats and make it inflict Venom/Webbed or both. This is the most obvious change but might make it a bit too strong.
2. Buff its stats and don't make it inflict any debuffs. This would be easiest change to make but would keep it less interesting and fun to fight than the Black Recluse.
3. Keep its stats the same but make it inflict Venom/Webbed/both. This would make it an interesting enemy that has low stats but can inflict dangerous debuffs.
4. Lower its damage a little and make it a pre-hardmode enemy. I don't recommend this because you spend much more time in the hardmode Underground Jungle than the pre-hardmode version and the pre-hardmode version already has slightly more enemies than the hardmode version.

I know I'm focusing a bit too much on one minor enemy but its been bugging me since 1.2 and no changes have been made to it since then. Just buffing its stats a bit can't be too hard.

Leinfors, it would appear that you do not much seem to like the Reaver Shark, as it was. Frankly, I do not understand why. You have given a fairly thorough explanation, and yet, I still do not understand why. So many factors went into its acquisition, and its actual benefit was so minimal, that the nerf does more to reduce the fun any given player can have with the game, than to increase it. I must repeat that - the change hurts the game's experience more than it helps it. In the end, between this, and meteors not only being unbombable, but locked behind defeating the actual Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu themselves, these changes have resulted in a very strong feeling of the game strong-arming the player into playing in exactly one approved way. Terraria is, as much as anything else, a sandbox game - it strongly emphasizes doing what you want. Previously, the game could be praised for the freedom of choice in its early-game design. Once people get into Hard Mode, there is very little in terms of flexibility. You have, basically, one locked path to the end, and you can hardly diverge from it at all. We must consider the Reaver Shark's design:
  • ...It only skipped 25% of the game - perhaps, the slowest, and debatably the least enjoyable portion of the game, at that. And ONLY the pickaxe. The digging implement. It was, at best, an okay melee weapon, but it did not allow you to singlehandedly kill the Queen Bee for summoner gear, nor did it allow you to take on Skeletron right away for shadow keys and ranged armour, and so on. Yes, it granted you access to Hellstone, but one could argue that the Eater of Worlds technically being "optional" didn't make that big of a difference, as many people ended up fighting it anyways, simply for demonite armour, and the worm scarf, since surviving the Underworld is a heck of a lot harder otherwise, especially on any difficulty above Classic. But in terms of digging implements, it skipped Platinum, which is available right from the start, and Nightmare, which is available the moment you get the Ball of Hurt or the Vilethorn, or in the Brain of Cthulhu's case, the Rotted Fork. It is, in fact, for many combat-savvy players, easier and less tedious to acquire the Nightmare/Deathbringer Pickaxe and then rush down to the Underworld, than it is to go fishing for a Reaver Shark. You yourself have said that it being able to mine Cobalt was of little consequence to you, and so Platinum and Evil are the only two pickaxes of note that Reaver Shark really skips, since it was on par with Molten, just slightly faster at digging stone.
Additionally, on any world other than small, on any difficulty other than classic, there were SEVERAL factors that went into acquiring the Reaver Shark:
  • It was necessary to have foreknowledge of the Reaver Shark's existence. For the vast majority of first or second-time players, this essentially meant that they would go through the game's original, and primary, progression path regardless. The Reaver Shark only became an option for veterans, and more than that, was only an option for those who could stomach fishing. Not everyone likes it, and even among veterans, not everyone finds it necessary to skip right to it.

• You had to do significant preparation in order to acquire it, which again necessitated significant foreknowledge. To get any decent amount of bait in any decent amount of time, you had to know how to get worms or bugs reliably, which could take some amount of time. If you wanted to cut down on how much bait you wanted to spend to get it, you had to do further preparation by collecting and crafting materials needed to make Sonar Potions, but a good chunk of players are not predisposed to early-game potion acquisition, nor does every player have an encyclopedic knowledge of potions.

• It had, potentially, a fairly long acquisition time even if you did have Sonar Potions. The lower your fishing power, not only does it take longer to cycle through potential catches, but also the lower the appearance Reaver Sharks have. And then there's the odds of your line breaking. All of this, combined, meant that getting it at the beginning of the game could, potentially, be a painful experience. If you didn't grab enough Sonar Potions along the way, it could potentially take longer for you to even SEE a Reaver Shark than you had Sonar buff time.

• Additionally, there was the travel. Making your way across desert, jungle, and evil biomes in Expert and Master is no walk in the park, especially so in medium and large worlds, where trying to do so as early as humanly possible will result in more graveyard biomes than actual progress.
All of this combines to create an item that, primarily, existed as an optional avenue solely for the game's more dedicated veterans - a way to diversify their playthroughs, during the only period of the game in which they could diversify their playthroughs. I must stress, Leinfors, that strongly enforcing linearity in a sandbox game is not typically the best-recieved of decisions. Sequence-breaking is not bad by design. It depends very much so on what the sequence break accomplishes that brings to the table the argument to stop it. The Reaver Shark was ultimately harmless, as what it could accomplish was very little, but in doing so, it provided a greater degree of freedom of gameplay to the game's most knowedgeable and most dedicated, during the game's slowest and most tedious time. So you could use it to mine Hellstone. So what? It's a transient, early-game tool that very quickly drops in usefulness the moment you hit hardmode. It cannot be understated enough that the majority of Pre-Hardmode equipment sees very little usage or value in the grand scheme of the game.

Now, let's talk about the other recent changes. Notably, let's get back to meteors, and the Eater of Worlds. Because the Reaver Shark ties into this.

Prior to 1.4.0.2, it was entirely possible to skip Shadow Orbs. This, as a result, meant that not only were you able to spare your world from the scourge of random goblin invasions in favour of summoning them manually, but it also meant that your world would not end up irreparably marred by meteors. I cannot stress enough how badly some of the game's more fervent players obsess over keeping their world pristine.

But in the developers' fervor to enforce one, specific route of progress, you have forced what was once, for however many updates, skippable content - and it must be stressed: skippable early-game content - to become unskippable, but you have also forced all players, forever, to endure random meteorites potentially damaging their world, and, perhaps, damaging their structures.

The end result of these recent changes is that one of the game's most potentially valuable early-game items (for veterans) for speeding up the slowest part of the playthrough ever so slightly has become completely and utterly worthless, a previously skippable piece of content was made unskippable in a sandbox game, and every world is now cursed to be damaged over time.

I would hope you could understand the severity of these things. As much wonderful stuff as there is in Journey's End, these come off as taking a strong stand on something relatively miniscule in the grand scheme of things, and so making it that somewhat ironically, in the Journey's End update, the game has significantly squashed what little variety could be gotten in how different players experienced their Journeys.

But Meteorite showing up after what is now a mandatory boss? The armour as a whole being locked away when its set bonus is locked to one particular weapon and two other magic-focused sets exist that can be combined with all magical weapons? That's ludicrous. Space Gun and Star Cannon, perhaps, there is certainly an argument there given how powerful they are around the point in the game that you could get them before - but you could have just as easily perhaps slapped a single shadow scale on those to lock them behind the Eater of Worlds, though, the actual armour itself? Meteor was meant to be contemporary with Jungle Armour, not superior. But even now, despite being able to access Jungle earlier, Meteor is not superior. The Space Gun gets outpaced the moment you've got the Demon Scythe, and you certainly don't need a Reaver Shark to get that. Let's recount the early-game magical armours, hey?
  1. Jungle has okay defence, economy and mild crits.
  2. Wizard sacrifices defence in the extreme for equal parts power and economy - though with neither being as strong as either meteor or jungle, and ends up becoming a glass cannon that dies to a stray breeze.
  3. Meteor has defence, power, and a gimmick in making a single magical weapon - admittedly a decent one for the middle of the early game and no further than that - free.
It's another change that seems to have been made in heed of a singular, constraining vision for how the game should progress, that has failed to take heed of what the game's actual strengths were. This update has focused a lot on rebalancing, which, overall, has been a good thing. There have been so many good things. But these particular changes are among the worst Terraria has ever seen, and that is not mere hyperbole.

All of these changes: the Reaver Shark; the Meteorite equipment; the spawn conditions and access to the Meteor itself -- all of these things combined, have opened a whole can of worms that makes what was already perhaps one of the weaker parts of Terraria even weaker. Significantly so. I love Terraria. I don't want to see this. I enjoyed the Early Game to the degree that I did because those things were balanced the way they were. And now, not only can I not wait to get out of it as quickly as possible, I am literally forced to do so at a slower maximum pace than I could before. And I will be forced to do it in a particular order. Every time. Every single playthrough. From this point on. Because this will be the final major game update.

You could spend every one of the game's few remaining balance adjustments until development finally, truly ends figuring out ways to nerf the things I listed, to make everything fall in line. Or you could roll back three simple changes that have caused, and more importantly, will cause, so much frustration that will, ultimately, hurt the game's overall experience.

The first 25% of the game was the last part of the game that needed anything nerfed.

Last edited:
The treasure magnet item is incredible. Have you tried using it? It makes collecting rare items so much easier since you're less likely to miss them. Less jumping into water/lave, etc.

I agree that a way to get bloody tear outside of blood moons would be great.

But you can control minion AI with the whip now, right? I felt bad playing classic mode summoner because I wanted to test out my firecracker whip but couldn't because all of my minions would kill every hardmode mob before I had a chance to hit them.
Treasure magnet can be very useful but it’s largely situational, and I don’t feel it belongs in shadow chests of all things.
you Could always control minion AI by focusing minions on specific enemies, but that’s not the problem I have with minion AI. Sometimes they are just...really stupid, like a finch focused on an enemy choosing to hover around you rather than pathfinder to it.

After scrolling through the list of all NPCs while keeping lore in mind i think i have an interesting solution for aforementioned problem:

So, first of all, price hiking should be removed altogether, simply because it should be. Price drops are fine ofc. Second of all, we should make a list of NPCs that are absolutely positively essential for early progression. In my opinion it goes as follows:

Guide, Nurse, Demolitionist, Arms Dealer, Angler, maybe Dryad and maybe Merchant.

Now let's look at this in more detail:
— Guide is always with us for no reason other than he's secretly an incarnate of ancient god. He always has been here waiting for our arrival. He should stay;
— Merchant arrives as soon as he hears that someone on remote island has 50 silvers. To me he doesn't look like a man who would care about living conditions that much;
— Arms Dealer does the same thing, just to instantly become monopolist of armament sales. In theory he has higher bargaining power than the merchant, but we also know he's street-wise dude, who in his lifetime probably had it much worse. So, same as merchant, he will do a lot if it means profit;
— Demolitionist now has an entire island to test his explosives. Sure he likes to live alone for "safety", yet he also prefers underground and this is easy to satisfy gameplay-wise;
— Nurse. This is a tough one, as she has no real reason to stay other than Arms Dealer. I dunno, personal creed maybe, like sisters of mercy?
— Dryad lore-wise has a vision for you personally. That's it. Plus it's one of those NPCs who realistically would never care about money;
— Angler is just a local dude, who doesn't care about anything other than you becoming his running dog.

Might as well mention Traveling Merchant, but he is fine as he is now.

Okay. So, these NPCs will be our bros. They won't charge us extra, because this system is removed, but unlike other NPCs they won't leave our town if conditions are unsatisfactory. Yes, leaving. That should be the punitive part of this system. Any other NPCs who provide higher tier gear and vanities would just pack up their stuff and disappear after some reasonable amount of time (let's say one ingame week) if they feel forgotten. Then in order for them to be respawned Player would have to provide modest accomodations.

And on top of that, just to give due respect to those who prefer single-base building and got something they didn't deserve with this update, there should be some proxy for "economic interest" for NPCs to stay forever. Initially i thought about frequent buyer program of some sort, but then we rarely interact with some NPCs like Mushroom. So how about this instead: if the player reaches certain amount of Platinum (5 sounds reasonable, as at this point they likely have enough means to engage in base-building for pure aesthetics), their settlement (entire island) is considered rich and NPCs never leave. Now here we have to keep in mind that the World is detached from a Player, and we have to keep track of our economy so NPCs wouldn't just mass leave if Player accidentally logged in with another Character. So... Remember these piles of coins some people place just to decorate "vault" on their base? What if Vault would actually be implemented in some way. Or we will change this already always unhappy Tax Collector to Money Lender? And then he still should deliver money, but as interest — not taxes — and we will be his lender of last resort, no matter how ridiculious it sounds.

That's the general idea. Not ideal of course, i probably overlooked something, so criticism is welcome.

Almost forgot — there should be no unreasonable restrictions on Player artistic freedoms. This is a sandbox game still, plus artistic skills are hard to quantify. So if you have some ideas like punishing players for wrong materials, you might want to reconsider them.

Last edited:
Because Journey mode is meant to be a teaching experience in addition to acting as the game's creative mode. Journey mode duplication is powerful, but it has also required me to demonstrate that I know how game mechanics work. I think it is important that all basic game mechanics work exactly the same in Journey mode. Everything that people learn in Journey mode should be applicable to other game modes. (well, except the pre-Hardmode bit where I was spamming Star Cannon constantly... that part might not be applicable to classic mode lol)

This is demonstrably not the case because god mode exists, which to me screams "have fun doing what you want to do". Not having to learn a, quite frankly, obscure NPC mechanic to get a fast travel network going is perfectly OK, and honestly I feel like it should actually be limited to expert/master.

Also, it's entirely possible to go through the full game not knowing pylons exist, the only time they naturally show up is if you have the guide plus either merchant or zoologist. By the time you hit 4 NPCs you might actually never learn they like being separated in specific combos, or you might just think it has no real impact.

The NPC happiness system is the only thing I check the wiki for without first experimenting because of how obtuse the thing is, and once I get all the pylons I'm going to throw out my delicate pairings for more functional pairings anyways (which involves putting the arms dealer and demolitionist together).

Not sure if this is balance feedback exactly, but it is item related. Moss drops (from the paint scraper) are far too rare for a purely aesthetic thing, why doesn't it just harvest from every piece of moss? Unless there's a specific kind of moss that's used as a material for something that I just haven't come across yet it seems pretty silly to limit it.

This is demonstrably not the case because god mode exists
Honestly, god mode is the odd one out. It is the only Journey mode mechanic that actually allows you to brute-force your way past the game's intended progression, so I wouldn't mind seeing it locked behind the first Moon Lord kill (which shouldn't be too hard at 0.5x difficulty). The other Journey mode mechanics simply save time or allow you to use limited resources more aggressively.

I feel like the sunfury/cascade need some sort of range buff. There are 0 options for the master mode wall of flesh; if you try to get close after killing the hungry they'll just respawn doing up to 100? damage. The only somewhat option would be getting close w/ the sunfury and swinging it, but the hungry will knock you into the wall itself doing 140 damage, and running an obsidian shield would just make you die to their damage cause the hearts dropped cant outheal the damage. If you could still drag the flails then maybe sunfury could hit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom