Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I'm back with more Accessory feedback. This is largely just me correcting bad ideas from my initial post, though I did also address a few other Accessories I missed.

fnl6izI.png
Hellfire Treads: Now, if the Terraspark boots didn't exist, these would be completely fine. However, now that they do, making these completely screws you out of them. Nobody with a sense of self-preservation is going to want to craft an expensive show-off vanity when they could just slap the Flame Wakers into a Vanity slot, make the Terraspark Boots, and call it a day.
Unless you add some sort of extra functionality that provides an interesting alternative to the Terraspark Boots (and I know that's not an option to you guys), these boots are bad design.
This accessory should be removed, though the sprites could be used to replace the Lava Waders', as they look much nicer and less-visibly old.

PGEoTe6.png
YmON4A9.png
Flower/Fairy Boots, again: Now, the only real convenience to the Fairy Boots is the increased mobility, but if you already have a pair of Spectre Boots or better, you can just swap out a different, non-running boots accessory and get the same benefit. The tinker is only relevant if you just don’t use running boots during normal play, but with the Terraspark Boots now existing, the chance of that is a LOT slimmer, even if it is still possible. I’m not completely opposed to the Fairy Boots, but they don’t do anything that you couldn’t have done already. Not like you can make the “opening up new slots” argument for this accessory; nobody ever wears it for any longer than it takes to plant the flowers they want, which typically isn't for very long.
Giving it a more permanent function that lets you justify equipping it permanently might be the only other good solution to this problem. Reminder to everyone that the flowers the Flower and Fairy Boots create CAN drop critters; you just need to not have them equipped for that to work.

WMLL61p.png
Sandstorm in a Bottle: The only other alternative I can think of that's not moving this to the Oasis and Mirage Crates is to turn it into an uncommon Sand Elemental drop/have it be craftable with a Cloud in a Bottle and 1 Forbidden Fragment. I don't know if that'd be any easier of a sell, but it's less-preferable to the crates, so this idea is suggested as a last resort.

wiGdVtK.png
Magma Stone, again: This is something I need to correct myself on, as I earlier said a 40-DPS debuff would be a perfect increase in damage for the point in the game players would get the Magma Stone, pointing to a Rebalancing mod I'd recently tried out that did just that for an example. It turns out I had been missing an important piece of info: the weapons that the mod made naturally inflict a 50-DPS debuff only had such a high DoT debut because their damage output would be abysmal without it. My correction for this idea is to have the Magma Stone instead inflict a new debuff that deals 15 DPS, still with the ability to be inflicted on more enemies than On Fire. This rebalanced debuff would carry on over to every tinker it has, save for one.

OwtXNCv.png
Fire Gauntlet, again*: This is the one. I stand by the original buff to the Magma Stone’s fire damage, but only for this tinker. You are required to fight the three Mechanical Bosses in order to get the Avenger Emblem needed for the preceding tinker, which is an accessory that, fittingly for this buff, grants a raw damage boost. Again, this debuff should have more flexibility on what it can be inflicted on so that it doesn’t become completely useless like On Fire.

NwnMznP.png
Molten Quiver: This one's a nitpick more than a balance idea, but the Magma Stone? I'd be fine with this if the Magma Stone wasn’t specifically a Melee accessory, though I admit that it would be a decent upgrade IF you implement the Magma Stone changes. I’m still disappointed you guys couldn’t have put in the effort to come up with a new ranged accessory for this kind of tinker, though.

RbvDpuC.png
Feral Glove: I believe Bame suggested this already, but the Feral Glove should get the Autoswing bonus instead of the Titan Glove, as Autoswing is much more helpful in PreHardmode due to Melee's underperformance. Yeah, it makes the Titan Glove less useful on its own, but at least IT has unique functionality, unlike the Anklet of the Wind and its being a slightly-better Aglet except not really because you don’t even have justification to use it, ever.

Ep6GxQv.png
Titan Glove
: ...Well, I guess the Titan Glove would then become another “never equipped on its own” accessory. Fine, I‘ll propose an effect to take the Autoswing’s spot, though I don’t think this is completely necessary and also this isn't the right plaaace for that.
As Titans are inherently l a r g e, perhaps the Titan Glove could increase the size of melee weapons by 20% alongside the knockback bonus? That number might need adjusting, but I think an item that increases weapon size is a pretty neat addition.

VHbPv33.png
Band of Starpower, again: I actually have TWO things to go over for this item.
1) +20 Mana is something any other accessory could do with a modifier. It seems you guys realized this, as you ditch the effect entirely with the Magic Cuffs. The Mana Regeneration Band also completely ditches the HEALTH regeneration in favor of Mana, which, I get it, but I don't think that was entirely necessary. While not as much of a balance thing than a "this simply feels smoother" thing, an idea I have to make both the Mana Regeneration Band and Magic Cuffs' effects make a little more sense is to simply have the Band of Starpower increase Mana regeneration instead of the original +20 Mana bonus. With this change, the Mana Regeneration Band could increase both Health AND Mana regeneration, and the Cuffs could just be a Band of Starpower tinker without one bonus suddenly evaporating into a new one and requiring another accessory (Band of Regeneration) to make sense.
2) I don't know if you saw the specific post, but I came up with two possible solutions to the conundrum of this thing being locked to the Corruption. Slightly revised, one is to have the Band of Starpower become a drop from Iron and Mythril Crates once 3 Shadow Orbs or Crimson Hearts have been smashed open. The second, however? Replace the Band in the Shadow Orb with a new accessory, and give the Band of Starpower a 25% chance to replace Bands of Regeneration in Gold Chests. I know this second option would be a much harder sell, but it’s definitely the better solution of the two. I‘ve provided an idea to work off of for a replacement accessory, if you pursue this second option and a replacement is required for the pitch.
Paranoid Pendant (Found in Shadow Orbs)
Instead of acting after you've been hit, like the Panic Necklace, the Paranoid Pendant functions until you're hit.
•Highlights the closest enemy on-screen with a Hunter Potion glow, increasing your Critical Strike Chance against them by 20%.
•Getting hit will close the eye, disabling the accessory entirely for 3 seconds. Further tinkers of this item, if any, will have EVERY aspect of it disabled, increasing both the reward and the risk. Take that as an excuse to get wild with tinker ideas.
[EDIT] Wait, actually, WolfenCQ presents a much more creative idea to solve the Band of Starpower. It doesn't address the Panic Necklace issue like I tried to just now in that Spoiler, but it's definitely much better than anything I can come up with.

uIrimOb.png
Mana Cloak, again: Oh I thought you meant that the FALLING stars homed in on ENEMIES. Though, remembering it now, I think my brain just muddled what you said with what I was expecting. Sorry; I only had player descriptions to go off of for this thing.
Okay, yeah, I actually kind of like this thing. I do still say the Star Cloak and its tinkers need a raw damage boost, though, as I saw the stars from this Cloak rain down and do a whopping 30 damage each, assuming they even hit. Accuracy is one thing, but 90 damage with all three stars, regardless of how it’s spread out, is nooot a lot of damage. You don't even need Flex Tape for that; just give the enemy a kiss on the booboo and it's set to go. Wow, I totally forgot “booboo” is a name Americans call injuries around young children. Humans are weird,
If you're planning on using the Flamelash’s new mechanic on the stars of the Star Cloak and its tinkers, they should go through blocks so they actually get a chance to use that second hit instead of just scraping the pixels of a block and immediately vaporizing.

tC6IUza.png
Flesh Knuckles, again: Okay, I like the original idea I had of just bumping the defense up to 10, but it just hit me that making an object that is primarily used to make your punches sting more grant defense doesn’t really make much sense. Regardless of having 7 or 10 defense, the Flesh Knuckles don't really compare to the Putrid Scent much.
This is more of a suggestion than a balance idea, I apologize, but maybe you could add on some sort of damage-retaliation effect (perhaps a “Thorns” effect that hurts all nearby enemies, more so the attacker?) so that the accessory stays defensive while staying true to the offensive nature of brass knuckles.

Thorns Potion
Dryad's Blessing.png
Turtle armor equipped (male)
On the topic of Thorns effects: Every effect that directly returns damage to attackers (Thorns damage) needs to deal a lot MORE damage to be actually worth the cost of getting hit, especially since enemies can easily circumvent it with projectiles. You shouldn't have to worry about these doing excessive damage too much, since, again, you need to take damage, yourself, for the effect to work, and Thorns damage is directly proportional to how much damage YOU take. I also noticed that Turtle Armor overrides all other Thorns effects; these effects should be able to stack.
  • Both the Thorns Potion buff and Dryad's Blessing should deal 350% Thorns damage; still not much individually, but it definitely provides much more of an effect.
  • The Turtle Armor's Thorns bonus should deal 600% Thorns damage to compensate for the heightened toughness of the armor. This could potentially instantly kill stronger enemies.
    • The Turtle's Armor, in general, seem to be a little lacking. The Thorns buff won't be enough on its own; some minor stat buffs may be required.

uyco7fQ.png
MyVMJHr.png
Paladin's and Hero's Shields, again: As with the Magma Stone, I went a little overboard with these two last time, mostly due to a sudden underestimation of the usefulness of defense. My final suggestion for the Paladin's Shield is increasing its defense to 16; the Flesh Knuckles' tinker into the Hero's Shield, meanwhile, grants it a total of 23 defense at the cost of reducing movement speed by 15%. I stand my ground that their current defense values are not that helpful.
The Frozen Shield, however? I think that's perfect as-is. The drop from a 16-defense Paladin’s Shield to a 6-defense Frozen Shield with 25% damage reduction at low health is justified.

7aLzvB1.png
iFMIZBG.png
xBz7McX.png
Cobalt Shield, Obsidian Skull, and Obsidian Shield: This isn't too significant of a problem, but their defense feels tacked on for the sole reason that the Cobalt Shield and Obsidian Skull are just Shackles with additional effects. I know said effects are the only reason people even wear them, but if they’re going to grant a defense bonus, it should at least be noticeable.
A simple bump to 2 defense for both of them would be enough, with the Obsidian Shield granting a combined 4, just like the Ankh Shield. If you wanna bump up the Ankh Shield's defense after that, sure, but I don't think it's entirely necessary. The Paladin's Shield is probably a better option in Singleplayer, though.

z6tmvmc.png
Shiny Red Balloon*: I appreciate that you guys guaranteed the chance of getting biome items from Crates, but you need THREE balloons for a whole bundle. Just to make things a little less tedious, the chance for Shiny Red Balloons to be in Azure Crates, specifically, should be raised to 50%, in turn lowering the chances for Lucky Horseshoes and Starfuries to 25%. Balance? Unsure. Helpful? Very.

h6ZXmwr.png
Pygmy Necklace and Avenger Emblem: This one is only technically qualified as balance. Mysteriously, Summoners have an Emblem, but not an Avenger accessory like the other three classes. The Pygmy Necklace is also just kinda sitting there, existing. Seems like a match made in heaven, if you ask me. If you do go for that, make sure you don't turn it into a repeat of the...

86gABQr.png
Celestial Emblem: Increases Magic damage by 15% and star pickup range by 20 tiles. Okay, yes... but is that it? Once again, this one's only tEchNiCalLY balance, but the Mechanical Glove has the Fire Gauntlet after it; the Destroyer Emblem the Sniper Scope. Wouldn't it make sense to give this thing a finishing tinker? There are a couple of Celestial Magnet tinkers you guys just crammed together, which could be candidates for a final product of a furthered Celestial Emblem tinker. My own idea was to have the Avenger Emblem tinker with the Magic Cuffs into a new set of cuffs ("Vengeful Cuffs"?), and then have THOSE tinker into the Celestial Cuffs, but honestly, you guys could probably make anything work if you actually try. Make sure the Pygmy Necklace and Avenger Emblem tinker ("Prime Necklace"? cough) get a similar treatment, if you go for that idea.

HRZjRWO.png
Recon Scope
: Uh, WAIT, I TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID ABOUT THE PUTRID SCENT TINKERS IN THE FIRST POST, BUT ONLY FOR THIS ONE.
It's currently a pointless tinker, yes, but adding on ANOTHER 5% Ranged Damage and Critical Strike bonus be an even worse decision, as you would be bumping up the total bonuses to an insane +15%. I don’t wanna say “remove this accessory” again, but you can’t keep it as-is. I suggest that the Recon Scope be made with the Rifle Scope instead of the Sniper Scope, though then it'd just be a worse Sniper Scope. To fix that?
Add an extra item into the accessory, either as a preceding tinker or alongside the Putrid Scent. Again, though, this is a balance thread, not the suggestions forums, so nnnngggh.

ImgOokN.png
Pocket Mirror: Yeah, we all knew this was gonna get mentioned at some point. With an incredibly low drop rate, the situationalness of the Ice Skates, and the complete lack of tinkers, the Pocket Mirror really doesn't get any use at all. Obviously, everyone and their mother is just gonna suggest to throw it into the Ankh Shield, but here's a more creative idea, if you're up for that: let it occasionally reflect incoming projectiles. This suddenly lets the mirror be applied to literally any situation with projectiles, and, as an added bonus, you could even get Medusa to petrify herself! The Pocket Mirror not having a tinker suddenly isn't a problem, though you could throw it into a tinker with the Ankh Shield if you, uh, really think that's necessary. That seems like a Red thing to do, at this point.

319KN26.png
Hand Warmer: Okay yeah I can't really do anything fancy for this one; throw it into the Ankh Shield. To make it actually obtainable throughout most of the year without the otherworldly interference of changing your computer's date, it should be an Ice Chest item in the Underground Tundra. Tinker it with the Blindfold, as it forgot to bring a date to the Ankh Prom, and yeah this thing is solid. Feel free to make the sprite nightmare fuel.
cIdzo0M.png

7jRJ23F.png
RCLGpdk.png
4TV2At6.png
xLEG22h.png
Running Boots, again: I'm apparently just crazy. I swore that, at some point, the wiki said that the Yoyo Bag remembers the Counterweight and String color used for it; obviously, I've never tried crafting the bag with any string other than White String. Soooo, that means that my proposed idea would outright require you to create four different versions of the Spectre, Lightning, Frostspark, AND Terraspark Boots. Now, uh, I'm not afraid to admit that I, myself, would opt to do just that if I could, but I also know that most, if not all, of the team would noooot be willing to put in that much work just because of one item. The only other way to make these guys work without putting way too much effort into making anything like my idea is to just rework the Duneriders entirely.

I meant to go over more Accessories, but I'm having trouble remembering things right now so I need to go clear my head.

Last edited:
I think the flesh knuckles and its tinkers should give 10 defense. The reason is simple, anyone who has done accosory refoging knows that the game values +1 defense to be the same as +1% damage or +1% critical chance. From this perspective the putrid scent giving +5% damage and +5% critical chance provides more 'modifier points' than it's crimson counterpart with 7 'modifier points'.

I have no idea how pumps are deleting liquids but it would be rather cool if we could make the pump liquid duplication a "protected bug" Also is there any chance we can get a bottomless honey bucket and sponge? Maybe a combo of the 3 buckets and the 3 sponges into one liquid item.

EDIT: While I am here is there anyway we can get a maximum zoom slider in the ini or menu. I like to play normally at 167% but for bosses I zoom all the way out and the keys are nice and all but I can never get it back to 167 with the hotkeys and have to fiddle with the menu being able to lock the maximum zoom in would be a nice feature.

Last edited:
I don't believe pump liquid duping was deliberately impacted. We had some negative gameplay impacting liquid duplication that had to be fixed, and it might have inadvertently impacted this. However, I would say that bonus duplicating from pumps was not a protected bug . . . so if it is fixed in the course of fixing other bugs, that's okay to me. But it shouldn't be deleting other liquids. I'll have to investigate it, but if you could provide more detail in a forum bug section report, I would appreciate it.

Pumps deleting Liquids here ;)

Now, if the Terraspark boots didn't now exist, these would be completely fine. However, now that they do, making these completely screws you out of them. Nobody with a sense of self-preservation is going to want to craft an expensive show-off vanity when they could just slap the Flame Wakers into a Vanity slot, make the Terraspark Boots, and call it a day.
Unless you add some sort of extra functionality that provides an interesting alternative to the Terraspark Boots (and I know that's not an option to you guys), these boots are bad design.
This accessory should be removed, though the sprites could be used to replace the Lava Waders', as they look much nicer and less-visibly old.
The obvious solution is to change the Hellfire Treads to be a tinker of the Flame Walker Boots and the Terraspark boots, and give them all of the Terraspark Boots' functionality. But it's not a pretty solution, because the Hellfire Treads are so clearly a visual fusion of the Flame Walker Boots and the Lava Waders. Maybe it could have its sprite redone.

Another solution would be to give the Flame Walker Boots an extremely powerful effect that makes the Hellfire Treads a viable/situational alternative to the Terraspark boots. In addition, Flame Walker Boots could have the Rocket Boots' jump added to them. And the Dunerider Boots could be added to the final Hellfire Treads tinker.

A bit of personal feedback:

- The Reaver shark could perhaps have it's mining speed inbetween the platinum and bone pickaxe, while keeping it's combat abilities.

- Graveyards can be very overwhelming at the start of the game with zombies opening doors, ghosts passing through walls and ghosts appearing when you attempt to remove the graveyard. It's difficult to maintain that order when multiple people are playing on expert or higher.

- Underground Desert is a huge difficulity spike for something that's available at the start of the game. It might even be the hardest biome of whole pre-hardmode. I would also agree with a damage nerf on the rolling cactus. As these really stand out in contrast with the rest of the enemies.

- Flamelash, and perhaps all magic missle weapons, did needed a buff, but now they feel very powerful. Overshadowing the fire flower and dark lance entirely, which are also gained from Shadow Chests.
The sharp homing, high velocity and piercing makes it feel like an early game Razorblade Typhoon.

- I'd personally disagree with giving the Feral Claws autoswing as that would make the Titan Glove once again a worthless accessory on it's own. But it's probably a weird thought to remove some autoswing from hardmode melee weapons to give the Titan Glove more of an use.

The obvious solution is to change the Hellfire Treads to be a tinker of the Flame Walker Boots and the Terraspark boots, and give them all of the Terraspark Boots' functionality. But it's not a pretty solution, because the Hellfire Treads are so clearly a visual fusion of the Flame Walker Boots and the Lava Waders. Maybe it could have its sprite redone.
Well then we also have to worry about the Flower Boots, as they're basically the other side of the Terraspark coin. Having both the flowers AND the fire with a single accessory would be a little weird.
The whole point of a vanity item is to wear it as vanity, and the fact that these boots are being given functional tinkers WITHOUT any form of visual or functional addition completely goes completely against their design.

Another solution would be to give the Flame Walker Boots an extremely powerful effect that makes the Hellfire Treads a viable/situational alternative to the Terraspark boots. In addition, Flame Walker Boots could have the Rocket Boots' jump added to them. And the Dunerider Boots could be added to the final Hellfire Treads tinker.
You basically just restated what I said with that first sentence, thank you, but if you wanted the Rocket Boots effect on the Lava Waders, you could just... make the Terraspark Boots.
Me and Leinfors also already went over Dunerider Boots being an awkward accessory and how any sidegrade tinkers with them would be equally as weird. Again, if you wanted speed for your Lava Waders... make the Terraspark Boots. The extra sand mobility is only useful in one biome and shouldn't be a deal-breaker in any scenario.

I'd personally disagree with giving the Feral Claws autoswing as that would make the Titan Glove once again a worthless accessory on it's own. But it's probably a weird thought to remove some autoswing from hardmode melee weapons to give the Titan Glove more of an use.

Power Glove is absolutely better than Titan Glove, I don't see why you would want to hold on Titan Glove and want it to worth the slot, unless you skip jungle or have a rock bottom luck to not have already obtain Feral Claws by the time you get your hand on Titan Glove.

Power Glove is absolutely better than Titan Glove, I don't see why you would want to hold on Titan Glove and want it to worth the slot, unless you skip jungle or have a rock bottom luck to not have already obtain Feral Claws by the time you get your hand on Titan Glove.
I didn't mean that I would only use the Titan Glove once I have access to Power Glove, but more that the combination of the power glove feels more worthwhile to combine the melee speed with the autoswing. Rather than having already the access to on Feral Claws.

If Feral Claws had autoswing as well, then combining speed+autoswing to just the same but with knockback would be a tame upgrade.

but if you wanted the Rocket Boots effect on the Lava Waders, you could just... make the Terraspark Boots.
What I meant to suggest was that the Flame Walker Boots could have Rocket Boots' effect and another effect (such as the flames giving enemies On Fire). But they'd have to be much rarer than they are now, and probably limited to Hardmode crates. (Also, Rocket Boots and Flame Walker Boots would not be interchangeable within their respective crafting trees.) I apologize for the poor wording (and for repeating what you said earlier).

As for the Dunerider Boots, the effect is situational and weird, but so is the Ice Skates', and that's part of Terraspark Boots. My rationale is that if the Dunerider Boots were incorporated into the Hellfire Treads tinker, they would no longer be a dead end, and would also introduce a speed boost to the Hellfire Treads (which currently have none at all).

The end result would be:

Terraspark Boots
– Flight, speed boost, extra mobility on ice
– Liquid-walking
– Burning immunity and temporary immunity to lava

Hellfire Treads (new additions in italic)
Flight, speed boost (less than Terraspark), higher speed boost on sand
– Liquid-walking
– Trail of fire (currently cosmetic; possibly buffed to give enemies On Fire)

Currently, Hellfire Treads are lacking flight, a speed boost, and some kind of additional effect – my intention was to fix this without introducing any new items or tinkers. But there's probably some issue here or several that makes this not a good plan.

The Flower/Fairy Boots are a tricky case that I haven't currently thought of a solution to. I feel like the Flower Boots (and thereby the Fairy Boots) need some new kind of effect, replacing the bait-generating effect, that has some kind of useful application outside combat.

Last edited:
But they'd have to be much rarer than they are now, and probably limited to Hardmode crates.
I don't think their chance needs to be lowered any, though I wouldn't be opposed to throwing them into Hardmode.

As for the Dunerider Boots, the effect is situational and weird, but so is the Ice Skates', and that's part of Terraspark Boots.
Yeah, that's why I tried to suggest a more general function for the Ice Skates in my first post, as well as a method of equalizing the Hermes, Flurry, Sailfish, and Dunerider Boots.
The Ice Skates are basically worse Dunerider Boots where you get ONLY the speed-up bonus on sand blocks, except that, instead of all sand blocks, it's ONLY ice blocks and thin ice. The Duneriders at least have the running capability.

I should probably link to my first post with the second one since I make these ideas with previous ones in mind.

Terraspark Boots
– Flight, speed boost, extra mobility on ice
– Liquid-walking

Hellfire Treads (new additions in italic)
Flight, speed boost (less than Terraspark), higher speed boost on sand
– Liquid-walking
– Trail of fire (currently cosmetic; possibly buffed to give enemies On Fire)

Currently, Hellfire Treads are lacking flight, a speed boost, and some kind of additional effect – my intention was to fix this without introducing any new items or tinkers. But there's probably some issue here or several that makes this not a good plan.
Well, yeah, you've basically just turned the Hellfire Treads into a slightly better pair of Terraspark Boots instead of an alternative. Again, if you want the increased mobility, that's what the Frostspark/Terraspark Boots are for. The Lava Waders are more of a large utility item, which the fire trail can fit into pretty well if it actually damaged enemies. On Fire would be useless since so many things are immune to it and it does a literal 4 damage every second, so it should probably deal contact damage instead.

Well, yeah, you've basically just turned the Hellfire Treads into a slightly better pair of Terraspark Boots instead of an alternative. Again, if you want the increased mobility, that's what the Frostspark/Terraspark Boots are for. The Lava Waders are more of a large utility item, which the fire trail can fit into pretty well if it actually damaged enemies. On Fire would be useless since so many things are immune to it and it does a literal 4 damage every second, so it should probably deal contact damage instead.
Maybe if the Hellfire Treads only dealt fire damage, and didn't have any flight capabilities, what I have suggested above would be slightly more balanced.

I didn't mean that I would only use the Titan Glove once I have access to Power Glove, but more that the combination of the power glove feels more worthwhile to combine the melee speed with the autoswing. Rather than having already the access to on Feral Claws.

If Feral Claws had autoswing as well, then combining speed+autoswing to just the same but with knockback would be a tame upgrade.
Ah, that's make sense. But still, autoswing will be much more useful if available pre-hardmode, maybe swap Feral Claws melee speed with autoswing?

Flower/Fairy Boots, again: The Fairy Boots suffer from the same issue as the Hellfire Treads: "Why cut myself off from the Terraspark Boots when I can just equip the Flower Boots in a Vanity slot?" Except that the Flower Boots don't function in the Vanity Slot this time, so the Flower/Fairy Boots are required to be equipped over another accessory in order to even be used. Neither the Hellfire Treads nor the Fairy Boots should logically exist, as their design encourages you to waste useful items on a tiny little visual effect. My solution:
• Allow the Flower Boots to produce flowers even while in the Vanity Slot. As mentioned, they do nothing in the Vanity slot despite being confirmed as a Vanity accessory.
• Allow the Flower Boots' flowers to continue producing critters, but only when no players in the world have them equipped in any Accessory or Vanity slot, so as to prevent easy bait farming. Perhaps add a small delay before flowers begin to grow from the boots as a preventative measure.
• The Fairy Boots, again, should be removed.
Yeah the change to flower boots wasn't merely a nerf it actually makes wearing them a liability. I can understand why they were changed but they need some effect to justify wearing them at all now. Maybe make it to where cutting grass created by the boots have 1% chance of spawning fairies since you can loose access to them if you destroy all the fairy logs.
Speaking of which allow us to pick up at least some of the background objects.
Ambient_objects.png
Fallen_Log.png

I thought about how hallowed mimics only have 4 item drops while crimson/corruption mimics have 5. So... how about the blade staff gets moved to be one of the hallowed mimic's drops? It's palette certainly fits, and it'd be nice to have at least one reliably obtainable flying minion for early hard mode.

There should be some means of accessing the Wizard's bottom set of "bad luck" quotes, which are unobtainable now that negative torch luck was removed. Considering that part of the luck mechanic as originally conceived had to be excised, maybe it should receive some minor additions to compensate. Otherwise, bad luck is barely a thing.

There should be some means of accessing the Wizard's bottom set of "bad luck" quotes, which are unobtainable now that negative torch luck was removed. Considering that part of the luck mechanic as originally conceived had to be excised, maybe it should receive some minor additions to compensate. Otherwise, bad luck is barely a thing.
I think you can still get bad luck from other sources just not torches. No as it turns out I checked and you can no longer get max bad luck even with other sources.

Last edited:
i think i can sum up one of my balancee changes pretty well

"How ya doin' Muramasa?"

also, nearly this entire post i agree with, its really well thought out and it actually makes a lot of these useless upgrades a lot cooler.
Alright, I have a few more Accessories to mention, mainly returning ones from my initial post. This is largely just me addressing things I missed and correcting bad ideas.

fnl6izI.png
Hellfire Treads: Now, if the Terraspark boots didn't now exist, these would be completely fine. However, now that they do, making these completely screws you out of them. Nobody with a sense of self-preservation is going to want to craft an expensive show-off vanity when they could just slap the Flame Wakers into a Vanity slot, make the Terraspark Boots, and call it a day.

PGEoTe6.png
YmON4A9.png
Flower/Fairy Boots, again: The Fairy Boots suffer from the same issue as the Hellfire Treads: "Why cut myself off from the Terraspark Boots when I can just equip the Flower Boots in a Vanity slot?" Except that the Flower Boots don't function in the Vanity Slot this time, so the Flower/Fairy Boots are required to be equipped over another accessory in order to even be used. Neither the Hellfire Treads nor the Fairy Boots should logically exist, as their design encourages you to waste useful items on a tiny little visual effect. My solution:
• Allow the Flower Boots to produce flowers even while in the Vanity Slot. As mentioned, they do nothing in the Vanity slot despite being confirmed as a Vanity accessory.
• Allow the Flower Boots' flowers to continue producing critters, but only when no players in the world have them equipped in any Accessory or Vanity slot, so as to prevent easy bait farming. Perhaps add a small delay before flowers begin to grow from the boots as a preventative measure.
• The Fairy Boots, again, should be removed.

wiGdVtK.png
Magma Stone, again: This is something I need to correct myself on, as I earlier said a 40-DPS debuff would be fine for when you get this thing, using a mod I'd played that did just that as an example. It turns out I had been missing a bit of info; Bame clarified to me that the weapons he made naturally inflict a 50-DPS debuff had abysmal damage without it. So, my new proposition is to have the Magma Stone inflict a new debuff that instead deals 15 DPS and can be inflicted on more enemies than On Fire. This stronger debuff would carry on over to every tinker it has.

OwtXNCv.png
Fire Gauntlet, again*: I will, however, stand by giving the Fire Gauntlet a debuff that deals around 40 DPS. You are required to fight the three Mechs in order to get the Avenger Emblem needed for this, which is an accessory that, fittingly, grants a raw damage boost. Again, this debuff should have more flexibility on what it can be inflicted on.

NwnMznP.png
Molten Quiver: This one's a nitpick more than a balance idea, but the Magma Stone? I'd be okay with this if the Magma Stone didn't specifically affect Melee attacks only.
Admittedly, it would be more useful IF you implement the Magma Stone changes, even if you basically just start firing slightly-less-crappy arrows that

RbvDpuC.png
Feral Glove: I believe Bame suggested this already, but the Feral Glove should get the Autoswing bonus instead of the Titan Glove, as Autoswing is much more helpful in PreHardmode due to Melee's underperformance. Yeah, steef, it makes the Titan Glove less useful on its own, but at it least IT has a unique functionality, unlike the Anklet of the Wind.

VHbPv33.png
Band of Starpower, again: I actually have TWO things to go over with this item.
1) +20 Mana is something any other accessory could do with a modifier. It seems you guys realized this, as you ditch the effect entirely with the Magic Cuffs. The Mana Regeneration Band also completely ditches the HEALTH regeneration in favor of Mana, which, I get it, but I don't think that was entirely necessary. An idea I have to make the Mana Regen Band and Magic Cuffs make a little more sense is to have the Band of Starpower increase Mana regeneration, the Mana Regeneration Band increase both Health and Mana regeneration, and the Cuffs have a doubled Mana regen bonus at the cost of losing the health regen.
2) I don't know if you saw the post, but I came up with an accessory to replace the Band in the Shadow Orb. If you're interested, click the spoiler below; if you're not, or if you did read the earlier post, then don't, I guess.
Paranoid Pendant (Found in Shadow Orbs)
Instead of acting after you've been hit, like the Panic Necklace, the Paranoid Pendant functions until you're hit.
•Highlights the closest enemy on-screen with a Hunter Potion glow, increasing your Critical Strike Chance against them by 20%.
•Getting hit will close the eye, disabling the accessory entirely for 3 seconds. Further tinkers of this item will have EVERY aspect of it disabled, increasing both the reward and the risk.

uIrimOb.png
Mana Cloak, again: Oh I thought you meant that the FALLING stars homed in on ENEMIES. Though, remembering it now, I think my brain just muddled what you said with what I was expecting. Sorry; I only had player descriptions to go off of for this thing.
Okay, yeah, I actually kind of like this thing. I do still think the Star Cloak and its tinkers need a raw damage boost, though, as I saw the stars from this Cloak rain down and do a whopping 30 damage each, assuming they even hit. 90 damage total, even if all three stars hit a single enemy, is nooot a lotta damage. You don't even need Flex Tape for that; just give the enemy a kiss near the point of impact and it's set to go.
If you're planning on using the Flamelash mechanics on the cloaks' stars, they should go through blocks so they actually get a chance to use that second hit instead of just scraping the pixels of a block and vaporizing.

tC6IUza.png
Flesh Knuckles, again: Okay, looking back at this, I don't think buffing the defense is really gonna accomplish too much without causing problems. A secondary damage-retaliation effect would make sense with these, as brass knuckles are primaaaarily weapons.

uyco7fQ.png
MyVMJHr.png
Paladin's and Hero's Shields, again: As with the Magma Stone, I went a little overboard with these two last time, mostly due to a sudden underestimation of the usefulness of defense. My final suggestion for the Paladin's Shield is increasing its defense to 16, with the Flesh Knuckles' tinker into the Hero's Shield granting 23 at the cost of a 20% movement speed reduction. I stand my ground that their current defense values are not that helpful.
The Frozen Shield, however? I think that's perfect as-is; the 10-defense drop is justified.

7aLzvB1.png
iFMIZBG.png
xBz7McX.png
Cobalt Shield, Obsidian Skull, and Obsidian Shield: This isn't too significant of a problem, but their defense feels tacked on for the sole reason that the Cobalt Shield and Obsidian Skull are just Shackles with additional effects. A simple bump to 2 defense for both of them would be enough, with the Obsidian Shield granting a combined 4, just like the Ankh Shield.

z6tmvmc.png
Shiny Red Balloon*: I appreciate that you guys guaranteed the chance of getting biome items from Crates, but you need THREE balloons for a whole bundle. Just to make things a little less tedious, the chance for Shiny Red Balloons should be raised to 50%, in turn lowering the chances for Lucky Horseshoes and Starfuries to 25%.

h6ZXmwr.png
Pygmy Necklace and Avenger Emblem: Mysteriously, Summoners have an Emblem, but not an Avenger accessory. The Pygmy Necklace is also just kinda sitting there, existing. Seems like a match made in heaven, if you ask me. If you guys do go for that, though, make sure you don't turn it into a repeat of the...

86gABQr.png
Celestial Emblem: Increases Magic damage by 15% and star pickup range by 20 tiles. Okay, yes... but is that it? The Mechanical Glove has the Fire Gauntlet after it; the Destroyer Emblem the Sniper Scope. Wouldn't it make sense to give this thing a finishing tinker? My idea was to have the Avenger Emblem tinker with the Magic Cuffs into a new set of cuffs ("Vengeful Cuffs"?), and then have THOSE tinker into the Celestial Magnet. If that seems like too much, there are a couple of other Celestial Magnet tinkers you guys added; maybe those could be candidates for a similar treatment? Make sure the Pygmy Necklace and Avenger Emblem tinker ("Prime Necklace"? cough) have a similar thing too, assuming you go for that idea.

HRZjRWO.png
Recon Scope
: Uh, WAIT, I TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID ABOUT THE PUTRID SCENT TINKERS IN THE FIRST POST, BUT ONLY FOR THIS ONE.
It's currently a pointless tinker, yes, but adding on ANOTHER 5% Ranged Damage and Critical Strike bonus be an even worse decision, as you would be bumping up the total bonuses to an insane +15%. I would suggest that this be made with the Rifle Scope instead of the Sniper Scope, though then it'd just be a worse Sniper Scope. I have two solutions:
1) Scrap the item entirely, as the Sniper Scope didn't need a further bonus to begin with.
2) Replace the Sniper Scope in the recipe with the Rifle Scope, and get a little creative. I would suggest a tinker of the Putrid Scent with that Band of Starpower replacement to be used in place of the Putrid Scent if tinker requests were a valid option in this thread and you show any vague amount of interest in the mentioned replacement item

ImgOokN.png
Pocket Mirror: Yeah, we all knew this was gonna get mentioned at some point. With an incredibly low drop rate, the situationalness of the Ice Skates, and the complete lack of tinkers, the Pocket Mirror really doesn't get any use at all. Obviously, everyone and their mother is just gonna suggest to throw it into the Ankh Shield, but here's a more creative idea, if you're up for that: let it occasionally reflect incoming projectiles. This suddenly lets the mirror be applied to literally any situation with projectiles, and, as an added bonus, you could even get Medusa to petrify herself! The Pocket Mirror not having a tinker suddenly isn't a problem, though you could throw it into a tinker with the Ankh Shield if you, uh, really think that's necessary. That seems like a Red thing to do, at this point.

319KN26.png
Hand Warmer: Okay yeah I can't really do much for this one; throw it into the Ankh Shield. To make it actually obtainable throughout most of the year without the otherworldly interference of changing your computer's date, it can be an Ice Chest item in the Underground Tundra. Tinker it with the Blindfold, as it forgot to bring a date to the Ankh Prom, and yeah this thing is solid. Feel free to make the sprite nightmare fuel.
cIdzo0M.png

I meant to go over more Accessories, but I'm having trouble remembering things right now so I need to go clear my head.

• Love
Reactions: Bry
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom