Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that is a much more intelligent solution than whatever I could have mustered. The Panic Necklace remains unaddressed, but I think your solution is the best one I've seen yet.
Thanks man! I've had the idea in my head for AGES. The Panic Necklace is something I thought about too but couldn't come up with a *real* solution for, the closest thing I could think of would be to make the necklace a craftable item with 20 Crimtane ore / 2 bars and a chain, but it doesn't seem fit to be a post boss accessory unless it was buffed a tad

while in the Crimson you can get the panic necklace which mostly benefits melee players.

That's funny because I personally think the Panic Necklace is more beneficial to mage/ranger players more since you can get away from the thing that's causing you damage faster

Reactions: Bry
Thanks man! I've had the idea in my head for AGES. The Panic Necklace is something I thought about too but couldn't come up with a *real* solution for, the closest thing I could think of would be to make the necklace a craftable item with 20 Crimtane ore / 2 bars and a chain, but it doesn't seem fit to be a post boss accessory unless it was buffed a tad
Yeah, I just opted to make a new counterpart accessory for it, but that's not in the scope of this thread and I couldn't come up with anything else that didn't involve doing that.
The Panic Necklace will now start creating actual, real-life panic until it gets a good solution.

Pyramids seem to be rarer in 1.4 than in 1.3 and the Sandstorm in a Bottle is required for Bundle of Balloons, so i would suggest making Sandstorm in a Bottle have a chance of droping from Oasis crates and making Pharaoh’s set having either Sandstorm in a Bottle or Magic Carpet appear beside the set in the Pyramid. The Bundle of Balloons is unobtainable in most of the playthroughs just because of the Sandstorm in a Bottle and i hate finding a Pyramid just to find out that it only contains Pharaoh’s set.

I personally like never use the Band of Starpower in my mage playthroughs, even its upgrades. I actually don't use any mage accessories except the Mana Flower.
I've actually noticed that Corruption is more suited for mages and the Crimson for melee. In the Corruption you can get the band of starpower and the putrid scent, which can be combined with the Mana Flower to upgrade the accessory, while in the Crimson you can get the panic necklace which mostly benefits melee players. Crimson Mimics also drop the Flesh Knuckles which can be combined with the Power Glove to make the Berserker's Glove: a powerful melee accessory.
So sorry if you like the crimson but you also use the Band of Starpower. But who knows, maybe they'll balance the evils out a little more.
On the flipside of that, the Eater of Worlds drops the Worm Scarf in Expert/Master, which as a melee player I consider an absolute necessity.

Pyramids seem to be rarer in 1.4 than in 1.3 and the Sandstorm in a Bottle is required for Bundle of Balloons, so i would suggest making Sandstorm in a Bottle have a chance of droping from Oasis crates and making Pharaoh’s set having either Sandstorm in a Bottle or Magic Carpet appear beside the set in the Pyramid. The Bundle of Balloons is unobtainable in most of the playthroughs just because of the Sandstorm in a Bottle and i hate finding a Pyramid just to find out that it only contains Pharaoh’s set.
Leinfors said he wants to add the Pyramid loot to Oasis/Mirage Crates, but currently lacks the power to do that.
On the flipside of that, the Eater of Worlds drops the Worm Scarf in Expert/Master, which as a melee player I consider an absolute necessity.
I dunno, man, a 1/6 dodge chance ALONGSIDE confusing enemies is a much more appealing item to me than just a flat damage reduction.
It seems like more of a personal preference thing with these two, except that haha wait the brain also has a critical strike bonus shoehorned in that makes it unreasonably good.

They
Actually, they give you an infinite source of bait while standing on forest/jungle grass (which is the only way to consistently get Buggy when you need him), but it's still an extremely weird combination that probably isn't what was needed.
-
YmON4A9.png

PGEoTe6.png

Fairy/Flower Boots: I... don't understand why you would want to make this. The Flower Boots are completely cosmetic, and the Spectre Boots have another tinker that actually grants benefits. Perhaps if the wearer was healed a tiny amount for every flower they grew, it would be an interesting option.
They could also be used to farm strange plants for strange dyes

They

-
YmON4A9.png

PGEoTe6.png

Fairy/Flower Boots: I... don't understand why you would want to make this. The Flower Boots are completely cosmetic, and the Spectre Boots have another tinker that actually grants benefits. Perhaps if the wearer was healed a tiny amount for every flower they grew, it would be an interesting option.
They could also be used to farm strange plants for strange dyes
Yes, thanks for beautifully quoting my old post, and not the newer one that better explains the problem and is less suggestiony.
clayMan.png

Also why did you post a suggestion here and not in the suggestions forum where you put an AMA thread

Hey! Long time fan of the game and I just created an account to post on this thread as something has been bothering me for quite a while.

My usual class of choice in prehardmode is the mage and one of the best early game accessories for mages is the Band of Starpower as it can be combined with the Band of Regeneration and further on with the Shackle to create the Magic Cuffs, for an extremely useful accessory for mages though out the whole game. My complaint comes with the fact that it's impossible to get the Band of Starpower on a world with Crimson as its world evil.

A way most people get around this is by either creating a seperate Corruption world to get a Band of Starpower or by creating an artificial Corruption in their Crimson world and fish for the Band, and while both options are ok, they both require going into a seperate world, something I (and a lot of other people) don't like doing in a playthough.

The Band of Starpower doesn't have a Crimson counterpart, the closest thing it has is the Band of Regeneration which isn't a Crimson item, but what if it was?

My full proposal is that the Band of Starpower should still be a Shadow Orb item with the Band of Regeneration becoming a Crimson Heart item (or at least an item you can get from the Crimson) with the opposite band to the one your world evil provides being able to be found underground where the Band of Regeneration is now. (If your world is Corruption, the Band of Regen will be underground whereas if your world is Crimson, the Band of Starpower will be underground). This way, it'd be possible to get the Magic Cuffs on both kinds of worlds natively.

Thank you for reading my suggestion, love the work you've put in! (especially the new Magic Missle, Flamelash and Rainbow rods, they've become must haves for all playthoughs for me now!)

It is now possible to get the band of star power in a crimson world, you can buy crimson seeds from a dryad in a graveyard biome in hardmode. But I like this suggestion a lot too.

Attack pattern of *enraged* Duke Fishron is too simple without randomness and need to be tweaked. Check my thread for examples with figures included:

Here is what I wrote there:

Just some simple tracks and wooden minecart. He can never hit (even in expert phase 3)!

Since truffle worm can be farmed before defeating any of the mechanical bosses, this method provide an easy way to get OP weapons immediately after Wall of Flesh, without any skill or gear requirement. IMO it should be buffed with more complex attack patterns. (or some randomized attacks?)

Added more examples of abusing enraged duke fishron. #1. Anti-gravity hook. Simply grapple and keep spinning. #2. Long platforms. Jumping practice and muscle memory are required for fixed lunging patterns.

I'm posting here because of two reasons. First, they changed Reaver Shark and Meteorites, and these two are popular gear boosting strategies in expert mode. Duke fishron after Wall of Flesh should be the third. Second, the boosting effect of defeating duke fishron is super significant (than previous two). One can easily take all three mechanical bosses together with fishron weapons, essentially RUIN other players' experience in multiplayer.

I'm not sure if devs know this or not. Simply moves truffle worm spawn after plantera will work, but it may be a 'punish' for those who can really defeat duke fishron with gears before any mechanical bosses in ocean biome, which requires much more patience, skill and practice than just copying a rigid minetrack design.

The original problem is duke fishron doesn't obey the rule - "enraged boss should be significantly harder to kill". I've tried most enraged boss fights and find out his enraged mode could be an obvious weakness. I believe devs think "ok we just give it infinite superfast lunge and it should wipe out any player in a matter of seconds" and I'm proving they're wrong.
Listing the possible consequences like getting op weapons doesn't change the fact that this enrage pattern is a lazy and bad design that does not suffice.

Here is what I wrote there:

Just some simple tracks and wooden minecart. He can never hit (even in expert phase 3)!

Since truffle worm can be farmed before defeating any of the mechanical bosses, this method provide an easy way to get OP weapons immediately after Wall of Flesh, without any skill or gear requirement. IMO it should be buffed with more complex attack patterns. (or some randomized attacks?)

Added more examples of abusing enraged duke fishron. #1. Anti-gravity hook. Simply grapple and keep spinning. #2. Long platforms. Jumping practice and muscle memory are required for fixed lunging patterns.

I'm posting here because of two reasons. First, they changed Reaver Shark and Meteorites, and these two are popular gear boosting strategies in expert mode. Duke fishron after Wall of Flesh should be the third. Second, the boosting effect of defeating duke fishron is super significant (than previous two). One can easily take all three mechanical bosses together with fishron weapons, essentially RUIN other players' experience in multiplayer.

I'm not sure if devs know this or not. Simply moves truffle worm spawn after plantera will work, but it may be a 'punish' for those who can really defeat duke fishron with gears before any mechanical bosses in ocean biome, which requires much more patience, skill and practice than just copying a rigid minetrack design.

The original problem is duke fishron doesn't obey the rule - "enraged boss should be significantly harder to kill". I've tried most enraged boss fights and find out his enraged mode could be an obvious weakness. I believe devs think "ok we just give it infinite superfast lunge and it should wipe out any player in a matter of seconds" and I'm proving they're wrong.
Listing the possible consequences like getting op weapons doesn't change the fact that this enrage pattern is a lazy and bad design that does not suffice.
Do the sharknados or detonating bubbles not manage to hit you too? Or does enraged Duke Fishtron just not use them? I've seen a lot of youtube videos about killing Duke Fishtron and none of them show any of your methods, all of them rely on skill. I think you're just too smart lol

Do the sharknados or detonating bubbles not manage to hit you too? Or does enraged Duke Fishtron just not use them? I've seen a lot of youtube videos about killing Duke Fishtron and none of them show any of your methods, all of them rely on skill. I think you're just too smart lol

Enraged Duke Fishron never use any attack except lunging at you. Although his damage and defense increase a lot, his movement is much more predictable (than sharknados or detonating bubbles). This allows his fight to be cheesed with 0 dmg taken in different ways, and some of these require 0 skill.
I'm not the one who discover this. Cheesing enraged duke fishron using minecart after WoF is pretty popular, wide-spread (and notorious) in our local community, but people here may not be familar with it. (How notorious? If anyone wants to upload video about challanging hardmode runs that showing his skill, he has to say "Items from duke fishron are banned", otherwise nobody would watch it)

Last edited:
I love Journey Mode, I really do, I've been playing it obsessively since release, but there are a few things I feel need mentioning.

A bunch of items that are available to duplicate don't show up in any of the tabs.
There needs to be a vanity tab and a furniture tab.
There needs to be a way to see what items you are missing from the duplication menu so you can make sure to get literally everything (I'm very much a collector type when it comes to games, and I wanna start building too now JM is a thing, but I wanna make sure I have everything first).
You should be able to shift click on items in the duplication menu so you can select the exact number you want to duplicate, a full stack or just one then having to hold the mouse button down and guess when the right time to let go is tedious and results in a lot of faffing about.
The Goblin Tinkerer should sell Upgrade Plans that tell you what accessories can be made from grouping other accessories together, highlighting items you are currently missing.
Spawning NPCs and Critters should have a slider separate from the spawning enemies slider.

In respect to the pyramid issue, why not just make pyramids as common al living tree groves and add multiple treasure rooms to increase the chance of getting good loot?View attachment 275457
That would make pyramids much better then they currently are.
wait, theres more than one treasure room in a pyramid?
No, that is fan made, though on the old mobile version there used to be a second hidden room.

I'd just put pyramid loot in oasis crates. In over four years I've gotten at least 4 pharoah sets, 1 sandstorm, and no magic carpets >.<
I'm not opposed to that. I'd just like to see pyramids get a little love rather than be functionally abandoned as a feature. Pack em' full of scarab beetles or gnome mummies or something. Anything really.
pharoah sets
Pharoah set could really stand to have some stats.

I'd just put pyramid loot in oasis crates. In over four years I've gotten at least 4 pharoah sets, 1 sandstorm, and no magic carpets >.<

I approve of this. It would be a great supplement when getting a pyramid in the world isn't all too common. Even then, you either have to either dig or load up TEdit to really know for sure sometimes.

I'm not opposed to that. I'd just like to see pyramids get a little love rather than be functionally abandoned as a feature. Pack em' full of scarab beetles or gnome mummies or something. Anything really.

Pharoah set could really stand to have some stats.

I agree to this. Pyramids should have two to three chambers in them. It would also help in less overall world clutter by having fewer pyramids in odd worlds where they would otherwise spawn five or six of them. As for the Pharoah set, I would like to see it become a beginner's summoner set i- something somewhat minor with a total of 15% summon damage, +1 minion and maybe only 5 or 6 defense total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom