Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summoners could get a little bit of love from every class, the whips already provide a melee attack for them, magic guns/other weapons that 'summon' things (the bee gun and beenades for example) should deal summon damage instead so they also have ranged options. These things already fit summoners more thematically, just changing the damage type would seal the deal.

magic guns/other weapons that 'summon' things (the bee gun and beenades for example) should deal summon damage instead so they also have ranged options

That would make those weapons decidedly less useful for non-summoners. Basically, every drop off of the Queen Bee would have a "non-Summoners need not apply" sticker on it. The Queen Bee already gives you the first summoner armor; it doesn't need to be made even more specific.

Summoners could get a little bit of love from every class, the whips already provide a melee attack for them, magic guns/other weapons that 'summon' things (the bee gun and beenades for example) should deal summon damage instead so they also have ranged options. These things already fit summoners more thematically, just changing the damage type would seal the deal.
If you really want your summoner to use the bee gun then just use the bee gun. There's nothing in the game preventing summoners from using it. The game never locks you to using one weapon type that's a restriction player's apply to themselves.

Locking yourself to one class is never optimal if you're playing melee ranger or mage you can have up to 3 summon slots without any sort of gear investment that can contribute free dps. So why should summoners be expected to go pure?

fnl6izI.png
Hellfire Treads: Now, if the Terraspark boots didn't exist, these would be completely fine. However, now that they do, making these completely screws you out of them. Nobody with a sense of self-preservation is going to want to craft an expensive show-off vanity when they could just slap the Flame Wakers into a Vanity slot, make the Terraspark Boots, and call it a day.
Unless you add some sort of extra functionality that provides an interesting alternative to the Terraspark Boots (and I know that's not an option to you guys), these boots are bad design.
This accessory should be removed, though the sprites could be used to replace the Lava Waders', as they look much nicer and less-visibly old.

I fundamentally do not agree with removing content. Sorry, I will never support removing vanity items just for their own sake. I think you might need to just accept this one as-is.

PGEoTe6.png
YmON4A9.png
Flower/Fairy Boots, again: Now, the only real convenience to the Fairy Boots is the increased mobility, but if you already have a pair of Spectre Boots or better, you can just swap out a different, non-running boots accessory and get the same benefit. The tinker is only relevant if you just don’t use running boots during normal play, but with the Terraspark Boots now existing, the chance of that is a LOT slimmer, even if it is still possible. I’m not completely opposed to the Fairy Boots, but they don’t do anything that you couldn’t have done already. Not like you can make the “opening up new slots” argument for this accessory; nobody ever wears it for any longer than it takes to plant the flowers they want, which typically isn't for very long.
Giving it a more permanent function that lets you justify equipping it permanently might be the only other good solution to this problem. Reminder to everyone that the flowers the Flower and Fairy Boots create CAN drop critters; you just need to not have them equipped for that to work.

I think we've been over this, nothing new to say. These aren't changing.

WMLL61p.png
Sandstorm in a Bottle: The only other alternative I can think of that's not moving this to the Oasis and Mirage Crates is to turn it into an uncommon Sand Elemental drop/have it be craftable with a Cloud in a Bottle and 1 Forbidden Fragment. I don't know if that'd be any easier of a sell, but it's less-preferable to the crates, so this idea is suggested as a last resort.

I have a feeling that, much like "Basilisks drop fossils", it would be not relevant anymore at that point. I'm still looking for a better solution I can sell.

wiGdVtK.png
Magma Stone, again: This is something I need to correct myself on, as I earlier said a 40-DPS debuff would be a perfect increase in damage for the point in the game players would get the Magma Stone, pointing to a Rebalancing mod I'd recently tried out that did just that for an example. It turns out I had been missing an important piece of info: the weapons that the mod made naturally inflict a 50-DPS debuff only had such a high DoT debut because their damage output would be abysmal without it. My correction for this idea is to have the Magma Stone instead inflict a new debuff that deals 15 DPS, still with the ability to be inflicted on more enemies than On Fire. This rebalanced debuff would carry on over to every tinker it has, save for one.

OwtXNCv.png
Fire Gauntlet, again*: This is the one. I stand by the original buff to the Magma Stone’s fire damage, but only for this tinker. You are required to fight the three Mechanical Bosses in order to get the Avenger Emblem needed for the preceding tinker, which is an accessory that, fittingly for this buff, grants a raw damage boost. Again, this debuff should have more flexibility on what it can be inflicted on so that it doesn’t become completely useless like On Fire.

Will be a hard sell, and I'm of the opinion that people will just continue to insist "its not enough" anyway. Once I (hopefully) fix the 2% issue on Fire Gauntlet, then its literally just free damage. Doesn't matter if its trivially low, free damage is free damage. Doesn't make Magma Stone much better, but IDK.

NwnMznP.png
Molten Quiver: This one's a nitpick more than a balance idea, but the Magma Stone? I'd be fine with this if the Magma Stone wasn’t specifically a Melee accessory, though I admit that it would be a decent upgrade IF you implement the Magma Stone changes. I’m still disappointed you guys couldn’t have put in the effort to come up with a new ranged accessory for this kind of tinker, though.

Not sure what the problem is. Combined with Infinite Quiver, this is effectively Infinite Fire Arrows. We weren't going to add Infinite Quivers for every type of arrow, but that's what this allows. I think that's is sufficient.

RbvDpuC.png
Feral Glove: I believe Bame suggested this already, but the Feral Glove should get the Autoswing bonus instead of the Titan Glove, as Autoswing is much more helpful in PreHardmode due to Melee's underperformance. Yeah, it makes the Titan Glove less useful on its own, but at least IT has unique functionality, unlike the Anklet of the Wind and its being a slightly-better Aglet except not really because you don’t even have justification to use it, ever.[/SPOILER]

Ep6GxQv.png
Titan Glove
: ...Well, I guess the Titan Glove would then become another “never equipped on its own” accessory. Fine, I‘ll propose an effect to take the Autoswing’s spot, though I don’t think this is completely necessary and also this isn't the right plaaace for that.
As Titans are inherently l a r g e, perhaps the Titan Glove could increase the size of melee weapons by 20% alongside the knockback bonus? That number might need adjusting, but I think an item that increases weapon size is a pretty neat addition.

I'm not sure about this, would be a difficult sell but . . . maybe. I have no idea the technical limitations of this, and it wouldn't work on a lot of melee weapons. I'll put it in my notes.

Thorns Potion
Dryad's Blessing.png's Blessing.png
Turtle armor equipped (male)
On the topic of Thorns effects: Every effect that directly returns damage to attackers (Thorns damage) needs to deal a lot MORE damage to be actually worth the cost of getting hit, especially since enemies can easily circumvent it with projectiles. You shouldn't have to worry about these doing excessive damage too much, since, again, you need to take damage, yourself, for the effect to work, and Thorns damage is directly proportional to how much damage YOU take. I also noticed that Turtle Armor overrides all other Thorns effects; these effects should be able to stack.
  • Both the Thorns Potion buff and Dryad's Blessing should deal 350% Thorns damage; still not much individually, but it definitely provides much more of an effect.
  • The Turtle Armor's Thorns bonus should deal 600% Thorns damage to compensate for the heightened toughness of the armor. This could potentially instantly kill stronger enemies.
    • The Turtle's Armor, in general, seem to be a little lacking. The Thorns buff won't be enough on its own; some minor stat buffs may be required.

I am EXTREMELY hesitant to make a blanket Thorns buff of that severity. I already felt like the Turtle Armor buff was playing with fire. An additional 3x increase will never happen in one update. MAYBE in small iterations. And making Thorns Pot/Dryad's Blessing 2x as strong as current Turtle Armor is a pretty bold push. More iteration please, this is too sledgehammer.

I'd be interested in looking into buffs for Thorns Pot/Dryad's Blessing, but not a 10-15x increase.

7aLzvB1.png
iFMIZBG.png
xBz7McX.png
Cobalt Shield, Obsidian Skull, and Obsidian Shield: This isn't too significant of a problem, but their defense feels tacked on for the sole reason that the Cobalt Shield and Obsidian Skull are just Shackles with additional effects. I know said effects are the only reason people even wear them, but if they’re going to grant a defense bonus, it should at least be noticeable.
A simple bump to 2 defense for both of them would be enough, with the Obsidian Shield granting a combined 4, just like the Ankh Shield. If you wanna bump up the Ankh Shield's defense after that, sure, but I don't think it's entirely necessary. The Paladin's Shield is probably a better option in Singleplayer, though.

Free defense is free defense. It doesn't need to be higher just because it exists. These are not bad items that need a buff.

ImgOokN.png
Pocket Mirror: Yeah, we all knew this was gonna get mentioned at some point. With an incredibly low drop rate, the situationalness of the Ice Skates, and the complete lack of tinkers, the Pocket Mirror really doesn't get any use at all. Obviously, everyone and their mother is just gonna suggest to throw it into the Ankh Shield, but here's a more creative idea, if you're up for that: let it occasionally reflect incoming projectiles. This suddenly lets the mirror be applied to literally any situation with projectiles, and, as an added bonus, you could even get Medusa to petrify herself! The Pocket Mirror not having a tinker suddenly isn't a problem, though you could throw it into a tinker with the Ankh Shield if you, uh, really think that's necessary. That seems like a Red thing to do, at this point.

This is not a balance change. This is a content addition which would probably create dozens of bugs and require a phenomenal amount of testing and dev time. Nuh-uh.

Could we possibly get a buff to the turtle armor/chlorophyte armor? I understand that you have to defeat the mech bosses multiple times to get enough hallowed bars for a full armor set, but to even mine chlorophyte you need to beat all the mech bosses and mine for it. The mining isn't hard work; and the turtle shells aren't super bad to get, but turtle isn't even a sidegrade. With turtle you only get around 10 more defense than hallowed melee; but you don't gain the attack speed buff of hallowed nor the ridiculous shadow dodge. The passive 15% dmg reduction is decent but shadow dodge just does way better; and the thorns ability really doesn't matter because the amount of damage you can deal out in that part of the game is way more than what thorns would do.

Well, there are a few things to say here:
1. Turtle Armor did get a buff in 1.4. Did it get to where it needed to be? IDK. I've gotten some feedback that it can be used to be a little too facetanky in Expert mode, which is concerning. But its worth noting that it HAS been buffed to a degree.
2. Power creep concerns. Titanium's buff was ALWAYS crazy good, and I think we weren't satisfied with that buff being where it was. So we moved it to Hallowed instead, because we knew it was too popular to remove outright, and if one set has to be "too good", we'd rather it be Hallowed than Titanium. As such, yes, this is going to introduce some issues with Chlorophyte not necessarily being a great option. And I think maybe that's sorta a foregone conclusion. If we set Shadow Dodge/Holy Protection as the "bar", and then everything else needs to meet that bar, then everything is just going to get massively buffed. I don't think I agree with that. I'd rather nerf Holy Protection, if it really came down to it.

However, I'm not fundamentally opposed to some continuing assessment of the two sets, but there is a definite power creep concern to work around here and if anything, Hallowed Armor is the outlier, and should not set the standard.

I have a suggestion.

Now that there are whips in the game the ivy whip, which is a grappling hook, should be renamed.

Perhaps swap the names of the snapthorn and the ivy whip.

I brought this up a few months ago when we added them, was denied. Guess its a legacy thing.

• A small crystal bullet nerf would help balance.
Don't. The shards don't even hit targets that effectively.

Testing Ranged DPS in a variety of situations and ammo types was one of the things I did a phenomenal amount of focus on leading up to release. And I gotta say, I'm pretty strongly of the opinion that Crystal Bullets ARE too strong. The increased DPS they grant to many guns is insane, they basically give it an entire tier's worth of DPS, oftentimes doubling the damage dealt. Yes, they are more subject to defense, that is entirely valid and true. Even so, outside of Chlorophyte Bullets, there are few scenarios where using anything other than Crystal Bullets is ideal. They are like the Holy Arrows of bullets.

Medusa Head

Medusa Head is far less useful now than it was before.
Before, even though it was underpowered, at least you could use it defensively; hide, charge, and then pop out with a big blast and go back into hiding.

Now, even in the reveal gif you guys posted, weak enemies like common eyeballs weren't defeated until they already rammed the player, 9 hits later, with absolutely no option for defensive use, since you have to be in the face of the enemy to even use it. Testing the weapon myself, I've found literally no way to use this weapon without being really close to an enemy and letting it ram you for free, since this thing does not knock anything back, and requires constant prolonged use up in their face with no defensive options whatsoever.
The limit to 3 enemies does not make things better. The weapon is currently worse than most pre-hardmode items.

I don't really know what to say here other than . . . I disagree with you? I used the new Medusa Head to great effect in multiple playthroughs. Its possible its range is too low, but your proposals of buffing its range to 2x/3x AND removing the enemy cap? There's no way. Its basically an auto-aiming multi-hitting/can't miss attack. Uncapping it and giving it high range would be far too powerful IMO. As for the gif where the player was hit, this was taken to show how the weapon works, and they were literally standing still while a pack of HM enemies charged at them. Is that how you are trying to use it? Because its not designed as a weapon where you can just stand still and it kills everything coming at you. Especially not in Master mode.

This is not "ramming range".

1591722080170.png

I'm not opposed to a minor range increase, but I simply don't agree with your assessment.

I have a minor suggestions at buffing the crystal shard. Compared to most of the other mimic weapon weapons it feels mediocre. I decided to look at its strengths and flaws. First of all, there is little point in spamming multiple shards because of the pierce I-frames. Secondly, the DPS is fairly low, compared to stormbow, and there's not much of a reason to use it. I figured it'd be unfair to compare it to a really good item, so I'll compare it to the other mimic drop, the flying knife.

I'm not entirely satisfied with where CVS is currently, but it was buffed in 1.4. I'm trying to iterate carefully with my changes, and I didn't want to make it too strong, so I had some more gradual adjustments. There is also a new defense piercing system I can use, and I likely would have used, on CVS, if it had been available at the time, but it was a last second addition so it was too late.

But I'm not sure I like the idea of making it a stun-lock/minimal damage thing, people already seem pretty displeased with its damage. For what its worth, one of the things I changed was making its duration somewhat longer, if that is relevant.

• Some Jungle drops are weak .
    • 3 Hornets have 13 dps. 1 Musket has 55. (1.3 hornets used here)
    • New beekeper 49. New fiery greatsword 53 (and way better range and easier to get)

I'd like to point out, the difference here is that a Summoner isn't JUST using the Hornets. That Summoner can also use a Musket, or a Bee Gun, or a Snapthorn, and they end up doing a lot more DPS. I'm not saying Hornets don't need some re-assessment, but comparing raw Summon DPS without weapon use versus just a weapon doesn't capture the entirety of the situation.

Spectre Mask

I'll reference Jota's post again: 'Little known fact, the orbs spawned with the Mask each have a cooldown, this means that with something that hits very rapidly you will initially get a massive burst of balls, and then very disappointing DPS. "Something that hits very rapidly" is how you describe every good Post Plantera weapon, so this a worse choice than Hallowed armor.'

The rapid fire weapons deal low damage on each hit, but the Spectre Mask's projectiles just copy that base damage. Combine that with a long cooldown on the projectiles, and this means that its magic DPS is actually worse than Chlorophyte armor and Hallowed armor. Spectre Mask should have its orb cooldown reduced, so that it is able to synergize better with rapid-fire magic weapons like Razorpine – either that or boost the orbs' damage even further, or have them deal a flat high amount that isn't affected by weapon damage.

Worth noting that 1.4 increased the cooldown "recharge rate" rather substantially, as well as increasing the damage of the projectiles (they consume more cap, but are less impacted by defense), which can't be ignored here. Any calculations made considering 1.3.5.3's cooldown may need to be redone.

Also, the orbs are homing, and that is a relevant consideration people often do not factor in when looking at raw damage.

I'm open to further changes to this, but it would probably take the form of "increasing recharge rate" even further.

Ore Swords

Ore swords are currently useless. Here is a change to increase their utility:
– While wearing the matching armor set, ore swords restore damage to you as health on a crit

This would apply to both shortswords and broadswords. My inspiration here is the game Bloodborne, which utilizes lifesteal as a combat mechanic to reward aggressive gameplay. I'm not sure how good this would actually be, but the healing on crit might increase survivability and mitigate the danger of getting close to enemies. They'd also synergize well with anything that boosted crit chance.

Just saying, new sources of health stealing are probably never going to happen, in any form. I'm surprised Red didn't remove the old ones years ago.

The other one is even supposed to be part of this topic? I thought this was entirely about weapons and items, lol. But while we're on it: how about making explosives work only if you have a meteorite (or hardmode) pickaxe in your inventory? Both things prove either of the following conditions:

1.- You've spent enough time manually mining the meteorite to have experienced the risks it involves.
2.- You're way past the point where the meteorite represents any interesting threat, at this point, meteorites would be a nuisance at best, so explosives would just be saving you the time to mine them.

Nuking HM Meteors seems reasonable to me. I'm not opposed to rapid clean-up, only that pre-HM Meteors shouldn't be a 3-second endeavor with no risk. Will definitely look into it.

Some quick summoning changes:

-buff Pygmy throwing velocity through the roof
-remove piercing from Retinazer (as mentioned before)

Some not-so-quick summoning changes:

-remove tag damage "debuff" immunity from all enemies
-change Sharknado AI to slower version of Raven AI while keeping the projectiles as they are
-change Deadly Sphere damage to non-piercing
-make Desert Tiger actually latch onto enemies like Spiders do, instead of bouncing on them and easily falling off. Simply changing AI to spider should be an improvement
-make Frost Hydra deal contact damage and knockback

other:
-remove diminishing returns from shadowbeam staff and blood thorn
-add knockback to magical harp
-make chlorophyte claymore orb bounce on the ground
-make poison/venom staff fangs converge at cursor location, forming an elliptical shape similar to sanguine/zenith
-make CB Cannon and jousting lance angle adjustable

Some of these I'm on board with. I'm interested in looking into Pygmy velocity, "tag damage immunity" is basically a bug.

For the Sharknados, are you proposing the tornados themselves chase after enemies? That would be a pretty dramatic change . . . I'd rather look into increasing their attack speed or velocity in other regards, presumably to better match the power of Xeno Staff. Which, on that note, I think Xeno Staff might be a tad too strong, tbh.

Diminishing returns on Blood Thorn? It doesn't have Shadowbeam Protocol, unless I'm tremendously missing something. I've already discussed Blood Thorn with you previously, but I haven't started any balance change process, so it might be best to wait and see what happens.

I'd actually like to look into reducing Shadowbeam Protocol on Shadowbeam Staff, but not removing it. I think it was a tad overnerfed, but the fundamental concept behind the change was fine.

Chloro Orb bounce could be neat, I don't know if its an easy change or not though, haven't tried. If it requires AI rewrites, it isn't likely to happen.

I don't think you "can" make Deadly Sphere non-piercing, though it could feasibly have local frames, where each projectile has its own timer, and they don't conflict with each other. I'm not sure it needs it though, same with Retinamini. Both would require a lot of testing for me to make those adjustments. I don't really consider them bad summons.

Tiger Staff probably can't latch on like you describe. I'd like to boost it, but its not going to have Spider AI . . .

A great set of suggestions, but this suggestion in particular I think is easier said than done. It would require significant mechanical and animation adjustments. Thematically and visually, I don't think the change would suit it. Changing the AI would be far too much work for the devs, especially when there's nothing preventing the current AI from being improved.

I think the best solution is to improve the current AI's reactivity, accuracy, and ability to stay on target. It should be harder for the Tiger it to fall off as it leaps back and forth, and it should remain "locked on" to the enemy it's attacking. If it gets separated from its target, it should instantly use its sphere attack to get back on target and keep attacking. Alternately, it could be changed so that it's impossible for it to fall off, with enemies just carrying it along with them as it bounces back and forth.

Also, while it's attacking it should be able to go through blocks.

Ironically, a lot of people underestimate how hard it is to "fix" Summon AI. Its kinda funny to say that changing it to use Spider AI would be too much work, while then saying "just fix all of its other AI issues", which would be a ton of work. It would probably be easier, actually, to just make it use Spider AI, but I don't support that change.

Not sure what the problem is. Combined with Infinite Quiver, this is effectively Infinite Fire Arrows. We weren't going to add Infinite Quivers for every type of arrow, but that's what this allows. I think that's is sufficient.
That means that it should give the Endless Quiver a flat 2 damage buff, correct? Because wooden arrows have 5 damage while Fire arrows have 7? Which actually does seem like a good sidegrade...

But unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, I tested with a wooden bow, using the magic quiver and the molten quiver seperately. With the magic quiver, I was getting 10 damage (8 if it was a low roll), and with the molten quiver... I was also getting 10 damage. Could you perhaps change it so that it really is like using flaming arrows instead of just giving them the debuff? You could probably replicate it by having it give all wooden arrows (and only wooden arrows) 4 armor penetration while the molten quiver is equipped, if just having it add 2 flat damage to them is too hard to implement.

I feel like if this is the closest we're getting to an endless fire quiver, it should at least have the increased damage that an endless fire quiver should have. Especially if it takes up an accessory slot.

Last edited:
That means that it should give the Endless Quiver a flat 2 damage buff, correct? Because wooden arrows have 5 damage while Fire arrows have 7? Which actually does seem like a good sidegrade...

But unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, I tested with a wooden bow, using the magic quiver and the molten quiver seperately. With the magic quiver, I was getting 10 damage (8 if it was a low roll), and with the molten quiver... I was also getting 10 damage. Could you perhaps change it so that it really is like using flaming arrows instead of just giving them the debuff? You could probably replicate it by having it give all wooden arrows (and only wooden arrows) 4 armor penetration while the molten quiver is equipped, if just having it add 2 flat damage to them is too hard to implement.

I feel like if this is the closest we're getting to an endless fire quiver, it should at least have the increased damage that an endless fire quiver should have. Especially if it takes up an accessory slot.

Confirmed your findings on my end, and made a report for it. It was my understanding that this was how it was supposed to work, so unless I was wrong, it seems like a bug.

Ironically, a lot of people underestimate how hard it is to "fix" Summon AI. Its kinda funny to say that changing it to use Spider AI would be too much work, while then saying "just fix all of its other AI issues", which would be a ton of work. It would probably be easier, actually, to just make it use Spider AI, but I don't support that change.
I've been thinking about it for a while, and Spider AI would actually make a ton of sense. Spiders are a dominant force against enemies on the ground, and I'm of the opinion that they have among the strongest solo performances on non-summoner builds, since one spider can shut down a single enemy reliably. This would translate pretty well to a summoning weapon that can only have one minion. I think a reasonable goal for now is to give it the niche of "best anti-ground minion", and that's not a high bar when your only competition is the Pygmy Staff and Pirate Staff. The similarly-tiered Raven Staff is designed to be better for anti-air; the problem is, the Desert Tiger is so flawed that the Raven ends up also being better for anti-ground.

Optic Staff and Deadly Sphere Staff are quite bad, actually. Their single-target DPS is hard-capped at (listed base damage x 6). On my build, that translated to ~350 DPS for the Optic Staff, and ~600 DPS for the Deadly Sphere Staff. The former is about on par with ClockRifle + Endless Musket Pouch, and the latter is like... less than half of a Seedler, by my estimation.

Optic Staff and Deadly Sphere Staff are quite bad, actually. Their single-target DPS is hard-capped at (listed base damage x 6). On my build, that translated to ~350 DPS for the Optic Staff, and ~600 DPS for the Deadly Sphere Staff. The former is about on par with ClockRifle + Endless Musket Pouch, and the latter is like... less than half of a Seedler, by my estimation.

Not sure I'm following the logic there. Not all of your damage is coming from the minions. So if the minions alone are doing an entire CAR's worth, and then you can be rolling a Megashark or Durendal or what have you . . . summoner is designed to be Summon Damage + Player Damage = Total damage.

TBH, I never heard any negative complaints about Optic Staff before the addition of Sanguine and maybe Blade Staff, so maybe they are the issue, not the other way around. Optic Staff is even stronger than it was in 1.3 because it uses its own frames . . . hmm, just had a thought. I need to look into something.

EDIT: Okay, found a bug. Well, a mistake. I was confused at what you were asking about with the Optic Staff thing, but it looks like the local immunity frames were applied to the Retinamini projectile itself, and NOT its laser. THAT was not intended. I'm not sure if that resolves your balance adjustment, but I intend to fix that.

So if the minions alone are doing an entire CAR's worth
I think it's fair to expect your minions to perform better than that when you have six of them. Pirates and Raven scale with minion capacity, but Twins reach their performance limit when their cap reaches 3 or so.

Testing all the minions side-by-side should make the Optic + Deadly Sphere Staff's flaws much more apparent.

Edit: just read what you wrote about the immunity frames. My concern was about Rez interfering with Spaz, but if the fix ends up solving that issue, that'll be super cool. That said, I'm still not a fan of all the Rez lasers interfering with each other, which is why I advocated non-piercing.

Last edited:
I don't really care about balancing, I don't really care about NPC Happiness, I don't really care about whip flasks.

I care about the summoner, and playing as one.

Please don't leave the Summoner like this.

Fix Summoner's progression.

I don't really care about balancing, I don't really care about NPC Happiness, I don't really care about whip flasks.

I care about the summoner, and playing as one.

Please don't leave the Summoner like this.

Fix Summoner's progression.

Well this is a balance thread, so if you don't care about balancing, you may be in the wrong place.

I can't authorize the addition of new items. Anything on my laundry list that requires a new item has an extremely reduced chance of being approved. I'm happy to look into Summoner improvements where I can, but if you don't really respect the purpose of this thread, you may not get much benefit from posting in it.

According to the wiki, the terraprisma has pink rarity, someone confirm ingame please. I mean, it should not have pink rarity.
Edit: beenades are rarity zero, that's weird as well

Some stuff:

* Chain Guillotines and Light Discs should keep going after hitting an enemy, making them able to hit multiple times. Right now they are almost completely outclassed by Yoyos as a mid-ranged melee weapon in both DPS and safety, and a change in mechanics like this would prevent the opposite from being the case. This would be a solid buff to PHM boomerangs as well, if the Possessed Hatchet treatment ends up being too much.

* Bananarangs are a very rare drop from a very rare enemy from a very rare event that we are supposed to get 10 copies of. They are also practically identical to Light Discs, something that may or may not need to be changed.

* Molotovs are too hard to get. They are ridiculously powerful so the Pink Gel in the recipe is justified, but even if Pinky drops 50 Pink Gel (the max amount), that's only enough for 250 of those, and that runs out pretty quickly (Just EoC requires about two full stacks of them). Raising the amount crafted at a time to 8 or 10 would be enough.

* Unholy Arrows are also way too hard to stack up on early on. Devourers are relatively rare and at most you'll only get Worm Teeth for 40 of these (not to mention that they can't be crafted in Crimson worlds). We should be able to get at least 20 per craft, much like Jester's arrows (which pretty much outclass them and are now easier to obtain than ever)

* Flower of Fire needs some help; piercing for the Fireball would be nice.

* Going back to Night's Edge and Breaker Blade being clones of each other, what if Breaker Blade...

1591729675947.png

It looks ridiculous, I know, but it fits perfectly, sets it apart from the Ore Swords and Night's Edge, and hopefully makes it as useful as the other WoF drops.

If it ends up being overpowered (I doubt it, it has 0 direct effect in its already low DPS), we can always move its new ability to Night's Edge (who would love it when fighting WoF and killing its low-health Hungries quicker, and would help declone these swords even further).

* Harpoon.

* Flying Knife needs a bigger hitbox. The thing is pretty small and its "dance" around your cursor isn't helping.

* The Frost Hydra should have infinite "penetration". This would allow it to deal contact damage without disappearing, therefore increasing its DPS massively if used correctly. I did that in my mod, and it's not at all a weak change:

HydraContact.gif

Last edited:
Please increase speed of digging molecart when digging/laying tracks.
At current 6mph it's impractical to use, especially since it's competing with "skyrail" and "hellrail(?)" which you can build while riding any regular cart at around 12mph without any items, and at 21mph with brick layer.
Having to hold directional button the whole time while laying tracks is somewhat annoying too.

-Jota's suggestions-

1. Interesting idea for Guillotines, I've been brainstorming solutions for it. Not sure I'm convinced that Light Discs should be the same, given how many you can put down range at once, would have to test it.

2. I'd have to re-assess them, they are kind of a weird place. Super rare, but they are pre-mech, so its a strange situation with them.

3. I'll be honest, I virtually never used Molotovs, even when they were in their original broken variant. I'd be game for a re-assessment, but probably not a huge one.

4. You can buy Unholy Arrows directly, not sure they need an adjustment. Jester Arrows are on my radar though.

5. I'll check it out if I've got some time, pre-HM Magic Weapons aren't something I've had a ton of time to review.

6. Uhh . . . IDK about that . . .

7. Trivia moment, Harpoon was the first weapon I ever tried to buff, back when I was first learning code. Red said if I could buff it successfully without changing its damage, I could keep the buff. I failed to create something decent. But I'm a better coder now, so we will see.

8. Will look into it, not convinced its a necessary thing.

9. Frost Hydra has been on my radar, but I'm not sure I'm too keen about this particular idea. Seems like it would be pretty abusable, unless the immunity frames on it were really freaking long. Would be more interested in giving piercing to the projectiles, maybe with some Shadowbeam Protocol as a mitigating factor.

Flamingo - Appears to have better velocity & is cheaper compared to a Horse. Max Speed and Jump height are mostly same. Together with its ability to swim on water I don't see any reason to invest gold on a horse if I can buy a better mount for a cheaper price instead.
Lava Shark - With the right fishing loot it's easy to obtain & outshines the Hardy Saddle in almost every point. But moving it to Hardmode will make it useless since it's only useful in liquid and Hellstone Bars become useless in Hardmode.
Pogo Stick - Not that useful since it's expensive and pretty late available, but also because the Slimy Saddle has almost the same abilities but can be obtained earlier.
Dark Mage's Tome - Feels useless right now and outshined by other mounts with more velocity etc.
Goat Skull - That kind of reskin isn't really my taste, but I dunno what others think about it. Other than that, it's literally just a 25% chance to skip the need to farm a Blessed Apple. Can we get some any special mechanics on it, like adding fire damage to the fire tail (or at least incinerating enemies when dashing through them) or walking on lava.
The Black Spot - This mount is just overpowered, it's way too early obtainable (literally free) and makes cheesing bosses too easy since you can outrun almost any boss in Terraria with it, and you don't even need to build a long bridge or anything to perform that. Combined with the Shield of Cthulhu you can also totally ignore the low velocity (dismount, dash, and mount again to gain full speed in less than a second). That one deserves a max speed nerf, as a compensation it might become the ability to launch weak cannonballs over time at enemies located below the Black Spot, similar to the Flying Dutchman. Getting some interesting mechanics feels more enjoyable than ways to cheese bosses in Master Mode.
Witch's Broom - Feels disappointing due to the fact that it's just a not so modern copy of the ufo. It's more like an alternative way for Expert Mode players to get an infinite flying mount, removing the point to grind for an ufo if you manage to get this.
Hexxed Branch - Pretty fast, but it's lacking some other kind of vertical mobility, like a double jump.

Also whenever I use the Jousting Lance or any other weapons against mobs, it appears to remove the 1/10 invulnerability seconds you gain when dashing through them and causing you to take damage (It might also be the knockback which causes you to take longer to pass). This is especially bad in Master Mode, where enemies deal way more damage, making Jousting Lances useless against mobs.

*Sandstorm in a Bottle*
I have a feeling that, much like "Basilisks drop fossils", it would be not relevant anymore at that point. I'm still looking for a better solution I can sell.
While that feels true for Players who rely on Wings, others who might rely on Mounts like the Hexxed Branch to outrun bosses easier might still prefer to have a Sandstorm in a Bottle/Balloon rather than good Wings, since Wings can't be used while mounted. I feel like it would be a nice addon if the Sandstorm in a Bottle would drop from Sand Elementals to get access to the Triple Jump accessory, similar to how Ice Golems can drop Ice Feathers which can be used for Wings.

Also about Sandstorm: Lately I tried to farm some Forbidden Fragments, but to do so I required a Sandstorm. Since I didn't want to miss any incoming Sandstorm, I did just afk in the desert till a Sandstorm appeared. So I did afk for 8 realtime hours till I got my first Sandstorm, it lasted for a total of 20 seconds which gave me enough time to spawn up to zero Sand Elementals! Perhaps that event might need a buff in terms of how often it can appear to make the Forbidden Fragments not forbidden for unlucky players or non-afk'lers? Similar to a Blizzard (which occurs when heavy rain appears), it might occur whenever there's a windy day, instead of depending on luck.

Off-Topics:
Avoiding traps in the Jungle Temple is pretty easy if you have access to the Wire Cutter. Would it be possible to give us the ability not to be able to cut wires in the Tempel until we defeat Golem?

Fighting Moon Lord alone is exhausting: It takes a long time to destroy all the Celestial Pillars alone, you'll get only a tiny amount of fragments (which is most likely not enough to craft a Celestial Sigil) and if you die during the fight against Moon Lord, he'll just despawn. But fighting Moon Lord with your friends feels way too easy, especially if you aren't fighting him together but one by one instead. The only case where Moon Lord could succeed would be if he killed everyone in less than 30 seconds, which means that he's only allowed to fight 30 divided by 'amount of players' seconds per player. If he takes more than that, then the players will respawn one by one again. If you all fail against him, then you'll sill have enough ressources to make more than only one Celestial Sigil.
To make the multiplayer fight against Moon Lord bit more exhausting: Why does the Moon Lord actually warp himself individually to each player to finish them one by one instead of warping all the players to him? With his amount of AoE attacks and the player respawn mechanic, he might be better off that way, especially if he manages to finish everyone at once.

The Black Spot - This mount is just overpowered, it's way too early obtainable (literally free) and makes cheesing bosses too easy since you can outrun almost any boss in Terraria with it, and you don't even need to build a long bridge or anything to perform that. Combined with the Shield of Cthulhu you can also totally ignore the low velocity (dismount, dash, and mount again to gain full speed in less than a second). That one deserves a max speed nerf, as a compensation it might become the ability to launch weak cannonballs over time at enemies located below the Black Spot, similar to the Flying Dutchman. Getting some interesting mechanics feels more enjoyable than ways to cheese bosses in Master Mode.

This I disagree with, it's a master mode exclusive item, 4-ish hits and you're dead from basically anything at your level of progression, in my original master mode playthough, I got it before I killed any of the mech bosses and honestly they were still a challenge even while I used it (The dash + mount thing is something that should be nerfed though)

Flamingo - Appears to have better velocity & is cheaper compared to a Horse. Max Speed and Jump height are mostly same. Together with its ability to swim on water I don't see any reason to invest gold on a horse if I can buy a better mount for a cheaper price instead.
Lava Shark - With the right fishing loot it's easy to obtain & outshines the Hardy Saddle in almost every point. But moving it to Hardmode will make it useless since it's only useful in liquid and Hellstone Bars become useless in Hardmode.
Pogo Stick - Not that useful since it's expensive and pretty late available, but also because the Slimy Saddle has almost the same abilities but can be obtained earlier.
Dark Mage's Tome - Feels useless right now and outshined by other mounts with more velocity etc.
Goat Skull - That kind of reskin isn't really my taste, but I dunno what others think about it. Other than that, it's literally just a 25% chance to skip the need to farm a Blessed Apple. Can we get some any special mechanics on it, like adding fire damage to the fire tail (or at least incinerating enemies when dashing through them) or walking on lava.
Witch's Broom - Feels disappointing due to the fact that it's just a not so modern copy of the ufo. It's more like an alternative way for Expert Mode players to get an infinite flying mount, removing the point to grind for an ufo if you manage to get this.
Hexxed Branch - Pretty fast, but it's lacking some other kind of vertical mobility, like a double jump.

Also whenever I use the Jousting Lance or any other weapons against mobs, it appears to remove the 1/10 invulnerability seconds you gain when dashing through them and causing you to take damage (It might also be the knockback which causes you to take longer to pass). This is especially bad in Master Mode, where enemies deal way more damage, making Jousting Lances useless against mobs.

While that feels true for Players who rely on Wings, others who might rely on Mounts like the Hexxed Branch to outrun bosses easier might still prefer to have a Sandstorm in a Bottle/Balloon rather than good Wings, since Wings can't be used while mounted. I feel like it would be a nice addon if the Sandstorm in a Bottle would drop from Sand Elementals to get access to the Triple Jump accessory, similar to how Ice Golems can drop Ice Feathers which can be used for Wings.

Also about Sandstorm: Lately I tried to farm some Forbidden Fragments, but to do so I required a Sandstorm. Since I didn't want to miss any incoming Sandstorm, I did just afk in the desert till a Sandstorm appeared. So I did afk for 8 realtime hours till I got my first Sandstorm, it lasted for a total of 20 seconds which gave me enough time to spawn up to zero Sand Elementals! Perhaps that event might need a buff in terms of how often it can appear to make the Forbidden Fragments not forbidden for unlucky players or non-afk'lers? Similar to a Blizzard (which occurs when heavy rain appears), it might occur whenever there's a windy day, instead of depending on luck.

Off-Topics:
Avoiding traps in the Jungle Temple is pretty easy if you have access to the Wire Cutter. Would it be possible to give us the ability not to be able to cut wires in the Tempel until we defeat Golem?

Fighting Moon Lord alone is exhausting: It takes a long time to destroy all the Celestial Pillars alone, you'll get only a tiny amount of fragments (which is most likely not enough to craft a Celestial Sigil) and if you die during the fight against Moon Lord, he'll just despawn. But fighting Moon Lord with your friends feels way too easy, especially if you aren't fighting him together but one by one instead. The only case where Moon Lord could succeed would be if he killed everyone in less than 30 seconds, which means that he's only allowed to fight 30 divided by 'amount of players' seconds per player. If he takes more than that, then the players will respawn one by one again. If you all fail against him, then you'll sill have enough ressources to make more than only one Celestial Sigil.
To make the multiplayer fight against Moon Lord bit more exhausting: Why does the Moon Lord actually warp himself individually to each player to finish them one by one instead of warping all the players to him? With his amount of AoE attacks and the player respawn mechanic, he might be better off that way, especially if he manages to finish everyone at once.

1. Flamingo and the Horses went through a lot of weird changes and balance adjustments, along with tiering adjustments, at different times. I believe that Flamingo's performance was buffed independently without my knowledge when I was adjusting its Zoologist unlocks, and this resulted in a weird situation. Its something I'd like to look at fixing, but I don't want it to be bad either.

2. Lava Shark, IMO, is fine as it is. Its probably Hardy Saddle that just isn't good, and never has been. It would be neat to buff it but I never got approved to do so in the past.

3. Pogo Stick is a "for fun" mount, and isn't likely to be balance adjusted.

4. Tome is getting a bit of an adjustment due to some oversights with it, namely involving step-ups, but its intended to be a mount-based upgrade on the Flying Carpet accessory. You could probably hover in place with the Bee Mount to some degree, but I don't think any other mounts quite offer that specific niche.

5. I'm pretty happy with where Goat Skull is. Its what we intended for it.

6. When we designed Black Spot, the original goal was "a mount that's good for doing long distance travel, and bad for fights", and it just didn't really occur to us that people would use it for boss kiting, and that wasn't intended. So yeah, its probably going to get nerfed pretty substantially, which I'm sad to see, because its fun, but it ended up being used in a way that was more broken than we intended.

7. Witch's Broom and Hexxed Branch are pretty much where we intended them to be.

8. Sandstorm's rates were heavily nerfed, something I tried to push back against at the time but didn't really have the data points to justify. I'm now pretty sure it was overnerfed and its on my list of things to address. It is likely to remain "lower" than it was in 1.3.5.3, but not as critically low as it is now.

9. Cutting traps in the Temple is acceptable.

Unless you guys wanna either add another enemy to PreHardmode enemy to Sandstorms that drop it or make Pyramids actually accessible in all worlds, with some sort of challenge present in getting it besides having the patience to sit through making a ton of worlds just to get a few items that won't even last you through the whole game, I've got nothin' for you. I don't know what the exact reason is for you being unable to just throw Pyramid items into the Oasis Crate since there was no problem with throwing the Water Walking Boots, Lava Charm, and even the Enchanted Sword into crates, and that last one suffers from the exact same problem the Pyramid Loot does. Granted, fishing for the sword might be WORSE if only because it's so impossibly rare.

Will be a hard sell, and I'm of the opinion that people will just continue to insist "its not enough" anyway. Once I (hopefully) fix the 2% issue on Fire Gauntlet, then its literally just free damage. Doesn't matter if its trivially low, free damage is free damage. Doesn't make Magma Stone much better, but IDK.
But that didn't stop you folks from buffing Cursed Inferno and Venom. (After a little bit of testing, actually, I think both 24 and 30 DPS are usable for a decent time. Did the values get corrected in a patch?)
You yourself also said On Fire was a "dead debuff", meaning the problem IS apparent to you guys. If it's very obviously a bad debuff, making a sell for a version of it that players can actually get a noticeable damage bonus from shouldn't be impossible, especially when put alongside the other Debuff damage increases.

I said it was more of a nitpick because a melee accessory was used for a ranged item, so I'm not sure where you thought an actual problem was. I even admitted that the item would actually be a good idea if you gave the Magma Stone the stronger debuff. And, by the way, I did make this suggestion assuming that the flaming arrows weren't actually the Flaming Arrows in damage.
I WILL take back that nitpick, though, as this might be one of the most interesting tinkers you guys have actually made so far, ignoring On Fire. It's visually cool and adds a noticeable effect that could potentially be really helpful, unlike some of the other items you guys have implemented throughout the years, like Ice Skates.

I'm not sure about this, would be a difficult sell but . . . maybe. I have no idea the technical limitations of this, and it wouldn't work on a lot of melee weapons. I'll put it in my notes.
Yeah, the bonus would mainly help the melee weapons with the shortest range, which is actually perfect.

I am EXTREMELY hesitant to make a blanket Thorns buff of that severity. I already felt like the Turtle Armor buff was playing with fire. An additional 3x increase will never happen in one update. MAYBE in small iterations. And making Thorns Pot/Dryad's Blessing 2x as strong as current Turtle Armor is a pretty bold push. More iteration please, this is too sledgehammer.
While Thorns may be the only useful on-hit effect because it actually deals more damage according to how much damage you take, you should remember that enemies can have a lot more health than the player, especially when there's a bunch of enemies or you're fighting a boss; a simple 100 or 200% against a single enemy doesn't compensate for the hit you take at all. Thorns, specifically, also doesn't return damage when you get hit by a projectile, which is bad because basically the entire game becomes projectile spam the later into it you get. That's actually part of why I suggested the new effect for the Pocket Mirror (I'll address your concerns with that in a bit).
Now, if you don't want to be instantly killing normal enemies with Thorns (understandable), perhaps you can keep the damage low (maybe a tiny buff, depending) and instead make all nearby enemies take damage from it. It whittles down a bunch of enemies without being visibly over-the-top, though this becomes a lot less useful if there aren't many enemies nearby. Maybe it could deal more damage based on proximity to the player to make up for this and to add some further reward to getting in close to enemies.

I'm just trying to get the point across that Thorns needs a major buff. Test things out and adjust, but don't just make tiny baby changes over several updates, because, from what you guys have told us, there ain't a lot of update left.

Free defense is free defense. It doesn't need to be higher just because it exists. These are not bad items that need a buff.
It's more of a higher-difficulty problem, as "free defense" doesn't mean anything outside of Normal Mode due to the amazing design that is "just multiply enemy stats by 2 or 3". But I suppose the Worm Scarf and the unnecessarily-buffed Brain of Confusion are probably gonna outclass it, anyways, so
EscenceShrug.png

This is not a balance change. This is a content addition which would probably create dozens of bugs and require a phenomenal amount of testing and dev time. Nuh-uh.
Thought as much. I was looking to propose what is effectively an opposite to Thorns; an effect that retaliates against projectiles only instead of contact only. Seeing the whole thing with Medusa and the mirror, it makes sense.
I won't dwell on that, though. The real problem with this item is that it's even MORE useless than the Ice Skates, miraculously. The mirror protects you from a single enemy in the game, and, as with all Debuff Immunity accessories, you're not going to use them by themselves. By the time you get the Ankh Shield, you're probably not going to be encountering most of those debuffs anymore, meaning you've just wasted your time farming for nothing. If you could get all of these immunity items in PreHardmode, they'd actually mean something later on, which is a much better design than any of the Debuff Immunity accessories currently have.
But this doesn't apply to the Pocket Mirror, as it only applies to one tiny biome that you could easily avoid since, like the Granite and Underworld biomes, you don't have any incentive to go back there in Hardmode unless you need a few more blocks for building. That's why I think it might need an additional effect. You could real creative with it, too, and if you tinkered it into the finished Ankh Shield and made a Mirror Shield, you'd be able to fit in another neat reference, since the team apparently likes making a lot of them now.

I fundamentally do not agree with removing content. Sorry, I will never support removing vanity items just for their own sake. I think you might need to just accept this one as-is.
Neither do I, trust me, but these and the Fairy Boots seem like items that shouldn't have been added in the first place. I'm still trying to find a function for the Ice Skates that's more significant than "Hey, my boots are blue now.
"I could have used a Dye for this."
I'm sorry; I'm adamant about those things.
"""Title""" of the game shown here, for context: Small Mario
Yes, it's Jontron, he swears. There's your warning :red:
Replace "Mario" with "niche", including the one in "Small Mario".

Just
put down platforms. We can build, dude.
Alternatively, just give the Water Walking Boots the "can't fall through thin ice" ability, which makes sense and also eliminates the threat of the Chilling water underneath the Thin Ice. That's really the only thing not falling through Thin Ice will prevent, anyways, and if you already broke through some earlier, you've already further reduced the usefulness of the skates.

Oh, and since I saw this just now:
7. Trivia moment, Harpoon was the first weapon I ever tried to buff, back when I was first learning code. Red said if I could buff it successfully without changing its damage, I could keep the buff. I failed to create something decent. But I'm a better coder now, so we will see.
I thought of a simple concept for a solution, but I'll put it in a spoiler since I don't know if you already have an idea or not.
Make it so the Harpoon gets stuck on an enemy if it hits on the way forward. Pressing attack again would pull it out from the enemy and deal a guaranteed critical hit (or just double damage, though Red's requirement makes me think that might not fly). Otherwise, it'd work the same.
This would give the Harpoon better single-target damage without having to get up close and use it like a Spear.

8. Sandstorm's rates were heavily nerfed, something I tried to push back against at the time but didn't really have the data points to justify. I'm now pretty sure it was overnerfed and its on my list of things to address. It is likely to remain "lower" than it was in 1.3.5.3, but not as critically low as it is now.
I didn't know that, I probably missed it in the changelog. Though I highly suspected it, I spent days waiting for a sandstorm to craft the forbidden armor when I was playing summoner and I had to give up and go on because I didn't get a single one. It would be helpful to have a sandstorm equivalent to the Bloody Tear from the blood moon, but since you said it's unlikely you can push for new items to be added I won't hope for it.

As for small balance changes, not sure if drop rates are considered "balance" but considering Enchanted Sword enemies are already pretty rare, the Blade Staff should be a tiny bit more common.
Also, I think the new Rainbow Rod is a bit too good. Not sure what I'd change but I had a very easy time defeating Skeletron Prime and specially the Destroyer with it, even on Master Mode, and I wasn't even using mage equipment, I was using summoner. And no, the summons weren't doing that much damage, it was mostly the Rainbow Rod. I don't think it's THAT much of a deal, but one or two less points of damage could work. I was thinking maybe a mana cost increase, but I think it's already high enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom