Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making frozen platforms have ice physics.
Yeah, I'm not sure why they don't already. Same could be said of the honey platforms not acting like honey blocks.

On the other hand, I have a feeling that odd physics could happen if you're inside that block but not actually on it? Can't really tell on the solid blocks because there's no way to do so, but platforms allow you to be under them while still being in their space. Might not be an issue, might be an issue.

Semi related; RIP Platform elevators. Could we at least get a platform version of the conveyor belt to make escalators? :derp:

Yeah, I'm not sure why they don't already. Same could be said of the honey platforms not acting like honey blocks.

On the other hand, I have a feeling that odd physics could happen if you're inside that block but not actually on it? Can't really tell on the solid blocks because there's no way to do so, but platforms allow you to be under them while still being in their space. Might not be an issue, might be an issue.

Semi related; RIP Platform elevators. Could we at least get a platform version of the conveyor belt to make escalators? :derp:
What do you mean rip platform elevators?

I have small but interesting idea for 1.4.1: new buff icons for some debuffs. If I remember correctly all debuffs caused by old one's army weapons ( for example " oiled" or betsys wrath ) have the most basic icon: blue and white background of buffs. Second is daybroken debuff, it's buff icon from stardust dragon summon. I know that they probably can't be applied to players but: 1) there are some mods that have mobs that are immune to those debuffs and they look really bad on the wiki page 2) it kinda just bothers me. It isn't that hard to do and I would be really happy about it

Buffs that can't be applied to players don't really need icons. The icons are only placeholder, because the system automatically requires one to match the corresponding Buff ID.

You literally can never see them in-game, and so there is no need to expend artist time on invisible content that 0% of players can see. That people have pulled those icons and put them on the wiki is really not a significant issue. If it is significantly impacting modder documentation, then they could implement their own buff icons to represent them. Could be done via texture pack (though, again, not that anyone would ever see them).

There is a way to test that, by actuating ice blocks and reactivating them when the player is inside them.

I just had an idea for buffing the ice skates without directly buffing the ice skates: making frozen platforms have ice physics.
It makes perfect sense thematically and gives you the ability to actually use them in boss arenas and benefit from their incredibly high acceleration and turning speed that’s normally limited to ice there.

Interesting idea, and it sounds like not a complicated coding job (not that I know anything about coding) but again, big changes to thing are beyond the priority list now. ;(

Not sure what you mean by this. I don't know myself, but I think you can hammer conveyor belts (not sure, correct me if I'm wrong) and if it's for players, hoiks exist for fast vertical movement. Even if it's not official and it's technically a bug, it's not like the devs are really trying to get rid of it. There's a very good video by Khaios if you want a compact, very good hoik elevator. (What the h as I said Khaios said YouTuber uploaded a video XD)

100 pages btw love this community

Not sure what you mean by this. I don't know myself, but I think you can hammer conveyor belts (not sure, correct me if I'm wrong) and if it's for players, hoiks exist for fast vertical movement. Even if it's not official and it's technically a bug, it's not like the devs are really trying to get rid of it. There's a very good video by Khaios if you want a compact, very good hoik elevator. (What the h as I said Khaios said YouTuber uploaded a video XD)
It is official. The devs couldn't fix it and said 'screw dat' and proclaimed it a feature. (To be fair, fixing it would probably have required a complete overhaul to the collision system)

I don’t have much to say but...

1. I think the shadow jousting lance needs shadowflame to make it little more unique and interesting, plus it has shadow in the name :p

2. This one isn’t as important but I think the kaleidoscope needs some added effect (because it’s pretty much the best endgame whip), whether this is a debuff or projectile is up to the developers.

3. This one is the most important thing on the list... The Phantasm needs a tagline. Like, all the other celestial weapons all say epic cosmic stuff while the Phantasm only says “66% percent chance to not consume 🤪”, it’s just a personal issue but it‘s something I believe is important 😔

That’s all I have to say, I know it’s not as professional as all the rest but I think it’s still good c:

also this is my first time on the forums, just saying Incase 🤪

Last edited:
It is official. The devs couldn't fix it and said 'screw dat' and proclaimed it a feature. (To be fair, fixing it would probably have required a complete overhaul to the collision system)

Not quite right. We CAN fix hoiking, but we elected not to do so because of the impact it would have on all of the hoik-based contraptions.

The current situation is actually more work than just fixing it, as we've embraced the bug as a literal feature, and so we have to protect it against being broken. We actually "bug fix" hoiking sometimes to make sure hoiks still work, and sometime hoiking causes worse bugs that we have to workaround because we can't fix them without fixing hoiking. Its a surprisingly delicate dance.

We could have fixed it years ago, probably in a reasonable amount of time, but so far we've stuck with our choice for better or worse.

Golem STILL needs buffed

You can try For the Worthy seed, at least for me, even normal mode Golem is pretty difficult.

but what about starlight, a literal POST GOLEM TRUE MELEE WEAPON?

For me, it works well and should be left as it is (with right gears, it can beat FTW master lunatic cultist easily and helps greatly on Golem. it also helps on post-plantera dungeon). Also, at least for me, it is a post-plantera gear, both progress-wise and technically.

Not quite right. We CAN fix hoiking, but we elected not to do so because of the impact it would have on all of the hoik-based contraptions.

The current situation is actually more work than just fixing it, as we've embraced the bug as a literal feature, and so we have to protect it against being broken. We actually "bug fix" hoiking sometimes to make sure hoiks still work, and sometime hoiking causes worse bugs that we have to workaround because we can't fix them without fixing hoiking. Its a surprisingly delicate dance.

We could have fixed it years ago, probably in a reasonable amount of time, but so far we've stuck with our choice for better or worse.
Oh riiiiight. Sorry.

Let's talk about some underused potions:

1598015166586.png
Thorns

Behold the worst potion in the game. Turns out that in a game where there can be many enemies at one time on the screen and where the bosses (and even some enemies) have hundreds of times more health than the player, the ability to return 33% of contact damage to one target is completely useless.

It'd be interesting if the potion dealt its damage in an AOE, that way it can get a lot of use against early bosses that use weak minions that would actually die or be greatly hurt by the thorns ping (EoC, Queen Bee and EoW/BoC).

Additionally, I want to ask who the hell thought up this recipe for it

1598016678570.png

1598015965618.png
Swiftness

Given how Movement Speed works (or more accurately, doesn't work) in this game I think the move speed buff from this can afford to go to +40% like Tier 3 Well Fed. It will still be somewhat useless once Hermes Boots are obtained (unless I'm underrating that marginal acceleration boost it gives to them) but it'll work very well until then.

1598015296208.png
Inferno Potion

Behold the second worst potion in the game, with only one real use against Duke Fishron where it pops his Detonating Bubbles (and isn't even good at it, not to mention that the bubbles are his easiest attack)

I think a bigger ring and more knockback would help but other than that idk what to do to this one.

1598015687521.png
Strange Brew

It restores a humongous amount of Mana as well as some Health but that's not a good thing in a game where Health and Mana Potions are diametrically opposed in use. Pretty much the only time someone would use this potion is when you find the Skeleton Merchant before a Glowing Mushroom biome that grants you access to Healing Pots.

The healing could be raised to 90/100 but really it just needs a full rework since the core concept doesn't work in the first place.

1598015937092.png
Titan Potion

Ok I don't want to say that Knockback is a worthless stat but this potion kinda is? I think the real issue is that it's locked to Post-Skeletron with the random Bone in the recipe, so it can't be obtained early on where the effect would matter the most.

I also think it'd be nice if it increased knockback by a flat 1 on top of the 50% increase, that way weapons with 0 base knockback can benefit from it.

1598016356031.png
Flask of Nanites

I guess it can be useful in the Dungeon but that's about it. Nanites just need a new effect that isn't as tricky to work with as Confused, to be honest.

1598016434103.png
1598016429223.png
Flask of Fire/Poison

These two flasks should be somehow made obtainable earlier on, because Post Queen Bee is right where their DoT becomes worthless.

Last edited:
1598015937092.png
Titan Potion

Ok I don't want to say that Knockback is a worthless stat but this potion kinda is? I think the real issue is that it's locked to Post-Skeletron with the random Bone in the recipe, so it can't be obtained early on where the effect would matter the most.
One important thing to note is that they were indirectly buffed in 1.4 as they appear in chests and pots now, but that’s not really relevant to fixing the fact you don’t have any reason for crafting this.

Let's talk about some underused potions:

Good point, the thorns potion could give a higher damage reflection and stack with turtle armor (at least give some value to tanking players), the swiftness is only useful early on or for running on that special asphalt blocks, it could instead give increased maxium speed for boots and wings.

I would also like to add three luck potions, by default, they are useful for increasing luck, but the problem is first, luck is not that important in fighting a boss (0.1 luck gives about 0.5% damage increasing dealing and 0.5% damage decreasing receiving). It also give some improving about mob farming, but the time is too short to give significant difference. Then, especially the greater one, it is too rare to actually have any use in non-journey mode.

Suggestion: increasing the time of three potions (and adjust the luck modification of time left accordingly), like with 10, 20 and 50 min, and also increasing to chance for obtaining white pearl (like 100% chance for a pearl from oyster, and most likely to be white)

Agreed on the luck potions, but if the duration goes up that much, the frequency of pearls doesn’t need to go up that much. They’re not just about straight damage in a fight, they’re also good for drop farming and fishing, or would be if they lasted long enough to be worthwhile. Strange Brew is a super-mana potion that hits you with Potion Sickness too.
Titan is perhaps helpful in crowds for
Melee types. While I’m at it, the Summoning potion needs more duration too... especially since if you let it run out, you need to resummon after you autobuff.

Agreed on the luck potions, but if the duration goes up that much, the frequency of pearls doesn’t need to go up that much. They’re not just about straight damage in a fight, they’re also good for drop farming and fishing, or would be if they lasted long enough to be worthwhile.

The issue with luck potions is that the materials so absurdly rare that there really is no point, the hours it could take to get a Black or especially Pink Pearl are better spent in your farm, grinding for what you need.

For luck potions to actually be worth their while, they need a much higher Pearl drop rate more than they need a longer duration, though they still need both.

First of all, Kudos for the team, for all the effort and love put in the game and community
I am glad some accesories that needed rework actually received that, like the glove(melee) upgrade, it's cool you can burn enemies and your weapons receive that visual fire upgrade, but that damage lose it's a considerable amount rn, another change i liked it was the star rework, i have never used the star cloak or similar, just the mana cloak because it look cool, even if it's not the best accesory for bosses
I am not going to talk if it's OP or not, but i like you can get the wings in a normal mode
I would have liked to see a bundle of ballons with sharkron,fart and honey, mainly because you can always craft those three, and triple jump is always a good effect
And finally i think it should be cool a "memorize/preference" for accesories, in the past you could use any accesory in vanity, like the shiny stone, and if you wanted to use that effect you simply right click, but now you can't, i think it should be cool if for example i manually put the stone in the 3rd slot, then i equip a wings( or any accesory) in the 3rd slot, then if i right click the shiny stone in the inventory it replace the 3rd slot, and if i right click the wings again, it replace the shiny stone

Fantastic changes!

I really like the change to the Mana Cloak, as I am in a FTW Master Mode mage playthrough, and the stars are a lot more menacing now.

Also these melee buffs are great!

I have a problem. The obsidian armor should be buffed.
The obsidian can be fairly hard to get and so can the cobwebs. A set of Silver/Tungsten armor has more defense and is easier to get since without bombs, you cant get obsidian until you defeat the Eater of Worlds. Even with bombs, you will need to explore deep underground to find lava for a generator or a place where water and lava meet. Also, you need 210 cobwebs, which that many can be hard to get, even with a large spider cave. I suggest that the obsidian armor be given +8% damage for the longcoat, 10% increased movement speed for the pants, and +8% crit chance for the hat. Also I would give it a set bonus of 20% increased jump height and 20% increased jump speed. This way the armor will be a lot more useful for all classes and a good option for playthroughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom