Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hermes Boots have tinker-compatible alternatives in both the Snow and Desert biomes, as well as via Fishing. You say that isn't reliable or are equally rare, but I consider this quite an array of sources for getting such an item.
Indeed, boots have a few alternatives, but due to their overall rarity it doesn't really matter in the long term. Aside from exploring simply accessible parts of 2-3 biomes to increase the chest loot sample size (which you still need to get to without boots, and Desert is another can of tomb crawlers)
I'd give an example: Slime Staff has a total of ~18 Pre-HM sources but still is widely considered an extremely rare item. A bit of exaggeration, but hopefully that'd be enough.

Then again: it's not me being salty about not having boots 15 minutes after I enter the world. It's about how this item ends up being a handicap/stale goal to complete in so many runs for no greater reason than randomness, to the point where several hours are spent looting only for them,
... and about how they are one of the least replaceable items.

Taking the Lucky Horseshoe as an example: You can negate fall damage without one with: nearly guaranteed to encounter Grappling Hooks, somewhat reliable Rocket Boots/upgrades, any Double Jump bottles, upcoming Fledgling Wings, certain mounts, could even go as far as placing/seeking for cobweb/water, and even partially negate it with Frog Leg. Fair share of possibilities for a secondary mechanic (because it can also be negated with careful landscape designing/traversing)

Now, the Boot accessories. What would be the analogues? Some mounts, movement speed stacking, and partially speeding up by Grappling Hooks. That's for a mechanic that you cannot really avoid: walking faster.

Not the sweetest way to let players play the game, to be honest. I can endure that (hell, there is a whole playthrough of not moving by legs in first place), but that's not particularly enjoyable design to stumble across regularly.

The thing with boots is, no matter where you go (or fish), you'll come up with some version of them eventually. Also, for the fall resistance you forgot Umbrellas -- I've used that and a Gravitation Potion to find my sky islands.

A solution to the hermes boots problem could be to make the swiftness potion grant an equivelent effect to the hermes boots. This would allow players who get rng screwed to still run fast in the early boss fights, and since hermes boots type accesories have combos later on the potion won't make the boots obsolete.

It won't make it obsolete until hardmode, where you get wings and now have zero reason to keep those terraspark boots if a swiftness and maybe water walking potion does everything they can.

Speaking of gems, it seems a little odd to me that all of them have the exact same chance of spawning, despite power differences. There is zero difference in the effort required to get amethyst and to get diamond, despite the fact diamond is orders of magnitude better. Maybe the low-tier gems like topaz and amethyst could be a little more common than gems like emerald and sapphire, and the high-tier gems like Ruby and Diamond could be a little rarer.
Not true on console

Xbox One, and I highly dout Re-Logic would purposefully remove gem progression costs in 1.3. There's no reason for them to.
Speaking of gems, it seems a little odd to me that all of them have the exact same chance of spawning, despite power differences. There is zero difference in the effort required to get amethyst and to get diamond, despite the fact diamond is orders of magnitude better. Maybe the low-tier gems like topaz and amethyst could be a little more common than gems like emerald and sapphire, and the high-tier gems like Ruby and Diamond could be a little rarer.

They didn’t. Diamonds and rubies are significantly rarer than lower tier gems, and cost about 3 silver 50 copper more per tier of gem, as confirmed by the Gamepedia. The cost and rarity of gem CRITTERS are the same, but not for gems themselves.

With the introduction of gem trees and the fact that Extractiantor exists.
Making some gems that spawn naturally rarer won't do much.

Extractinate > create gem corns > seed gem corns > harvest after they matured
I have lifetime supply of gems of every type from my early game gem tree farm i made.

People really underestimate those and how much gems / gemcorns they can drop.
Even with extremely bad luck you will almost always break even with the gem / gemcorn drops.

Last edited:
1. Enchanted Sword Shrines WERE made more rare, but we removed the fake shrines entirely. In total, I believe there are more "real" shrines than there were before, but it feels like less because you don't ever find the fake shrines. However, we are also re-assessing the shrine rates overall for 1.4.1. Not because they were rarer than before, but because the increased need for Enchanted Swords has increased their demand, leading to a perception of being too rare.
The problem is is that the way that 1.4 generates sword shrines makes it impossible to find them without a map viewer or by getting obscenely lucky. You're no worse off now just looking for regular randomly generated enchanted swords.

The problem is is that the way that 1.4 generates sword shrines makes it impossible to find them without a map viewer or by getting obscenely lucky. You're no worse off now just looking for regular randomly generated enchanted swords.

Exactly this. The one block tunnel should extend all the way up to the surface, and if that’s too easy, just four or five blocks short of it. The fact that the entrances tend to be buried 20-30 blocks under means you almost never see them, even if they are decently common.

What i don't understand is why luck is hidden in the first place
It sorta isn't. The Wizard can tell you an approximation of how "lucky" you are. However, there are two main problems with this.
1- This means some players may not even know about luck until they talk to the Wizard in HARDMODE. It's possible to know about it beforehand with luck potions I guess, but there's still no way to measure luck until Hardmode.
2- The Wizard's "luck" dialogue isn't guaranteed. You may just get his regular dialogue. And some players don't even read the dialogue so they might accidentally skip it and not know how to measure luck until they look it up themselves. I myself looked it up and I was confused as to how to get the Wizard to tell me my luck until I realized I have to just open his dialogue box over and over until I eventually get the message where he tells me.
I'm...fine with the luck measurement being in Hardmode, since bad torch luck was almost completely removed. But I wish the Wizard had a "Luck" option like how the guide has a "Crafting" option or the Dryad has "Status".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom